As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Antilago[chat]ic

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Blah this weather makes me not able p drink as much because I have to be able to float my car home because half the streets flood

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    I see/interact with Anne every once and a while at work. She is actually nice and I've never had the guts to say "her?"

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Chu, don't wear jos a banks. Its cheap disposable garbage.

go to C21 when you're in town.

• Options
    The New Normal is the latest in Ryan Murphy's quest to quietly introduce the gay minstrel show into our culture.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    The New Normal is the latest in Ryan Murphy's quest to quietly introduce the gay minstrel show into our culture.

I have very mixed feelings about Ryan Murphy. Mostly negative feelings.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

I hate that show, but my wife loves it.

I just imagine that the director is screaming "FAGGIER!!!! ACT FAGGIER!!!!!" After way too many takes.

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

I hate that show, but my wife loves it.

I just imagine that the director is screaming "FAGGIER!!!! ACT FAGGIER!!!!!" After way too many takes.

The New Normal is trying to do what Modern Family got right the first time.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

yeah i'm returning them tomorrow. i got two dress shirts (a white oxford cloth and a purple gingham) and they seemed thin-ish but ok in store. now that i'm at home in different lighting and i'm moving around more they feel like fucking tissue paper. what cheap ass things.

when i return them i'm gonna take another look at the clearance rack at brooks bros... see if i can find any collared shirts for 50 bucks or less on sale

otherwise i might just wait to check out c21, yeah

haven't been there since i bought a peacoat in like 2006

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    these jos a banks shirts are so thin, they feel like garbage

i might just return them and keep looking

but they were relatively cheap and they fit ok (which isn't common with my huge gut)

sigh

i could be non fat and have my pick of brands but that ain't happening anytime soon

Find a blank T-shirt retailer online and buy high weight cotton. 210 gsm is the upper-limit of T-shirt and feels great to wear.

• Options
    Ryan Murphy did some interesting things. But his brand is entirely dominated by hyper unnaturally sexualized drama and comedies that revolve around offensively gay stereotypes to define "alternative" family situations. A much more palatable way to introduce diversity into modern sitcoms would be to...umm...I don't know...not point flashing neon signs at every exploitatively different character archetype?

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »

yeah i'm returning them tomorrow. i got two dress shirts (a white oxford cloth and a purple gingham) and they seemed thin-ish but ok in store. now that i'm at home in different lighting and i'm moving around more they feel like fucking tissue paper. what cheap ass things.

when i return them i'm gonna take another look at the clearance rack at brooks bros... see if i can find any collared shirts for 50 bucks or less on sale

otherwise i might just wait to check out c21, yeah

haven't been there since i bought a peacoat in like 2006

Dude, it's like 100 feet from my office. If you let me know your measurements I can check if they carry chest tarps in your size no problem

• Options
    Modern Family is just as bad, IMO. I mean, the stereotypes are maybe a little more muted but neither show is good by any stretch.

• Options
    haha

i'll probably go when i come up to the city in a couple weeks

i think i'm like 18/35

or maybe 18.5/35

depends on the maker i guess

• Options
    Guys how come sizes...SIZES...are never the same. It is a measurement...how can you change that up?

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I got through two episodes of Girls because a bunch of fucking asshats wouldnt stop talking about it

the only thing keeping me from killing those people is the fact that I can only kill them once. Paralysis of choice. Because they deserve so many deaths

the acting was terrible but even worse the writing was the absolute worst kind of "I lack the talent to create something actually funny or interesting so I'll just make it embarrasing instead" ala the american Office. Combined with the "I lack the ability to make interesting characters so I'll just make them terrible hurr hurr hurr" of Always Sunny but without the skill of AS.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Guys how come sizes...SIZES...are never the same. It is a measurement...how can you change that up?

I assume it's so they can manipulate how you perceive yourself. Maybe assign a small to something that might be a medium most times and it'll make somebody feel good?

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Aww the marriage on Parks and Rec was adorbs

WAY TO SPOIL IT FOR ME SENJUTSU

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

I assume it's so they can manipulate how you perceive yourself. Maybe assign a small to something that might be a medium most times and it'll make somebody feel good?

Or make me wear a medium when I normally wear a small and then what am I?!

• Options
    Modern Family is just as bad, IMO. I mean, the stereotypes are maybe a little more muted but neither show is good by any stretch.

Well, they are comedies. No character is allowed to be unstereotypical in a comedy. They all have to have exaggerated personality traits to build comedy on.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options

Well, they are comedies. No character is allowed to be unstereotypical in a comedy. They all have to have exaggerated personality traits to build comedy on.

you are confusing shitty comedy with all comedy

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I like shows about people realizing they are just the worst

And saying funny things while doing so

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    When I'm rich I'm going to get a soda fountain for my apartment, except instead of soda it'll be different types of bourbon.
    And the ice dispenser will give cocaine.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options

Don't tell me you think Arrested Development's characters are realistic.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

You are confusing spastic outrage with taste

• Options

Don't tell me you think Arrested Development's characters are realistic.

There are more options available to a decent writer than "realisitic" and "stereotype".

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Their exaggerated personality traits aren't license to just rely on lazy and tired stereotypes (gay people, immigrants) to attempt laughs that weren't really funny ever. Also I'm glad doc style is finally dying out.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I bought a dress shirt the other day

Dude measured my neck and was like "17 ... does that sound familiar?"

And I was like ... you're the one with the tape measure?

• Options
    AD's characters are not as grossly exaggerated as the worst comedies tend to devolve to, but they are definitely archetypes or stereotypes which are manipulated for comedic effect. And it works.

• Options
    My issue isnt with archetypes, it's with stereotypes. Playing off of archetypes requires some knowledge, depth and understanding in order to manipulate and subvert traits, both for comedic and dramatic effect. Stereotypes are just "oh my god gay people love clothes" or "foreign people talk funny"

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I bought a dress shirt the other day

Dude measured my neck and was like "17 ... does that sound familiar?"

And I was like ... you're the one with the tape measure?

Seriously clothing companies need to standardize their shit sensibly.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Gonna see babby tomorrow

Gonna drink in a cheap pub tomorrow

Not at the same time!

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Got approached at a bar! Confidence boost

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    "oh my god gay people love clothes" or "foreign people talk funny"

to be fair,

• Options
    My issue isnt with archetypes, it's with stereotypes. Playing off of archetypes requires some knowledge, depth and understanding in order to manipulate and subvert traits, both for comedic and dramatic effect. Stereotypes are just "oh my god gay people love clothes" or "foreign people talk funny"

I dunno, what you're saying just makes me think of standup comedy and how their anecdotes tap into and exploit our preconceived notions of how people behave. And it's possible for that to be done with finesse, and it can be funny.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    @NEXUSCRAWLER AND I both got our 10th anniversary badges yesterday (feb 22nd)

I forgot, I kind of wanted to make a big deal about it too

oh well

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

I dunno, what you're saying just makes me think of standup comedy and how their anecdotes tap into and exploit our preconceived notions of how people behave. And it's possible for that to be done with finesse, and it can be funny.

Sure. It can't be funny.

My issue is that in most modern sitcoms it is...well...not done with finesse. It is not funny.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    @NEXUSCRAWLER AND I both got our 10th anniversary badges yesterday (feb 22nd)

I forgot, I kind of wanted to make a big deal about it too

oh well

You old fucks

I'm getting my 8th next month.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    And it's not last call!

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    What I'm saying is that gay people like more than fancy clothes. They like musicals too.

This discussion has been closed.