As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Antilago[chat]ic

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    The only theme party I would ever host would be a footy pajama party. Because I am a footy evangelical.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    So apparently the affordable housing project near me has been completed and the houses will be going on sale soon.

$400,000.00

That's not really my definition of affordable.

I would suck a dozen dicks to get 900 sq ft at $400,000 in a good school district

• Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    "All I ask is that out of the hundred homes, one is given to a poor family from the inner city."

"So the other 99 live in fear? Come on!"

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i want to live in a shitty school district. my kid is gonna get a trial by fire.

'either become an inspirational success story or overdose at sixteen. it's entirely up to you.'

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    So apparently the affordable housing project near me has been completed and the houses will be going on sale soon.

$400,000.00

maybe it's a mixed housing program

a section of affordable housing subsidized by the rest

(the affordable lots may never go on sale, having been already sold to whatever municipal org hands out the houses)

Maybe. I haven't really looked into it.

It's part of a greater initiative to get some of the lower income families into houses, and alleviate some of the housing issues we've been having.

It's not the best neighbourhood though. I'd pegs us as lower-middle/middle.

Housing here really is pretty crazy though. Rather save up and move back to a fancy beach house in Cape Town.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I spent a while picking through C+K's myth and measurement to see if I could grok their minimum wage model

my interpretation is that it works via (1) reducing time spent in search/vacancies, hence increasing employment (2) pricing low-wage low-productivity workers out of the market

if (1) winds up being greater than (2), then you get the reduction in unemployment. this is substantially more likely near the bottom end, where search costs are probably a substantial fraction of labour wages

(2) is important because it underpins the model's consistency with elastic labour demand, which is quite appealing in the context of keynesian stimulus (say). or immigration-on-wage studies.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    Just gentrify everything, herd the displaced poors into the recycling tanks and be done with it.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    OH MY GOD THIS DS9 TIMECOP EPISODE IS AMAZING.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

$400,000.00

I would suck a dozen dicks to get 900 sq ft at $400,000 in a good school district

Well go look in CT. My old house was significantly less that $450 per sqrft. and in one of the best school systems in the state.

I have the best solutions for every social problem.

Society is just too cowardly to accept my bold awesome plans.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Just gentrify everything, herd the displaced poors into the recycling tanks and be done with it.

Don't be cruel. I'm sure if we dump them out in the country some kindly rural folk will give them a home.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

This looks like English, but I"m not sure.

Don't be cruel. I'm sure if we dump them out in the country some kindly rural folk will give them a home.

God.

Like the rurals won't be the first ones into the tanks.

I personally find it quite difficult to hold a combined opposition to gentrification and support for better urban services

one rather follows the other

aRkpc.gif
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular

needs moar human sacrifice

Sarksus wrote: »

A bunch of the crew of DS9 end up in the original star trek era, on the enterprise. Their temporal transgression is investigated by the Temporal Crimes unit.

needs moar human sacrifice

People into mysticism also go into the tanks.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    @ronya

Looks like you're right. It's mixed housing.

However, it turns out it makes it worse.

3,000 homes built.

10% would be less that $400,000.
    10% would be between $400,000 and $485,000.
    17 homes would be included under the Gateway Housing plan.
    He said these prices were "more affordable in the Auckland context".

Edit: Don't see anything about counsel housing.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

$400,000.00

Well go look in CT. My old house was significantly less that $450 per sqrft. and in one of the best school systems in the state.

I probably should have added "in commuting range of my job"

I'm sure there are plenty of places that are nice places in that range.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

A bunch of the crew of DS9 end up in the original star trek era, on the enterprise. Their temporal transgression is investigated by the Temporal Crimes unit.

Remarkable.

Although they are permitted to pretend their deaths have mystical significance.

I'm not mean.

• Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular

It's honestly one of the best episodes of Trek. You wouldn't think a blatant rehash of an old Trek story would be, but they do an amazing job with it.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

$400,000.00

I probably should have added "in commuting range of my job"

I'm sure there are plenty of places that are nice places in that range.

Can't help ya there. Speaking of school systems, LA's is spiraling into a dismal pit of doom.

OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST STAR TREK I'VE EVER SEEN.

I have to watch the original series based on this footage.

In the early 1980s in Takasera, a village in Rukum District in western Nepal, a group of locals decided to begin a development project and bought a Swiss-made water mill which would power machinery such as a press to make oil and a saw mill. The community sent a group of men to Kathmandu who learned how to dismantle the machinery and then put it back together again. The machinery was brought back and successfully put into operation. In 1984, a government official wrote saying that in autonomously undertaking this project the community had “usurped the role of the king” and the mill would have to be shut down. When the locals refused, the police was sent to destroy the mill. The mill was only saved because the villagers were able to ambush and disarm the police.

So why was the Nepalese government opposed to the mill? The answer is that the monarchy and the elite surrounding it, who controlled the government, were afraid of becoming political losers. Economic progress brings social and political change, eroding the political power of elites and rulers, who in response often prefer to sacrifice economic development for political stability.

