As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Old VIDEO GAME RPG thread is dead. Long live the new VIDEO GAME RPG thread!

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Headin' back to Twoson, you guys. Anyone need a ride?

runawayfivebus_zpsd0153bca.png

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Also shin megami tensei: strange journey and devil survivor 1 and 2!

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So Persona 4: Golden is amazing

I had to turn it down to Easy from Normal because I...kinda made a grievous error on something the game wasn't very clear about

But the game has a pretty cool skip feature that let me get through that hours-long intro sequence in about 40 minutes, which was nice!

• Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    I love RPGs. I have a big backlog of them, too. Need to get on that.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Yukira wrote: »
    Kingdom Hearts 358/2 wasn't too bad.

Bit dodgy on the camera now and then and some of the flying segments were a pain.

I keep hearing talk about the new handheld Kingdom Hearts games, and all

and I just wonder when the fuck an actual console version will come out

I don't care about handhelds, Sony. Just make Kingdom Hearts 3 already.

it's been 8 god damned years, and you haven't even announced when you're going to fucking start it

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I want to talk about RPG's again of the video game persuasion.

I just got a 3DS XL so I've got a new world of RPG's to play, especially since I missed out on most of the DS one.

Lunar: Dragon Song got bashed on metacritic...is it that bad? Would someone who love the tedium of JRPG's like it? These are the important questions.

@Raijin Quickfoot *huff huff puff* I know I'm late but I got here as fast as I could. I can only hope I'm in time to stop you from making a terrible decision.

Trust metacritic on this one. Lunar DS is terrible. TER-RI-BLE. They managed to suck any charm normally associated with the Lunar series out, while simultaneously creating one of the most artificially padded, boring, JRPG grind-fests imaginable.

When you win a fight, ANY FIGHT, you actually have to choose whether you want to be rewarded in XP or in money/items. Like, you HAVE TO CHOOSE. Which means you pretty much have to fight as much as possible just to level up AND to earn money and shit to upgrade your equipment and buy items. It's awful. It's awfulness is compounded by the fact that the battles are pretty much the most boring and basic JRPG turn-based shit imaginable.

If memory serves, you don't even get to choose which enemy you're attacking. You just choose to attack or to use a spell, and the game decides which enemy you actually go for, which means that you often wind up wasting spells or skills on lower-priority enemies. It's BAD.

That said, many of the early DS RPGs were also pretty bad. I was also duped by Children of Mana, which was dumb and boring.

I can recommend a few not bad ones:

Contact - a really off-beat RPG from Atlus, it's quirky, funny, and wholly entertaining. The combat is all real-time, no random encounters. It's not exactly an "action RPG" though, because you pretty much just hit the "attack" button once, and then you trade blows with the enemies till they're dead. It doesn't sound like much, but the game itself is really fun.

The Castlevania series - Not really strict RPGs, but if you're into the Metroid-vania style of Castlevania games, the DS's selection is wholly worthwhile. Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia. All good games.

The World Ends With You - you've probably seen mention of this one before. The combat system is really unique, and requires some deftness with the stylus, as well as some ability to split your attention to the top screen, where your partner will be battling separately, and is controlled via the D-pad. It sounds overwhelming at first (and IS sorta overwhelming till you get the hang of it), but you can get by mostly without paying TOO much attention to your partner. But it's a cool RPG with an interesting (if very Japanese) style and story. It's also got some really neat features like the ability to, at any time, change the difficulty of the battles in order to either make them a cakewalk so you can get on with the story, or to make them more challenging in order to get better or rare items.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Yeah, that's the title. I know. But if you're into the Kingdom Hearts world as "a thing" and not just as a Disney surrogate, then this one might be worth checking out. But please take that italicized point to heart. It's a Kingdom Hearts-ass Kingdom Hearts game.

Lunar Knights - An action RPG with two characters, a day/night cycle that affects you and the enemies you fight, as well as the items that drop, and a pretty cool style, along with many upgradable weapons that will provide you with some grind-time in order to acquire them all, if that's your thing (totally not necessary, though). Definitely worth a shot if you enjoy action-RPGs.

Chrono Trigger - Well, duh. If you don't own it already, or just want to play it on your shiny new DS, get it.

Final Fantasy III and IV remakes - Classics, remade with new visuals. If you liked 'em before, you'll like 'em again

Radiant Historia - Time-travelling fantasy RPG with a neat branching story mechanic and a cool battle system that makes fights more than just autopilot.

Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light - Old school style FF game with a job system based on upgradable hats. I mean, come ON.

That's what I got for now.

