As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hedge[chat]

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Wash wrote: »
    So I've been telling my mom this mlm she's been into is a pyramid scheme for years now

recently the FTC has gone after it

again

she still won't believe it's a pyramid scheme.

The FTC going after it just proves its legitimacy

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Amy Sedaris used to show up to modeling shoots with her makeup done to look like she was the victim of domestic abuse.

That's definitely performance art

And if she had just lit a hobo on fire instead, still art.

If she presented it as such, yes.

You can present any terrible situation you want, but as long as it was presented as art it is art.

And doing this doesn't substantiate your claims in the least.

This feels like excusing generally psychopathic behavior and lending it a veneer of credibility.

Well, it certainly could just be someone having a psychotic break. But it's a rather pointless line of inquiry since she didn't actually do this.

There is a long history of artists being severely mentally ill, too. See: Van Gogh, more relevantly, Antonin Artaud (look up the theatre if cruelty)

The point is, Jeep is not having an honest conversation. He has been pressed to define art. He has opted instead to use personal attacks and (failed attempts) at negation instead.

I'm not commenting on mental state, I'm commenting on behavior.

Look, basically let's go with "attacking a bunch of EMTs". If someone wants to claim it's performance art, good for them - I think they should be jailed for intentionally wasting emergency resources. Basically, if you do it knowingly, we should fuck you harder with the legal system because you had the presence of mind to decide to do it.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    choco agrees with me that it was a good joke fyi

919UOwT.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    If anything can be labeled art the word kinda has no meaning.

IMO.

Question: in your world, what qualities does labeling something art give it?

In mine, nothing. It just lets me know to flick a switch in my brain that turns on certain critical faculties.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So is there any website where you put in a book name and it points you to similar works like they have with music and movies?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Geth, define art.

Lh96QHG.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

IMO.

Yeah. I agree.

ftOqU21.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    FYI my opinions about fake suicide girl and art etc are real even if they don't meet chat hivemind standards.

As for the personal attack, it was a joke.

I put up with way more personal attacks all the time in this thread. You fuckers need to step back and look in the mirror you are not always nice people and your own jokes get rough as hell.

Now I have to go hablo espanol be good to one another.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Forcing people to be harmed without consent for your art is more widely and better defined as a crime in most cultures.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    Amy Sedaris used to show up to modeling shoots with her makeup done to look like she was the victim of domestic abuse.

You can present any terrible situation you want, but as long as it was presented as art it is art.

This feels like excusing generally psychopathic behavior and lending it a veneer of credibility.

Well, it certainly could just be someone having a psychotic break. But it's a rather pointless line of inquiry since she didn't actually do this.

There is a long history of artists being severely mentally ill, too. See: Van Gogh, more relevantly, Antonin Artaud (look up the theatre if cruelty)

The point is, Jeep is not having an honest conversation. He has been pressed to define art. He has opted instead to use personal attacks and (failed attempts) at negation instead.

Look, basically let's go with "attacking a bunch of EMTs". If someone wants to claim it's performance art, good for them - I think they should be jailed for intentionally wasting emergency resources. Basically, if you do it knowingly, we should fuck you harder with the legal system because you had the presence of mind to decide to do it.

Sure. I'm not arguing that this person should be safe from prosecution because art.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    So is there any website where you put in a book name and it points you to similar works like they have with music and movies?

Sometimes Wiki does this.

Lh96QHG.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    a rock ==> Not art
    A rock some douchebag hit with a thing ==> Art?

Art Fart, in my book, there's no such thing as art, just varying degrees of timewasting.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

IMO.

Just because anything can be labeled as art doesn't mean everything is art.

• Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Naaa

But to put it in context, this brother of mine most definitely needs help

But my sister's skills are

Britta level.

Well she's only been at it for a couple years, right?

"Her skills are Britta level" is one of the most damnable insults you could give someone. Use that expression carefully.

From everything you've told me, your brother sounds like a child with Oppositional Defiant Disorder, especially when you tell him to hold on a cake and he just won't do it for some inexplicable reason. Does your sister have any ideas of what it might be?

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    I embraced my inner monkey over breakfast.

Just demolished a bunch of oranges with my bare hands.

Lh96QHG.png
    Geth, define art.

geth doesnt have that functionality hth

919UOwT.png
    Forcing people to be harmed without consent for your art is more widely and better defined as a crime in most cultures.

Not mutually exclusive. Something can be criminal and art. See: graffiti

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

IMO.

In mine, nothing. It just lets me know to flick a switch in my brain that turns on certain critical faculties.

Campbell's soup labels are art.
    Progressive soup labels are not.

This is my sole judgement on art.
    Is your art comparable to a Campbells label or a Progressive label?

Bless your heart.
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Geth, define art.

geth doesnt have that functionality hth

It will soon enough...

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    FYI my opinions about fake suicide girl and art etc are real even if they don't meet chat hivemind standards.

I put up with way more personal attacks all the time in this thread. You fuckers need to step back and look in the mirror you are not always nice people and your own jokes get rough as hell.

I want to kiss you on the goddamn mouth.

My cat is a Britta-level cat.

• Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    So I've been telling my mom this mlm she's been into is a pyramid scheme for years now

recently the FTC has gone after it

again

she still won't believe it's a pyramid scheme.

Aw dang, dude

:(

Art would be pretty damn near 'linear event' in descriptive terms I'd use to describe it.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Are Cool Ranch Doritos art

People give you shit because you're fucking mad all the time and you argue with people over dumb shit.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It's not mutually exclusive.

If we go by the record we factually know this.

Because her episode was accepted as art by the institution, she got some form of passing grade for it. She was also fined for a crime.

PSN: Honkalot
    AND THUS CONCLUDES MY PERFORMANCE ART OF USING OBNOXIOUS ACRONYMS AT THE END OF EVERY POST

I WILL WAIT FOR YOUR APPLAUSE

TYVM

919UOwT.png
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

IMO.

Someone still has to choose to draw your attention to it.

I guess sometimes I feel like the opposing argument boils down to "Listen, there are only so many things I can critically think about, and if you run around calling a bunch of dumb, seemingly irrelevant, shit 'art' I'm not going to take you seriously" which is fine! But if it encourages people to think more closely about things which seem mundane and examine assumptions etc. etc. then what's the harm? I certainly don't mind, every now and again, taking off on a flight of fancy and examining contentious pieces of 'art'

edit: nobody is taking away your right to roll your eyes and be dismissive, either.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
    I don't know what hth is Gooby

wandering wrote: »

no but they are God

919UOwT.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure they will be.

I mean, one thing is prank calling 911

but this... is quite a step above that.

so yeah not is it just done... you know, the legalese for knowingly, but it's also... uh, the english legalese for "worse".

ftOqU21.png
    TTODewback wrote: »

IMO.

Campbell's soup labels are art.
    Progressive soup labels are not.

This is my sole judgement on art.
    Is your art comparable to a Campbells label or a Progressive label?

I use a lot of found text in my work. The first poem I ever published consisted of exactly 0 "original" lines.

In this sense, Pop Art has influenced my work, I guess.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

Hate That Hand.

Not mutually exclusive. Something can be criminal and art. See: graffiti

Usually graffiti doesn't involve unwilling people being harmed!

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

They are once you slather them in seasoned ground "beef" and shredded cheese.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth

hope this helps

919UOwT.png

no but they are God

If God is everything, he must be art.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It was a retarded thing don't get me wrong, but I cannot provide evidence to this group of people that it was not art. Because there is no objective way to define art.

PSN: Honkalot
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    deet doot

what to do today

hope this helps

That is smug as hell!

This discussion has been closed.