The mill in Takasera was not the first time in Nepalese history that Nepal’s rulers had tried to block development. Historically, the Nepalese political elite have clearly preferred political stability and the political status quo to development and this had inhibited them from taking the actions which were needed to promote development. In the 19th century a position of hereditary prime minister, known as the Rana, became the real power in the country and Chandra Shamsher, the Rana between 1901 and 1929, told the British King George V that the British faced the opposition of Indian nationalism because they had made the mistake of educating Indians. He closed down as many as 30 schools in Nepal, not wanting to face a similar opposition in Nepal. He went further and deliberately tried to keep his country isolated, for example by refusing to build a road linking the Kathmandu valley to India in the 1920s.

aRkpc.gif
    Played a match of CODBLOPSII (is that the acronym?) since it's free this weekend.

Got 2nd place somehow.

Move to New Zealand
    @ronya

Looks like you're right. It's mixed housing.

However, it turns out it makes it worse.

3,000 homes built.

10% would be less that $400,000.
    10% would be between $400,000 and $485,000.
    17 homes would be included under the Gateway Housing plan.
    He said these prices were "more affordable in the Auckland context".

Edit: Don't see anything about counsel housing.

it's funded out of an implicit tax on the other units, so it is never a terribly large share, unless the market is so tightly squeezed that the developer can overcharge silly on the other units

aRkpc.gif
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Swag swag swag swag
    My drink is pink because I support the Tatas .
    Wrong month?
    Fuck yo couch

Bless your heart.
    Goddamn I wish I could watch DS9 for the first time again.

In the early 1980s in Takasera, a village in Rukum District in western Nepal, a group of locals decided to begin a development project and bought a Swiss-made water mill which would power machinery such as a press to make oil and a saw mill. The community sent a group of men to Kathmandu who learned how to dismantle the machinery and then put it back together again. The machinery was brought back and successfully put into operation. In 1984, a government official wrote saying that in autonomously undertaking this project the community had “usurped the role of the king” and the mill would have to be shut down. When the locals refused, the police was sent to destroy the mill. The mill was only saved because the villagers were able to ambush and disarm the police.

So why was the Nepalese government opposed to the mill? The answer is that the monarchy and the elite surrounding it, who controlled the government, were afraid of becoming political losers. Economic progress brings social and political change, eroding the political power of elites and rulers, who in response often prefer to sacrifice economic development for political stability.

The mill in Takasera was not the first time in Nepalese history that Nepal’s rulers had tried to block development. Historically, the Nepalese political elite have clearly preferred political stability and the political status quo to development and this had inhibited them from taking the actions which were needed to promote development. In the 19th century a position of hereditary prime minister, known as the Rana, became the real power in the country and Chandra Shamsher, the Rana between 1901 and 1929, told the British King George V that the British faced the opposition of Indian nationalism because they had made the mistake of educating Indians. He closed down as many as 30 schools in Nepal, not wanting to face a similar opposition in Nepal. He went further and deliberately tried to keep his country isolated, for example by refusing to build a road linking the Kathmandu valley to India in the 1920s.

I wonder how [former] Tibet compares to that.

I hear conflicting narratives. On the one hand is the well-known one about the annexation being evil, but then the other one I hear is that the old regime was oppressive and backwards and awful and pretty much deserved to be dismantled.

basically, when governments try to sell AFFORDABLE HOUSING, and you see them trying to push specific and actual units that will be AFFORDABLE, you've been sold a political lie

the affordability only turns up when they flood the market with new construction; then the affordable units are the newly-vacated ones as people all take one step up the ladder each

now what actually happens instead is often AFFORDABLE HOUSING in particular neighbourhoods, in which case this government isn't really prepared to meet housing demand, rather there's a wait-list somewhere and you're almost certainly not on it

aRkpc.gif
    The best fight scene in tv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMrzdKzQTf8

hahaha eat Klingon backhand, Chekhov!

edited February 2013

I wonder how [former] Tibet compares to that.

I hear conflicting narratives. On the one hand is the well-known one about the annexation being evil, but then the other one I hear is that the old regime was oppressive and backwards and awful and pretty much deserved to be dismantled.

it was oppressive and backwards and awful and pretty much deserved to be dismantled

what exists is almost certainly much better than an independent tibet siphoning the gargantuan stream of bribe money that being an india-china buffer state would generate, into entrenching a violently theocratic state

still, the PRC is doing a terrible job of pursuing materialistic development, and is doing a lot of ethnic cleansing

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    That bartender is amazing

i liked the new ST ok

edited February 2013
    a lot of opposition to gentrification falls into that anti-development rhetorical mode, dressed up in exactly the same community identity politics

the "wait, who appointed you representative and arbitrator of the rights of every single person in this neighbourhood" question rarely comes up

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    edited February 2013
    I do wonder how an overtly buddhist state would relate to the overtly muslim state just over the border

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    "You're not claiming that this was a case of predestination?"

"No."

"Good. We hate that. Now what happened?"

"Explaining that might take some time."

"Is that a joke?"

"No!"

"Good. We hate those too."

i had to turn off girls

i tried

i got like 10 minutes into the pilot and i was cringing so fucking hard i had to stop

This discussion has been closed.