As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Playstation Plus! Sony loves you, honest

13»

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Playstation Plus is a good thing

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Wait did vanquish go up on ps+

I need to play that so bad

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I wouldn't mind, in principle to subscribe to this PSN thingie. It sounds good for me.

The problem is is the ps3's danky controller.

Blake T on
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    the first iteration of the ps3 was shit, but i feel like they got it right with the dualshock 3.

the added heft keeps it from feeling like a piece of shit toy.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind, in principle to subscribe to this PSN thingie. It sounds good for me.

You could get a 360esque controller, like this one over here, and voila! Problem solved!

@Vann Diras it goes up tomorrow.

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    we've been playing p4a on ps3 and man is the dpad is just murder on your thumbs

i hope they fix that with the next iteration

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Larlar wrote: »
    Yeah but you don't actually get to keep any of those games when your subscription runs out

I can literally wait a year and get all of the games on that list that I care about for $50 once the prices go down, and I will own them forever

Yeah, I'm with you on this and cloud ownership/game leasing in general. Steam is as far as I'm willing to go.

valve has at least said (I think), that if they ever closed they would make the games available to download for their customers. You're at least not leasing the game with steam, you really do own the game, it just lives elsewhere

Unless the agreement has been changed since I last read about it, I'm almost certain we own nothing we pay for on Steam. But I could be wrong. And I'm on my phone so I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

When you buy the game you're really just buying the unique CD key for that game, that is why steam can "sell out" of games during big sales if the demand for it is higher than expected and steam does not have enough CD Keys to sell

Valve has said in the past that if they get shut down they will be able to make it so your games work without steam

What exactly that entails I couldn't say specifically but I trust valve has thought of this already

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    Squall wrote: »

Yeah the d-pad really kinda sucks. I don't know if it's just that I so rarely use them anymore, but... I grabbed FF7 and FF9 off the PSN last week because they were $5 each and why the fuck not

So I load up FF7, intro plays, Cloud jumps off the train, I push the analog stick and... nothing. Fuck. FF7 was pre-dual-shock, so you gotta use the d-pad to move (and hold down a button to run!), which I don't remember being as difficult as it is now back when I played it on my PS1 and PS2.

Again, it could just be that I've not used the d-pad for anything other than item selection hotkeys in a good long while, but it kinda stinks, I can't imagine playing a fighting game with it.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Squall wrote: »

Yeah the d-pad really kinda sucks. I don't know if it's just that I so rarely use them anymore, but... I grabbed FF7 and FF9 off the PSN last week because they were $5 each and why the fuck not

So I load up FF7, intro plays, Cloud jumps off the train, I push the analog stick and... nothing. Fuck. FF7 was pre-dual-shock, so you gotta use the d-pad to move (and hold down a button to run!), which I don't remember being as difficult as it is now back when I played it on my PS1 and PS2.

Again, it could just be that I've not used the d-pad for anything other than item selection hotkeys in a good long while, but it kinda stinks, I can't imagine playing a fighting game with it.
    i thought it had an option for button mapping or something like that?

• Options
    Good month for Plus subscribers:

"Entering PS Plus in March (in no particular order)

Spec Ops: The Line (PS3)
    Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (PS Vita)
    Joe Danger 2: The Movie (PS3)
    Tekken 6 (PSP; Supported on PS Vita)
    The Cave (PS3)"

Should I play Spec Ops: The Line?

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    It's not particularly long or difficult, so I'd say it's worth a playthrough to check out the interesting stuff they tried with the story. Especially if Sony's just handing it to you.

• Options
    SLEEPING DOGS IS FREE THIS WEEK

SLEEPING DOGS IS FREE THIS WEEK

They throw in a couple of the add-on packs because it's the "digital edition" or whatever. Everyone go play Sleeping Dogs right now.

• Options
    June is a good month. Deus Ex, Saints Row the Third, and Machinarium are all going to be free in the next few weeks.

• Options
    Sony's upping the ante this week, adding UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and LittleBigPlanet: Karting to the free games list. For a bunch of free stuff this is not half bad.

