As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2013 BYOC Information

• Options
    sidran32sidran32 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    sidran32 wrote: »
    Personally, I plan on playing a lot of Guild Wars 2, perhaps some Planetside 2, and potentially Crysis 2 and Trine 2 (which I'm working on, lately). Though I have other games too (for instance, Call of Duty: MW1-3).

... Apparently I'm playing a lot of "2" games right now...

Good luck with those first two (pun not intended). At last Prime the network in the PC area was setup such that any mutliplayer games had to be played on LAN servers, so no MMOs. I imagine that will be the same at East, but @Vapok would know for sure.

That's good to know. I'll make sure to adjust my expectations accordingly. :)

That said, it has been my experience that MMORPGs, if managed properly, don't necessarily use lots of bandwidth. I haven't tracked this with GW2, however, but we'll see.

Anyways, this might give me reason to bone up on some TF2. Also, as I have previously been a bit of a Nexuiz fan when I was experimenting around with Linux, how is the latest incarnation? And does it show up much in LAN gaming these days? I believe that I recall it was featured at last year's PAX East. That's one that I've always enjoyed picking up and playing.

fss_overall.png
  • Options
    mpizzimpizzi Registered User regular
    I have Borderlands 2, Dead Island, Far Cry 3, TF2, HL2, Worms Reloaded installed right now... See who is playing what.

• Options
    perfectbebopperfectbebop Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if BYOC passes are transferable? I bought mine at the same time as my PAX pass, but my buddies were not as on it as I was, and are now SOL. Guessing no announcement has been made for additional passes etc

• Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if BYOC passes are transferable? I bought mine at the same time as my PAX pass, but my buddies were not as on it as I was, and are now SOL. Guessing no announcement has been made for additional passes etc

Like the PAX Badges themselves, BYOC Badges are not transferable. Obviously, there isn't anything stopping you from handing your badge to someone else, however, if there is a dispute or badge missing, proof of purchase, along with photo identification will be required. As for making additional passes available, it's my understanding that BYOC is sold out. Anything further, you'll need to ask the pax_questions@penny-arcade.com email address.

Hope this answers your question.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    Vapok wrote: »

Like the PAX Badges themselves, BYOC Badges are not transferable. Obviously, there isn't anything stopping you from handing your badge to someone else, however, if there is a dispute or badge missing, proof of purchase, along with photo identification will be required. As for making additional passes available, it's my understanding that BYOC is sold out. Anything further, you'll need to ask the pax_questions@penny-arcade.com email address.

Hope this answers your question.

It does, thank you much! see you there.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    One additional note. The badges are not transferable in that once you register, you are the registrant forever. The physical badges *themselves* do not have any information that ties them directly to you once you receive them.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    was told I did something wrong. Mods if you can just remove this post that'd be great

perfectbebop on
  • Options
    BarkBark Registered User regular
    Are we going to have a screen to watch main theater events like the keynote and omegathon final? Issues not withstanding, I thought it was really cool last year.

sl1ao1t19fl8.png
  • Options
    Bark wrote: »
    Are we going to have a screen to watch main theater events like the keynote and omegathon final? Issues not withstanding, I thought it was really cool last year.

That is currently the plan. =)

Vapok
  • Options
    s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Hey there everybody

I know I haven't really been on the Forums for well… quite some time. But I want that all to change!
    I am going to be the new BYOC Contest Coordinator!
    Some things about me:

I used to Manage Line Entertainment (you might have met me like this)
    Lei_East.jpg
    I used to attend BYOC back in the day.
    I like things like TF2, Minecraft, and long walks on the beach.

I have some things planned for all you BYOC people to enjoy, so I hope we will have a good time this PAX East.

Now for other news!!

Group Seating is officially LIVE!
    if your party is of 6 or more you can put in your request to:
    pax_pc at penny-arcade dot com

For anything else, feel free to email me whatever you want at:
    S7arbuck at gmail dot com

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Folks, As @S7arbuck has said, he's the new BYOC Contest Coordinator!! He's filling in some pretty large BigRed shoes, but it's going to be awesome what he has planned.

ON THAT NOTE: As he said, Group Seating is live... We'll be posting the seating image shortly. Stay tuned for further updates!

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • Options
    Updated OP Thread Introducing @S7arbuck and posting Group Seating Information

Vapok
  • Options
    One more Update. The OP has been updated further for Group Seating, and the Table Layout has been posted!

Vapok
  • Options
    Tichinde925Tichinde925 Registered User regular
    Where is the catwalk//skywalk in reference to the group seating picture?

byoc-20130130.png

Skywalk is above to the left:

PaxEast2012_Day1_7.png

• Options
    taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    Where is the catwalk//skywalk in reference to the group seating picture?

byoc-20130130.png

Skywalk is above to the left:
    PaxEast2012_Day1_7.png

This year we're going to be next door to where we were last year -- the skywalk will be on the other side of the room. "Above and to the left" is indeed the right answer, but not because of the reference pic that I spoilered. Instead of being between (and above) PC and Expo, the skywalk will be between PC and Tabletop.

