As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2013 Pax Parties!

• MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Hey everyone,
    I'm Jacob and I personally got tired of all the big name parties out there. Where are all the parties for us indie lovers? Well I'm hosting Indies Need Booze at The Asgard in Cambridge from 6pm to 11pm. Here's a list of the few Boston locals who will be there and other random indies.

Ichiro Lambe from Dejobaan Games
    Caleb Garner from Part 12 Studios
    Rami Ismali from Vlambeer
    Jamie Gotch from Subatomic Studios
    Sam Adonis of Indie Game Magazine
    Plus many more

Now if your coming to play there newest games don't bother. This party is to have a chance to chat with indie developers and share a drink. Event is free for people who are 21+ and plenty of food to buy at the venue as well.

You can RSVP for the party at indiesneedbooze.eventbrite.com and you can tweet to the party @indiesneedbooze.

Can't wait to see you all there!!

Only 10 spots left according to the eventbrite page?

zerzhul on
    PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • gerafingerafin Registered User regular
    Hey everyone,
    I'm Jacob and I personally got tired of all the big name parties out there. Where are all the parties for us indie lovers? Well I'm hosting Indies Need Booze at The Asgard in Cambridge from 6pm to 11pm. Here's a list of the few Boston locals who will be there and other random indies.

Ichiro Lambe from Dejobaan Games
    Caleb Garner from Part 12 Studios
    Rami Ismali from Vlambeer
    Jamie Gotch from Subatomic Studios
    Sam Adonis of Indie Game Magazine
    Plus many more

Now if your coming to play there newest games don't bother. This party is to have a chance to chat with indie developers and share a drink. Event is free for people who are 21+ and plenty of food to buy at the venue as well.

You can RSVP for the party at indiesneedbooze.eventbrite.com and you can tweet to the party @indiesneedbooze.

Can't wait to see you all there!!

Haha, sounds awesome! See you there!

• KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Wow this thread is surprisingly blank. Where are all the parties?! :( It's just over a month until PAX, we should have more up here!

Ln5yLL7.png
  • JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    I am sure within the next week or so we will be getting more details. Curse already said they are doing one, it will be just as good as last year!

• vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Rock Band's twitter account told me they will be hosting a party at the Brattle Theatre (Harvard Sq.) in Cambridge on 3/21.

This will conflict with my desire to do Destroy Boston...

I think they did something simIlar last year. Did they not?

• DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    Seems like I found this thread just in time. This will be my first PAX and I am starting to get very excited about it. One question for those of you who have been there before though, if you please. I do fall on the introverted side of the geek-meter, although once I start conversing about something that interests me, I'm fine. Considering the nature of PAX and the likelihood of having some common ground with folks, how friendly/open/welcoming should I expect to find things?

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• MarkJWMarkJW Registered User regular
    Delaney wrote: »
    Seems like I found this thread just in time. This will be my first PAX and I am starting to get very excited about it. One question for those of you who have been there before though, if you please. I do fall on the introverted side of the geek-meter, although once I start conversing about something that interests me, I'm fine. Considering the nature of PAX and the likelihood of having some common ground with folks, how friendly/open/welcoming should I expect to find things?
    Wrong thread duder, try this one:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/166575/pax-east-2013-information-and-faq-read-this-first-then-ask-all-questions-here#latest

Unless you specifically meant how nice are people at parties.

PAX Prime 2013 Checklist   ➤   ✔ Enforcer Badge   ✔ Hotel   ✔ Flight

ArcheAge News
    ArcheAge Forums
  • DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    MarkJW wrote: »
    Delaney wrote: »
    Wrong thread duder, try this one:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/166575/pax-east-2013-information-and-faq-read-this-first-then-ask-all-questions-here#latest

Unless you specifically meant how nice are people at parties.

I'm working my way through that one and anything else that seems applicable, thanks. But in this instance, yes, I did mean specifically at parties. :)

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

Parties are great! I have a few friends I go with and even with them being somewhat introverted we still managed to meet some new folks. It also helps when it's open bar!

• miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised at the shockingly low amount of parties for this year so far. Only one I've got a ticket for is "MADE IN MA" which is only thanks to whoever posted the free PAXMA coupon code. Hopefully I'll be allowed in due to the whole exhibitors and developers only thing. I will be taking information and pictures for my schools magazine however so I hope that counts for something. Either way where are all the (under 21) parties at!?

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • DangeresquetooDangeresquetoo Registered User regular
    3/21- As a public service announcement I figured I would let you out of town Drum and Bassheads know that at the Middle East in Cambridge (15-20 dollar cab from most downtown hotels) Hospital Records artists High Contrast, Fred V & Grafix, and Camo & Krooked will be preforming. Tickets are 25 American.

Well we know curse is doing it again the only question is when and how do we get in? I wish world of tanks was doing another shindig they had a great venue last year.

