As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MAGFest presents Jamspace at PAX East AGAIN.

NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in PAX East
br1ghtpr1mate-550x372.jpg
Did you miss us? We missed you. The fates prevented us from doing Jamspace at PAX Prime 2012, but the losers from MAGFest are back to bring PAX East attendees the Jamspace once again.

What in the ever loving shit is "Jamspace"?
Jamspace is music all day every day during pax. We've got chiptunes, live video game cover bands, DJs, and even open jam time with provided instruments. We've got guitar, bass, drums, and keyboard for play, or you can even bring your own instruments! Follow @MAGFest on twitter for updates of what's going on all weekend.

When the hell are you doing this?
Our schedule is:
Friday
11:30am-2:30pm: Chiptunes 3pm - 5pm: Video game cover bands 6pm-11pm: Open Jam time (play our instruments, or bring your own!)
11pm-12am: Super dance party fun time featuring Dj CUTMAN

Saturday
11:30am-2:30pm: Chiptunes 3pm - 5pm: Video game cover bands 6pm-11pm: Open Jam time (play our instruments, or bring your own!)
11pm-12am: Super dance party fun time featuring Dj CUTMAN

Sunday
Open-1pm: Maybe open depending on how hungover we are
1pm - 2pm: Bands/Chiptunes 3pm-close: Open Jam time (play our instruments, or bring your own!)

Where do I sign up for this bitch?
Scheduled performances are already pre-booked, but if you want to play during open jam time, just roll right up and sign in! We typically group people together so that all instruments are covered, but we'll let you go up as a solo act if it's not too incredibly busy. Do you play an instrument and know some songs? Let everyone know by posting in this thread!

Who the fuck is MAGFest?
We're a non-profit organization dedicated to the appreciation of games and video game music. We hold events all over the country, including our flagship event, the Music And Gaming Festival, which takes place every winter in the DC area.

NickTheNewbie on

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Your absence at prime was noticed.

• Options
    You probably appreciated having to yell less whenever passing by that room...

• Options
    peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    Jamspace is the best space.

7B14287.png
  • Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    YES. I was worried y'all wouldn't make it.

• Options
    PresidentHoodiePresidentHoodie Registered User new member
    edited February 2013
    Jamspace Chip Showcase deets are as follows:

Friday:
    DJ Cutman
    Disasterpeace
    BRIGHT PRIMATE
    and Special Guests TBA!

Sat:
    Danimal Cannon
    Cheap Dinosaurs
    Active Knowledge
    and Special Guests TBA!

More info to come SOON!!! =D

\m|<3|m/

PresidentHoodie on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    Awwww yeah, must film all the things!

NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME POWER GLOVES COMING

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Awesome! What's your instrument set up going to be like this year?

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Unfortunately not this year, but I highly recommend you check out our other bands. If you like powerglove, you'll like armcannon and lords of thunder
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    We've got guitar, bass, drums, and keyboard for play.

• Options
    E-drums, right? Roland TD-20 brain? What sort of guitar amp will you have?

Sorry about all the questions, a friend and I want to play some music, we're wondering what we should bring. It's guitar and drums plus a gameboy handling bass/synth parts.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    It will be an electronic drum kit. I'm unsure what amps we'll be using at this point, and it may be completely up in the air until the day of. If you're nearby and are trying to get a very specific sound, you might want to consider bringing an amp.

• Options
    desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    I can volunteer a SammichSID for use when I'm around and an 80s Keyboard Cube40 that I don't mind getting blown out by hot lixx for the weekend, if desired.

wat
  • Options
    The more the merrier! Play your own instrument in the jamspace and you just may win a free pass to MAGFest.

• Options
    Unfortunately not this year, but I highly recommend you check out our other bands. If you like powerglove, you'll like armcannon and lords of thunder
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    We've got guitar, bass, drums, and keyboard for play.

can't only going on friday unless they accept me as an enforcer

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So Pumped to see the Open Jam return this year. I was so bummed it was gone last year. What kind of mics are you guys bringing. Figured I'd warn you ahead of time that a beatboxer is showing up.

• Options
    Man, with the Norovirus floating around, I'd definitely suggest you pack your own mic if possible. I know I'm gonna throw mine in my bag of holding.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I was wondering if I should get my self one for this. I'm seein that there might be something decent I can throw together with like 20 bucks. Nothin stellar but something workable. I'm not a pro or nothin so I'm not too discerning just yet.

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Fuck yes, Mega Ran on Friday means I know where I'll be! No force on Earth will keep me away from that show.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Okay, I'm going to try and raise the hype level a little bit here by giving you guys a taste of some of these bands.
    Or, at least a few. We have recordings of almost every group listed, we just haven't edited them together yet.

Lord of Thunder!
    Armcannon
    Danimal Cannon
    Cheap Dinosaurs
    DJ Cutman
    MegaRan

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    So Pumped to see the Open Jam return this year. I was so bummed it was gone last year. What kind of mics are you guys bringing. Figured I'd warn you ahead of time that a beatboxer is showing up.

