As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Brütal Legend - The curse of the Action RTS hybrid

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So, I just played the MP beta and one thing I notice is that the fan tribute solo is like freaking ridicules to pull off. Like you need perfect timing on every note. I don't recall it being this hard to pull off. Am I the only one?

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    So, I just played the MP beta and one thing I notice is that the fan tribute solo is like freaking ridicules to pull off. Like you need perfect timing on every note. I don't recall it being this hard to pull off. Am I the only one?

I can't say I agree with this. Go by what you see in the meter, rather than what you hear, if that helps.

I just realized a PC release is going to do wonders for my multiplayer experience now that it runs on a device with all my music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB5BcbEN8Zg

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    Haven't been able to get my wireless 360 controller to work with this game and it makes me sad. :/

kb+m just doesn't work very well for this.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    you using the 360 dongle? It works flawlessly for me.

I finally got it to work about 30 minutes ago. I had to fully uninstall my razor nostromo and reinstall the 360 driver.

I've played about 3 games now, and it's all just coming back to me so clearly, it's like I never left.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Just bought this. 2 TF2 items, and 5 dollars off now, so figured why wait.

New to the multiplayer, but I'd be down to play someone later.

Steam: offday
    Huh.

Now all the DLC maps have been added to the beta.

Man, it's a down right shame that this game is not getting the attention it deserves.

Everybody complains about how there's nothing but sequels nowadays.

"Waaah, waaah, another CoD game?"
    "Waah, Waah, how come Modern Warfare 5 gotten Game of the Year on all the gaming plateforms?"
    "Waah, Waah, I'm so tired of playing the same damn games."

You know why it's like that? It's because great games that takes a huge risk, like Brutal Legends, fails because people just ignore them.

Look at this game! This game takes the term 'Battle of the Bands' to a fucking literal state. It's one of those games idea that we all have! Where we are at a restaurant with a group of friends and we come up with these insane game ideas that will never come to existence. Seriously, if you ever have one of those moments then you should buy this game.

Do you want to live in a world were game designing starts at the marketing department? No? Then buy this game.

Do you want to live in a world were the 'Golden Age of Gaming' is already over? No? Then buy this game.

Do you want to tell you kids about the days of old where games used to be fun and innovative? No? Then buy this game!

Because we have no one to blame but ourselves if gaming becomes like Hollywood, where every year is just another string of sequels.

• AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines is outselling BL on Steam and that makes me sad.

Funny you mention COD. I bought CODBLOPS II for my dad and we finally got around to playing it with him this week. I'm not that crazy about the series, but I watch him play and help out if he gets stuck. Last night I found out that they added some Action-Strategy levels that are vaguely like Brutal Legend without the resource management or ability to spawn units. Zoom up to a mobile camera in the sky to watch the battle and direct units, then you can assume direct control of any unit on the map and it becomes an FPS again.

It's not very well executed, but it heightened my excitement for the 26th.

Edit: Eh, what the heck. I'll download the beta to mess with some skirmishes.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I'm liking the multiplayer. But why is it so dark? Does bloom have something to do with that? I can't seem to be able to turn it off?

Steam: offday
    Yeah, that's one of my complaints about this version of the game. I'm surprise that there is no contrast slider in the video options either.

I also notice a number of bugs in the game, but this is a beta so that is to be expected.

Does anyone know if there's plans for customizable playlists using music on your HD?

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Research shows that excess dollars causes death. Do you want to die?
    http://solidsaints.com/pools

I made a few quick videos for each faction. It's more a display of my building order than anything. They're each against the "pretty brutal" AI so don't expect a lot of fancy combat going on.

Ironheade:
    http://youtu.be/kOoD1in0MmA

Drowning Doom:
    http://youtu.be/w1TROHFCpf4

Tainted Coil:
    http://youtu.be/3VNV9_2vgtE

Those are some exceptionally brutal demonstrations of how an ace plays.

The Art of Brutal Legend is coming out for preorders. It's 252 pages and will have a ton of art, including stuff that was cut from the game.
    http://shop.doublefine.com/collections/fun-stuff/products/brutal-legend-art-book

Cantido wrote: »
    Those are some exceptionally brutal demonstrations of how an ace plays.

The Art of Brutal Legend is coming out for preorders. It's 252 pages and will have a ton of art, including stuff that was cut from the game.
    http://shop.doublefine.com/collections/fun-stuff/products/brutal-legend-art-book

These are the magic words when it comes to making me buy art books.

soempty.jpg
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Does anybody know how to invert the camera's Y-axis? It seems the game refuses to save that option (and it's only togglable when you mouse over the option).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    I'd say either wait until tonights update to try it again, or go into your config files and adjust it manually.

