As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony Conference Thread: It's over! PS4 confirmed, price/console design unknown.

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I do kinda want to play watch dogs though.

To Microsoft: How to top the ps4 announcement

Backwards compatibility.
    Let me buy second hand games.
    Have less creepy people describe carbon fibre. Or better yet, don't mention it at all.

it's been confirmed that ps4 will play second hand games

I dunno what I'd like from Microsoft for them to top Sony. Backwards compatibility isn't it for me at least because it's not worth the console being more expensive. I guess it's completely dependent on games for me because I assume the power will be comparable and that all network and marketplace stuff between the consoles will end up similar as well

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I call my column Slanted and DISenchanted

It makes The Man very uncomfortable

• Options
    the last of us is the game I was most excited for until the witcher 3 announcement. I thought they might show some of it at the PS4 conference since it's naughty dog and all but oh well

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/yoshida-used-games-caveat/
    Sony head of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida is a gregarious, smart, talkative interviewee. And that's exactly why it was so weird that he fully waffled when we asked him to address whether or not the newly unveiled PlayStation 4 will play used games. "That's my expectation, that PS4 games will work on [the] hardware. That's my expectation," he told us in an interview this morning. When we pushed to clarify what he meant, Yoshida stuttered. "Ummm ... yeah. We have to really name our system services to explain more about it," he added.

That's a similar answer to what he told Eurogamer last night at Sony's big PlayStation 4 announcement event, vagueness and all. Yes, used games "can play on PS4," but does it require a license repurchase? Perhaps you have to belong to an as-yet-unidentified PS4 online network? It's not entirely clear, but there seems to be a caveat to the statement, "Used games work on PS4." Sony, however, isn't saying what that caveat is just yet. Of course, current-gen consoles all support buying any used, physical copies of games and playing them on their corresponding game consoles

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Wimble wrote: »

Backwards compatibility.
    Have less creepy people describe carbon fibre. Or better yet, don't mention it at all.

I dunno what I'd like from Microsoft for them to top Sony. Backwards compatibility isn't it for me at least because it's not worth the console being more expensive. I guess it's completely dependent on games for me because I assume the power will be comparable and that all network and marketplace stuff between the consoles will end up similar as well

They haven't confirmed it.

They said something along the lines of that they'd like to please all their fans of possible.

So more of a, we haven't said no yet!

• Options
    oh man wait the last of us has a release date and everything I dunno why I was expecting it to end up a ps4 game

sweet. Less time to wait woo

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    the last of us is the game I was most excited for until the witcher 3 announcement. I thought they might show some of it at the PS4 conference since it's naughty dog and all but oh well

They aren't gonna spend time on an event focused around their new console showing off a game for the previous one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    ps4 has a ridiculous amount of fast ram so I think we will indeed see bigger areas

Thats a huge jump from what the PS3 offered.

Im curious if Microsoft will bother matching it or be more conservative and focus on not making a fireball that runs hotter than the sun.

Oh man I hope they learned their lesson.

I'm sure heatsink issues is top of their list.

They probably won't go higher than 2 gigs of ram. Raw stats won't mean much though and odds are they've been finalized anyway.

If the focus on games and improvements to live they'll be good to go.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

Backwards compatibility.

They haven't confirmed it.

They said something along the lines of that they'd like to please all their fans of possible.

So more of a, we haven't said no yet!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-sony-tells-eurogamer-playstation-4-will-not-block-used-games
    Yoshida then took control again firmly:

"So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"

I thought that was pretty clear but yeah I suppose things could turn out differently

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That sounds reasonably clear wimbs, I haven't seen that interview.

But there is also the quote a bit up the page too.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    what i wonder is how they can deliver such a smooth, convincing service as playstation plus immediately on the ps4

that system works because they have a massive back-catlologue of games, and they're able to offer relatively recent ones for free to subscribers. what happens if you buy a ps4 and want to invest in subscription services? do you get old games, or does sony offer its' brand new, launch-title shit for free? i don't really understand how it's going to play out - how it can offer a better product.

but i've already asked this question

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Well they certainly aren't going to give you old games cause they won't run on the PS4

I expect we will hear more about their online model at E3

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Launch games typically aren't that great. Every system may have a couple notable exceptions, but its going to take about 1-2 years before we start seeing 'the real shit'. I always feel it is unfair to compare the end lifespan titles of a console with the launch titles of another.

Also PS killzone is an enjoyable romp eff the haters. KZ2 multi was really well handled

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I wonder if we'll get a PS4 port of Last of Us. If they decide to do that I could see myself waiting a few extra months to play it.

• Options
    Like, all of my most favorite PS2 titles came out for it as it was in its death knell

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll get a PS4 port of Last of Us. If they decide to do that I could see myself waiting a few extra months to play it.

why? would the graphics be that much better, really?

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »

It would probably like Tomb Raider Legend Xbox vs. 360, essentially the same with some added effects

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    Launch games typically aren't that great. Every system may have a couple notable exceptions, but its going to take about 1-2 years before we start seeing 'the real shit'. I always feel it is unfair to compare the end lifespan titles of a console with the launch titles of another.