Can't say for sure, but I'd assume at least an sm58 or two. We did have open jam last time, just not a lot of it, and our schedule wasn't very well publicized. Hopefully having the schedule pre-published this year can help that.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Oh really. Yeah I totally missed it this past year. I just figured you guys had just been doin a trial for more of a concert space vibe. Seemed like it had worked out well too, hence why I'm so pumped to see open jam on the schedule. As far as the mic goes I'm mostly all acapella. Truth be told I have very little work on a mic, mainly because I'm too poor to afford a mic setup of my own, and my roomates would be rightously displeased if I got a mic and sound equipment setup. Heck I ran into complaints when I got a didgeridoo (roomates all agreed it was to officially be classified as an outside toy). Only place I really get to do any mic work is PAX. However from my reading SM-58 is apparently exactly what I'd be looking for. So awesome. Also thanks for bringing all the Jam Gear. This really is one of the rooms I look forward to checkin out every year.

Sleep on
  • Options
    is brental floss coming at all?

• Options
    Sorry, no brental floss this year, but I'm a lot more attractive anyway.

• Options
    coconutcrowcoconutcrow Massachusetts, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Nice! Can't wait to check it out again!
    Chorazin wrote: »
    Fuck yes, Mega Ran on Friday means I know where I'll be! No force on Earth will keep me away from that show.

Ditto! I started listening to him last month, and he's got some talent! The Beat Goes On is great.

coconutcrow on
    Steam, Wii U, PSN: CoconutCrow
    3DS Friend Code: 4210-4889-9706
  • Options
    mpsmps Registered User regular
    Nick, your buddies at ACAM are thrilled you are doing Jamspace again.

Mike Stulir
    The American Classic Arcade Museum

• Options
    mps wrote: »

Mike Stulir

MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE. Beers are on me this time.

• Options
    mpsmps Registered User regular
    MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE. Beers are on me this time.

Nick, by the time we get the games moved in on Thursday, I will be ready for one....or ten. :) If you want to join us Thursday night, we would love to have you.

Mike

• Options
    mps wrote: »

Mike Stulir

remember to bring enough for every one, sharing is caring

• Options
    GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    I will be there to discover this "Lords of Thunder" band, and I am also hyped to hear Arm Cannon. Sad to hear that Powerglove won't be around though. That said, I've seen them in the Philly area twice, so it's not like I'm missing out.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Options
    Snowy620Snowy620 Registered User regular
    Pumped as hell for Dj Cutman and Disasterpeace

• Options
    activeknowledgeactiveknowledge Chipmusic Artist Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Hay guyz,

There's an event page set up for the B8B chiptune showcase over here, which includes the full extended lineups for the chipgasm:

Friday and Saturday 11:30am - 2:30pm Jamspace

Friday:

DJ Cutman
    Disasterpeace
    BRIGHT PRIMATE
    D&D Sluggers
    MC Facepalm
    Glenntai

Sat:

Danimal Cannon
    Cheap Dinosaurs
    Active Knowledge (hey sweet that's me)
    Doomcloud
    RobotSexMusic
    Sam Mulligan

There will be a lot of additional chippy things taking place throughout the weekend as well, best bet to stay posted is to probably connect with the BOSTON8BIT Facebook and Twitter pages and keep an eye out for updates while you're onsite.

Big shoutout to the MAG folks for working with us to make this happen each year! :-D

activeknowledge on
  • Options
    Updated OP to include the rest of the chiptunes

• Options
    XirycXiryc Middleburg Hts, OHRegistered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »
    Me too! Guess I have to bring my Language Arts poster for him to sign.

• Options
    ChangstonChangston Registered User new member
    Is there going to be an extra amp? I have a violin with a pick up and patch cord, but only a small practice amp. And I swear, unlike the past 4 MAGfests I've been to, I'm going to play with people. For better or worse. :]

• Options
    BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    will people be selling cds after their performances?

• Options
    zombiechronzombiechron Zebesian Mind Smuggler Miskatonic UniveristyRegistered User regular
    I have a guitar, a bass, and an amp for each. Also, an acoustic, a couple monitors, and a mic I use for recording my amps. Is any of that needed at all? Also, I really want to jam this year, I was going to last year but got really sick.

ZILTOID
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular

Artists did last year, so I'd assume so.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    D&D SLUGGERS YAAAY!

Those guys are awesome, though after I spoke with Soultron it seems like he may have to fly it solo this time. I hope he doesn't, but either way, I will now definitely be stopping in Friday morning (typically chiptunes ain't my thing, but I like their mix).

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Options
    repeterepete Registered User regular
    Is this the right place to ask if there will be a Protomen Q&A like there was in the jamspace last year?

• Options
    Changston wrote: »
    Is there going to be an extra amp? I have a violin with a pick up and patch cord, but only a small practice amp. And I swear, unlike the past 4 MAGfests I've been to, I'm going to play with people. For better or worse. :]

If you bring your practice amp, we can always mic it, or just put you directly into the PA
    Yeah there will be tables for the musicans
    I have a guitar, a bass, and an amp for each. Also, an acoustic, a couple monitors, and a mic I use for recording my amps. Is any of that needed at all? Also, I really want to jam this year, I was going to last year but got really sick.
    More equipment is always welcome, but it sounds like a lot to haul, and we can't guarantee the safety of your stuff.

This discussion has been closed.