As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Buttoneering - Event Schedule and Official Button info added!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2013
    It would not surprise me if a google scan tool or something picked it up. This is a public forum and nothing keeps it from being indexed.

Maybe you could, in the future, have it behind a login on http://buttoneering.org

zerzhul on
  • TechGamingNewsTechGamingNews CEO Cape May, NJ.Registered User regular
    jonxp wrote: »
    Guys, please don't put our coupon code on RetailMeNot. It's poor form, and I don't want to have to start distributing it through secure channels.

And more importantly, we don't want put PureButtons in a place where they have to think about not giving them to us.

The best idea for having a coupon code is hiding the line of text with the spoiler tags it will make it harder to find.

Also anything related to PAX or PA gets picked up in google almost first depending on traffic and words searched. using a few words I found this post on page 2 of the search here

DALTON DOOLY | CEO | T&G News
    http://techandgamingnews.com
    --
    [x]Media Pass [x] Hotel [x] Rental

I am not an exhibitor I am press I am not trying to step on toes, I am attending some Community functions to meet new people and have a good time.
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    It would not surprise me if a google scan tool or something picked it up. This is a public forum and nothing keeps it from being indexed.

Maybe you could, in the future, have it behind a login on http://buttoneering.org

Yeah, I just didn't want to make getting an account a requirement to do the game, but maybe just a requirement to get the discount is OK?

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Woot, I played around with a white version of this, but it just clashed with the text too much. Got the order all in. Can't wait to bring these to East! :)
    Thanks-Obama.png

Oh nooo. I may have to whip something up just to grab that button. Hilarious.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • TechGamingNewsTechGamingNews CEO Cape May, NJ.Registered User regular
    Woot, I played around with a white version of this, but it just clashed with the text too much. Got the order all in. Can't wait to bring these to East! :)
    Thanks-Obama.png

It is now my mission to find you and trade ^_^

DALTON DOOLY | CEO | T&G News
    http://techandgamingnews.com
    --
    [x]Media Pass [x] Hotel [x] Rental

I am not an exhibitor I am press I am not trying to step on toes, I am attending some Community functions to meet new people and have a good time.
  • AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just didn't want to make getting an account a requirement to do the game, but maybe just a requirement to get the discount is OK?

I don't see why not. Organizations give out member/employee perks all the time. You can just say the 15% is a perk for joining Buttoneering! Really, most of the people doing Buttoneering are going to be registered on the site anyway, so I don't think this harms PureButtons or Buttoneering much anyway. Maybe there'll be dissenting opinions, but my vote is for locking it down. Unless PB is cool with anyone using it...

Knight_ wrote: »

Haha, I'm glad to see it's already getting laugh. That's my primary objective with my buttons. :D Finding me isn't hard. I'll be wearing a top hat covered in buttons, like this, but with this year's buttons:
    217089_465213916842967_348539706_n.jpg

fss_overall.png
  • ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    ok, question: what is a bonus button? i assumed it meant someone was giving out more than one button and the extra one was the "bonus" one, but i see some of the bonus ones on the site are the only one that that person is giving out, so....im confused. help?

7US7VWW.png
  • psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    I've always handled bonus buttons as this.

I have a button, you have a button, we trade buttons no strings attached.

I have a bonus button, and I set the rules for what you need to do to earn it. You can refuse if you want...but...button...

And that siren call of buttons makes for some pretty interesting scenes.

It could be as simple of answering a question and have all the answers posted to the forums.
    It could be a matching set to the regular button, and you have to wear both buttons on your shirt around where one's nipples would be.
    It could be holding a monocle to your face as the person takes your best MONOCLE SMILE picture.
    It could be singing the refrain or a verse from the Hero of Canton. (For the record, these are all challenges I've seen for bonus buttons.)

Bonus buttons are the seasoning to the medium-rare porterhouse steak that is buttoneering.

“Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
    that answer my question quite well.

also, highly entertaining.

bravo.

7US7VWW.png
    also, dont ask why i got all proper in that post. im tired :P

7US7VWW.png
  • KapolKapol Registered User regular
    Is the Purebuttons site price before or after shipping? And, if before, what's shipping normally for 50 or 100 pins?

• Chaotic KittenChaotic Kitten Cat Whisperer, Chaos incarnate Registered User regular
    Ahoy, This is my first time attending PAX as a Exhibitor, and I was thinking it would be cool to have buttons as swag, but they are so expensive, and I'm not sure how many of them to get, or if it's even worth it for a small indie studio. do any of you buttoneers have any advice?

I make videogames and hug cats.
  • AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    Kapol wrote: »
    Is the Purebuttons site price before or after shipping? And, if before, what's shipping normally for 50 or 100 pins?

