As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect 3] Operation LODESTAR. Are you bad enough a dude/dudette to quad Platinum?

DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does StuffYou Know, There. Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in Games and Technology

cerberuslogo.png

unledpev.png
Mass Effect Wiki - Suicide Mission Guide (ME2) - Import Saves (ME1/2 PC & XBOX ONLY) -
Face Codes (ME2)

300pxme3logo.png
Earth is burning. Striking from beyond known space, a race of terrifying machines have begun their destruction of the human race. As Commander Shepard, an Alliance Marine, your only hope for saving mankind is to rally the civilizations of the galaxy and launch one final mission to take back the Earth. Available Everywhere NOW.

List of Origin/XBL/PSN names here! (Join here!)

Join the Steam group!

Xbox Metatag = PennyA ME3

ME3 Pre-Release Videos
Normandy Tour 2 - Normandy Tour - Hijacking an Atlas - Palaven Gameplay - Live Action Trailer - Mars Gameplay - Galaxy Map - CG Trailer - FemShep Trailer - Ruthless and Intelligent Enemies - Adrenaline-Pumping Gameplay - Integrated Storytelling - Customizable Arsenal - Voice Cast - Multiplayer Trailer - James Vega - Tuchanka Gameplay - Squad Leader Gameplay - E3 Trailer - Earth Demo - Sur'Kesh Demo - Reaper Base Demo - Kinect Demo

ME3 DLC Videos
Leviathan - Omega - Extended Cut Interview - Resurgence - Rebellion - Earth - Retaliation - Reckoning

More Mass Effect

Games!
200pxmasseffectoriginal.jpg masseffectgalaxylogo.jpg
200pxfinalboxartme2.jpg

Comics!
180pxmasseffectredempti.jpg 180pxmasseffectevolutio.png 180pxmasseffectinvasion.jpg 73322203.png
200pxme2aria.png 43458948.png vegat.png

Books!
230pxmerevelation.jpg 190pxmeascension.jpg 190pxmeretributioncover.jpg 190pxmasseffectdeceptio.png

A motion picture! + An anime!

Community Sundries

@TychoCelchuuu has been kind enough to provide peeks at Commander Shepard's facebook page:
one |two| three | FOUR! | FIVE!!

@GoodKingJayIII provided the following way to skip much of the introduction for the PC version of ME2:
A lot of people don't like the opening 10 minute intro movie, but there is a way to get rid of it. Go to:

C:....mass effect 2\BioGameMovies

Change the extension of the following files to .bak:

Opening_End_Seq.bik

Opening_End_SeqFM.bik

Opening_Seq_INT.bik

ProCer_300_FirstFlight.bik

ME2_Opening_SunMid_INT.bak

ProNor_Pod2.bik

ProNorEscape.bik

ProNorEscapeAsh.bik

ProNorEscapeKaid.bik

ME2_Opening_SunMid_ESN.bik

ME_EAsig_720p_v2_raw.bak

BWLogo.bak

ProNor_Shepard_Rebuilt.bik

This will not get rid of everything, you still have to watch the non-CGI cutscenes and Save Joker. But it does cut down quite a bit. If you want those movies back just rename them to .bik again. If you're worried your renaming the wrong thing, you can download a BIK palyer and confirm the files.

3. For those who hate planet scanning and hacking, there is an easy ini file edit floating around. This is just a colaseced editor that you guys have already been playing with but this one seemed pretty idiot proof to me. This again needs an external program but is non-excutable.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yjjzlzzzmyj

This has all kinds of stuff like god mode, extra weapons, infinite ammo etc., but if you just want the money, just use it to get your resources, save, then exit the game and revert to the non-hacked state.

@korodullin has kindly offered some R&R with a wonderful game of bingo!

bingofinalv2.jpg

@Spoit has a far more simple variation:
me2bingo.jpg

@curly haired boy strikes back with awesome wallpapers taken from the ME2:
@Orca has kindly complied all of the shamelessly awful pictures posted in this thread.

@Orca explains how to transfer ME1 to Origin:
From the other thread, enter your info here: https://activate.ea.com/gameactivation.do

then create or link an existing EA classic account. Origin should figure out what's up without you doing anything more at that point.

