As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Old VIDEO GAME RPG thread is dead. Long live the new VIDEO GAME RPG thread!

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
I want to talk about RPG's again of the video game persuasion.

I just got a 3DS XL so I've got a new world of RPG's to play, especially since I missed out on most of the DS one.

Lunar: Dragon Song got bashed on metacritic...is it that bad? Would someone who love the tedium of JRPG's like it? These are the important questions.

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    everyone shut the fuck up and go buy Fire Emblem: Awakening

*drops microphone, leaves stage*

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I bought SMT: Nocturne and Star Ocean 2 this past week

should be in for good timez

star ocean 2 is so good, goddamn

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Nocturne is amazing, hope you have fun with it.

I'm enjoying the shit out of Ni No Kuni even though I'm pretty sure it's actually really mediocre. The entire game apears to be nothing but a series of only slightly connected fetch quests, but it makes up for it by having just so much shit to do.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Still playing through Xenoblade, haven't beaten it yet, (had a minor interruption in my gameplaying when it first game out in the form of my kid) and so i'm about 40 hours into it now.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I beat ff8 last night!

I still don't even understand what the fuck was going on in that game. It was so cool from a technical standpoint, I really liked the mechanics, drawing, junctions, all of that

but the story just kept making me want to turn it off every time i got to a new plot point

i would ask my wife 'does it really get dumber than this' and she'd just laugh at me

and then somehow, some way, it got dumber.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    The Betman wrote: »
    but the story just kept making me want to turn it off every time i got to a new plot point

In the PAST, some jerk sorceress gets shot into space. She gets super mad, and then nobody can use radio signals.

In the LESS PAST, a bunch of kids live in an orphanage together. Their matron is also a sorceress.

In the ALMOST PRESENT, a sorceress in the FUTURE possesses the LESS PAST sorceress because she wants to futz with time.

In the PRESENT, those kids I mentioned earlier meet up (but forgot about the LESS PAST because of reasons) because the sorceress from the ALMOST PRESENT is causin' war and shit.

In the FUTURE, a sorceress possesses a sorceress in the ALMOST PRESENT because she wants to futz with time.

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
    FF8
    I still don't even understand what the whole 'time compression' bullshit was supposed to accomplish? Kill everyone? I guess??

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    FF8
    I still don't even understand what the whole 'time compression' bullshit was supposed to accomplish? Kill everyone? I guess??
    SeeD was started shortly after Edea received the dying Ultimecia's powers and met Squall Leonhart from the future who told her about the SeeD.

l3icwZV.png
  • kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    The first 10-15 minutes of nocturne blew my mind. It's one of my favorite JRPGs.

Either way, it was really dumb. Would love to see those mechanics used again with a story that wasn't super dumb!

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    HEY IS THIS THE PERSONA THREAD

(No but for real the Dragon Quest games rule)

• WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    Let's talk about Xenoblade Chronicles in this thread.

Rather, let's quote the infinitely-repeated before/during/after battle shouts the characters make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elMJ8VJvGoM

Machwing wrote: »
    FF8
    SeeD was started shortly after Edea received the dying Ultimecia's powers and met Squall Leonhart from the future who told her about the SeeD.

holy shit

i forgot about this part

hahahaha

that's some fucking homestuck-level bullshit

I'm pretty sure when I saw that, I just muttered 'fuck' and went to bed

Y'all aren't making me regret that FF8 is the only FF I've never played.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Y'all aren't making me regret that FF8 is the only FF I've never played.

it's really bad in basically every respect

FF8
    ultimecia wanted all time to exist at once so she would not die

PiptheFair wrote: »
    FF8
    ultimecia wanted all time to exist at once so she would not die

But I was under the impression that sorceresses can't die because of their powers? Or am I misinterpreting that

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    IT'S REYN TIME

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

I just got a 3DS XL so I've got a new world of RPG's to play, especially since I missed out on most of the DS one.

Lunar: Dragon Song got bashed on metacritic...is it that bad? Would someone who love the tedium of JRPG's like it? These are the important questions.

lunar: dragon song is legitimately, without hyperbole, one of the absolute worst games I have ever played

it is so bad that its publication can only be interpeted as an act of overt aggression toward anyone who has ever played a video game

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    my original ds lite is on it's last legs. Shoulder buttons don't work. Doesn't recognize certain games. But it did good for 7 years.

Should I get a 3DS if I want to play RPGs on the go again? FF Tactics A2 and Chrono Trigger were there for me on every plane/road trip I took, and I'm not really interested in any other genre of game. I know Fire Emblem is hot shit but is it enough to buy the system?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    IT'S REYN TIME

One more like that and we'll be right as Reyn.

HA HA
    YOU CRACK ME UP, SHULK

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    u guys xenoblade is so fuckin good

Fire emblem is good too though I think normal might be to easy because some of my s rank pair ups are doing bad bad things to the enemy

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    xenoblade is good

good luck finding a copy

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    did someone say OLD VIDEOGAME RPGS?!?!?!?!?!?!?

MM7_Morcarack.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    yeah shits going for around 120 bucks last I checked

clutching my imported pal version tightly to my chest

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    my original ds lite is on it's last legs. Shoulder buttons don't work. Doesn't recognize certain games. But it did good for 7 years.

Should I get a 3DS if I want to play RPGs on the go again? FF Tactics A2 and Chrono Trigger were there for me on every plane/road trip I took, and I'm not really interested in any other genre of game. I know Fire Emblem is hot shit but is it enough to buy the system?

yes

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I am playing through last remnant, and really wish this game would just pick a difficulty curve. And why can one of my characters deal like 3 times the damage of everyone else. But I can't stop trying to figure out this horribly explained, and completely broken system.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    BUNCH A JOKAHS

Shorty wrote: »
    xenoblade is good

good luck finding a copy

I got one 8-)

cost me like 40 bucks I don't know how many years ago and I don't regret it

Speaking of hard to find RPGs, should I go buy Ni No Kuni now even though I probably won't play it for 6 months?

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Shorty wrote: »

lunar: dragon song is legitimately, without hyperbole, one of the absolute worst games I have ever played

it is so bad that its publication can only be interpeted as an act of overt aggression toward anyone who has ever played a video game

Tell me how you really feel.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    My first thought upon seeing the title for the Planescape sequel was, "Well, that's a dumb name."

Then I sat there and really thought about the quality of the title "Planescape: TORMENT," and decided to ease up on the judgment.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Lunar: Dragon Song was really, really bad.

It had an auto pilot combat system.

Also, I need to finish Lost Odyssey.

Yukira on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    OK, so what DS RPG's should I get?

I know I want The World Ends With You.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Kingdom Hearts 358/2 wasn't too bad.

Bit dodgy on the camera now and then and some of the flying segments were a pain.

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Final fantasy tactics advance 2 was an improvement over the first game. While its still not as good as tactics, it is still balls fun! Get that!

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!