• DeathJest3rDeathJest3r Registered User regular
    http://nepsanshee.eventbrite.com/#

I did not go to the Sanshee party last PAX but they seem to be holding another one for 2013. Did anyone check it out last year?

• CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I'll add some advice on parties to new PAX-goers.

Advice 1: The Pre-PAX Pokecrawl is one of the best parties I have ever been to. Go to it if you can get a spot.

Advice 2: Most parties are kept on the down-low because they cost a lot of money to put on. When you have an open bar and hundreds of people, your costs can grow into the tens of thousands of dollars. To combat this, and to make sure fans get in, a lot of booths will have parties that they invite people to throughout the day. The best way to see if there is a party is to ask the people working the booth. If there is, chat with them, admire their game, and ask to be invited.

Storytime: At PAX East 2010, Kotaku held a party at the Rattlesnake in downtown Boston. A bunch of us got in line about 45 minutes before it began, and the line swelled after that. Once we made it in, there was good food and good drink, but the bar offered EVERYTHING, not just the bottom-shelf liquor and draft brews. A bunch of us got pitchers of Rogue Dead Guy, martinis, and scotch. One booth next to us was just downing double-shots of Johnny Walker Black. The rumor (and this is just a rumor) is that Matt Fahey went up to the bar and asked how it was going - they had a limit of $10,000 on the open bar that night. The bartender calmly said that they had sold $18,000 worth of drinks ... in the first hour. Matt Fahey's face drained of color and he immediately ordered the bar to switch to cash-only, rather than open. Fortunately, we had just refilled our pitchers, so we were okay, but that is exactly why you want to be careful with unlimited-entry open bars.

Advice 3: Only plan on seeing one to two parties a night. I max out at two parties per night, most times because one will go from 6:00pm - 10:00pm, and the other will go from 10:00pm to 2:00am. Sometimes I only go to one, like the Wargaming party last year. That one was large enough and awesome enough (really wanted to see Pete Tong) that I just stayed all night.

Advice 4: The PAX events are arguably more fun than parties, just with less booze. Many times after parties I would come back to the BCEC to play drunk Mario Kart, drunk tabletop gaming, or just stay at the BCEC for concerts and post-concert reveling. I personally love going to parties, but I try to keep myself balanced between the PAX events themselves, and the revelry outside of the BCEC.

Source: Been going to industry parties since E3 2006. Craziest party? Drinking on top of the CCP booth at E3 2006, then crashing a Sony Online party (or some other MMO party) in downtown Hollywood with drunk vikings and doing shots in a circle. BUT, the absolute best parties are the ones with your friends. I fully plan on bringing my Cards Against Humanity pack and just playing massive games of it down in the tabletop area. It's all about balance and finding what makes you happy.

e2TtnRd.png
    Some solid advice there. Although in years past we still had more party info this close to Pax which is a bit worrysome for me. Pax is much more than the parties. Last year was the first year I really decided to "go for it" and my friends and I had an absolute blast. I was hoping to be able to duplicate it this year.

• CatalepticalCataleptical New JerseyRegistered User regular
    http://nepsanshee.eventbrite.com/#

I did not go to the Sanshee party last PAX but they seem to be holding another one for 2013. Did anyone check it out last year?

Sanshee's party was very cool. It was held at a very chill bar near Marriott Long Wharf. It's a little disappointing that they're charging this year, but I'm just assuming that they're going to throw something really fun now that people are paying. Last year, if you wore one of their shirts to the bar, you got 2 drink tickets. We ended up having a blast, even if we did pay for some drinks that night. The guys and girls at Sanshee are really nice, too.

379by4cj0i1l.png
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    3/21- As a public service announcement I figured I would let you out of town Drum and Bassheads know that at the Middle East in Cambridge (15-20 dollar cab from most downtown hotels) Hospital Records artists High Contrast, Fred V & Grafix, and Camo & Krooked will be preforming. Tickets are 25 American.

Also worth noting - this event is 18+ only.

zerzhul on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Cabadrin wrote: »

Advice 1: The Pre-PAX Pokecrawl is one of the best parties I have ever been to. Go to it if you can get a spot.

Advice 2: Most parties are kept on the down-low because they cost a lot of money to put on. When you have an open bar and hundreds of people, your costs can grow into the tens of thousands of dollars. To combat this, and to make sure fans get in, a lot of booths will have parties that they invite people to throughout the day. The best way to see if there is a party is to ask the people working the booth. If there is, chat with them, admire their game, and ask to be invited.

Storytime: At PAX East 2010, Kotaku held a party at the Rattlesnake in downtown Boston. A bunch of us got in line about 45 minutes before it began, and the line swelled after that. Once we made it in, there was good food and good drink, but the bar offered EVERYTHING, not just the bottom-shelf liquor and draft brews. A bunch of us got pitchers of Rogue Dead Guy, martinis, and scotch. One booth next to us was just downing double-shots of Johnny Walker Black. The rumor (and this is just a rumor) is that Matt Fahey went up to the bar and asked how it was going - they had a limit of $10,000 on the open bar that night. The bartender calmly said that they had sold $18,000 worth of drinks ... in the first hour. Matt Fahey's face drained of color and he immediately ordered the bar to switch to cash-only, rather than open. Fortunately, we had just refilled our pitchers, so we were okay, but that is exactly why you want to be careful with unlimited-entry open bars.

