As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Original XBox Games on the 360: Anyone Else Having Problems?

Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
Maybe this would be better put over in Moe's Tech, but I'll put it here for now. Essentially, I've been trying to play some original XBox games on my 360 but I've been having a lot of problems. Here's how it's going right now:

1. I throw a game in and everything seems to load as it should. The white XBox screen shows up and everything.
2. A screen pops up asking me if I'd like to download an update for my game. I press Okay (3a), I press No (3b).

3a. Update downloads, screen disappears.
4. Screen re-appears, asks me if I'd like to download an update for my game.
5. After that point it doesn't matter what I do. Either way, the console tells me my disc is dirty or damaged or something, which it isn't.

3b. Screen goes black, console does nothing. Responds by going back to the dashboard if I eject the disc.

DVD movies load fine, 360 games load fine, so what gives? It's not even like I'm trying to do anything too obscure, just play some Splinter Cell:CT or whatever. Has anyone had this problem? Google turns up bupkis.

Drunk_caterpillar on

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    First things first:

if you unplug the network cable from your 360 and load up the OXbox game, does it work?

FyreWulff on
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Could be a lot of things, but I would start with trying to delete the backwards compatibility patch which is likely stored in memory-HDD. If Splinter Cell is the only game giving you issues, try deleting all the content for that game.

I would clear the HDD cache before redownloading the patch as well, using the code X,X,Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X in the memory section.

Sanders on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Backcompat on the 360 is really squirrely, for a lot of the titles that are supposed to be compatible. Never could get Sniper Elite working. It locks up when loading the first mission, every time and in the exact same place. Never on the oXBox, just on the 360. It's happened on two different 360s, so I gave up on it.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's probably not the case, but I wouldn't completely rule out problems with the disks (perhaps scratches, perhaps something more subtle).

Most of my oXbox game problems have to do with the disks themselves, it seems. Most of my games were more than seven years old, and wear and tear can creep up on you.

Synthesis on
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looks like clearing the cache did it! I think. I still have to go through and try out all the games, but so far a few have loaded that didn't before. THanks for the help guys!

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • RastavitoRastavito Registered User new member
    Great, I´m not the only one. I´m having the same deal with The lord of the rings the return of the king in my 360. any help?

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Xbox 360's backwards compatibility is the most compelling reason I want an Xbox; so many games I'm interested in for it aren't backwards compatible. =P

That said, you've checked to make sure yours are, right?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!