As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Back to the boring old thread title of [Weight Loss & Fitness]

• TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    Walt wrote: »

It's like that part of Blink where Gladwell talks about the food industry scheming find and meet the root flavors or styles of spaghetti sauce. I can't decide if that type of corporate-scale food manipulation is evil or just good business.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    :bz well
    first day in gym in a month
    terribly fat and weak as expected

poo
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Halibut wrote: »
    godmode wrote: »
    Halibut wrote: »
    Fuck planks. Seriously, it's the only exercise that causes me to just yell out a string of expletives and scare all my animals.

I guess you haven't done squat pulses

Or "Drive The Race Car"

Or "SCRUB"

I don't know what any of those things are. I do know that I don't want no scrubs.

I hate planks because I'm long and all my weight is in the middle and my cat has a death wish.

Normal squats are where you...well...squat down then come back up. Squat pulses are where you stay squatting, then lift a little, then return to a deep squat, kind of like you're hopping, but never leaving the squat position and not lifting off the floor

The last two were boot camp "exercises": Driving the race car is achieved by sitting into a squat, knees at 90 degrees, back flat against a wall. You're given a circular plate weight and you hold it in front of you, arms straight, like you're holding a steering wheel. You don't put the weight down until you're told to.
    Scrubbing is easily the worst, though. You need a completely flat floor, a towel ("hand" or "dish" size), and you hold one end of the towel in each hand. Then you lean forward and place your hands on the floor, so you're pressing the towel down, and you propel yourself around with your legs, as fast as possible. To make it worse, you can put on three layers of clothes including sweats and waterproof coat and pants, and go in the shower room, and turn on all of the hot water faucets, and go in endless circles around the outside walls until you're told to stop.

On the plus side, you will lose about 20 pounds (at least!) in three months after performing these exercises regularly.

godmode on
    In unrelated news, man I really like Syntha-6 Vanilla Ice Cream protein powder. That stuff is pretty delicious. Plus since I've been doing protein shakes with breakfast, I haven't been hungry again before lunch, nor have I been feeling as sore for as long following workouts.

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I like that wall sit variation

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    In unrelated news, man I really like Syntha-6 Vanilla Ice Cream protein powder. That stuff is pretty delicious. Plus since I've been doing protein shakes with breakfast, I haven't been hungry again before lunch, nor have I been feeling as sore for as long following workouts.

I do feel like it recommends a lot of powder though. I'm hoping it'll be a little better once we have the blender cups. I'm not a huge fan of all the chunks of powder in my glass.

Which is funny, because according to their math we're using about twice the recommended amount of milk per shake: I've been putting one rounded scoop of protein into a pint glass and then filling to the top with milk, which is about 8 oz or so. The container recommends 4-5.

I like that wall sit variation

It was awful. I was subject to that particular exercise because I sat down at the end of my watch shift that morning. Then the scrubbing came after that. And some planks. And some foot locker exercises. And this was while everyone else was sent to chow, so there wasn't even the reprieve of the mandatory meal time.

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Walt wrote: »

It's like that part of Blink where Gladwell talks about the food industry scheming find and meet the root flavors or styles of spaghetti sauce. I can't decide if that type of corporate-scale food manipulation is evil or just good business.
    I think it's good, evil business.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »

I do feel like it recommends a lot of powder though. I'm hoping it'll be a little better once we have the blender cups. I'm not a huge fan of all the chunks of powder in my glass.

You talking about a shaker with a metal whisk ball?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    edited February 2013
    Yeeeeeeah. Can't wait to start shakin my shakes

godmode on
    Yeeeeeeah. Can't wait to start shakin my shakes

He really can't wait.

He's been talking about this damn thing all week.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ugggghh

pulse squats.

fuck pulse squats.

fuck pulse squats while holding onto dumbbells.

also, that wall sit variation is fucking torture. even holding only a 5kg plate.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I wish that picture of a dorito wasn't so appealing.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That is a phenomenal article.

It is a good read

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    oh god sweet potato mash is so good

• HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    Is there any reason not to do an ab/core workout on consecutive days?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Boredom

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I have been running on a treadmill for half an hour a night for the last month or so, followed by as many pushups and crunches that I can do

The gym in my apartment complex has the treadmills, an elliptical, a bench and a bunch of dumbbells

My lower back hurts all the time since I started this

The goal is to lose fat (5'8", 190) and get big

Give me what you've got, thread

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    never not do sit ups

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I've been letting myself eat like garbage for a few days because of a volley of midterms and papers, but I'm back on the fitness and weight loss bandwagon again starting this weekend.