Interview with Tim about what to expect from the PC port and the future of the Brutal Legend franchise:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/19/pending-pc-success-brutal-legend-will-go-on/

Also, it looks like the links for the HP charts on the OP are messed up. Should be:

http://i.imgur.com/zboRGYX.png
    http://imgur.com/nZ2irxV.png

I would buy 10 flags.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So Double Fine _does_ own the rights to the Brutal Legend IP.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Man, Brutal Legend was possibly the best two-thirds of a game I've ever played, but its quite obvious they had to cut the ending short due to time / budget constraints. There are three factions in the game, you fight two of them for roughly equal lengths of time, then you fight the third faction once and the game just ends abruptly.

I think I'll definitely have to revisit this one if I'll actually have people to play multiplayer with. It is always 2v2 or can you have bigger matches?

1v1 to 4v4.

And not so much time/budget constraints as lawsuits eating up major important development time.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Man, Brutal Legend was possibly the best two-thirds of a game I've ever played, but its quite obvious they had to cut the ending short due to time / budget constraints. There are three factions in the game, you fight two of them for roughly equal lengths of time, then you fight the third faction once and the game just ends abruptly.

I think I'll definitely have to revisit this one if I'll actually have people to play multiplayer with. It is always 2v2 or can you have bigger matches?

Yes, and it's quite obvious where the cut came, as well.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Man, I don't get Drowning Doom.

It seems like the only thing they're good for is digging their own graves.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2013
    Yes. Activision was going originally publish, then they dumped Double Fine during the Vivendi merger (I think? Maybe that was Psychonauts) and EA picked them up.

Now that EA is done with them, Double Fine is the publisher.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png

You should always have one bride preferably upgraded. One organist and one dirg.

Never attack during ironheade's sunshine solo.

Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Yes. Activision was going originally publish, then they dumped Double Fine during the Vivendi merger (I think? Maybe that was Psychonauts) and EA picked them up.

Now that EA is done with them, Double Fine is the publisher.

More or less. Sierra was the original publisher, then Activision dumped it after the Vivendi merger.

Psychonauts was originally going to be published by Microsoft as an Xbox exclusive, but they dumped it after a few years of development. Majesco picked it up after that and the game went multiplatform. A few years ago, they bought the IP back from Majesco and pushed out a new PC patch plus added Steamworks integration.

Now I think the only original IPs they definitely don't own are Iron Brigade and Kinect Party, which are Microsoft's. Not sure about The Cave or DFHAT. It sounded like THQ still owned XBLA/PSN publishing rights to Stacking and Costume Quest when they imploded, but DF owns the IP and PC publishing rights at least.

soempty.jpg
    Kor wrote: »

You should always have one bride preferably upgraded. One organist and one dirg.

Drowning Doom have some of my favorite DT attacks. Ratguts let you morph into a pack of rats to munch on infantry and the Lightning Rod is my absolute favorite, which lets you charge up a blast of chain lightning to zap a huge cluster of opponents using a dude in an electric chair. It was my favorite way to shut down Fire Barons before they got nerf.

DD has no buffs to their name, and instead have all the debuffs, which build and build until you have a "Wall of Death" in which opponents can't function if they get too close.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

Drowning Doom have some of my favorite DT attacks. Ratguts let you morph into a pack of rats to munch on infantry and the Lightning Rod is my absolute favorite, which lets you charge up a blast of chain lightning to zap a huge cluster of opponents using a dude in an electric chair. It was my favorite way to shut down Fire Barons before they got nerf.

DD has no buffs to their name, and instead have all the debuffs, which build and build until you have a "Wall of Death" in which opponents can't function if they get too close.

I guess that explains why my solution to the single player campaign's penultimate fight was "lots and lots of ranged units".

• CaptainGanzCaptainGanz Salt Lake City, UtahRegistered User regular
    Game needs more people playing. It takes forever to find matches. Tons of fun, though; I missed possessing rock crushers with Organists.

Would you all be interested in doing some kind of tournament maybe a week or two after the game's release?

YL9WnCY.png
    edited February 2013
    Mr Ray wrote: »

I guess that explains why my solution to the single player campaign's penultimate fight was "lots and lots of ranged units".

Now that I'm not on my phone, I can elaborate.

The Bride unit reduces enemy movement speed.
    The Organist reduces enemy attack damage.
    The Dirge reduces the enemies armor, which basically just means you do more damage to them.

