As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Song of Ice and Fire, BOOK AND TV AND ESPECIALLY BOOK SPOILERS INSIDE

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    This may be a stupid question, but (from what we know) are they planning to ever do flashbacks Robert's Rebellion during the show? It would be awesome to see and would help pad out some of the seasons if they needed to.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I believe they've ruled out flashbacks, though I don't have a quote for you. Sorry!

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They'll probably get to that once the show passes the books.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Structurally it's very hard to do a flashback on TV to Robert's rebellion without ruining the central conceit of that story. You can write a book PoV flashback to an event and the audience will still understand that it's just what that character remembers, which is often flawed. But if the TV shows it on screen, then it's what really happened, and it's very hard to make the audience view that account with suspicion.

And at this point, "what really happened" is purely academic, the only thing that really matters is what people still alive think happened, because that's what's still shaping characters actions.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I believe they've ruled out flashbacks, though I don't have a quote for you. Sorry!

They could do a 3 episode nude re-enactment of Robert's rebellion at the brothel.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Kana wrote: »

Was Jon snow sporting a scar on his cheek?

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    I was noticing how scarred everyone is looking in that preview

Jaime's got a scrach on his cheek and nose too

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I was noticing how scarred everyone is looking in that preview

Jaime's got a scrach on his cheek and nose too

There will be a time when people look back at S01E01, at how unscarred, happy and alive everyone is, and wonder how it all went so wrong.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    The reason I bring up Jon's scar is it seems likely that might mean we'll get the eagle attack scene.

• Options
    Yeah, that would be cool. It might be some other fight scar too, Jon IS going to take a bit of a beating this season.

• Options
    As far as I can remember, @Fakefaux brings up the only time Jon was attacked in the face, so I hope they're right about the eagle attack!

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    The World of Ice And Fire seems to be up for pre-order, with a release scheduled for November.

Not planning on getting it myself (surely there will be an updated version once the series is completed), but thought I'd throw it out there.

• Options
    ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    Time for supercute drawings of characters in ASOIOF saga, YAAY:
    Samwell Tarly:
    samwell.jpg

Bran and Hodor:
    branhodor.gif

Joff and Tommen:
    baratheons.gif

Meera and Jojen:
    meerajojen.gif

Spoilered for large, and artist is Veera Brosgol

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    So Peter Dinklage is going to spend a little time with the X-Men. I will be curious if any non-readers draw a parallel to Sean Bean's casting news during season 1 and try to infer something about the show's plot. Since it's a movie it shouldn't be too many, but the panic might be fun. Regardless, love to see Dinklage getting work.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    So Peter Dinklage is going to spend a little time with the X-Men. I will be curious if any non-readers draw a parallel to Sean Bean's casting news during season 1 and try to infer something about the show's plot. Since it's a movie it shouldn't be too many, but the panic might be fun. Regardless, love to see Dinklage getting work.

how could you be so insensitive, bobble?

• Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

The thought of someone looking through IMDB to try to find out if someone might die in the series while simultaneously avoiding book spoilers is a little amusing.

• Options
    So, we've got a bunch of Season 2 deleted scenes out today:

Here's one of The Hound harassing Sansa, only to be interrupted by Tyrion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVRmuOMI7cI&feature=player_embedded

Loras and his sister discuss Renly, after a certain shadowy event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1n_CA-GjIk&feature=player_embedded

What truly happened to Dany's other handmaiden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=z7ls-iBaQcA

Varys and Littlefinger have a little confrontation following the events of The Battle of the Blackwater:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EvZmBYnowEs

Also, this article seems to confirm a sequence I am looking forward to a great deal.

• Options
    my blurays also came today. It's a shame I won't be able to watch them anytime soon, but I couldn't pass up $35

• Options
    Tamin wrote: »
    my blurays also came today. It's a shame I won't be able to watch them anytime soon, but I couldn't pass up $35

I'm in the same boat. They look lovely sitting in my bookcase, but I don't have time for all that! What a shame.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Amazon pulled a quick one on me. When I was looking at the pre-order prices, the US site was at least $15 less than the Canadian one, even after shipping and import fees. I decide last night to look at the Canadian one just to compare how much I saved.... the damn thing was also $35. I'm pretty sure it ended up costing me more this time when season 1 never got the CA-US price matching.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I'm in the same boat. They look lovely sitting in my bookcase, but I don't have time for all that! What a shame.

