As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hedge[chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    No but yeah, aluminium is one of the most abundant metals isn't it? I don't know this shit this is why I pay you guys to do my thinking for me.

Yeah, but it takes a lot of energy to refine it. It's why Norway is so big on aluminium industry despite not actually having any.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    No but yeah, aluminium is one of the most abundant metals isn't it? I don't know this shit this is why I pay you guys to do my thinking for me.

Well, there are two things: one is that "rare earth metals" is actually a specific well-defined term, but also yeah aluminum is super abundant. It used to be super valuable because, as you said, it's very impure, but once purifying techniques were made it was realized that it wasn't rare at all.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    I think the thing about the horse meat is that sometimes horses are not intended to get ate and are shot up with a bunch of medication and shit.

Most cattle are shot up with a bunch of medication. Mostly antibiotics.

Yeah. Stuff that's safe to eat.

Horses that were never intended to be eaten are shot up with a bunch of stuff that's not safe to eat.

The likely culprit is all the horses that are getting off the road in romania and some people who saw an opportunity.

Too bad the antibiotics are fucking us hard in the long run.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    There was some village next to a mine in Japan and many citizens got ill and died due to release of some toxic metal, the interesting thing was that it had 2+ charge and replaced the Ca2+ in the bone marrow.

So I thought now we know being wolverine doesn't work in real life because you will get sick and die because metal core bones don't work too well.

This story is backed by zero references but it sounded interesting so let's assume it accurately reflects real events.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    What do people do with canned salmon anyway. Can I make sandwiches with some mayo like tuna or will that taste weird.

This totally works. (Also a good thing to do with leftover salmon should you have such a thing.) Go a touch lighter on the mayo, I'd say; salmon's really fatty. Some dill or something is good in there, too.

• Options
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    or do I just eat it out of the can like an animal

You bite into the can like a man proper, and eat the aluminium. Then you give the meat to a less manly entity. Like a couch, or a dog. You're so manly you subsist on rare earth metals. Let the plebs eat the protein.

Aluminum is like, the opposite of a rare earth metal.

Pure aluminium. Not "Aluminium bonded with this other stuff."

There you made me go there.

Aluminum (aluminium if you're a dirty foreigner) still isn't a rare earth metal.

iron is also never found in pure form, and the earth is made of more iron than anything else.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Well, there are two things: one is that "rare earth metals" is actually a specific well-defined term, but also yeah aluminum is super abundant. It used to be super valuable because, as you said, it's very impure, but once purifying techniques were made it was realized that it wasn't rare at all.

I'd expect as much from a lower element. Waiting on them figuring out how to turn carbon into super material so we don't need metals anymore.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    We have had a lot of interesting artists™ lately.

1) "A" graded final project for a student at the local art school was that he filmed himself completely trashing a public subway train. Like tearing apart seating and spray canning the entire thing, breaking glass etc.
    2) Similar graduating project for a student from the same school: "Playing" mentally ill, trying to suicide off a bridge. Getting apprehended, kicking and BITING police and psych crew until blood came. Then later she was like "sorry dudes this was my art project, I am totally not a maniac actually".

Wait,that guy got an A for filming his vandalism?

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    There was some village next to a mine in Japan and many citizens got ill and died due to release of some toxic metal, the interesting thing was that it had 2+ charge and replaced the Ca2+ in the bone marrow.

So I thought now we know being wolverine doesn't work in real life because you will get sick and die because metal core bones don't work too well.

This story is backed by zero references but it sounded interesting so let's assume it accurately reflects real events.

They prolly would've been fine if they had healing factor.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I'll switch to salmon and whole grain pasta/brown rice.

THIS IS ALL I'M DOING FOR NOW TLDR

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Urgh. I still can't dig Daniel COraig as James Bond.

