As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten, by Level Up Labs, LLC

• RBachRBach Registered User regular
    Just used FREE8KBUM.

FREE8NAZH & FREE8NNDM have also apparently been claimed. Now, off to make that Kickstarter pledge...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Looks like all the codes are invalid, guess I missed it, oh well.

• larsiusprimelarsiusprime Registered User regular
    Thanks for playing, everyone! There's only a little more than 36 hours to go, so make your pledge while it counts!
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426761469/telepath-tactics

A lot of pledges usually come in on the last day, so this one will be down to the wire!

• KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed Defender's Quest. It is an absolutely great game, and I heartily recommend it!

• Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Yeah, this game is great. I got a free early pre-release key from the developer in a previous thread (in like January?) and I liked it so much I spent 40 hours on it and beat everything in it I could find. Then I bought the latest version on gog to show my support and I was pleasantly surprised to see my old save file still works! I hopped right into NG+ and it's been just as excellent as I remember it.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Where does the game keep save files? I moved computers and want to move my save too.

Nevermind, found it!

captaink on
  • kraz007kraz007 Registered User regular
    I'm going to GOG to get it. Looks like fun.

It's great GOG started selling new indies, I cant thank them enough for the $5 deal on Faster Than Light.

Riftforge: a free online RPG with fantasy tactics!

468.png

Blogs: Endless Space - galaxy seeds | Diablo 3 duels
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    What is everyone's strategy for dealing with Dark enemies? I find that my priests aren't very good at keeping them visible.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Lose

:P

Dark enemies gave me soooo much trouble haha. Add a few priests, and use units that have a high rate of attack

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    What is everyone's strategy for dealing with Dark enemies? I find that my priests aren't very good at keeping them visible.

Try hiring Priests until you have 5. Then place all of them and upgrade them to level 2.

You also want to position them so that the enemies enter the range of your priests slightly before they enter the range of your other units. Since the Priest spell has a cooldown (and a duration) this maximizes the time that they can be attacked.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Also set your priests to focus on attacking instead of healing so that when they cast spells they'll prioritize targets over anything else. I think one of their talents gives one of their abilities 'light' or something which helps too.
    They're the cheapest unit to fully upgrade, I will regularly bump them up to 5, or 3 at the very least, the moment I put them out, over anything else. Then place them to provide the most coverage of paths that dark enemies take as possible.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

For anyone who was on the fence, we're on sale today at GOG for $5.99

http://www.gog.com/news/gog_gem_promo_defenders_quest

24 hours only! Get it while it lasts :D

edited February 2013
    Quick update everyone, we put out some updates recently:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/218410/discussions/0/864959336396120861/

And also there's a big Steam Linux sale going on!
    http://store.steampowered.com/sale/...?snr=1_4_4__118

We're taking part at 50% off:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410/

larsiusprime on
    That first link doesn't seem to work for me for some reason. I keep getting redirected to the Steam front page.

Does that fix it for you?

It does!

edited February 2013
    We just posted a full sales stat breakdown on Gamasutra:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/186940/defenders_quest_by_the_numbers_.php

Bottom line:
    Gross: $286,646
    Sales: 40,451

We would never have had the confidence to do this without other developers who have shared their stats in the past, so it's only fair we share our numbers now.

Chief takeaways:
    • Direct sales are still #2 source of overall revenue
    • GOG is a viable (albeit small) competitor to Steam
    • Browser based demo was key to our success
    • Desura/Impulse were a disappointment

Your results may vary, this is just one data point and there's still no proof that we have any idea what we're doing. Hopefully this information helps someone!

larsiusprime on
    Thanks. Clearly my forum-foo needs improving.

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Thanks. Clearly my forum-foo needs improving.
    No problem, sir.

Anyway, great article. I believe I heard about the game through a thread here (not this thread in the Indie Games forum--pretty sure it was the original thread in G&T proper). I went to play the demo and honestly expected to be like "Yeah, that's a neat game, whatever, Flash games, lol." Then I actually played it and couldn't stop playing the demo. I power leveled as much as you can in the demo, because I knew you could export your save to the main game. I don't know how common that is in Flash-based game demos, but that is frankly a stroke of genius. Still, Steam has trained me to think that you don't buy games (especially Indie games) until they are on sale. At $7, I was still seriously considering just going ahead and buying it. I ended up jumping on it for $3 in the Because We May sale. Looking back on it, though, I enjoyed the game so much that $7 was incredibly reasonable. Had I been forced to buy it on Desura (I have an account mostly for HIBs) or Implulse (ugh, okay) I would have for sure.

I also love that you were able to wrangle up Steam keys for everyone who purchased it prior to the Steam version. The Steam gameplay stats are really interesting, but obviously it is missing all of the metrics for how much people played the demo and the non-Steam version. I know I played the demo a Hell of a lot, and then another Hell of a lot when I bought the game. I'm not sure I even want to know. I'm not huge on TD games, but this game is incredibly addictive. Any time the topic comes up, I recommend two games: Defense Grid and Defender's Quest.

RandomHajile on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm pleased at the correlation between your success and the generosity of your code giveaway here.