Vargas Prime on
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Someone please stop me from buying a 3DS just for Fire Emblem

no

buy a 3ds for fire emblem

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    also i totally forgot Radiant Historia existed and now i wanna play it

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular

I am waiting till I get my taxes done and get my rebate. Hopefully the game doesn't become hard to get by then

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Ni No Kuni is a pretty rad game.

Just... thought you should know. It has a fair amount of radical there.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I definitely need to pick up Ni No Kuni.

What about the Golden Sun game on DS?

Raijin I just gave you a list of like a dozen games and you're sittin' there asking about Golden Sun.

(I've heard it's pretty good, but I haven't played it)

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Many of those games I've played already. I'm just checking shit out!!

HOLY SHIT! Radiant Historia is fucking expensive!

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Right now I'm playing 3 RPGs:

Eschalon: Book 1 is a badass newish old-school style RPG with an isometric view and some hardcore difficulty. You really have to explore and take your time if you want to survive.

Nethergate: Resurrection is another old-school style RPG with an isometric view, though it's a bit older. Developed by one man, the game is massive and has tons of stats and shit and you can play as either the Romans or the Celts and see the story from two different viewpoints.

Morrowind really doesn't need an introduction seeing as how it's the third game in the massively popular Elder Scrolls series. I will say that I've been playing with the Tamriel Rebuilt mod and it's fucking amazing how much content these guys have managed to create. Sure, it's taken them 11 years to only get less than halfway finished with mainland Morrowind but it pretty much doubles the landmass available to explore so I'm not complaining.

JtgVX0H.png
    Many of those games I've played already. I'm just checking shit out!!

Oh. When you said in the OP that you had just gotten a 3DS and had missed out on the DS selection of RPGs, I took you at face value

I guess I know better now, Mr Raijin Liarpants

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Radiant Historia is really awesome. The DS golden sun is also good, but not as good as The Lost Age.

And yeah. Lost Odyssey is a great game.

Someday I may finish up Blue Dragon, but with my backlog... Hah!

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    xenoblade is good

good luck finding a copy

Oddly enough my local Gamestop still has 3 new copies sitting on the shelves

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I really should look into the history of the development of FF8. Something must have been rushed or weird about that development. I just don't understand how such a bad game managed to squeeze in between what are arguably the best games in the franchise.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Nethergate: Resurrection is another old-school style RPG with an isometric view, though it's a bit older. Developed by one man, the game is massive and has tons of stats and shit and you can play as either the Romans or the Celts and see the story from two different viewpoints.

I love all of his other games, I really need to check out Nethergate.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    xenoblade is good

good luck finding a copy

Oddly enough my local Gamestop still has 3 new copies sitting on the shelves

According to Amazon.com prices, you need to buy them and resell them.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    My 3ds I bought literally just for fire emblem got here today. Gonna go pick up fire emblem later

(I will get pokemon x/y and luigi's mansion once they come out but fire emblem is the only 3ds game that's out right now that I want)

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Ugh The World Ends With You is so rad I loved it a lot and played it until my DS broke.

I also love the video game RPG Dragon Age 2, which can be a controversial opinion but it is fun.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Dragon Age 2 was a lot of fun and I preferred the combat to the first game.

Plus the sassy options were great and the voice actors for Hawke really nailed it.

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    also i totally forgot Radiant Historia existed and now i wanna play it

It's so good. Tonally, it reminds me a lot of the glory days of Final Fantasy VI, but it plays like something totally new. They did a reprint of it I think, which is when I got my copy for a reasonable price. Can't say what they're at these days though.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    lostwords wrote: »

I am waiting till I get my taxes done and get my rebate. Hopefully the game doesn't become hard to get by then

It will never be hard to get, you can just download it

6F32U1X.png
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    I really didn't have designs on getting a 3DS any time soon, but with Fire Emblem and soon Etrian Odyssey 4, I just can't not get one.

How much is healthy semen going for these days?

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Radiant Historia is real good, it's true

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Now I really want to play Fire Emblem.

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    HOLY SHIT! Radiant Historia is fucking expensive!

It's been reprinted twice I think, but of course it's Atlus so each run was only like twenty copies.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    The 3DS became much more attractive to me once I found out about Nyko's battery for it.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    @stilts this is becoming a radiant historia thread

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    if you like secret of mana style games, summon night 3 on the ds is the best I've played on the system.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    Finally a video game thread for me

Someone buy me Radiant Historia

• TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I got Suikoden off of EBay for $150.

Now hunting around for Suikoden 2.

• TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    Suikoden and suikoden 2 taken as one game is probably my favorite rpg.

I sold my copies of Suikoden and Suikoden 2 back in the day when I sold all my classic gaming stuff. Made an absolute fucking mint.

• TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I've only seen Suikoden 2 for $250 at the least. It's gonna kill my bank account but I must have it!