Make sense?

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    GoogalashGoogalash Registered User regular

I can't speak to what screens may or may not be setup but I can say we will be streaming said content via twitch TV.

• Options
    Googalash wrote: »

I can't speak to what screens may or may not be setup but I can say we will be streaming said content via twitch TV.

There will most likely be a block on all streaming media in the LAN area. However, we do have plans to ensure that the Twitch.TV broadcasts are available in the PC room. Most likely on big screens and projectors.

Vapok
  • Options
    mpizzimpizzi Registered User regular
    Please do not have the BYOC next to that booth that was blasting music all night. I had my headphones and volume cranked and couldnt hear crap. IT WAS BOGUS id rather walk some distance than listen to that crap again.

• Options
    mpizzi wrote: »
    Please do not have the BYOC next to that booth that was blasting music all night. I had my headphones and volume cranked and couldnt hear crap. IT WAS BOGUS id rather walk some distance than listen to that crap again.

You couldn't have said it better. Yes, the expo side was a little bit loud.. OKAY.. a lot loud. We recognized that and have strategically ensured that we are not exposed to that type of loud, booming noise. I can assure you that the expo hall is not behind BYOC like last time. =)

Vapok
  • Options
    JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I remember last year there was discussion on the forums of tighter security at BYOC. Did anything happen?

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Options
    Jonoseel wrote: »
    I remember last year there was discussion on the forums of tighter security at BYOC. Did anything happen?

There was discussion of a possible "coat-check" type system for keeping valuables, but it wasn't feasible.

BYOC Security is as good as other large LAN's of it size. PAX BYOC Security Enforcers will ensure that no one gets into the BYOC without the proper badges. My team will also make sure that we have a record of the more expensive items that you bring into the room via our check-in/out system. We will also be a presence in the room/area to hopefully deter people from being dicks. (Don't be a dick.) That said, there's only so much we can do. At the end of the day, it's up to the attendee to make sure they feel as though their stuff is secured.

Sage advice from the past years: If you win a prize, swag, or gift, that is of value to you... Take care of it. Either keep it on your person or take it back to your hotel room. Also, don't leave personal items such as wallets out in the open on the table. We obviously hope that others won't take advantage of easy opportunities such as that, but unfortunately, even Level 1 Munchkin Monsters have Bad Stuff that happens.

=)

Vapok
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Yay BYOC Group Seating!

Tichinde925 on
  • Options
    Jonoseel wrote: »

There was discussion of a possible "coat-check" type system for keeping valuables, but it wasn't feasible.

BYOC Security is as good as other large LAN's of it size. PAX BYOC Security Enforcers will ensure that no one gets into the BYOC without the proper badges. My team will also make sure that we have a record of the more expensive items that you bring into the room via our check-in/out system. We will also be a presence in the room/area to hopefully deter people from being dicks. (Don't be a dick.) That said, there's only so much we can do. At the end of the day, it's up to the attendee to make sure they feel as though their stuff is secured.

Sage advice from the past years: If you win a prize, swag, or gift, that is of value to you... Take care of it. Either keep it on your person or take it back to your hotel room. Also, don't leave personal items such as wallets out in the open on the table. We obviously hope that others won't take advantage of easy opportunities such as that, but unfortunately, even Level 1 Munchkin Monsters have Bad Stuff that happens.

=)

I've been debating in my mind whether or not to do anything like install full-disk encryption on my PC before bringing it in. Of course it'll be off when not in use and password-protected anyway, but not having been to a LAN event before, and this being a multi-day thing as well, with a LOT of participants, would it be worth it? Of course I'll at least have full-disk backups at home, at least.

fss_overall.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    <double-post>

sidran32 on
    fss_overall.png
  • Options
    sidran32 wrote: »
    I've been debating in my mind whether or not to do anything like install full-disk encryption on my PC before bringing it in. Of course it'll be off when not in use and password-protected anyway, but not having been to a LAN event before, and this being a multi-day thing as well, with a LOT of participants, would it be worth it? Of course I'll at least have full-disk backups at home, at least.

I think it's important that you take whatever precautions you think you need to. However, that being said, the BYOC portion of this event is a secured area. Only other BYOC participants, authorized exhibitors, and event staff are allowed into the area. That's what I'm in charge of. So, while there are 100 million PAX attendees, only 350 of them will be in the BYOC area. :)

Personally, I've been to ... well I lost count... LAN events where I've brought my equipment, rig, and other things. Like anything, there's a mutual respect of others equipment by all those participating. I've never had an issue with my personal stuff being taken, and I do not do hard drive encryption, though now that the cats out of the bag guess I will! (HA!).