If you saw skyfall and still don't like him I don't know what to tell you. Your opinion is wrong.

i hated skyfall but craig is a magnificent bond

Does

not

compute
    I couldn't get over the ridiculous plot. Bond and M were bad at being spies and all the tech people were bad at tech. I couldn't figure out why Bond was being treated as a dinosaur 2 movies after he became a 00 agent. They introduced this groundskeeper I'd never heard of in practically the last ten minutes of the film, and two spies on the run didn't bring any guns with them. In fact, why did they run away to a secret place without coordinating with the agency? To be unpredictable so Silva couldn't find M, right? So why did they have the tech people lay a trail for Silva to find? Every moment of the plot after Silva was captured was preposterously contrived, and even if I loved the reveal of the Aston Martin, it didn't make up for everything else. I'm told if you're a real Bond buff there were lots of nods and homages, and maybe I just don't know the series well enough. I certainly know that I care about plot more than a lot of people. A friend also remarked that little things ruin movies for me... I'd rather have a B movie with everything done right than an amazing A movie with one massive flaw. Anyway, I was bored and annoyed for the full second half of the movie.

COME AT ME BRO :(

Ohhhh you are lucky I have to go home

i'll have to tag someone else in for this

• Options
    edited February 2013

1) "A" graded final project for a student at the local art school was that he filmed himself completely trashing a public subway train. Like tearing apart seating and spray canning the entire thing, breaking glass etc.
    2) Similar graduating project for a student from the same school: "Playing" mentally ill, trying to suicide off a bridge. Getting apprehended, kicking and BITING police and psych crew until blood came. Then later she was like "sorry dudes this was my art project, I am totally not a maniac actually".

I don't know that they have A-F but he got the top grade yeah, and yes the teachers there realized it was not something he had permission to do.

He of course had some retarded hipster explanation for what the art project was about, apparently they thought it was very good. You have to realize though that the teachers there are the same kind of people as these students.

Honk on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

You forgot that Wolvering has his super-healing mutant ability that allows him to recover from the adamantium bounding process. Regular humans without this ability wouldn't survive it. Which is why you don't see an army of adamantium-boned soldiers walking around.

My point is, you clearly need more experimentation with a better-selected sample group.

sig.gif
  • Options

That's exactly what he said, yes.

If the project was good I'd give him an A

then I'd call the police but he'd still get the A

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

I don't know that they have A-F but he got the top grade yeah, and yes the teachers there realized it was not something he had permission to do.

So your universities are just as dumb as ours.

I feel better.

• Options
    if I was a film professor and a student made a documentary about a bank robbery, by filming and comitting a bank robbery, that's automatically worth a lot of points for dedication alone. And, well, quite a few years in prison.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    "Fruity pebbles work transtemporally, you fool" is probably the greatest sentence I will ever write.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    *tags out @Casual *

*Throws a chair @Powerpuppies *

I don't even know what you guys are talking about.

• Options
    I want to say in the distant future, humanities love of gold will have us finding remote star systems and making them go Super-nova. Seems like a better way to do it than build giant holes and lace the smeg with arsenic.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i need to figure out what our first costco trip will entail

we're gonna get all these staples

but what are staples

aieeee

• Options

I feel better.

if they'd failed him because it was illegal then I'm pretty sure he could complain and win

doesn't say anywhere in the grading requirements that it has to be legal

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

I feel better.

It's an art school so I don't know, I guess weird people exist everywhere and are drawn to things that coincide with their interests.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Does America have 50/50 bread that's half white, half wholemeal?

• Options
    I want to say in the distant future, humanities love of gold will have us finding remote star systems and making them go Super-nova. Seems like a better way to do it than build giant holes and lace the smeg with arsenic.

so instead of poisoning tiny tiny bits of one planet you'd throw thousands of them into a sun

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    One Drop bread policy

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    How did he shoot that subway video? 'Cause getting your pal to hold your dslr while you go to town on the ad banners doesn't require any skill at all to do.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options

I feel better.

if they'd failed him because it was illegal then I'm pretty sure he could complain and win

doesn't say anywhere in the grading requirements that it has to be legal

This is most likely true, so I mean conceptually maybe his work was actually really good. It was publicly open but I never went there to look that year.

I think he reported himself though.

• Options
    we are totally going to make a star go supernova when we get the capability to do so.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

I feel better.

Yeah but Europe hates McDonald's, so the guy won't have anywhere to work once he graduates.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    As long as he made restitution for the crime, I support him getting whatever grade the profs felt he deserved.

• Options
    TehSloth wrote: »

They prolly would've been fine if they had healing factor.

I don't know much about inter cellular process, but it seems the problem isn't so much the metal bones, but rather, the fact that the body would be preferring this metal to calcium. Meaning it's going to infuse into cells and be metabolized as if it was calcium, and then all the resulting processes that rely on that ion are going to be fucked.

