As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb: video games, comic books, and other misogyny

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Nintendo is doomed
    if anyone is fucked in the long run my money is always on sony

nintendo is fucked in the short-term

sony is probably fucked in the long-term despite how cool the ps4 looks because they don't know how to market anything they ever do

I dunno from a marketing perspective this conference seems pretty smart to me.

Got like millions of people watching and interested and #PS4 is trending on twitter.

After all, Sony gutted their marketing team recently right? Maybe the replacements know what they are doing?

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Sony is doomed
    YcI6St3.png

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Sony is doomed
    Jonathan Blow seems like kind of an asshole.

he's the kanye west of videogames

dude's a great A dick but he makes good stuff

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Microsoft is doomed
    Braid was okay.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    oh right that whole thing

so I didn't miss anything, right
    johnathan blow did just walk up on stage and talk about how other games suck and about how he is displaying his brilliant innovative mind by remaking myst

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Looks like the standard, onboard memory is GDDR5, or at least that is a common interpretation of the conference

that's fucking crazy

8 gigs of GDDR5

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    YcI6St3.png
    Well, they didn't show a PS4 box so I'm guessing that's true of all the demos they showed.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Microsoft is doomed
    I LOVE PATRICK KLEPEK

Anyways:

I liked what I heard about the show, and I'm already sold on PS4. Obviously I'm sold on the Wii U after that Nintendo Direct a few weeks ago, along with the fact that I already bought one of the damn things. Microsoft has the most to prove here: their biggest factor for me has always been that multi platform games performed better on it, but if things are on more equal footing now thanks to the architecture, then MS really doesn't have a leg to stand on IMO. Not a single first party Microsoft IP I care about. I'm not counting them out just yet, I just need to see what they can do to convince me to drop money on them this time. Because it isn't the appeal of being first out of the gate again, and if they lose that multi platform edge, and don't bring their subscription service up to snuff with Sony's...yeah

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Sony is doomed
    just remember the dead silence after the Killzone demo

just

remember

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Nintendo is doomed
    can the op have actual content on the press conference that isn't videos

• Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »

johnathan blow did just walk up on stage and talk about how other games suck and about how he is displaying his brilliant innovative mind by remaking myst

This is literally what happened

he made a snarky comment about explosions after the Killzone demo

like every other word of his was some two-faced comment

I love Patrick but he had praise for Blow's "games critique"

I just thought it was asinine

• Options
    Nintendo is doomed
    huh, tdot?

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular

just

remember

Yeah but you should also remember the opening of the Drive Club demo started up like, seconds after the share thing finished.

Not a ton of room to applaud.

• Options
    Nintendo is doomed

just

remember
    Yeah I don't care about killzone either.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    who actually plays killzone?

I mean

there have to be a lot of people playing killzone, right?

why else would they keep making the fucking things?

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »

"other games have explosions but here let me show you my art"

• Options
    I'm with Ryan

Drive Club demo guy was fucking great

bring him on for every driving game

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Sony is doomed
    Huntera wrote: »

just

remember

Yeah but you should also remember the opening of the Drive Club demo started up like, seconds after the share thing finished.

bullshit, all the game presentations happened one right after the other

plenty of clapping with other demos

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Nintendo is doomed
    I thought that was really good and I say that as someone who was expecting by default to probably choosing the microsoft console at least at first.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Nintendo is doomed
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I thought that was really good and I say that as someone who was expecting by default to probably choosing the microsoft console at least at first.

deja vu

this must be the matrix!

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    I'm with Ryan

him and "fuck the man" guy

• Options
    Nintendo is doomed
    I'm with Ryan

"We simulate EVERY THREAD of CARBON FIBER in the components of these cars"

• Options
    Nintendo is doomed
    oh wait, this thread is preemptive!

geth, kill this thread, and also tdot

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »

just

remember

bullshit, all the game presentations happened one right after the other

plenty of clapping with other demos

Nobody got up to talk or anything after Killzone, people did for like every other demo.

You guys are like serious downers about everything tonight, it seems Kinda Dumb.

• Options
    Nintendo is doomed
    who actually plays killzone?