Advice 3: Only plan on seeing one to two parties a night. I max out at two parties per night, most times because one will go from 6:00pm - 10:00pm, and the other will go from 10:00pm to 2:00am. Sometimes I only go to one, like the Wargaming party last year. That one was large enough and awesome enough (really wanted to see Pete Tong) that I just stayed all night.

Advice 4: The PAX events are arguably more fun than parties, just with less booze. Many times after parties I would come back to the BCEC to play drunk Mario Kart, drunk tabletop gaming, or just stay at the BCEC for concerts and post-concert reveling. I personally love going to parties, but I try to keep myself balanced between the PAX events themselves, and the revelry outside of the BCEC.

Source: Been going to industry parties since E3 2006. Craziest party? Drinking on top of the CCP booth at E3 2006, then crashing a Sony Online party (or some other MMO party) in downtown Hollywood with drunk vikings and doing shots in a circle. BUT, the absolute best parties are the ones with your friends. I fully plan on bringing my Cards Against Humanity pack and just playing massive games of it down in the tabletop area. It's all about balance and finding what makes you happy.

We should hang out, you have lived my pax dream.

Re-reading the Curse post, looks like all hope is not lost. They said they were not posting info up until March so we will have to see where we end up in the next couple weeks.

• angrymonkeyfightangrymonkeyfight Captain Awesome Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I just went onto Eventbrite and it looks like there are few different Bar Crawls happening on Thursday March 21st. The Pokecrawl is fun, but takes a lot of dedication to drink that long. I'll probably register for a different one that is more low key as long as it is free.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I only see one in there, it's the one you posted about earlier in the thread.

takes a lot of dedication to drink that long.

I've been training for many years for just such an occasion!

• CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    We should hang out, you have lived my pax dream.

Message me close to PAX :) I'll be with two people (one friend that came last year, and a newbie) so I plan on breaking the newbie's brain with non-stop action and partying. He's a professional bartender so I'm going to lean on him to flesh out my drinking parameters

e2TtnRd.png
    We should all meet up at a party and get weird!

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Im down for that as well, im ready to drink. Had a blast last year at the Pokecrawl.

• IVblueIVblue Registered User new member
    This is my 2nd pax, but i'm a newb to pax parties. Looking to see if theres any cool ppl i can tag along with to some parties.

Updated the OP again. Hey, at least we have a Saturday party up! ;)

Ln5yLL7.png
    Cabadrin wrote: »

Yup, drunken tabletop ftw. Absolutely love Cards Against Humanity. Guaranteed you will see me one night. I'll be the one giggling uncontrollably over something really stupid. :)

Favorite party of mine? As much as I enjoyed the BioShock parties, the Rift party at Blue two years ago was amazing. Top-shelf open bar + Krissta = fun. 189809_1750211354006_7056605_n.jpg

Ln5yLL7.png
    When was the Bioshock party?! That is a great pic btw

• The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    Just got confirmation from Sanshee that their party is 21+ again. How was it last year?

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • scottyb1218scottyb1218 BostonRegistered User regular
    The Pre-PAX Rock Band Party tickets are now on sale. March 21st, $20, starts at 8pm. More details here: http://brattlefilm.org/2013/03/21/rock-band-night-3/

sig.php?id=222
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    I want to Destroy Boston AND Rock out..

• PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    The Pre-PAX Rock Band Party tickets are now on sale. March 21st, $20, starts at 8pm. More details here: http://brattlefilm.org/2013/03/21/rock-band-night-3/

Thanks for this announcement, I've just bought my tickets :D

pax%20sig.png
    JayDfromMA wrote: »
    When was the Bioshock party?! That is a great pic btw
    Hah! Thanks! ;) The BioShock party was the Saturday of PAX. They even had a raffle, where I scored an awesome Columbia Freight messenger bag. Always a fun time. :)

Ln5yLL7.png
    Thanks! Updated the OP. :)

Ln5yLL7.png
    Definitely regret missing that! Sat I went to curse. Had fun, hoping to go again this year!

• The_Deadly_RhythmThe_Deadly_Rhythm Registered User new member
    We failed with finding parties last year, but we are ready to cut loose this PAX. Excited to hopefully booze it up with fellow gamers this year!

JayDfromMA wrote: »
    Definitely regret missing that! Sat I went to curse. Had fun, hoping to go again this year!

Technically it was invite only, so if they have another one this year, it will probably be the same. And it's always been at MJ O'Connors. (They had a party the year before that, too!)

Ln5yLL7.png
  • mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    Damn Rock Band Night is already sold out. I was much looking forward to it.

This discussion has been closed.