Creating a successful Web-Comic (Help!)

brad!brad! Registered User regular
I have a web-comic that I've been working hard on, and it's gotten just over 900 views in the last few weeks (which I don't think is too bad at all), and I get a good response from family and friends, but from the rest of the world the response I get is lukewarm if any response at all. I already have most of the pages posted in another thread, but the site itself is www.narwhalknight.com . The comic is only 6 pages yet, so maybe I'm hoping for too much too soon. Anyways, Id love some help! Any brutally honest feedback you have, or tips or ideas would be extremely helpful.

I'm getting a programming to help fix up the site itself, but if you have any feedback in that department I'd love to hear that too.

What can I do to gain a decent readership??

yfsDhx1.jpg

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I think you'll have better luck posting this in the Help and Advice forum, since you already have another thread about your art in this forum. You may want to PM a mod and ask them to move it for you.

However, I'll give you my PoV as a fan of web comics. IMO, the most important thing to building a readership is establishing and maintaining a regular update schedule. If you say you're going to update twice a week, then get the updates up. As a reader, seeing a webcomic that says it's going to update but doesn't makes me not want to reload the page.
    Quality art is helpful, as is good writing to attract new readers, but insuring that your existing readers have something new to look forward to when they get to your page is what's going to keep them coming back.

After that, it's a matter of time and improving your quality. You have 6 pages, and you're not going to rocket to the top of web comic popularity on a backlog that can be finished off in under 15 minutes.
    If you want to to drive traffic from the forums then don't site whore, that's a one way ticket to ban-town. Put a banner with a link in your signature. Maybe go down to SE++ and post a page or two in the webcomics thread (once you have a backlog of 10-15 strips up) with a link to your comic.

see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • brad!brad! Registered User regular
    Thanks, Ive asked a Mod to move the thread. I've also created a (crappy) banner. Ill make a better one when I can.

I for sure don't want to annoy fellow posters by being a site whore. That's the last thing I want to do. I hope my plea for feedback and advise doesn't come off that way.

As for the art quality, I do spend a lot of time of the pages. I've been drawing for 20+ yrs and went to art school, so I think the artwork is the comics strongest attribute, but of course there is always tons of room to improve, and if you have any feedback (good or bad) on it I'd love to hear specifics.

Thanks for the post/advice! I appreciate it.

yfsDhx1.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I wasn't trying to rip on your art. I'm sorry if it came across that way, I like the way it looks from what I've seen.
    I'm just saying that you shouldn't decide "Hey, this is good enough", and stop improving so the art never seems to evolve past a certain point.

As a suggestion, you may want to rework the title page on your comic. Lose the Photoshop filters, at least on the "Vs.". It really sticks out from the look of the rest of the page.

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • brad!brad! Registered User regular
    Yeah I totally agree there, I can't stand the cover page. I will be changing it as soon as I figure out what I want to put there. And no worries on the art thing, I wasn't sure what you meant, but I agree that evolution of an artist is extremely important.

yfsDhx1.jpg
  • TheJoeTheJoe Registered User regular
    I looked at the bottom of the page, saw :

©2013 The Narwhal Knight | Powered by WordPress with ComicPress | Subscribe: RSS | Back to Top ↑

You are using exactly what I am (Wordpress & ComicPress) , and I remember having minor issues with comics and updates to the point anything I changed in my settings weren't actually getting applied to the website, and I had to start it all over.

I wish I remember the specifics, however someone gave me a solution within hours and I know several things fell in place with Comic Press MANAGER. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/comicpress-manager/ I know i put that in, threw a few more comics up, blog post, etc, and little problems with away.

Now, as for the cover page, you got a few options and if you were like me, a bit overwhelmed with all the options and buttons and whatnot. Don't be afraid to throw switches, push buttons, and refresh your page to see how it looks. I suggest two windows open (one for the admin and one for the live site) so you can quickly undo whatever you did, because you may forget where it was and spend forever trying to undo something!

Been there, done that.