As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sony Conference Thread: It's over! PS4 confirmed, price/console design unknown.

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    My biggest fear for this console generation is that they would go without physical media.

this isn't going to happen

• WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    jokes on you Raijin, Sony's new console is called "new Microsoft console"

4SMZq.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Fuck now I want a big dinner box

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    My biggest fear for this console generation is that they would go without physical media.

this isn't going to happen

I never thought it would but there was enough rumor to make me worry a little bit.

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    ps4 will be replaced by the ps4: sandwich

it's the same as the ps4 but with additional sandwich-making capabilities, leading it to become the only console purchased by the american consumer

No physical media on consoles would kind of kill a lot of its sales

I'd posit that the average Steam buyer is much older than the average player of a physical console, and since things like credit cards and such would likely be required to buy digital media on the new platforms, younger kids would be in a bit of a bind. You need some kind of cash market and I don't think just buying points cards would be enough. Marketing is also a HUGE factor, and the main reason Gamestop is so sought by console manufacturers. Shelf space at Gamestop is prime advertising.

I mean, if I ever thought that going all digital would actually mean anything in the long run to the consumer, like faster releases or lower prices, I'd be ecstatic and behind it 100%, but there are a scarce few markets where increased overhead/efficiency has led to a better product for the consumer, and not just for the businesses. And in the meantime, there are actual pros to having physical media over digitial, so as long as it's going to be the same for me either way, I don't mind having both.

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    The only people that I trust with digital is Steam, I think the others would screw it up on some mysterious and confusing way.

Retaba wrote: »
    The only people that I trust with digital is Steam, I think the others would screw it up on some mysterious and confusing way.

All I need to do to turn me off from all digital media on consoles is to look at the pricing models on Live/PSO. And it's really difficult to blame Gamestop for this when prices are actually lower for the physical media than it to buy it on Live.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Like say perhaps keeping users data and passwords stored in plaintext on a server somewhere?

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    To be fair, steam got hacked around the same time as well. Basically the lesson learned is to never let any website keep your billing info for you. Except for amazon maybe, which seems solid and just more convenient in general

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

All I need to do to turn me off from all digital media on consoles is to look at the pricing models on Live/PSO. And it's really difficult to blame Gamestop for this when prices are actually lower for the physical media than it to buy it on Live.

Yep, this pretty much. When I can get PC versions for fractions of the price of the console version, or even a new, unopened physical copy from Amazon for less than Sony or MS is charging for the digital version, then fuck that. Sony is, admittedly, a lot better about their pricing (fucking games on XBL On Demand are selling for $40 when they came out 3-4 years ago and can be readily obtained for half that price or less in physical form), but they're still not quite where they need to be for me.

• ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    oh yeah these was an outbreak of hacks back then

I actually have full confidence that they could eventually learn how to operate an online marketplace, but it would take years, and I just don't know if I want to go through those growing pains again quite yet, since some wounds from Steam still haven't completely healed.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Yeah if they could adopt the PC digital marketplace, pricing/sales and all, then I'd be okay with it.

Basically I am super goddamned interested in the details of both Sony's and Microsoft's new consoles, but where I'm at right now, I have absolutely no plans to adopt either one at launch, if ever.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I have an irrational hatred for gamestop after one too many "Yeah unless you preordered we can't give you any. Though we do have a few spares so my manager says I can sell you one if you preorder something else." , but as much as I love anything that lets me avoid giving them money, there's no way sony or microsoft will risk pissing them off that much yet.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    it's a bit staggering that live and psn haven't caught up at all with how steam handles digital sales with how successful it's been for years now

i have to have spent hundreds of dollars on steam sales over the past couple years. dollars i would never have spent otherwise

in psn's case, even with how spectacular a deal ps+ is, they only cut you discounts on games for the first week or so of their release

i still havent bought sound shapes or papo y yo because i didnt have time to play them when they were released, and once i did find the time their price had jumped $5 each

I mean as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft tried with Live, and fucking failed spectacularly. It's a complete joke

• ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    wasn't steam on ps3 supposed to be some great thing?

but the only game that ever supported it was portal 2

I wonder why

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The first thing Microsoft needs to do is stop using "points" and just use money.

