As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Song of Ice and Fire, BOOK AND TV AND ESPECIALLY BOOK SPOILERS INSIDE

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    There's nothing wrong with the aging of the actors, the show just isn't great about depicting the passage of time. Everything takes forever when all you've got to get around is horses.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    It's always difficult to get the passage of time across with film. Really, the most erroneous example has been Littlefinger zooming around from location to location last season.

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    3) Bran is an issue, but mostly for the poor dude who plays Hodor's back.

I think they've already given him a wheelbarrow.

Hope it has some off-road tyres. :D

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Mine shipped from Amazon yesterday. At which time the price was $29.99, hopefully they refund the difference since they charged me more than that.

If you pre-ordered and got their pre-order price guarantee, they'll refund you. I got an e-mail about it yesterday! Thanks Amazon!

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I ended up getting a $5 refund but it had already shipped when I did the price comparison between the websites, I didn't think twice about where to order from which is why I was so surprised that the CA site was the same price, it's usually a $10-40 difference on blu-ray or DVDs.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    The Season 1 Blu-ray, it has DVDs too, right? I'm thinking of picking it up on Amazon and trying to get some friends into the show, and maybe, just maybe, into the books as well.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Nice to see the trailer is coming a day early. Does Kimmel have guests from the show on tomorrow night?

Fakefaux on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Doesn't look like it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Blendtec wrote: »
    The Season 1 Blu-ray, it has DVDs too, right? I'm thinking of picking it up on Amazon and trying to get some friends into the show, and maybe, just maybe, into the books as well.

My blu-ray of season 1 did not come with DVD's in the box. I think. I'm fairly sure. I would check, but it is all the way across the room.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Season 1 was separate, they switched to combo sets for 2.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Season 1 was separate, they switched to combo sets for 2.

Awesome. I haven't even opened my Season 2 copy yet. Good to know!

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Yeah just looked in mine this morning and they're in it.

Watching season two finally and fuuuuuuuuuuck I'd forgotten half of this!

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Yeah just looked in mine this morning and they're in it.

Watching season two finally and fuuuuuuuuuuck I'd forgotten half of this!

I would swear that, in the broadcast version, they didn't have any of the lines about "they killed his soul" in episode 2. At least not subtitled. So that's interesting stuff.

We don't have HBO so this is my first time getting to watch it. Don't have anything to compare it to but the books.

We don't have HBO so this is my first time getting to watch it. Don't have anything to compare it to but the books.

oh, that's what you meant by "forgotten".

Well, enjoy!

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Same here.

Oh shit Asha/Yara looks great.

Only difference is I always pictured her with short hair.

These histories are awesome.

The one with Theon and Asha switching off lines is my favorite so far.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Amazon sure is slow with this. My order isn't even listed as shipping soon yet, and I placed that order back in November.

Do you have Prime?

Got through another batch of histories (it's slow going, as I'm ripping them to the harddrive and have to rename everything). Some duplicated information, and I'm not entirely sure if Stannis losing Storm's End was a punishment in the books, but overall these are just excellent.

edited February 2013
    Stannis always saw it as a punishment, even in the books. Whether that's what Robert intended is another matter.

Fakefaux on
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Stannis always saw it as a punishment, even in the books. Whether that's what Robert intended is another matter.

oh, gotcha. I really need to re-read them!

I love how perspective means everything in the books and they kept that in the background info in the show. Each character sees the same event in very different light, and we have no solid history about what happened, only conjecture and broken memories.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Prior to the rebellion, Dragonstone was the seat of House Targaryen. It was ruled by the Crown Prince (much like Winterfell was ruled by the Lord Stark).

After the rebellion, Robert needed it to be ruled by a strong leader with unquestioned loyalty. Stannis was a logical choice (Renly may or may not have also been a good available, but at the time he just a child). In addition, Stannis was technically the Crown Prince, so they probably wanted to maintain that tradition as well... Unfortunately, Stannis took it as a theft of his birthright instead, and always resented it.

Which is a bit sad, when you think about it. I think it highlights Stannis's character quite well - he always tries to do what he thinks is right, and he generally hates doing what is right. His bitterness is entirely his own doing; if he just managed his own expectations and perspective a bit better his life actually has had room for quite a bit of happiness.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    On the other hand Cersei(?) says that Robert intended the title change as a slight, since Stannis was an awful fucking bore who never shut up about what he was owed

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Been awhile since I've read those particular sections, so the conjecture that follows is open to correction.

Dragonstone's importance is largely derived from people saying "Dragonstone is important" whereas Storm's End has more purpose. Storm's End is useful where Dragonstone is not. (This is the part I'm most vague on) Doesn't Storm's End command more & stronger banners than Dragonstone? Does't (didn't) it have actual farmland with food to eat (when it's not under siege)?

• MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Been awhile since I've read those particular sections, so the conjecture that follows is open to correction.

Dragonstone's importance is largely derived from people saying "Dragonstone is important" whereas Storm's End has more purpose. Storm's End is useful where Dragonstone is not. (This is the part I'm most vague on) Doesn't Storm's End command more & stronger banners than Dragonstone? Does't (didn't) it have actual farmland with food to eat (when it's not under siege)?

Storms end was a shit load of islands and spanned across the narrow sea and had some of the richest banners in the kingdom.

Dragonstone does have strategic significance; anybody who holds it has a perfect staging ground for an assault on King's Landing.

• MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    It's arguably the most divided and influenced by the east and heavy trade.. It's pretty much a collective of all the nautical regions of the kingdom and what was controlled by Valaryians.

So happily the dvds are doing really good business
    The heavily promoted DVD title was released earlier this week. The company reports that the first day moved 241,000 units, which is 44 percent higher than the first season’s initial sales and represent the biggest first-day numbers ever for an HBO home video release. HBO also sold 355,000 individual episodes via digital downloads, up 112 percent from season one. Given the more intense home video interest for season two, it wouldn’t be surprising if the show’s ratings surpass last season’s numbers when the show returns next month.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    On the other hand Cersei(?) says that Robert intended the title change as a slight, since Stannis was an awful fucking bore who never shut up about what he was owed

Unless she was thinking it to herself, I'd wager Cersei would put that out there because she's the kind of person who'd spread bad info or try to get a rise out of someone just to see it happen. She's a real mixer (in the Hard Day's Night sense). 'Course, I don't know who she said it to, so she could also have the right of it.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    And we all know Cersei is a font of unbiased observation and objective truth.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Now we get to play "identify the scenes"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzI9v_B4sxw
    I definitely see the wildlings climbing the wall (with an AWESOME shot), Dondarrion fighting the Hound, what I'm presuming is Jaime losing his hand and Hoster's funeral.

Oh, and I love that the voiceover when they play the Jaime bit is Mormont saying "...put a sword in his hand."

Also, I love the preview shot on the trailer.

Tomanta on
    This show is so crazy purdy

Anybody know which castle this is?

2B9uSuj.jpg

Anybody know which castle this is?

I've been wondering the same thing.

Wait. I was thinking it was a coastal castle, but could that be Riverrun?

My guess is that it's Dragonstone. I seem to recall the theme song depiction of it had a similarly zig-zaggy wall.

edited February 2013
    Dragonstone is the only other guess I would have, I just don't see any of the dragon iconography I would expect.

Tomanta on
This discussion has been closed.