As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hedge[chat]

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'm just saying, if Cass buys forty five pounds of sushi I will fly to Canada to have dinner with her.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    That double post was art.

nibXTE7.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    you're going to spend quite a bit of money on various odds and ends for the kitchen that you didn't consider that you needed.

ftOqU21.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    The what is art conversation is neither fun nor productive

Something is art because it is presented as such. End of story.

People who disagree are substituting art for "interesting" or "good".

I present that bitcoins are art.

They fit all the qualifying criteria.

The long troll, getting people to buy your art and use it as money. That guy was a genius.

Bitcoins could be a commentary on what happens when the majority don't accept fiat money. Definitely conceptual, but yes, you doing so could be art.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    The what is art conversation is neither fun nor productive

Something is art because it is presented as such. End of story.

People who disagree are substituting art for "interesting" or "good".

I present that bitcoins are art.

They fit all the qualifying criteria.

The long troll, getting people to buy your art and use it as money. That guy was a genius.

Wait, so that guy who was going on and on about ketamine and silk road and being a loud prick all weekend at this music festival last year was just a really committed performance artist...

Interesting

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If a person rapes or murders another, then uses the blood to pain on canvas. Is that art?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I know that mcdonalds in germany give you mayonnaise with your fries and it was an epiphany.

So good.

PSN: Honkalot
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh also forgot
    EGGS
    CEREAL (SUGARY SHIT IF YOU'RE A WHORE)
    FLAKY CANNED BISCUITS
    AND A WHATCHAMACALLIT CANDY BAR

Bless your heart.
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I know that mcdonalds in germany give you mayonnaise with your fries and it was an epiphany.

So good.

What

what is this

what is mcdonalds

Shivahn wrote: »
    I'm just saying, if Cass buys forty five pounds of sushi I will fly to Canada to have dinner with her.

godamnit I forgot to get the half-price salmon. I wanted to make sushi!

ftOqU21.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    If a person rapes or murders another, then uses the blood to pain on canvas. Is that art?

I don't know

is Batman and Robin art?

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Yes.

It's still illegal, though.

Being art doesn't make a thing okay, acceptable in polite society or legal...

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

It could be!

More concrete, however, is that it's punishable by a lengthy prison sentence.

Sarksus wrote: »

So good.

What

what is this

what is mcdonalds

Sorry I meant mcdolan.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

I don't know

is Batman and Robin art?
    *drops chalk*

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Mayonaise only belongs on cold sandwiches and coleslaw.
    Anything else is hedonistic blasphemy.
    Edit: And Monte Cristo sandwiches.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
    sushi question: does the sushi rice really need rice wine vinegar like my packet says?

ftOqU21.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Im just going to be super controversial here and say that injuring people during your fake suicide attempt isn't art.

Trashing a public place isn't either.

Throwing temper tantrums isn't art.

Yeah, this is a stupid opinion.

But I'm going to bet a lot of money that what these muppets did probably wasn't very good art.

Of course you think its stupid.

Still angry that I said burying dead prostitutes in your backyard isn't a form of installation art.

It's exactly as dumb as saying videogames aren't art!

it can be good art or bad art but it can be art.

and come on, the smiley face they made all together? Priceless.

Its not the same at all.

The subway station might be debateable. Maybe.

The girl biting people, not.

It is precisely the same thing. You are categorically refusing that anything involving X can be art.

They are not the same at all.

You are being a total goose.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    sushi question: does the sushi rice really need rice wine vinegar like my packet says?

Yes.

It does.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2013
    Being open to everything being art is not a sign of a lack of intellectual rigor. The contrary is based on a personal rubric of qualifiers, nothing more nothing less.

Vanguard on
    This conversation makes me want to watch anime.

You guys are worse than anime.

TTODewback wrote: »
    Mayonaise only belongs on cold sandwiches and coleslaw.
    Anything else is hedonistic blasphemy.

No seriously mayonnaise with french fries is high art

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    damn it guys it's not september

out, out, Is It Art

aRkpc.gif
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    A lot of stuff that people think is art isn't art. I don't give a fuck if you think it might be art, it's still not art.

Shitting into jars? Not art.

