As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Games Music (Comment please)

ZokonudZokonud Registered User regular
edited February 2013 in Artist's Corner
Hello Everyone.
I have recently started a youtube channel about videogames music.

I'm uploading videos of some arrangements and original compositions.

I accept suggestions (if you want any concrete piece just ask for it and I'll try to make you happy)

Here I leave you some links with videos.

Please subscribe and share. I make several updates every week.

Diana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flcNrV6GDww
Skyrim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkXDaEZI2Ig
Debonair Jayce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtSpN3JwUuk
Here comes Vi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3W0NzWh38

Thanks

Zokonud on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Are you looking to work on your music based on feedback, or are you just looking for youtube views?

• Options
    Both I guess.

I mean, making music that nobody hears is quite a waste of time.

But I also want to know the opinion of people in general about those pieces that I upload. If they like them or not and why. This way I can improve my composition technique to make better music.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    We aren't super populated with musicians, but we do have a few like @Nappuccino and @joshofalltrades. Unfortunately I have no talent in the area whatsoever, and cant really help.

Make sure that you are here for feedback and not for views though, If I get the feeling that you are just pushing your youtube channel, I'll have to lock the thread up up.

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Kind of hard to critique a single piano playing covers of vidja game themes. Your playing is nice, but really beyond that there's not much else to say.

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Iruka wrote: »
    ... we do have a few like @Nappuccino and @joshofalltrades.

*Ahem*

@zokonud Those are some remarkable compositions. The chord accompaniment you use move around the theme very well, particularly the skyrim arrangement. The music captures the intensity of the image in many places.

One complaint I might have is that they all have the same mood. They're all brooding, ominous, and foreboding. If that's your intent, you nailed it, though it begs the question, is this the only mood you can convey? I'm interested to see some experimentation with more energetic compositions and get outside that tricky comfort zone ( we all get stuck there once in a while :P)

Valentina Lisitsa is a great example of someone who has lots of energy in her playing, lots of expressive interpretation of tempo and Lots of dynamics, spanning the gamut of ppp soft and FFFFFFFFF loud :)
    Other than that, the only complaint I have is that it's obvious you're using a keyboard. Nothing wrong with an electronic keyboard if that's all you have, but to a lot of musicians, including myself, I'd much rather hear the real thing (especially when using synth strings, blech)

Good to see more music around here, enjoy your stay :)

ninjai on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Which of those were original pieces? My video game soundtrack knowledge is probably impeccably awful.

The covers are very nice and moody and do show you have a fair amount of skill. I quite enjoy the rolls (I don't know the proper piano playing term for them), they add a nice bit of tension to the pieces and don't distract from the rest of it.

As for your recording, am I right in assuming you're playing direction into a computer, no mic involved? It's not too bad- you've got a decent amount of reverb, but everything seems very quiet. You might be able to up the volume directly on your piano, in the recording program, or you may need to compress it just a touch (not enough to clip the audio).

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ninjai wrote: »
    One complaint I might have is that they all have the same mood. They're all brooding, ominous, and foreboding. If that's your intent, you nailed it, though it begs the question, is this the only mood you can convey? I'm interested to see some experimentation with more energetic compositions and get outside that tricky comfort zone

Well, I wasn't really thinking about it when I made them but you are right: They all have the same mood.
    I'll try to make something different for the next time.

Thanks for the suggestion and the video examples.
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Which of those were original pieces? My video game soundtrack knowledge is probably impeccably awful.
    So far just the Debonair Jayce's theme is an original composition. All other are arrangements or transcriptions.
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    As for your recording, am I right in assuming you're playing direction into a computer, no mic involved? It's not too bad- you've got a decent amount of reverb, but everything seems very quiet. You might be able to up the volume directly on your piano, in the recording program, or you may need to compress it just a touch (not enough to clip the audio).

Wich program should I use? Maybe Cubase?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I have been using Reaper a lot lately. It supports a lot of inputs and it's free.

Are you reading from a sheet, writing an arrangement to a sheet and then playing it, or just playing by ear?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    I'm writing the scores.

• Options
    I think I have solved the volume problem with my last video.

Still working on something that sounds different.

• Options
    BenditBendit Cømþü†€r Šýš†emš Anålýš† Ðeñv€r¸ ColørådøRegistered User regular
    The Skyrim arrangement is beautiful man. Great job. I like the contrast.

My Live-Tracked Electronica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSn2rozrIo
  • Options
    Bendit wrote: »
    The Skyrim arrangement is beautiful man. Great job. I like the contrast.

thanks

• Options
    does anyone know any good free sound editor capable of reading the sf2 format?
    I'm working on something with orchestra and the MIDI sound is just terrible.

• Options
    the same question and above

• Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    I like the James Bond reference in the Jayce theme.

• Options
    JohnTWM wrote: »
    I like the James Bond reference in the Jayce theme.

So do I :P

I made it because that skin is quite "Jame-Bondish" (in my opinion)