Yeah the wife and I were planning on getting just the digital copy but blu rays were cheaper and come with digital copies so... Yeah.

Now to play the waiting game...

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Yeah the wife and I were planning on getting just the digital copy but blu rays were cheaper and come with digital copies so... Yeah.

Now to play the waiting game...
    Aww, the waiting game sucks. Let's play hungry, hungry, hippos!

And, on topic, I got season 2 from Amazon yesterday. My wife and I are finishing up season 1 again and then starting season 2. Can't wait to check it out.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Got my S2 blu-rays and marathon'd 6 episodes. A man forgets how awesome Jaqen is.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Amazon pulled a quick one on me. When I was looking at the pre-order prices, the US site was at least $15 less than the Canadian one, even after shipping and import fees. I decide last night to look at the Canadian one just to compare how much I saved.... the damn thing was also $35. I'm pretty sure it ended up costing me more this time when season 1 never got the CA-US price matching.

Email them, maybe they will still do it for you?

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Mine shipped from Amazon yesterday. At which time the price was $29.99, hopefully they refund the difference since they charged me more than that.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    stupid thread not refreshing correctly...

Amazon seems very good about giving out credits - I pre-ordered and received them yesterday, then got an email giving me $5.41 credit. Pretty awesome.

Tamin on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to decide how bothered I am, or not, about the age thing with the kids. I mean, in the books, isn't there something like only 1.5 of our Earth years at most across the entire series so far? But Arya and Brandon have gone from kids to adults already it seems on the show.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I estimate about 9 months for each book, I think (for purposes of this, Feast and Dance are one book).

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's been more than that. The first book alone is close to nine months at minimum. Unless Rhaego was super premature when Dany went into labor. And I think Sansa is like 15 now and started at 12, right? My impression is it's been ~3 years.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    It's been more than that. The first book alone is close to nine months at minimum. Unless Rhaego was super premature when Dany went into labor. And I think Sansa is like 15 now and started at 12, right? My impression is it's been ~3 years.

...4 x 9 = 36 months, dude.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    It's been about 3 years, likely a little shy of it.

A Game of Thrones begins in 298AL and extends into 299AL, and all chapters of AFFC and ADWD take place in 300AL.

• Options
    Was responding to Yar.

• Options
    Okiedoke.

• Options
    Okay yeah, a little less than 3, makes sense. Been a while since I read them. Still, point being...

• Options
    So points:

1) No aging up = no naked Emilia Clarke, and we all agree that's a positive, right? And while I think the reality of child rulers actually ruling is known to us, it doesn't jive at all with our experiences, so making her and Joffrey pseudo adults makes things less of a stretch for people, and that's all to the good.
    2) While reading about rage filled 10 year olds murdering people is all fun and games, seeing it is kind of fucked up and triggers disbelief/dislike in a lot of people, I'm guessing. Since she'll be 14/15 I think people will buy it more easily. See also what they did with Ender's Game, which will be AWFUL, but some severe editing was needed to make it even vaguely filmable.
    3) Bran is an issue, but mostly for the poor dude who plays Hodor's back.
    4) I have no particular feeling on Sansa being aged up, though it makes the Hound/Littlefinger slightly less pervy.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Ok, so the season 3 premiere is on March 31st, yes? That would place the magical episode 9 at May 26th. I'm planning to visit a friend who watches the show only and I think that would be a good weekend to visit him. Well, it would be the next weekend since we'd both save it to watch it since I wouldn't be able to hang out until Sunday night on any weekend, but my point stays.

• Options
    I agree except for the rage-filled 10-yr-old murderers. That would be rad.

• Options
    Considering how many 28+ year old actors have entire careers playing high schoolers, I'm willing to forgive GoT

Besides, it doesn't really matter that much if book 2 is around a year and season 2 is around a year and a half, except for maybe a few things like Arya still being convincingly childish enough

Luckily Maisie Williams is still short, it'd be kind of awkward if she was shooting up like sophie whatsherface

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    Ok, so the season 3 premiere is on March 31st, yes? That would place the magical episode 9 at May 26th. I'm planning to visit a friend who watches the show only and I think that would be a good weekend to visit him. Well, it would be the next weekend since we'd both save it to watch it since I wouldn't be able to hang out until Sunday night on any weekend, but my point stays.

Yes, I have May 26 circled in red on the calendar.

This discussion has been closed.