I mean

there have to be a lot of people playing killzone, right?

why else would they keep making the fucking things?
    Sony employees.

• Options
    Sony is doomed
    Uriel wrote: »
    I'm with Ryan

"We simulate EVERY THREAD of CARBON FIBER in the components of these cars"

TEN YEARS

CHECK IT

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    oh wait, this thread is preemptive!

geth, kill this thread, and also tdot
    again, I actually didn't mean to post the thread when I did

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Microsoft is doomed
    Drive Club guy was so genuinely enthusiastic. I just wanted to give him a high five.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Sony is doomed
    I guess I'll give my thoughts too.

They didn't show anything surprising game-wise. Fuck Killzone, lolDiablo. WatchDogs isn't new and I've always loved that so nothing they were going to show would ever change that. That Destiny thing would have been passable if we hadn't seen it a week ago, and what's with replaying that year-old SE demo? I do like that DD thing though.
    The hardware stuff was okay, but I still can't get over it being 2013 and backward compatibility still being an issue. That dream demo was kinda cool? And I like the streaming feature, but come on, that sounds cool no matter what company it's about.
    If it were a half-hour thing, it would've been great. But a 2-hour presser that amounts to "here's a few demos, one of which you've already seen; a port announcement; two great games you already knew about; one new IP; tech stuff; and new Killzone that pretty much everybody knew was going to be announced. We might have it out by holiday season. You want a price announcement, actual new games, or even a glimpse at what we just spent 2 hours gushing about? You just wasted 2 hours of your life, come back in a few months AT E3 BYE YALL" is not a thing I can consider great and feel good about.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Backwards compatibility is going to become more of an issue over time, not less.

This is especially true of the PS3 because of its weird ass processor and hardware.

• Options
    Nintendo is doomed
    The online connectivity stuff they showed was really interesting but we'll have to see how that works with Plus or World or however they breakup their premium online content. The share button stuff was super cool though, that is genuinely exciting.

As far as software, Knack looked neat, Infamous is exciting even if it was just a CG trailer, Watch Dogs and Destiny both look great. That Capcom game looks potentially incredible if that was real footage, impossible to know. The Witness looks good. And that tech demo from the Beyond guy was super impressive looking.

These are my thoughts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Nintendo is doomed
    i'm surprised Sony even let Square-Enix go on stage with that half-assed shit they pulled

like the SE guys just show up with a huge .avi file on a flash drive and go "when it's our turn, plug this in and hit play. don't look at it until then. it's top-secret."

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Nintendo is doomed
    while nintendo isn't actually doomed wiiu is a really fucking stupid name and most people don't even know it's a new console

• Options
    The Capcom game looked like a prerendered trailer with UI elements strapped on that whole time, except when they were walking forward through the cave. All the fighting and stuff did not look real-time.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Nintendo is doomed
    all the sony guys standing in the wings of the stage collectively start to panic when they realize that they're just playing the same tech demo again

"fuck, what do we do? what do we do?!"

"we can't just cut it, this is all they brought! fuck!"

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    My thoughts: New inFamous, fuck everything else.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    verizon is probably doomed

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I don't buy that the Wii U is fucked by Vita/PS4 connectivity any more than it was by PS3/Vita connectivity

cause with the Wii U you just gotta buy the Wii U and for Vita/PS4 you gotta buy a Vita and a PS4

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Nintendo is doomed
    i'm surprised Sony even let Square-Enix go on stage with that half-assed shit they pulled

like the SE guys just show up with a huge .avi file on a flash drive and go "when it's our turn, plug this in and hit play. don't look at it until then. it's top-secret."

Square is a big enough deal that Sony felt they probably had to have them there even if they had nothing to show, particularly for the japanese audience since the majority of the thing was so western focused.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Nintendo is doomed
    -Tal wrote: »
    I don't buy that the Wii U is fucked by Vita/PS4 connectivity any more than it was by PS3/Vita connectivity

cause with the Wii U you just gotta buy the Wii U and for Vita/PS4 you gotta buy a Vita and a PS4

i think the console is in jeopardy for the next few months until the big games hit, and we see how console sales are effected by that. Currently, it's selling really poorly.

This discussion has been closed.