*If buying ME somewhere other than Origin and it doesn't contain BDTS or PS, contact Origin CS and they can get it fixed for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG2mdZ23eP8
-Tal wrote: »

Massive. End. Spoilers. DO NOT CLICK. SERIOUSLY.

From @Yougottawanna a Brilliant dissection as to why the ending is so bad in Red Letter Media Style:
And a followup:
From @manwiththemachinegun SECRET TRUE ENDING HHEYYYYAAA!!!!!

True Last Boss!

Bioware Blog Where official announcements about pending Multiplayer weekend events are made.
MP Build Simulator
Mass Effect 3 MP Weapon Data
Mass Effect 3 MP Wave Composition Chart
Bioware Resistance Multipliers Thread
For a list of your obtained equipment and their respective levels, check your Bioware Social account. Go to "My Games" and click Mass Effect 3 in the pop-up box and then choose Multiplayer Manifest.

Special thanks to @-Tal for putting together an awesome OP.
The OP has been stolen so many fucking times. We're gonna fill up the OP with credits. :D
OP Shamelessly stolen from @forar who stole it from @The Dude With Herpes who stole it from @jdarksun who stole it from @forar who stole it from @jdarksun who stole it from @-Tal
Taramoor wrote: »
The following was posted by a BioWare mod as an apology for the online pass issue, which they're working on.
tumblr_m28k0axzRD1rq5i6do1_500.jpg
830pxinterrupticons.png
And last, but certainly not least: The TRUE Hero of Mass Effect
u8BWP.gif

Dragkonias on

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Oh yeah. While we're at it.

I took the liberty of replacing the old link that held the XBLA/PSN/Origin tags since it had fallen into disuse at this point. I don't use Google Docs a lot but I think everything should be in order.

So you can add your info there if you're still playing.

I left the Xbox and Steam groups alone though.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Yeah, looking like what putting more than three ranks into carnage gets you, vs, well, all the other stuff doesn't really seem like a good trade off.

The reason to go 6 in Carnage is for deadlier fire explosions. Detonation strength varies only on the total level of the combined setup and detonation powers. So if you're 6 in Incendiary Grenades and 3 in Carnage, your detonations will be less effective than if you go 6 in both.

That said, I prefer the extra durability, weapon damage, and power damage granted by my setup.

• Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I was mistaken earlier. I currently have my Krogan soldier spec'ed:
    4/5/6/5/6

Everything geared toward power damage to let the DoT of the inferno grenades do most of the work.

• KanaKana Registered User regular

I still love this thing so much

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Quads.

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    GambleMike Hey, how's everyone's week going so far? Any big plans for thurs/fri?

If he turns out to be trolling, I sware I'm gonna take another 2-month-break...

Karissa Barrows: I would sure like to newDLC it up on Thurs/Fri if you're free. ;)

Chris Priestly: For which game? #trollololo

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    So I've been trying out different Sentinels. The Batarian is pretty solid and fun, but I can't seem to score terribly well with it. Human, Turian, and the Asari Valkyrie just don't seem to work for me; I guess I just don't get sentinels. But then I tried the N7 Paladin and realized that it isn't a sentinel at all, but a sturdy Engineer capable of chaining tech explosions out the wazoo.

I'm slowly plinking away towards my Phaeston use challenge so all my characters currently run around Silver games with Phaestons, but I think I'm going to take the Paladin to Gold. I reckon a Paladin with a pierce mod would suit him, because Guardians are really the only opponents that give him pause.

MSL59.jpg
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    So I've been trying out different Sentinels. The Batarian is pretty solid and fun, but I can't seem to score terribly well with it. Human, Turian, and the Asari Valkyrie just don't seem to work for me; I guess I just don't get sentinels. But then I tried the N7 Paladin and realized that it isn't a sentinel at all, but a sturdy Engineer capable of chaining tech explosions out the wazoo.

The standard Human Sentinel is, in my opinion, one of the best classes in the game; warp and throw is one of the more powerful biotic combinations, and tech armour's there to increase your survivability. There's not a lot to human Sentinels, really. I mean, compared to a lot of other classes, they're just really straight forward. That may be what I like the most about them, though.

