As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX Pokemon League: East 2013! LEGENDS!

• MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    You might want to head over and check out the latest leader announcement: Drake and Lily, the Poke-Couple.

Oh, and avoid the East Wing if you can. The floors are still a bit slick. I know Surf is a popular move but some days I don't know why I bother to put the mop away.

Morganstern on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    You might want to head over and check out the latest leader announcement: Drake and Lily, the Poke-Couple.

Aw who's that lovely lady? Oh ya, it's me! :D

HI3789R.png
  • BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    I've heard of this Pax Pokemon League in songs and magazines. I'm excited to hear it's back

• Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Let's see who the latest Gym Leader is... WHAT? HER?

Her badge sort of looks like Doctor Whooves' cutie mark with a bowtie on it. Cute.

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Fetch26291 wrote: »
    Let's see who the latest Gym Leader is... WHAT? HER?

Her badge sort of looks like Doctor Whooves' cutie mark with a bowtie on it. Cute.

Isn't it just? Don't let down your guard, though, or she'll charm her way to victory. :B
    Newest Gym Leader announced is a Wooper fanatic named Melanie. Wait... isn't Melanie also the name of Shuckle Girl?

Shuckle Girl a.k.a Rainbowtunnel a.k.a Rachel! I assume she'll be at PAX again, since she's still in Boston.... I don't know! I'll have to find out.
    punzie wrote: »

Aw who's that lovely lady? Oh ya, it's me! :D

IT IS! :D Our very own Punzie will be a leader this year! SO EXCITED

Oh, and avoid the East Wing if you can. The floors are still a bit slick. I know Surf is a popular move but some days I don't know why I bother to put the mop away.

Oh Rufus, you are the best. <3 What would we do without you? Besides die of yellow fever from all the standing water?

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yellow fever? I'm more worried about the tentacool that'd somehow end up everywhere. I promise no surfing in the hall though, though I have one Pokémon that will be pretty pumped with it's STAB attacks and I'm not sure that's any better...

The latest leader also is a reminder that I really need to finish up the last Pokémon ranger game I picked up, unless they plan on doing a Deoxys promo in NA as well, its my only reasonable way to get one.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    Coan wrote: »
    Rules page: basic rules, 9.
    the rules for the type of match will set all pokemon to 50, if you're below 50, they'll level up to that for the match, if you're above, it'll level down.

Yes those pokemon are allowed as per the rules: http://paxpokemonleague.net/rules/
    Keldeo is not allowed (though you didn't name it, it is part of that group).

Also, I hate Wooper and its evolution...and any other water/ground pokemon for that matter. I don't have a pun for this, I considered something about a can of woop-ass, or something, but even I have standards...

Just for clarification, what do you mean by "level up for the match" and "level down for the match"?

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    the rules for the type of match will set all pokemon to 50, if you're below 50, they'll level up to that for the match, if you're above, it'll level down.

Yes those pokemon are allowed as per the rules: http://paxpokemonleague.net/rules/

Also, I hate Wooper and its evolution...and any other water/ground pokemon for that matter. I don't have a pun for this, I considered something about a can of woop-ass, or something, but even I have standards...

Just for clarification, what do you mean by "level up for the match" and "level down for the match"?

He means that the game will automatically scale your Pokemon's levels regardless of what they are to level 50.

• QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular

He means that the game will automatically scale your Pokemon's levels regardless of what they are to level 50.

Perfect, thanks!

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
    If you've thinking of challenging the League, I'd be wary of Riley and Bugly. Those two are some of the roughest leaders you're likely to face.

Now if you'll excuse me, Earthquaked floors don't fix themselves.

edited February 2013
    New leaders are going up with increasing frequency!

Also, on Tuesday, I posted a picture of the Trainer pins we're going to be giving out this year! They're SO NICE you guys. Check the site! (http://www.paxpokemonleague.net)

Propriety on
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    Jiana's battles might be easy clean up for me, but I doubt you feel the same once you face her. I've seen here take down a fair number of challengers 1, 2, 3. No muss, no fuss.