I couldn't be happier for you folks, I paid full price back when the game was released and have gotten far more value out of it than what I paid; both in terms of gameplay and in support and communication. Getting a Steam code when it was released there was just icing on the cake. Actually, I got two Steam codes, one for pre-release testing that translated to the retail version, and another for my prior purchase, that went to a friend.

Just out of curiosity @larsiusprime any info/news on what you are working on now? I haven't checked the blog in awhile; I suppose I could just ask ya on steam :lol: But I imagine folks around here are curious too.

I'm working on the last bits of support for Defender's Quest I - it's still making money so it's worth finishing up. I'm about 95% done with localization support and fixing mod bugs, we just launched the linux version on Steam and I'm ironing out some remaining minor glitches with the mac/linux steam builds.

I've also already started work on Defender's Quest II. I'm open-sourcing all my UI widgets from DefQ 1 to speed up development, and we'll be making a full announcement about DefQ II's direction soon.

To save myself from burnout, on Fridays I sometimes work on my side project, "Tourette Quest", a ZeldaLike/RogueLikeLike about my experiences living with Tourette's Syndrome.

!?! Defender's Quest 2?

I'm super excited, you have to keep us updated

Steam profile
    edited February 2013
    Will do!

I can say for now that it will be a mechanical sequel rather than a story sequel, much like how the Final Fantasy series works. We wrapped up DefQ 1 pretty tightly and I don't want to undermine that story with the Metroid/MegaMan effect.

That's not to say those characters we all love so much won't turn up again in a future title of ours...

larsiusprime on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Wait wait wait, a roguelike about tourettes syndrome? Gimme.

• oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    Been playing this for the past few days - brilliant, just brilliant. Honestly, I was sick and tired of tower defense games, but this one managed to hook me with its humor and rpg elements from the very first minute.

On a side note, I'm having some issues with the game randomly freezing during combat (Steam version, Win 7 x64). Is this a known issue? It makes the harder stages almost unplayable since the screen and my guys freeze but the enemies apparently don't, so when the game unfucks itself I'm usually dead already.

Anyway, other than that really great work guys. Waiting anxiously for Defender's Quest II.

steam_sig.png
    I've heard some people complain about that, I'm not entirely sure what's causing it. It might just be a generic memory problem. In that case the only thing we can suggest is to try to avoid things that cause the game to chug - run it at 2x speed instead of 4x speed, turn down the particle effects in the video options, make sure scaling is turned off, turn off battle numbers, etc.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Defenders Quest 2? Yes please! Excellent news :D I think you've come up with a really fun combination of genres, and would love to see more.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    edited February 2013
    For those of you who are interested, we have some results from the Steam Linux sale:Full Report

steam_linux_piechart.png

larsiusprime on
    We've started a new thingy! Developer's "Let's Play" of the game, with commentary about behind-the-scenes design stuff!

DEFQ_DEV_EPISODE_001_THUMB.jpg

Ooooo, can't wait to watch that.

Steam profile
  • EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing good ol' larsiusprime was probably going to post about this fairly soon anyway, but I just figured I'd mention that Defender's Quest is part of GOG.com's new sale that started today where if you grab 5 games at once you save tons of cash. The sale will be going on for about a week from now. So anybody who hasn't gotten the game yet (myself included-- I'm going to take advantage of the sale later this week), now would be a good time to grab it! There are lots of other great games to grab with it, so why not?

Hey all! I have some more goodies for you all:

We did three more "Developer's commentary let's play" videos:

DEFQ_DEV_EPISODE_002_THUMB.jpg

DEFQ_DEV_EPISODE_003_THUMB.jpg

DEFQ_DEV_EPISODE_004_THUMB.jpg

And we just uploaded our GDC 2013 narrative summit talk!

GDC_TALK_2013_THUMB.jpg

• myelinatedmyelinated Grand Moff Poopybutt Kansas, USARegistered User new member
    Hey! Love your game, I've been playing it for a few days now. The storyline and humor are both fantastic and the gameplay is solid. It feels like you spent a lot of time playtesting, the multiple difficulty levels feel very natural and I haven't run into any bugs that I am aware of.

I don't know if you're open to any suggestions from players but I'd recommend increasing the price of most of the equipment in the game. Also, equipment in general feels a bit dull at the moment. If you could add a greater selection of items for each class, with some items adding a small chance of a specific combat effect (burn, stun, knockback, etc.), I feel that would help make equipment more interesting.

Equipment is better in the NewGame+ when all those uniques actually become useful again. Their cost isn't junk at that point though, it's the skulls.

If I had to guess, though, why there wasn't more class specific equipment that buffed certain talents; is because for players who didn't choose said talent that equipment would be useless, so it remains mainly linear statistics and that's it.

The frequency with which I'm seeing @larsiusprime pop in and out of the game on Steam the past few days makes me wonder if something is going on....:P

So I forget. I have the regular version, not the steam version. Is there a way to change that? It's not a super big deal, but I haven't played this for a while and was wanting to get back into it, and figured that would be a nicer way of doing so...

Steam profile
    depending on where you bought it, you should have gotten a steam code sent to the e-mail address you bought it with. It may have gone to your spam folder though. :(