BatSent = Bad Sent

steam_sig.png

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Human sentinal is simple, but stupid strong. Tech armor give survivability and increases the damage of warp and throw (not explosions though).

Only real weakness is that warp and throw get dodged a lot.

Just add a weapon that staggers and you make up for that issue. Scorpion does that now, the falcon will do it better once the AR lightweight materials goes live.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    I guess I'll give it another try with a more suitable weapon. Most of the time I found myself wishing I was playing an Asari Adept with Stasis instead, thanks to all the dodging. But yeah, the human sentinel was certainly very playable, in contrast to the Valkyrie which seemed just bizarre. I assume her job is to prime biotic detonations with annihilation field, which seems like a lot of work for little gain. I suppose it just isn't a very pug-friendly class?

MSL59.jpg
  • DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Valkyrie worked better with pugs for me. In pre-made groups we generally kill too quick for her to get into cqc where she really shines. Disciple worked prerty well for me on her as well. Light and good stagger weapon.

DreadBert on
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    BatSent = Bad Sent

Nnnyope.

I'm slowly plinking away towards my Phaeston use challenge so all my characters currently run around Silver games with Phaestons, but I think I'm going to take the Paladin to Gold. I reckon a Paladin with a pierce mod would suit him, because Guardians are really the only opponents that give him pause.

I love my Batarian Sentinel, and will defend his awesome as hard as I can. I regularly top t3h charts with mine on Gold, though part of that is because I'm generally awesome. With that said, it's a pretty simple build. And take this for what you will, but I play on the XBOX... maybe it's a whole different brand of enchilada on the PC.

I go 0/6/6/6/6. Blade armor is cool and all, but by dropping it you can fully invest in Fitness instead and trade off the potential damage reduction for 30% more health and shields, while not sacrificing your recharge speed. Then it's simple: you carry a scary, lighter gun (I use a Paladin, but Carnifex, KHP, and similar guns work fine as well) and proceed to snap off headshots like its nobody's business, and spam powers like it's everybody's business.

A wise man once said on these boards that Submission Net sucks on Gold and you're wasting DPS by taking it: that wise man was either not as wise as he thought, or is capable of squeezing off headshots on moving targets at long distance with superhuman ability. Can't disagree enough with that sentiment. Netting an enemy at a distance makes them the easiest kills you'll ever get on Gold. Take electrified net, hit an enemy in the middle with said net, and proceed to headshot all the enemies jittering around from the electricity. Not to mention the outright utility of submission net... even if you're a great aim, sometimes trying to pop a moving target in the head while you're getting lit up every time you poke out of cover is annoying. I like to duck out long enough to net, drop back down, and if the net hits pop up for a quick kill with minimal risk to myself. Not to mention you can snare enemies around/behind cover and prevent their escape. Point is, SubNet is awesome when used proper, even on Gold. Oh, and before I forget, Electro-Net trivializes otherwise annoying Dragoons.

It's only downside is enemies loving to roll away... but that's why you try to make them roll first, and even if you don't you've minimized recharge speed so a missed net means you WILL snare them with the next net.

Shockwave is mostly there to set off your own tech bursts and other people's biotic explosions, along with knocking Guardian shields out of the way long enough to pop them in the face, dealing with crappier enemies, flushing enemies out of cover, and to just generally be a dick and spam it through walls.

Maybe it's not a top tier class (okay, it's not), but I've beat out many a FOTM class played by decent players with my Bat Sent using that strategy. And perhaps you really are (as in you, personally) not using SubNet and really can ace headshots without it from across the map all day long. If so, more power to you. Just sharing my experience with the Batarian Sentinel. Yeah, it's not a very sophisticated or elegant build, but it works.

EDIT: Though at some point I really need to try and see what happens if I drop the final evolution of Shockwave and take the first three bits of BA, and see how badly it effects my recharge now. But I'm too lazy at this time.

Comradebot on

Oh, and another chunk of advice: Turian Sentinels are beastly. Maybe a little supporty, but with Warp and Overload you've got both nice CC and the ability to strip away any kind of defense with ease. Take all the stability upgrades, throw on a Hurricane, and proceed to send everything to Hell.

• Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    I love the Batarian Sentinel, but the Submission Net is a big ol' bitch when it comes to attaching to where it's aimed at about 60% of the time.

if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Never noticed dragoons getting slowed down from the SubNet. They and pyro's still scoot around pretty good after being netted. What am I missing?

edited February 2013
    It amuses me when I see someone use Stasis or SubNet for headshots. The time to cast it alone is long enough to pull off another headshot - or round of Headshots if you favor the Indra. Not to mention that if you're depending on it you've wasted a whole casting cycle if an enemy dodges it.

SubNet is inferior to stasis as it can be dodged, doesn't have an AoE, doesn't set up Biotic Explosions. It's inferior as a damage dealing power to Overload and Incinerate. It can also be dodged.

Shockwave is a good power - on any class that can use it to detonate Biotic Explosions. Anything else and it's useless. Using it against unprotected Enemies? Just shooting them is quicker. Using it to detonate Tech Bursts? The seconds wasted casting both powers allow for higher DPS by just flat out using your weapon.

The only good power the BatSent has to offer is Blade armor. Which doesn't even help with DPS.

Good thing the Vorcha Engineer has at least two great powers, Bloodlust and Incinerate.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

You can make a strong case for the Valkyrie as the best Sentinel, even with the Paladin standing right next to her, but she's a definite CQC class.

What do you have on her, weapon-wise?

dN0T6ur.png
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Last night I spent a few hours as a human engineer. Tried out the arc pistol that we were talking about in the last thread. I'm not sure if I can pull the trigger 9 times per second like was mentioned but I found it easier to do my best than try to get the <1/3 second charging rhythm.

Early goings were tough. Seemed like I would die all the time. I dropped some points into fitness for the health/shield bonuses and it got a bit better. Might toy around with it some more.

Stagger everything with Overload. And Incinerate. Incinerate, then Overload. It'll work out well.

We expecting some DLC talk today? Some? I would like some

dN0T6ur.png
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Yea, that's what I got into the habit of doing, cycling overload/incinerate.

I do like the contrast to the human soldier I was using. Barriers/Shields/Armored foes aren't as big of a deal now.

edit: What weapons do others like to throw on human engineers? My perception is that something very light to keep power recharge high is important.

BlazeFire on

Adrenaline Rush or Marksman or similar is your friend for those types of challenges.

And you should always have piercing for your hitscan guns (either inate or via mod or consumable). Always.

• SneakmanSneakman Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I love the N7 Paladin. It is hands down my favorite class and I play him about 50% of the time on Gold. I run him 6/6/6/5/3 with a Talon (or Piranha with Power Efficiency Module III), but I may respec him to try out the Fire/Cryo Shield. I like to play him close quarters but I'm not sure I could constantly melee.

I joined a lobby of superstars last night (all 15K+ challenge points) and we annihilated Gold Collectors in 16 minutes on Dagger. Krogaurd, KroSent, Valkyrie and my Paladin just laid waste to everything. It was faster and easier than most of my Silver games have ever been.

Sneakman on
    Diablo 3 | Sneakman#1625 | S9 Multishot Demon Hunter
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Stagger everything with Overload. And Incinerate. Incinerate, then Overload. It'll work out well.

We expecting some DLC talk today? Some? I would like some

I'm expecting MP today, SP tomorrow. Be nice if Beach Party is announced today though.

I guess I'll give it another try with a more suitable weapon. Most of the time I found myself wishing I was playing an Asari Adept with Stasis instead, thanks to all the dodging. But yeah, the human sentinel was certainly very playable, in contrast to the Valkyrie which seemed just bizarre. I assume her job is to prime biotic detonations with annihilation field, which seems like a lot of work for little gain. I suppose it just isn't a very pug-friendly class?

In my experience, you want an Adrenaline Mod 3 on the Valkyrie, and preferably Stronghold Gear or something similar. Minimize cooldowns, and abuse the shit out of your biotic explosions. You basically need to charge in, set off an explosion, and get out. Dodge around the corner and run in from another side to hit them again. When it works, you're setting off explosions non-stop and everything dies.

When it doesn't, you die horribly, in horrible places.

It's basically a more forgiving Fury, but without the Fury's teleport-dodge that can get you out of trouble.