Calucian, on the other hand... Man, some days I just follow that guy around with a Dust Buster. Sand everywhere.

Jiana's battles might be easy clean up for me, but I doubt you feel the same once you face her. I've seen here take down a fair number of challengers 1, 2, 3. No muss, no fuss.

Calucian, on the other hand... Man, some days I just follow that guy around with a Dust Buster. Sand everywhere.

so what you're saying is you've got some real dirt on Calucian? Anything you'd like to share? :D

Oh man you guys, big news. From now until PAX, we're going to be upping the ante... a new gym leader will be going up EVERY WEEKDAY! :D SO MANY GYM LEADERS

I don't know if I can really keep up that level of being punny, I need to stop slacking and get my team finished as well as all the other last minute "less than 3 weeks to go" stuff.

I don't know if I can really keep up that level of being punny, I need to stop slacking and get my team finished as well as all the other last minute "less than 3 weeks to go" stuff.

Pun while training! It is good exercise for pokemon battles!

Today's leader has been posted! Beware her powerful brains! I am rather frightened of Vitani, the Conqueror of Knowledge! http://paxpokemonleague.net/

edited March 2013
    So we should start finding out who the Elite 4 and Champion are on the 15th?

Fetch26291 on
  • ddrussianinjaddrussianinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Thought I'd mention that I set up a small Pokemon Showdown server specifically designed for the PAX Pokemon League rules. For more info, you can see the post on the PPL forums here: http://paxpokemonleague.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1089

ddrussianinja on
    PAX East 2013 schedule is up. http://east.paxsite.com/schedule
    So, now we can see what we might miss in our quest to beat the Gym Leaders. Well, if we knew when the Leaders were going to be meeting up in the Lounge, we could. ;)

Let's see, who is the next gym leader...

Red. Ohhhhhhhhh boy. I'm in trouble. As soon as he spots me, he'll want to battle. (my cosplay: Team Rocket Grunt)

So we should start finding out who the Elite 4 and Champion are on the 15th?

Almost, but not quite... it'll be a bit later than that. ;D Suffice to say everything will be revealed days before PAX starts.
    PAX East 2013 schedule is up. http://east.paxsite.com/schedule
    So, now we can see what we might miss in our quest to beat the Gym Leaders. Well, if we knew when the Leaders were going to be meeting up in the Lounge, we could. ;)

This information will be going up either tomorrow or Thursday! Still working out some slight details. Sorry it's taken so long, but we just got the schedule today too, and we're working as fast as we can to get everything planned out. Remember, the PPL is community run! We're not privy to any PAX info that you're not. Keep an eye on the website.

You can rest assured though that the PPL isn't going to interfere with anything else happening in the Handheld Lounge, so that should give you some idea of times we're NOT going to be having meetups. ;D

There's also a new mechanic that I think you're going to want to know about which should be ready for release by next week. Suffice to say Handheld Meetups will not be the only place you'll be encountering groups of Leaders....

AS PROMISED, Handheld Lounge meetup times are up! As is a new gym leader! Cecilia Green, the Queen of Steam! Yesssssss

http://www.paxpokemonleague.net

A steam inspired Leader, hmm? I guess it must be SCALDing hot when she battles.

• ddrussianinjaddrussianinja Registered User regular
    Hm. Ice-themed Gym Leader is announced and suddenly nobody has bad puns?

It's official. "Batman & Robin" killed ice puns forever.

Hm. Ice-themed Gym Leader is announced and suddenly nobody has bad puns?

It's official. "Batman & Robin" killed ice puns forever.

Icey what you did there.

Yup...just terrible to even try. Lets never speak of this or that movie ever again.