I really don't give a fuck what you think it is. And anyone who finds such things art, is mentally damaged. No amount of opposing position will change me, but, just let that sink in there, there are people that think such that take the opposite stance of what I am as mentally damaged individuals.

You're broken Holmes, sit there and soak that in.

The conclusion that "everything can be art" is a very popular one to have, because it doesn't require you to think about art or examine it or care at all, but it will still please 99% of liberal and/or artsy types.

I dunno. It doesn't make one think as much about the grand question of what art is, which is always a boring and fruitless discussion. It allows one to spend time thinking about how some particular presentation is art to them, which is probably more productive than saying "THIS ISN'T ART" and refusing to think about it.

Psn:wazukki
    Im just going to be super controversial here and say that injuring people during your fake suicide attempt isn't art.

Trashing a public place isn't either.

Throwing temper tantrums isn't art.

Yeah, this is a stupid opinion.

But I'm going to bet a lot of money that what these muppets did probably wasn't very good art.

Of course you think its stupid.

Still angry that I said burying dead prostitutes in your backyard isn't a form of installation art.

It's exactly as dumb as saying videogames aren't art!

it can be good art or bad art but it can be art.

and come on, the smiley face they made all together? Priceless.

Its not the same at all.

The subway station might be debateable. Maybe.

The girl biting people, not.

It is precisely the same thing. You are categorically refusing that anything involving X can be art.

They are not the same at all.

You are being a total goose.

A thought provoking argument indeed.

ftOqU21.png
    This conversation makes me want to watch anime.

You guys are worse than anime.

May i suggest Wonderful Nurse Uguu-chan, it's totally kawaii moe and/or gomenasai.

Next thing you know, people will be saying games are art.
    :lol:

Bless your heart.
    I tend to think of art as any creative expression of truth. And it can be interesting and worthwhile to debate the merits of a piece of art; whether its message is accurate or praiseworthy or offensive, whether its execution was technically proficient, whether the end product is something you'd like to pay to have.

Arguing whether it 'counts' as being art is neither interesting nor worthwhile.

It doesn't matter what art is. If someone wants something to be art, let them, it's not a big deal. Don't get in a huff about this shit!

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    I'm fine with letting freaky performance art be called art, but when it comes to the dangerous, inconsiderate, or basically anything done in public

you can stage that shit

if you think you might end up biting an EMT during your performance, hire an actor to be that EMT

you can stage the whole bloody thing and make it as real as your time, planning, and wallet allow, and it will be just as good.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I'm open to people getting drug out into the street and being shot for claiming that there is no difference between a game as art and a violent offense against another person as art as art.

Is there an article on this performance art thing you guys are discussing?

• Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Also, Cass, don't forget to buy maple soda and a plastic cell-phone filled with candy. And Astronaut food. it's what astronauts eat!

MAPLE SODA?!

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    I think the thing about the horse meat is that sometimes horses are not intended to get ate and are shot up with a bunch of medication and shit.

Most cattle are shot up with a bunch of medication. Mostly antibiotics.

Yeah. Stuff that's safe to eat.

Horses that were never intended to be eaten are shot up with a bunch of stuff that's not safe to eat.

The likely culprit is all the horses that are getting off the road in romania and some people who saw an opportunity.

I'm not sure the stuff is as really safe to eat as you imply.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It doesn't matter what art is. If someone wants something to be art, let them, it's not a big deal. Don't get in a huff about this shit!

So many ways I could go with this.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I'm open to people getting drug out into the street and being shot for claiming that there is no difference between a game as art and a violent offense against another person as art as art.

would that be...

nah fuck it.

ftOqU21.png
    Also, Cass, don't forget to buy maple soda and a plastic cell-phone filled with candy. And Astronaut food. it's what astronauts eat!

MAPLE SODA?!

The giant plastic bear of animal cracker is also needed.
    After the first one you can just buy the bags to refill it.
    Animal Crackers Are Civilization.

Bless your heart.
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Is there an article on this performance art thing you guys are discussing?

Yes

The article

is life

Psn:wazukki
    Bowen if you go anywhere with that I will make a verbal mess all over you and then take another break!

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    The implication that I won't be able to set up a kitchen to its fullest capabilities is vaguely offensive to me

This discussion has been closed.