As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hedge[chat]

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The reason saying something is or isn't art is pointless is because it does nothing. So it's art? Who fucking cares? It's not? Good.

Neither does much for the conversation. If you wrote a paper about something generally considered art and all you did was talk about how artful it was, you would fail for making a hollow, vapid argument.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    i really want to do some day drinking, but I have no friends...

??

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    I'm fine with letting freaky performance art be called art, but when it comes to the dangerous, inconsiderate, or basically anything done in public

you can stage that shit

if you think you might end up biting an EMT during your performance, hire an actor to be that EMT

you can stage the whole bloody thing and make it as real as your time, planning, and wallet allow, and it will be just as good.

yeah, you could

and should

or I dunno, an art student could probably write an essay about why the message is different blah blah blah but they're weirdos

but calling something art isn't an endorsement.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Is there an article on this performance art thing you guys are discussing?

Google "Anna Odell". I will bet 99% of the articles are in swedish but use translate.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Fuck art what did it ever do for me anyway?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    The implication that I won't be able to set up a kitchen to its fullest capabilities is vaguely offensive to me
    NARWHALE WITHOUT AN E, Your job is to grate cheese
    NOTHING MORE
    NOTHING LESS

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Im just going to be super controversial here and say that injuring people during your fake suicide attempt isn't art.

Trashing a public place isn't either.

Throwing temper tantrums isn't art.

Yeah, this is a stupid opinion.

But I'm going to bet a lot of money that what these muppets did probably wasn't very good art.

Of course you think its stupid.

Still angry that I said burying dead prostitutes in your backyard isn't a form of installation art.

It's exactly as dumb as saying videogames aren't art!

it can be good art or bad art but it can be art.

and come on, the smiley face they made all together? Priceless.

Its not the same at all.

The subway station might be debateable. Maybe.

The girl biting people, not.

It is precisely the same thing. You are categorically refusing that anything involving X can be art.

They are not the same at all.

You are being a total goose.

A thought provoking argument indeed.

You haven't made any arguments either, just stated a popular chat opinion as fact and waved your hands a bit.

You haven't even attempted to explain how hurting somone is "the same" as a video game.

Perhaps you need to put some effort in if you want any back.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm fine with letting freaky performance art be called art, but when it comes to the dangerous, inconsiderate, or basically anything done in public

you can stage that shit

if you think you might end up biting an EMT during your performance, hire an actor to be that EMT

you can stage the whole bloody thing and make it as real as your time, planning, and wallet allow, and it will be just as good.

There is a long tradition of performance art that people could not distinguish from reality. See:

-The Diggers
    -The Yippies
    -The Dadaists
    -Andy Kaufman

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    The implication that I won't be able to set up a kitchen to its fullest capabilities is vaguely offensive to me
    NARWHALE WITHOUT AN E
    um

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

you can stage that shit

yeah, you could

and should

or I dunno, an art student could probably write an essay about why the message is different blah blah blah but they're weirdos

but calling something art isn't an endorsement.

You could and should, but what is transmitted would be different

I've actually written papers about this and it's a fairly important distinction between what is real and what is not

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    But seriously faking a suicide attempt and then attacking emergency personnel is not and will never be art and that woman is a bitch.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Kagera wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    I think the thing about the horse meat is that sometimes horses are not intended to get ate and are shot up with a bunch of medication and shit.

Most cattle are shot up with a bunch of medication. Mostly antibiotics.

Yeah. Stuff that's safe to eat.

Horses that were never intended to be eaten are shot up with a bunch of stuff that's not safe to eat.

The likely culprit is all the horses that are getting off the road in romania and some people who saw an opportunity.

I'm not sure the stuff is as really safe to eat as you imply.

yeah okay maybe where you live beef is fifty percent plastic. Here though, it is safe to eat and you'll smell the patchouli long before you see the people who would claim otherwise.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    NOTHING MORE
    NOTHING LESS

I will bring an artistry to the craft you would never before have thought possible.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    NARWHALE WITHOUT AN E
    um

Shut up, Elendil without a Z

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    NOTHING MORE
    NOTHING LESS

I will bring an artistry to the Kraft you would never before have thought possible.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Guys, I need an answer here

Are blue Solo cups real Solo cups, or is red the only authentic kind?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Geth, status report.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Nothing to report.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

Toby Keith addresses this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKZqGJONH68

• Options

Red only.
    It's a felony to purchase anything else in this state.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    But seriously faking a suicide attempt and then attacking emergency personnel is not and will never be art and that woman is a bitch.