Also PS killzone is an enjoyable romp eff the haters. KZ2 multi was really well handled

well it might be different this time around because of how developer friendly it is being marketed as being

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It would probably like Tomb Raider Legend Xbox vs. 360, essentially the same with some added effects

i hate effects

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    I doubt they will port Last of Us just because it would be so much extra work.

Ubisoft can afford to do stuff like that for Watch Dogs because they are so huge and can farm out a lot of that work.

I'm sure Naughty Dog is already working on a next gen game though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    why bother? drake's fortune already exists

seriously after uncharted and red dead redemption i just have the feeling th industry should pack it in. their work here is done.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options

well it might be different this time around because of how developer friendly it is being marketed as being

The 360 was developer friendly too, it was still mostly an Uno/Geometry Wars box for its first year of existence. It wasn't until Gears that it got its first real signature game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

I don't think it would be any better, just that if I'm buying a PS4 it would be nice to have a few extra games to play on it when it's released.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »

The 360 was developer friendly too, it was still mostly an Uno/Geometry Wars box for its first year of existence. It wasn't until Gears that it got its first real signature game.

CoD 2 was a relatively small deal but it solidified the series as an Xbox mainstay and got people more interested in that series pre-Halo 3. It was the killer app everyone forgot. Still my favorite CoD game.

• Options
    Balefuego wrote: »

yeah but consider that the 360 launch titles suffered from the launch titles being lame. With todays connections for both platforms I think the only thing holding back the games would be cumbersome development or wrestling with new technologies

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    I liked Kameo and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

• Options
    oh I don't mean to say they were all necessarily bad or anything, just that I don't think the established console franchises and developers that are gearing up for this gen can be compared to what was going on for 360 launch and so the comparison isn't very convincing for me

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    @melding

what is it about Deep Down that interests you?

i can't stop thinking about it for some reason, but i can't think of why. The graphics are amazing, but that goofy little translucent micro-HUD was weird. When the elf-looking guy with the bow shoots the explosive arrow at the dragon, the hud is on the right. Then it goes back to heavily armored guy, and it is on the left.

I really hope it is going to be four player co-op campaign. The campfire recalled Dark Souls, but holy shit there were other characters here! And then they went off adventuring together! there was talk of the ps4 being some sort of social hub. I hope that means more co-op.

the ps4 and the xbox... 1440? need to make friends list match-making work. I don't play a ton of games, but I have only seen one series that really succeeds at letting you play with your friends-- goddamned Call of Duty. You just open a menu, move over to the friends tab, and either send an invite or join them.

if i squint at the armored guy's helmet long enough, it resembles a metal onion :)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Yeah real talk until gears the game I played most on my launch 360 was Marble Blast Ultra

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Dead Rising was relatively early, wasn't it? I played a toooooon of that. And Chromehounds.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    melding

what is it about Deep Down that interests you?

i can't stop thinking about it for some reason, but i can't think of why. The graphics are amazing, but that goofy little translucent micro-HUD was weird. When the elf-looking guy with the bow shoots the explosive arrow at the dragon, the hud is on the right. Then it goes back to heavily armored guy, and it is on the left.

I really hope it is going to be four player co-op campaign. The campfire recalled Dark Souls, but holy shit there were other characters here! And then they went off adventuring together! there was talk of the ps4 being some sort of social hub. I hope that means more co-op.

the ps4 and the xbox... 1440? need to make friends list match-making work. I don't play a ton of games, but I have only seen one series that really succeeds at letting you play with your friends-- goddamned Call of Duty. You just open a menu, move over to the friends tab, and either send an invite or join them.

if i squint at the armored guy's helmet long enough, it resembles a metal onion :)

well, as the abridged version of the press conference points out "DRAGONS!" as well it is a low fantasy looking setting that still has elves and a shitty wizard.

As for the hud elements, i'm thinking you're controlling both at the same time that's why they're on the screen at the same time and each character has a different side. So it might have tactical play with your switching between duders.

Really, i just like fantasy stuff and dragons and the idea that the game is about monster hunting is something i love.

Also it reminded me of dragon's dogma, largely because it is capcom, and that was one of the most fun games i played in 2012.

• Options
    I think they said it's in the dragon's dogma universe

I like games in the same universe that aren't direct sequels, conceptually

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    people keep saying they said it's in the same universe but I can't find where they actually said that

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Dead Rising was relatively early, wasn't it? I played a toooooon of that. And Chromehounds.

I played a ton of dead rising also, but I can't remember if it came out before Gears. You might be right.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Dead Rising was definitely before Gears

Survey says it came out 3 months before

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    imagine if the xbox 2 launches with a proper next-gen chromehounds

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I remember Chromehouds.

It was fun until everyone started building hovermechs only and rushing your the base.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Chromehounds' meta got kinda wacky

Basically everyone went around in setups that blocked off the torso entirely

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    There shouldn't be non leg based locomotion in a mecha game unless it is only a secondary form of movement.

That should be a law.

• Options
    Uriels Laws of Robotics Games.