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    More like "Slowkar Shad-slow-storm"
    not really his fault for not reading posts from a shitty forumer

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You can also go pretty heavy on abs. A lot of people use fairly light weight.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Every time I put on my gym clothes I have to take a shit.

It's like Pavlov's butt hole.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    For me it usually hits halfway through a workout or right after

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if it's cause my diet change or my new medicine (which has a noted side effect of hunger loss) but I feel like I'm almost never hungry now. I actually have to push myself to eat.

• HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    Decided to skip the ab workout because I realized I could actually run in the setting sunlight if I booked it out the door right then. It was the first evening this year that I didn't need my headlamp.

I've been letting myself eat like garbage for a few days because of a volley of midterms and papers, but I'm back on the fitness and weight loss bandwagon again starting this weekend.

That's pretty understandable. It is really difficult to eat well during exams and major papers.

Especially since I would usually be pulling all nighters to finish all major assignments.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so, skipped the gym AND dinner last night because I was way too exhausted to trust myself to drive to the gym, let alone the drive back home after a workout.

Instead, I went and laid down in bed, just to rest a bit. and then woke up this morning, about 12 hours later.

Oops.

That's pretty understandable. It is really difficult to eat well during exams and major papers.

Especially since I would usually be pulling all nighters to finish all major assignments.

Yeah, a couple times this week I left my house at about 8am and got back after midnight. Granted, this only excuses the fact that I couldn't prepare all my food for myself, it doesn't really explain why I ate a bunch of fast food and candy. Still though, not gonna worry about it much, got to the gym today, gonna go for a run tomorrow and start tracking my food again.

• Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Every time I put on my gym clothes I have to take a shit.

It's like Pavlov's butt hole.

This is me and trying to leave to cycle to work. All togged up in cycling gear then I have to strip it all off to poo and then all back on again. And sometimes it's a sneaky bumhole and I have to repeat the whole process.

It's a wonder I'm not late to work more often really.

But I'm not cycling 16 miles needing to go, that's rubbish.

Yeah, a couple times this week I left my house at about 8am and got back after midnight. Granted, this only excuses the fact that I couldn't prepare all my food for myself, it doesn't really explain why I ate a bunch of fast food and candy. Still though, not gonna worry about it much, got to the gym today, gonna go for a run tomorrow and start tracking my food again.

I lived in the dorms all through undergrad and graduate school so there wasn't really a kitchen at my disposal. The worst is that I had some other friends in a similar state on campus and we would walk to 7-11 around midnight and grab a bunch of snacks and energy drinks.

It was...not the best diet.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's cause my diet change or my new medicine (which has a noted side effect of hunger loss) but I feel like I'm almost never hungry now. I actually have to push myself to eat.

I need to go back on aderall, that shit wipes out my appetite

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig

I lived in the dorms all through undergrad and graduate school so there wasn't really a kitchen at my disposal. The worst is that I had some other friends in a similar state on campus and we would walk to 7-11 around midnight and grab a bunch of snacks and energy drinks.

It was...not the best diet.

At this point I think I would just outright refuse to live anywhere that didn't have a kitchen.

Also, I just bought some liquid chalk on amazon (this stuff) to use at the gym and now amazon thinks I am a pole dancer.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    so, skipped the gym AND dinner last night because I was way too exhausted to trust myself to drive to the gym, let alone the drive back home after a workout.

Instead, I went and laid down in bed, just to rest a bit. and then woke up this morning, about 12 hours later.

Oops.

i would kill a babby for 12 hrs of sleep

poo
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    At this point I think I would just outright refuse to live anywhere that didn't have a kitchen.

Also, I just bought some liquid chalk on amazon (this stuff) to use at the gym and now amazon thinks I am a pole dancer.

Haha, I used to use pole dancing grip powder because the shineyland gym hated me and hated chalk. As I recall, it was really quite effective and was an interesting talking point.

Snowboarding holiday ended today - I have boarded hard on 28 of the past 31 days. In terms of technical ability, I have improved by a crazy amount. Went from barely getting down a hill to bombing the cliffs, flying through trees, jumps, grabs, boxes, rails. I don't think I've ever improved so quickly at anything in my life (although not surprising, considering we were averaging about 5-6 hours a day on the slopes). Today was the final day of riding so we went from first chair at 8.30am to chair close at 3.30pm.

The final damage count was a pulled sartorius, a sprained shoulder and a mild concussion (all done on different days). I've also done a dozen or so sessions at the hotel gym and have nearly got my pistol squats looking passable.

Shuttle leaves at 10am tomorrow morning - onwards to London!

Man I was sore and beat up from two days of snowboarding. I couldn't imagine 28.

This discussion has been closed.