I roll Valkyrie as a mobile weakening-based shotgun platform. She does very well with the Claymore, the Piranha, and the Raider.

dN0T6ur.png
    It amuses me when I see someone use Stasis or SubNet for headshots. The time to cast it alone is long enough to pull off another headshot - or round of Headshots if you favor the Indra. Not to mention that if you're depending on it you've wasted a whole casting cycle if an enemy dodges it.

SubNet is inferior to stasis as it can be dodged, doesn't have an AoE, doesn't set up Biotic Explosions. It's inferior as a damage dealing power to Overload and Incinerate. It can also be dodged.

Shockwave is a good power - on any class that can use it to detonate Biotic Explosions. Anything else and it's useless. Using it against unprotected Enemies? Just shooting them is quicker. Using it to detonate Tech Bursts? The seconds wasted casting both powers allow for higher DPS by just flat out using your weapon.

The only good power the BatSent has to offer is Blade armor. Which doesn't even help with DPS.

Good thing the Vorcha Engineer has at least two great powers, Bloodlust and Incinerate.

And yet I consistently put up the top points in teams, so... yeah. I'm what, maybe sacrificing one and a half shots with the Paladin every time I decide to launch a net at something? If it's a smaller, moving target, maybe a Possessed Collector Captain moving perpendicular to me, how many of those shots hit? Do I keep him lined up long enough to dust him up before he's out of my line of sight? If I catch something in the net on the first go (which is happens more often than it doesn't), how many of those shots hit? How much of a hit does my DPS take because I have to reload more often because I'm having to use more bullets to get the same amount of hits?

Same with Tech Bursts. I don't go around trying to set them off, but if the enemy is weak enough and set up for it, I'll gladly use it as a finisher to conserve a round.

But it doesn't matter. I just walked out with 160k points on a 21 minute Gold clear (I was Lone Survivor). It may be a little on the higher end for my Bat Sent, but it's not atypical either. I'll agree, under the absolute ideal of situations your way is better. But those are incredibly rare, in my experience, and attempting to just throw up Blade Armor back in the day and run around shooting yielded pretty subpar results. In other words, I speak from experience, not theory. I just have a hard buying what you're selling, when my time with a Bat Sent has told me otherwise.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    GambleMike Hey, how's everyone's week going so far? Any big plans for thurs/fri?

Karissa Barrows: I would sure like to newDLC it up on Thurs/Fri if you're free. ;)

https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/304625932793159680
    Announcements today.

were doing it man were making it happen

Elendil wrote: »

https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/304625932793159680
    Announcements today.

were doing it man were making it happen

Yaaaay!

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Arc pistol is indeed actually good now. Rolled with it this morning on my fury and was dishing pain like some kind of pain dishing machine. Then again thats a fury anyways with any gun.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Also saw an asari adept on silver with a revanant and geth plasma shotgun, because adepts are totally a gun class they don't use any powers.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Glad I got a few mil saved up.

Preacher wrote: »
    Also saw an asari adept on silver with a revanant and geth plasma shotgun, because adepts are totally a gun class they don't use any powers.

Eh, it's Silver. Three of the team members can be that Asari and it'll work out so long as the fourth actually has half an idea of what they're doing.

I always enjoyed watching the Asari Adept with the Widow I.

Final 2 DLC packs? Well now we've got our first official confirmation for MP DLC I suppose :)

steam_sig.png

I swear to god every time I've played as of late its been none stop reapers. It doesn't help that hosts keep leaving so I have to random into another game which is shockingly FUCKING REAPERS JESUS I HATE REAPERS SO MUCH!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I love sticking the Indra on classes when I can't decide what weapon would be a good fit for them. The Indra is just a great versatile lil' thing.

i don't see what's wrong with my asari vanguard with a javelin

it's easy to find the points to max stasis if you just skip charge

I can't stand scopes anymore, I don't know they screw with me too much, I hardly even zoom aim when I play.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    I swear to god every time I've played as of late its been none stop reapers. It doesn't help that hosts keep leaving so I have to random into another game which is shockingly FUCKING REAPERS JESUS I HATE REAPERS SO MUCH!
    reapers are the easy faction, yo