Shabooty wrote: »
    wasn't steam on ps3 supposed to be some great thing?

but the only game that ever supported it was portal 2

I wonder why

Agreements probably broke down

Also rumors started circulating about Steam getting into the console market and, if true, Sony probably didn't want them getting that name recognition on home consoles with their dime

The first thing Microsoft needs to do is stop using "points" and just use money.

this will never happen

The one upside to having an all digital marketplace, is this would have to happen

Squall wrote: »
    it's a bit staggering that live and psn haven't caught up at all with how steam handles digital sales with how successful it's been for years now

i have to have spent hundreds of dollars on steam sales over the past couple years. dollars i would never have spent otherwise

in psn's case, even with how spectacular a deal ps+ is, they only cut you discounts on games for the first week or so of their release

i still havent bought sound shapes or papo y yo because i didnt have time to play them when they were released, and once i did find the time their price had jumped $5 each

I was just talking about this the other day with a friend. You look at the changes the PC gaming landscape/market has gone through in the same time that this current console generation has lumbered along, and the differences are staggering.

I mean, I know it's harder to make fullscale changes on the console side because you're limited by not having new hardware iterations, but I honestly can't believe just how stagnant the XBL and PSN experiences have felt these past few years. And Nintendo is just goddamned archaic and unnecessarily complicated, they're a whole different ballgame.

That's another huge joke... On Demand games are sold in straight currency, not points like everything else on the marketplace. Why make the exception for that, instead of either charging points for them, or switching everything over to currency?

I was just talking about this the other day with a friend. You look at the changes the PC gaming landscape/market has gone through in the same time that this current console generation has lumbered along, and the differences are staggering.

I mean, I know it's harder to make fullscale changes on the console side because you're limited by not having new hardware iterations, but I honestly can't believe just how stagnant the XBL and PSN experiences have felt these past few years. And Nintendo is just goddamned archaic and unnecessarily complicated, they're a whole different ballgame.

Unwillingness to properly invest, most likely. Also just a difference in sales philosophy. Steam has kind of pioneered the field because, in a lot of ways, they took a ton of chances and they all just happened to pay off. It really wasn't until they realized that it was working where they started to build a meaningful infrastructure around it (for example, gifting)

• TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    I don't know about you guys but I had a grand old time with the PS3 reveal

It was all terraflops and banana controllers and pre-rendered "in game" footage and 599 US dollars and creepy demon baby dolls laughing at the system and giant enemy crabs

I just hope we can recapture that magic

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
    It sucks I'm going to be at work when they announce this. I'll have to have it pulled up on one of the computers.

might be that they just dont have the legal framework that steam does that would allow them to have fluctuating price points

or they just aren't dedicating enough people to crunch the numbers and see how much more money they could suck out of people if they slapped a big 75% OFF! sticker on a banjo kazooie bundle

• TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Actually come to think of it all the funniest content about the ps3 pre-release came from YTMND

Damn I'm old

Who's hands are these???

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
    i have both banjo kazooie games and the n64 is hooked up but you bet your ass i would buy them again on xbl at the right price

throw in nuts+bolts since i never played it

Nuts+Bolts is such a great fucking game.

• WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »

It was all terraflops and banana controllers and pre-rendered "in game" footage and 599 US dollars and creepy demon baby dolls laughing at the system and giant enemy crabs

yeah dogg we about to be bombarded with some straight up marketing nonsense

I am hungry for it

4SMZq.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    playstation 4 will be the hottest new thing in gaming and in tearing open portals to the fiery bowels of hell itself

MSRP 2000 dollars.

Controllers sold separately.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What do you guys think will be the way the console indicates a critical failure due to faulty hardware manufacturing?

Yellow light of doom? Maybe this time they will go with an airhorn.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »

Unfortunately, I don't think that's gonna happen this time.

At least not today. Maybe at E3.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    What do you guys think will be the way the console indicates a critical failure due to faulty hardware manufacturing?

Youre thinking Microsoft.

Sony devices fail to perform on a personal level

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Uriel wrote: »

The system collapses into a black hole and swallows all light around it.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I have a crazy theory. Sony seems to want to remind people of all the great stuff on their original consoles. They are obviously planning on using streaming technology to provide some form of backwards compatibility. What if they are using it to give full PS1, PS2 and PS3 compatibility to the PS4? Additionally, it doesn't seem like there would be anything to prevent them from using to play Vita games on your PSN account on the PS4 either. It would be a neat hook for the console that it could basically play anything Sony has made.