Seriously though, it's a LAN... probably not going to have an issue. But keep valuables, wallets, prizes... close at hand, and take them to your hotel room. That stuff unfortunately does grow legs. (It's not frequent, but mean people do suck.)

Last but note least: Observe Wheaton's Law

Vapok
  • Options
    Will the drop off point / entrance for early BYOC'ers be in the same location as last time (in the back past the parking lot) or will it be somewhere else?

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I strongly recomend you get zone alarm free or some equivalent for the weekend. It wont stop everyone, but it helps keep honest people honest.

My best recommendation is you back up your system, disable your regular user and create a temp user for the LAN. And for god sake, do not log into an account with admin rights while connected to the lan, unplug, login, do what you got to do, log out, sign in as temp user. Nothing says "SCREW ME OVER" quite so much as an open admin account on a public lan.

That having been said, have fun.

By The Way, do we need to bring cat5 cables ?

• Options
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    I strongly recomend you get zone alarm free or some equivalent for the weekend. It wont stop everyone, but it helps keep honest people honest.

My best recommendation is you back up your system, disable your regular user and create a temp user for the LAN. And for god sake, do not log into an account with admin rights while connected to the lan, unplug, login, do what you got to do, log out, sign in as temp user. Nothing says "SCREW ME OVER" quite so much as an open admin account on a public lan.

That having been said, have fun.

By The Way, do we need to bring cat5 cables ?

I don't understand why? Because of hacking? I have a firewall, antivirus, and uac enabled. My computer will be locked or off when I'm not around.

fss_overall.png
  • Options
    Yes, please make sure to bring cat5 cables. Depending on seat you may need 6 feet of cat5... You may need 25 feet.

Drop off location still TBD, but I would assume it'll be nearly the same. (Possibly different outside door, but same side)

Vapok
  • Options
    MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    On that note: where was the drop-off last year? I thought we had a separate entrance to lug our machines in, but security at BCEC screamed at my group to go through the main entrance, in the long-ass line, carrying rigs the size of a small British commuter car. Though we most likely misunderstood in the first place and tried to get in the wrong area...I blame lack of coffee.

Hopefully there's something arranged so BYOC people coming from the subway/on foot can get their rigs checked in easily. (Or make the instructions simpler for us thicker attendees. :) )

PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • Options
    Malfeis wrote: »
    On that note: where was the drop-off last year? I thought we had a separate entrance to lug our machines in, but security at BCEC screamed at my group to go through the main entrance, in the long-ass line, carrying rigs the size of a small British commuter car. Though we most likely misunderstood in the first place and tried to get in the wrong area...I blame lack of coffee.

Hopefully there's something arranged so BYOC people coming from the subway/on foot can get their rigs checked in easily. (Or make the instructions simpler for us thicker attendees. :) )

Last year we were allowed to use the North West Lobby 1 entrance on the west side of the convention center. In effect, if you were driving, you had to drive along the west side of the BCEC, go down the ramp in the back, back up the ramp in the back, and then down the east side of the BCEC, until you hit Lobby 1. The change this year, and I still have to clarify this, I think will be NW Lobby 2. for BYOC attendees we'll have the doors open at 8AM.

We will have a little secured area just inside of the lobby where you can drop your equipment off to take care of any car that you have.

My personal recommendation, and I realize this may not work for everyone, is that if you're planning on arriving by foot, spend a little extra money, and have a cab take you from South Station to the BCEC and directly around it to the NW Lobby entrance. I think this will save you a lot of walking and hassle. Just my two cents.

Vapok
  • Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    Drop off location still TBD, but I would assume it'll be nearly the same. (Possibly different outside door, but same side)

Probably the same Enforcer manning it, too (aka me)

JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    Hey, I submitted a group seating request via email back on Feb 13th, but it still hasn't been updated, just want to make sure it got to the right place, or if I need to re-submit.

• Options
    Exodus1 wrote: »
    Hey, I submitted a group seating request via email back on Feb 13th, but it still hasn't been updated, just want to make sure it got to the right place, or if I need to re-submit.

I'll check with @s7arbuck

Vapok
  • Options
    taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular

CRAP. My fault. Getting it taken care of.

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    taumeson wrote: »

CRAP. My fault. Getting it taken care of.
    Thanks guys, long as you have it, that's good enough for me.
    8-)

Exodus1 on
  • Options
    Group Seating has been updated!

Vapok
  • Options
    Hey Vapok, sadly, still don't see my group represented :P, I just resent the email in case the first one got lost, let me know, and I can pm the info as well if need be.

• Options
    Hey Vapok, sadly, still don't see my group represented :P, I just resent the email in case the first one got lost, let me know, and I can pm the info as well if need be.

PM me the info that you emailed.

Vapok
  • Options
    mijit88mijit88 Registered User regular
    any word on when byoc competitions and stuff will be announced?