Shipping on 100 1.5 inch buttons to my zip 98036 is $9.21. Not sure if this is "average" or not, but there it is. Price shown during design is before shipping. You'll see shipping cost for your zip at checkout.

fss_overall.png
  • KomiKomi Registered User regular

I don't see why not. Organizations give out member/employee perks all the time. You can just say the 15% is a perk for joining Buttoneering! Really, most of the people doing Buttoneering are going to be registered on the site anyway, so I don't think this harms PureButtons or Buttoneering much anyway. Maybe there'll be dissenting opinions, but my vote is for locking it down. Unless PB is cool with anyone using it...

Haha, I'm glad to see it's already getting laugh. That's my primary objective with my buttons. :D Finding me isn't hard. I'll be wearing a top hat covered in buttons, like this, but with this year's buttons:
    217089_465213916842967_348539706_n.jpg

OOOH. YOU'RE THAT GUY! I still remember being stopped on my way to the bathroom by you pretty clearly! Made me a lot more relaxed about things after that. I'm definitely going to be hunting you down for your button and stuff!

Now I just need to make a button.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Badge (HOLYCRAPIGOTA4DAY!)
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
    Komi wrote: »
    OOOH. YOU'RE THAT GUY! I still remember being stopped on my way to the bathroom by you pretty clearly! Made me a lot more relaxed about things after that. I'm definitely going to be hunting you down for your button and stuff!

Now I just need to make a button.

Oh yeah, I remember you, Komi! Your buttons were rad! I can't wait to meet up with you and see what you create at East! :D (I had no idea you were on your way to the bathroom. Sorry if I kept you too long, haha.)

fss_overall.png
  • KapolKapol Registered User regular

Shipping on 100 1.5 inch buttons to my zip 98036 is $9.21. Not sure if this is "average" or not, but there it is. Price shown during design is before shipping. You'll see shipping cost for your zip at checkout.

Ah, I got to that and found out it'll be $14 for me for shipping. Given that, I think I'm going to have to look into other sites. Anyone here ever use Justbuttons.org? Apparently they have free shipping, free proof, and 50 buttons would cost me $23. A little bit more initially, but no shipping, larger button (1.75 rather than 1.5, since 1.5 cost MORE for some reason...) makes it seem like the better option. But I'd prefer knowing if others have dealt with them first.

edited February 2013
    Ahoy, This is my first time attending PAX as a Exhibitor, and I was thinking it would be cool to have buttons as swag, but they are so expensive, and I'm not sure how many of them to get, or if it's even worth it for a small indie studio. do any of you buttoneers have any advice?

I personally dislike the idea of exhibitors or companies participating in buttoneering for their company. This has always been intended to be a community event, and having company buttons in there doesn't seem in the spirit of things. I mean if someone who *happens* to be an exhibitor participates with a *personal* button, I don't see any potential issues with that, but that's a different story.

Now to the question I think you were actually asking: Buttons make for pretty good swag, imo. I'm not sure I've ever heard buttons be described as expensive though, especially for a swag item. I can understand if you're strapped for cash as an indie studio, but I would think buttons would be cheaper than most other potential swag offerings.

zerzhul on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular

I'm also attending as an exhibitor this year (although I've been going to PAX since 07 as an attendee). I specifically have two buttons I'm giving out:
    - A swag button (that's not listed on the trading site) which I just have a pile of on the table. They are for everyone, and not special, but still cool looking. I ordered as many of these as I could afford, but I'm also going to GenCon and other conventions this year.
    - A button for buttoneering. The only way to get this is by trading a buttoneering button, and there is no demo requirement or anything.

• Chaotic KittenChaotic Kitten Cat Whisperer, Chaos incarnate Registered User regular

Zerzhul: I was thinking of having two sets if I was going to Buttoneer, which I might do, though I'm not sure it would go very well, since I'm going to be locked in the booth all day and there seem to be only a handful of buttoneers.

PeasantDave: Yeah, I've attended PAX before, just never as an exhibitor, and it's a little scary! I'm really looking forward to it, and can't wait to be there, with so many "people like me" trying out my game!

I make videogames and hug cats.
  • LordOwenLordOwen Young Joel Heyman Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm prepping my own button at last, and all this has been very helpful. Last Prime, I collected quite a few and felt bad I didn't have any of my own to give out, but I only found out I was going a couple of weeks beforehand and didn't have time! :(

• Rabid DogRabid Dog Registered User regular
    Wu_Button.jpg?1361241252

My buttons have been ordered! Can't wait to see them up close! =D

I added my design to the list too!