• KellbotKellbot Registered User regular
    I haven't played Pokemon in a few years, but I really enjoyed trading pokemon with Pokewalkers at the first Pax East. Kinda bummed they didn't continue the pokewalker for future games.

I'm thinking of getting one of the newer games, the PPL sounds like a lot of fun - am I understanding correctly that if I want to participate, I should pick up White/Black, not White2 / Black2?

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Kellbot wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting one of the newer games, the PPL sounds like a lot of fun - am I understanding correctly that if I want to participate, I should pick up White/Black, not White2 / Black2?

Any of those will work: black, black 2, white, or white 2

HI3789R.png
    Looking at the PAX East 2013 map on Guidbook app...

Pokémon Lounge right in front of the Handheld Lounge.
    PAX East gave the League it's own hangout spot. Awesome.

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Looking at the PAX East 2013 map on Guidbook app...

Pokémon Lounge right in front of the Handheld Lounge.
    PAX East gave the League it's own hangout spot. Awesome.

Maybe, maybe not. We are trying to find out more info on the lounge because it is a surprise to us too!

• ErkenhelmErkenhelm Registered User regular
    I'm excited to battle some gym leaders, it's my first PAX and I can't wait. Just one question. After you get the 8 badges you need to face the elite four, if you can get them, can you continue to battle other leaders and get the extra badges? Or are they only for people who need them to advance due to limited supply? Either way I'll probably face as many of them as I can if they're not busy just for fun and to see how I match up.

• VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    You can continue to battle other leaders for funsies, far as I'm aware.

Also, less than two weeks 'til the great Pokebrawl begins~ How exciting!

• YavariceYavarice Registered User regular
    I'm pretty excited to play against other actual players - but me being me I'd probably be too timid to go up and challenge someone. If any gym leaders (or trainers period) see someone in a Victini, Elekid or Shaymin costume who may or may not look lost, make me participate in a battle!

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I was foolish to use pokemon I actually love instead of following a guide last year....did not win a single badge.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    The real solution there is to love all Pokemon ;) I don't have an answer for the mild torture that is breeding for IV's and grinding EV's though.

Riokenn wrote: »
    I was foolish to use pokemon I actually love instead of following a guide last year....did not win a single badge.

It's better to loose with your team than win with someone else's, and don't let the internet trick you into thinking there's only one way to win. Learn from your experiences, rally your crew, teach them some new tricks and give it another go.

Oh I know, still gonna use my favorites...though I don't expect to win a match with my slipshod team.

Riokenn wrote: »

It's better to loose with your team than win with someone else's, and don't let the internet trick you into thinking there's only one way to win. Learn from your experiences, rally your crew, teach them some new tricks and give it another go.

So long as you don't build a team out of feebas, magikarps and sunkerns that is.

No one can help you if you go that route.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also some leaders are harder than others. There are also a wide variety! You never know, your team may do much better against a leader you haven't met yet.

zerzhul wrote: »
    Also some leaders are harder than others. There are also a wide variety! You never know, your team may do much better against a leader you haven't met yet.

This is very true! We try to cater to a wide range of difficulty levels, so if you go up against a super tough leader and lose, don't despair! Seek out other leaders!

Also, trainer cards will hopefully help to recommend leaders at an appropriate level for you, so definitely make sure you get one of those!
    Yavarice wrote: »
    I'm pretty excited to play against other actual players - but me being me I'd probably be too timid to go up and challenge someone. If any gym leaders (or trainers period) see someone in a Victini, Elekid or Shaymin costume who may or may not look lost, make me participate in a battle!

Don't be timid! Just like in the games, gym leaders are eager to accept your challenge! Plus, you don't even have to solve a convoluted button-pushing puzzle to get to them! So if you see someone in a green scarf, ask to battle them!

Propriety wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »

This is very true! We try to cater to a wide range of difficulty levels, so if you go up against a super tough leader and lose, don't despair! Seek out other leaders!

That was the problem for me last year, faced three gym leaders and none of them gave me a card.