8975999184_8566aca932_z.jpg

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh man, that's a good list. I've been wanting to get Uncharted 3 and now I don't have to!

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    instant games you keep, right?

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    instant games you keep, right?

You keep them as long as you have a subscription. You can buy them to hold them beyond that.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    This new list makes me more curious than ever about what they're going to do with Plus on the PS4. I don't see how they can keep pushing this kind of content on a new platform because there won't be old stuff to give away but people (like me) are pretty used to the free games a hook to keep their subscription.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    This new list makes me more curious than ever about what they're going to do with Plus on the PS4. I don't see how they can keep pushing this kind of content on a new platform because there won't be old stuff to give away but people (like me) are pretty used to the free games a hook to keep their subscription.

Well, I could see a couple of things happening.
    PS+ could include a streaming service that enables backwards compatibility, I think we heard Sony talking about that at some point, right?
    If so, they will probably be rolling out games on that service anyhow, you might as well put them into the ps+ instant collection.

It could be strictly married to the ps3 and vita, with the addition of new games stopping, once there is a sizable playerbase on the ps4.
    PS+ would be strictly service oriented on the ps4, in that scenario.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    What I would love, more than words can express, is if they were like "PS+ subscribers get streaming access to the entire* PS2 library!" I know they still want to try to sell people that stuff but they could charge $100 a year and people would pay it. I would.

*Ok as much as they can manage, which I realize is probably like 50% of the actual games.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

You could get a 360esque controller, like this one over here, and voila! Problem solved!

Does anyone actually have this controller and can vouch for it because holy shit do I hate the dualshock

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Not as a great a month for Plus but I'm excited for free Battlefield 3. I'd never have bought it but I'll sure play it.

9163495272_c8f3ccb0aa_z.jpg

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Free Battlefield 3 is pretty sweet. We should get some games together.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I'd be down.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    I will be the worst player, I haven't played any Battlefield ever and am supremely terrible at modern military shooters.

I'm driving the helicopter.

• Options
    So... when you download a game on PSN, you essentially need about double the space on your HD, right? Cuz you're just downloading the installer, and then it has to install the game before you can delete the installer?

Because UC3 is goddamn 40GB, and there is no way in hell I'm gonna be able to clear out 80GB of space on my HD.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I think you can download the single player and multi separately to make the downloads smaller.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I thought that WAS just the single player.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Hey if anyone gets Battlefield 3 hit me up

I play it a lot on PS3 and have never been able to play with friends

My PSN is hashpipe_canada

#pipe on
  • Options
    Most PS3 games I've downloaded have been 8-9 gigs, what the hell is Uncharted doing that it's 40? Plus a blu ray only fits 33ish gigs, was UC3 more than one disc? Gat dang.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    3 months of playstation plus as well as a 20 dollar psn store card for 28 at best buy right now.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Most PS3 games I've downloaded have been 8-9 gigs, what the hell is Uncharted doing that it's 40? Plus a blu ray only fits 33ish gigs, was UC3 more than one disc? Gat dang.

There's a lot of sand.

• Options
    wishanemwishanem Registered User new member
    A while back I made
    this spreadsheet. It lists all of the games that have ever been in the North American version of Playstation Plus, and has some analysis of them. The second tab summarizes some of the info, including that there have been 191 games with a total retail value of about $2,367.92. I was looking at the spreadsheet earlier today, and I thought to myself, "There are probably 20 other people who ever look at this damn thing. I should post it more places on the internet."

So I did.

• Options
    FREE HITMAN TOMORROW

FREE HITMAN TOMORROW

FREE HITMAN TOMORROW

9431730410_5af207cc84_z.jpg

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    But then you would have to play hitman absolution

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Hitman was decent.

There were a handful of really great levels and a bunch of lame ones.

It's totally worth it for free.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Not really interested in Hitman, not even for free

Everyone gets Runner 2 this month though, and that's a treat

• Options
    Nobody has to play anything

but for free

I will play most things