Kind of like how CO damages red blood cells because it bonds before CO2 or something.

Feel free to correct my hypothesis. Seems like if you limit it to solely the bones, the person would just get metal bones and be ultimately fine in the short run.

• Options

I feel better.

Yeah but Europe hates McDonald's, so the guy won't have anywhere to work once he graduates.

they have mcd's in sweden but he might find it hard to get a job there due to their hiring policies
    Swedish-McDonalds-620x459.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    How did he shoot that subway video? 'Cause getting your pal to hold your dslr while you go to town on the ad banners doesn't require any skill at all to do.

I think the 'skill' or graded component would have less to do with the technical proficiency in how he trashed the subway car and more to do with what exactly he was trying to express and how relevant that was to the coursework.

• Options

Probably dslr, he was the one vandalizing so someone else must have come with to record.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Does America have 50/50 bread that's half white, half wholemeal?

Not that I can think of. I mean, not kinds that are advertised as being a 50/50 blend. we do have Whitewheat though - http://www.naturesownbread.com/products/Whitewheat/WhiteWheatBread

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

I think the 'skill' or graded component would have less to do with the technical proficiency in how he trashed the subway car and more to do with what exactly he was trying to express and how relevant that was to the coursework.

Kind of a commentary on how masochistic our society is. Trash public works, pay fine/do the time, come out way ahead, likely.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    wazilla wrote: »

Kind of a commentary on how masochistic our society is. Trash public works, pay fine/do the time, come out way ahead, likely.

I'm curious how the math of him coming out ahead works.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    we are totally going to make a star go supernova when we get the capability to do so.
    Sipping her champagne Kirsty Fantori, the star demolition engineer, started programming the nebulon missile. It had to explode at just the right moment to trigger off the reaction in the star’s core which would push it into supernova stage. A star in supernova would light up the entire galaxy for over a month, giving off more energy than the Earth’s sun could in ten billion years. It would be a hell of a bang.

One undetected bug in Fantozi’s programming could ruin everything. Not only did she have to push the star into supernova, she had to time it so the light from the explosion would reach Earth at exactly the right moment. The right moment was the same moment as the light from the other one hundred and twenty-seven supergiants, which were also being induced into supernovae, reached Earth.

For anyone living on Earth the result would be mindfizzlingly spectacular. One hundred and twenty-eight stars would appear to go supernova simultaneously, burning with such ferocity they would be visible even in daylight.

And the hundred and twenty-eight supernovae would spell out a message.

And this would be the message:

‘COKE ADDS LIFE!’

For five whole weeks, wherever you were on Earth, the huge tattoo would be branded across the day and night skies. Honeymooners in Hawaii would stand on the peak of Mauna Kca, gazing at sunsets stamped with the slogan. Commuters in London, stuck in traffic jams, would peer through the grey drizzle and gape at the Cola constellation. The few primitive tribes still untouched by civilization in the jungles of South America would look up at the heavens, and certainly
    not think about drinking Pepsi.

The coat of this single, three-word ad in star writing across the universe would amount to the entire military budget of the USA for the whole of history.

So, ridiculous though it was, it was still a marginally more sensible way of blowing trillions of Dollarpounds.

And, the Coke executives were assured by the advertising executives at Saachi, Saachi, Saachi, Saachi, Saachi and Saachi, it would put an end to the Cola war forever. Guaranteed.

Pepsi would be buried.

OK, it wasn’t wonderful, ecologically speaking. OK, it involved the destruction of a hundred and twenty-eight stars, which otherwise would have lasted another twenty-five million years or so. OK, when the stars exploded they would gobble up three or four planets in each of their solar systems. And, OK, the resulting radiation would last long past the lifetime of our own planet.

But it sure as hell would sell a lot of cans of a certain fizzy drink.

• Options
    wazilla wrote: »

I'm curious how the math of him coming out ahead works.

I'm sure art school girl panties were dropping left and right.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I feel better.

they have mcd's in sweden but he might find it hard to get a job there due to their hiring policies
    Swedish-McDonalds-620x459.jpg

srsly, McSweden hires nothing but hot young girls for the registers?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
This discussion has been closed.