Also, don't forget to carry around a Frightwig or two if the enemy is higher up in their tech tree. Both the Frightwig and the Organist have possesion based Double team attacks. Fright fig steals a unit and makes it yours semi-permanently. Organist only hold the unit as yours while you are double teaming. And yes, this works on the Ironheade and Drowning Doom super units.

I guess Drowning Doom is the faction that requires the most Micro Management, as the double team attacks are so vital to whats going on.

The Gravedigger Double Team is an explosion.
    The Bride DT is a huge anti-avatar nuke.
    The Frightwig is a possession
    The Organist is a possession
    The Lighting Rod is just the siege weapon.
    The Reaper one is interesting, as it make all enemy infantry run away scared to death, rending them pretty useless.
    The Brood is a giant anti-vehicle nuke.
    The Dirg is an AoE DoT.
    The Treeback is actually a heavy hitting unit.

I guess what I'm saying here, is that Drowning Doom probably has the most potential to be an absolute monster the more Avatars you have on your team (I.E. 3v3 or 4v4).

Edit: And I love me some tournaments.

Kor on
    edited February 2013
    If my new job doesn't get in the way, a tournament would be fantastic.

Oh, and Drowning Doom's solos are excellent. Veil of Deciet makes your army invisible until close range, and Baleful Misdirection is equivalent to Starcraft 2's Hallucination. It lets you make a fake build of units, either to mess with your opponent directly or to confuse units.

For example, the best thing Drowning Doom can do against a herd of Razor Girls is make a fake set of Grave Diggers, command them to attack the Razor Girls, and then the Doom player can rush in and land the Shadow Blast or Ratgut in to do the real damage.

Cantido on
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Would you all be interested in doing some kind of tournament maybe a week or two after the game's release?

Hell yes!

EDIT: We should have a list of players in the OP, so everybody can play with each other and not have to go through the matchmaking service.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    A team one or a 1v1 tournament?

Depends on how many people we get.

YL9WnCY.png
    Yesterday's Patch Notes:
    **2/21/13 Build**
    Now Live!!

Hi everyone, thank you for being patient. We have just released a new update with quite a few big fixes.

Major Improvements

• Controller bugs todo with camera being out of sync in MP should be 100% fixed.
    • Ink VFX are fixed.
    • User scalable draw distance (in Visuals menu). Crank it to max and see the world as it was meant to be seen. Note that you may need a reasonably beefy system to support max draw distance. You can also reduce the draw distance to speed things up.
    • Diffuse and Normal textures are higher quality by default (aniso 4x). This can be disabled through a new option in Visuals menu.
    • Nice improvements to shadow quality, including additional distance, better filtering, and some fine tuning of important parameters.
    • Brightness now properly applied and saved.
    • Additional UI fixes and improvements, including more removal of “hardcoded” Xbox buttons. The UI should now be 98% correct with mouse/keyboard.
    • New CPU rendering optimizations for better performance in big battles and large maps.
    • New optimizations to file loading, should reduce hitching, especially early in MP games.
    • Much higher quality compression for in-game SFX.

Major Known Issues

• Controller support is still limited. We’re going to post a thread to collect controller configs for our next update.
    • Rendering is still capped. We’re sorting out the last tricky bugs. Will be in an update in the next few days, but we still expect it to land before official release.
    • Inverting the X and Y axis is not functioning for the controller
    • Inverting the X axis is not functioning for keyboard/mouse
    • You cannot exit the pause menu without first selecting one of the menus

Also, take 2 minutes out of your day to help double fine gather a good base of controller configs:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/225260/discussions/0/846945955316594293/

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    So I've always been interested in this game but never picked it up on console (I know I'm terrible) and I know I want to check out the single player. But multiplayer in general isn't really my thing and I get the feeling that if I do give it a shot that everybody else is going to already know everything and just destroy me, pushing me even further away.

So, really, is this worth the $15 just for the single player?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    So I've always been interested in this game but never picked it up on console (I know I'm terrible) and I know I want to check out the single player. But multiplayer in general isn't really my thing and I get the feeling that if I do give it a shot that everybody else is going to already know everything and just destroy me, pushing me even further away.

So, really, is this worth the $15 just for the single player?

I think so. I paid full price for the game when it came out felt like I got enough enjoyment out of it. I sucked at the RTS stuff, but not enough to stop playing. I never tried the multiplayer. I think my love for metal in general helped a lot, though.

The single player is really fucking enjoyable if you like Double Fine humor and Rock music.