It can be art and she's still a bitch. Andy Kaufman was brilliant, but he was still an asshole.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    I tend to think of art as any creative expression of truth. And it can be interesting and worthwhile to debate the merits of a piece of art; whether its message is accurate or praiseworthy or offensive, whether its execution was technically proficient, whether the end product is something you'd like to pay to have.

Arguing whether it 'counts' as being art is neither interesting nor worthwhile.

Yeah I mean I pretty much agree with you here (maybe not so much the expression of truth per se, but expression itself) except art that involves unwilling participants is extraordinarily terrible and I think the people doing this shit need to be heavily penalized for it

A school giving them a good grade for it strikes me as irresponsible, and while you can argue that it is art, it really shouldn't be encouraged

• Options
    Im just going to be super controversial here and say that injuring people during your fake suicide attempt isn't art.

But I'm going to bet a lot of money that what these muppets did probably wasn't very good art.

Still angry that I said burying dead prostitutes in your backyard isn't a form of installation art.

Its not the same at all.

It is precisely the same thing. You are categorically refusing that anything involving X can be art.

You haven't made any arguments either, just stated a popular chat opinion as fact and waved your hands a bit.

You haven't even attempted to explain how hurting somone is "the same" as a video game.

There is no objective way to determine what is art and what is not art. It is subjective because much that is art is so wildly different that it becomes useless to categorize. If a group of people consider something to be art they are not wrong. Or it is at least not constructive to claim they are wrong, even though what they consider art is completely without value to you.

Being okay with some idiots considering a staged psychosis is art doesn't mean you approve.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Geth, recycle this thread on page 103

Just to check who has OCD.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Echo. Thread will be recycled after 103 pages.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Chris brown beating Rihanna, art!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

What delinquency is that, good sir?

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

I am rock hard right now.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Bowen if you go anywhere with that I will make a verbal mess all over you and then take another break!

MMmmmm. Yum.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Geth, go on take a chance, kill 'em all!

• Options
    I am so hungry : (

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Chris brown beating Rihanna, art!
    not even chris brown's worst

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Geth, are you art?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Something about art students getting good grades for hurting people and trashing public spaces reminds of that old Onion article: ACLU sues to defend the right of the the KKK to burn down ACLU headquarters.

• Options
    Amy Sedaris used to show up to modeling shoots with her makeup done to look like she was the victim of domestic abuse.

That's definitely performance art

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    like,

rice, potatoes, beans, chicken breasts, ground beef?!

what cooking utensils and such will you expect to have

are you sure the fridge (1) exists (2) works (3) isn't in a horrible condition from the previous tenant, to begin with

we are getting a brand new fridge

we have prep equipment

we are buying necessary gear

you're still staying in a city

budget a little more for acquiring initial groceries nearby IMO

How do you mean?

• Options
    Does it matter if Geth is art? He will still destroy you.

• Options

Its not the same at all.

I haven't said at that hurting someone is the same as a video game.

What I was talking about was that claiming video games can't be art, just because it's a video game, and breaking the law and hurting someone can't be art, just because it's breaking the law, is the same kind of claim.

Do you think I'm saying that yeah sure, be that twat who pretends to be violently insane or be that twat who destroys public property, it's okay because it's art? I'm not.

I highly doubt their message was worth that. Since, well, one, art students, two, when are artists like that ever good. I have a very low opinion of performance art.

And really I fail to see what message they could have had that would be worth it.

But!

I define art as anything stated to be art. It can be bad art, it can be good art, it can be really bad art, but it's still art.

There's really no further arguments to be made behind that definition, since well, it's a definition, but that's mine.

How do you define art?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Fuck art what did it ever do for me anyway?
    Art is just one letter away from fart

• Options
    like,

rice, potatoes, beans, chicken breasts, ground beef?!

what cooking utensils and such will you expect to have

are you sure the fridge (1) exists (2) works (3) isn't in a horrible condition from the previous tenant, to begin with

we are getting a brand new fridge

we have prep equipment

we are buying necessary gear

you're still staying in a city

budget a little more for acquiring initial groceries nearby IMO

How do you mean?

Food is more expensive in urban areas.

This discussion has been closed.