• ph1l0z0ph3rph1l0z0ph3r Registered User regular
    Sounds like fun might need to find someone with photoshop skills to help me make one.

• Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    Bonus pin:
    rRweO6F.png
    Requirement: President Skroob's salute

5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Oh, that reminds me. If you didn't know, I'm also offering image hosting for your buttons, so you can share the pictures with other people. After you upload your button, click the "edit" button on it (looks like a little pencil), and on the right side of the screen, you'll see the BBCode to embed it on the forums along with a link.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    if anyone wants it, I can design you a button in Circular Galliferyan like i did mine. just tell me what word or (short) phrase you want on the button and what colors, and i will post/email you the result.

here is mine for refrence: button_png.jpg

7US7VWW.png
    PREPARE TO DIE-letoads
    preparetodie_15square.jpg

Bonus Button:
    The Closest You'll Ever Get to Beating Battletoads
    battletoadsLogo_1inch.jpg

Earn the bonus button by answering a trivia question about Battletoads, or singing a specific Battletoads piece of music.

“Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    psychopez wrote: »
    PREPARE TO DIE-letoads
    preparetodie_15square.jpg

Bonus Button:
    The Closest You'll Ever Get to Beating Battletoads
    battletoadsLogo_1inch.jpg

Earn the bonus button by answering a trivia question about Battletoads, or singing a specific Battletoads piece of music.

What if we just burst into tears at the mere mention of the word battletoads.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    man, with so many buttons on the site im starting to think i should have ordered 100 instead of 50.

7US7VWW.png
    edited February 2013
    What if we just burst into tears at the mere mention of the word battletoads.
    Console yourself by thinking about a much easier game like Dark Souls? I conveniently mentioned Dark Souls in the button itself.

psychopez on

-Italo Calvino
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    What did we say the potential cutoff for ordering was? Four pages is way too long for me to look back through. ;)

I think I am going to work on and order a button or two on Saturday.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    edited February 2013
    It's complete... IT'S COMEPLETE, AH HA HAAAA! My button is finished and ordered, I got 150 of them because I'd rather have too many than too little.

PAXEAST2013BUTTON.png?1361514248

Highfives will be given to those who can point out all the references.

Komi on
    -PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Rabid DogRabid Dog Registered User regular
    Wow. I submitted the order on Monday and they have all ready been delivered. Was not expecting such a super-fast turnaround from them!

Rabid Dog wrote: »
    Wow. I submitted the order on Monday and they have all ready been delivered. Was not expecting such a super-fast turnaround from them!

This sort of thing is precisely why we use purebuttons :)

i was told in an email that my buttons started being created on monday of this week. they showed up at my door 5 mins ago. Purebuttons rocks!

7US7VWW.png
    redfield85 wrote: »
    What did we say the potential cutoff for ordering was? Four pages is way too long for me to look back through. ;)

I think I am going to work on and order a button or two on Saturday.

I'd say if you don't have them ordered before March 1st, you'll be pushing it a bit. 3 weeks should be plenty of time, but better safe than sorry.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
    here is my Buttoneering/Lookouts cosplay Sash. It was tricky getting all the buttons to fit. makes me wonder how many i will be coming home with.
    IMG_0236_zps14dddead.jpg

7US7VWW.png
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    As for exhibitors doing buttons. I think it's cool. Even if they're just giving them as swag. At least they're noticing what the community likes and trying to roll with it. :) I have a pile of Pokecrawl & exhibitor buttons lining the wall of my cubicle at work. I mean I would consider exhibitor buttons to not be official community buttons for trading, but hey...free buttons.

Ok. Time to think of what I want on my button(s)....

bYf6vNQ.png
    CRAP! do i have to order more buttons!?

7US7VWW.png
    Ok. Ok. Ok. I finally started playing with ideas and am liking where this is going.

Basically, I liked the idea of throwing a ton of different things that I like into one image, but that might be too crowded. Then I started thinking and am playing with a Pokeball and some Disney stuff.

I plan on ordering in the next day or two. I am sure I will have a question or two about the Photoshop file itself at some point if I don't browse the thread (which I am sure someone talked about it way earlier...about layers and whatnot).

Anyway, SOON!

I am thinking of ways to show off that I am a trader, but I don't want to wear all of my pins. I am thinking of something to throw a good amount on and then having most in a ziplock or something for easy giveaways. Maybe I will just get a nametag that says "Hi, my name is.... PA BUTTONEER." Haha.

(I typed PA COMMUNITY PIN TRADER out and then remembered about PA actually having pins this year.....and then I got more excited for PAX. EEEEEE!)

bYf6vNQ.png
This discussion has been closed.