As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect 3] Operation HEARTBREAKER. Feb 15th-17th. Ban(she)e's a maneater.

1939495969799»

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I found the Hornet a lot better when I wasn't bothering to aim. Hip fire seemed more reliable for me and had less kick. That said, I haven't finished the challenge for it, but after the Collector SMG, even a burst fire or charge weapon is more enjoyable.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    The hornet was pretty neat. gotta start using that more to mix things up when I play this... hmm.

How is it neat? There are better weapons that do better damage and are lighter and easier to control and use at the same rarity.

Saying something is neat doesn't mean that I think it was the best, or optimal. :p

Before I got bored with it I was using it on a few characters, including the batarian soldier. does wonders when hip fired at close range.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the hornet seemed not entirely terrible back when i still bothered with it

never used it on gold though

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I believe the hornet has less kick back when you don't aim it. I believe its also in the description.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    DreadBert wrote: »
    DreadBert wrote: »
    Volus Adept really makes the entirety of Cerberus his bitch.

How do you deal with dragoons? They beat me like a drum when I do non-vanguard volus.

At range? Cry.

In CQC? Roll into them, pop heavy melee to stagger them, aim up, cap their head, rinse, repeat.

Never realised volus heavy melee was useful for cqc. Range isnt a problem for me due to shield boost. Between gpr/acolite/arc I can generally burn down non-bosses.

In ~700 rounds only killed a couple husks with HM. That and for the amusement of having phantoms/banshes queue up to sync kill me when it wears off. Have seen it used to cover someone capping as well, but not sure how effective it was.

When it "pulses," it's a damned reliable stun/stagger. At least, on Dragoons it certainly is.

if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I couldn't find a Silver game, so I joined a Bronze game.

Not sure if it was a bug or a cheat, but there was a Fury running around with no body. He or she was just pure Annihilation Field.

In other news, I just noticed that I've unlocked all my Voluses. Voli. Voila? Anyhow, I've named them John, Paul, George and Richard. They're pretty fab.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    So. I do u/u/g alot, right.

I have somehow managed to not play a single gold round on Firebase Goddess. Bizarre.

if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    So. I do u/u/g alot, right.

I have somehow managed to not play a single gold round on Firebase Goddess. Bizarre.
    Jade is the one I never get. Only 20 gold waves. And I had to work at the silver waves.

• Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Not sure if it was a bug or a cheat, but there was a Fury running around with no body. He or she was just pure Annihilation Field.

In other news, I just noticed that I've unlocked all my Voluses. Voli. Voila? Anyhow, I've named them John, Paul, George and Richard. They're pretty fab.

That happens to me frequently when playing the Fury or Slayer. I think it's a glitch in the teleport mechanic.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

Bug. Every now and then the game loses the body model, so you get Banshees invisible except for their warp fields, and characters who are just a floating sword or omni tool or something.
    Phoenix138 wrote: »
    Collectors would be a lot more fun if possessed abominations did similar damage to them as they do to us.
    The worst part is getting swarmed by them at extraction, because then they detonate and kill everyone when the timer hits 0. I keep waiting to see that happen and have a lag, or glitch or something register it as 'everyone dead.' Did have one time where a genius* dropped a grenade on one right BEFORE the time hit 0, and everyone died in the ensuing blast.

*I swear that genius was not me.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Had to change my opinion on collector smg last weekend. With extended clip and HB that is a mean gun on gold. From what I got the heat sink mod does not work on it though, thus my initial disgust with it. With a power user you dont overheat it if you break to cast, at least with clip mod.

My hands cant stand click spam much anymore so hornet gets downright painful to use after a couple games. At least arc pistol can charge for silly damage if you dont want to spam it.

Phoenix138 wrote: »

That happens to me frequently when playing the Fury or Slayer. I think it's a glitch in the teleport mechanic.

Good to know it's probably not malice.

So, I took my Volus Engineer out for a serious spin for the first time.

I think that I'm in love.

In a Silver Goddess game against Cerberus, using a Vindicator AR, I scored 90k. There was a L20 Kroguard with a Reeger, and I doubled his score. On two or three waves, I was the only one alive at at the end - my teammates didn't use medigel or missiles. Until the extraction wave, then there were of course missiles flying everywhere. I ran out of medigel in wave 10; we had a hack wave, and I was the only one in the hack circle, and I died and almost bled out before I finally pulled the trigger on my last gel. I think that I got the hack to 25% by myself.

I feel ridiculously fragile, but those recon mines are just too sexy for words.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    It's not that I don't give a fuck while playing a Vorcha, it's that I'm no longer intelligent enough to actually define what a fuck is, and anyhow I'd probably just set them on fire rather than giving them.

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    the hornet seemed not entirely terrible back when i still bothered with it

never used it on gold though

On Gold, the Hornet... kinda sucks. I have it for a sidearm for a number of characters so I can work on its challenges, but it's pretty slow going. Why? Because the Hornet just isn't all that great on Gold in my experiences, at least as a sidearm. I think if I made it my main weapon and threw on a stability mod and module, it'd be at least solid if not outright good. But it's not terribly accurate (hip and cover firing helps, though), and the damage isn't all that amazing on Gold.

It's better than, like... the Shuriken, the Geth Plasma SMG, and probably the Tempest. Hurricane is God gun, and I find the Locust to be a very reliable little sidearm, so those two I vote clearly beat out the Hornet in the SMG department. But I'll get on later and see if pushing towards stability, maybe throwing it on a Turian, will help the Hornet shine on Gold.

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    WTF? How did I get an awesome the moment it was posted?

These Geth are scaring me. I'd do something about it, but the Hornet keeps missing their flashlight heads.

Comradebot on
    I now know that I can solo wave ten Silver against Collectors on a Geth Infiltrator.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I had a silver match on hazard ghost end poorly when it rained for the entire extraction wave. That's not supposed to happen, is it? I don't feel too bad about it, since I joined the match on wave 5 and was <100 points from first by the end.

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I've had it rain the whole extraction wave. Typically hide out on the buildings and sprint in at the last 10 seconds or so.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    At work. Will make new thread when I get home.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Holy shit, the krogan sentinel. Never before have I played gold and not really felt any pressure about making it through to extraction. Sure, there were sticky moments, but never did I get to the 'oh fuck, gotta save 1 missile and a medigel to make it through extraction.' I only used to vs collectors, only with two missiles, and 1 Ops pack.

I was a distant fourth with a mere 60k, and in silver, I've never been this consistently high scoring with a character. :P

*edit* HA! As reward, I got a krogan soldier. Now what to do with this bastard...

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    6/3/6/5/6 is my preferred build, and it has served me well.

There is the case to be made that maxing out Carnage is worth your while, but I don't like giving up anything else for it...

Yeah, looking like what putting more than three ranks into carnage gets you, vs, well, all the other stuff doesn't really seem like a good trade off.

• Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I swap points from Fortification into Carnage. Otherwise the rest is similar to Orca's.