As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Antilago[chat]ic

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    "Dualism, Descartes theory that the mind and body are two separate and distinct entities has been the leading theory for many years."

/written in 1648

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    new avatar!

it shall endure
    Really? Ivory Tower?

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Thanatos wrote: »
    new avatar!

it shall endure
    Really? Ivory Tower?

too on the nose?

Also, it's great when they not only include useless fluff in their papers, but also get it wrong. Like "famed British philosophical thinker Alan Turing..."

In terms of what Alan Turing is famed for, "philosophical thinker" is way down the list (which is not to say that his article is bad, but rather, an interesting but somewhat lightweight contribution to philosophy of mind tends to get outweighed by "towering mathematical figure" and "war hero.")

MrMister on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    I was out at a party last night that ended up at a karaoke bar, where I came across the best version of "My Way" I've ever drunkenly heard. Turns out the singer is a professional chorister for the queen

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Ok. I now have a Windows PC for the first time in like 10 years. What programmes are essential and I should download straight away?

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Ok. I now have a Windows PC for the first time in like 10 years. What programmes are essential and I should download straight away?

mIRC, CChat, Spider Solitaire and well, that is about all I ever use

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

google chrome, system shock 2

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    new avatar!

it shall endure
    Really? Ivory Tower?

A constant source of life gain is no bad thing.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Playing Mann vs Robot TF2 in pubbie servers can be butts sometimes. Either we've got two spies and two scouts or people ragequit after losing a few times dooming the team to failure.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Someone posted a picture of two women playing what appears to be a soccer game in their underwear

I have never had a kneejerk reaction of "dat ass" before but

But, uh: Dat. Ass.

And I don't mean that in a "omg so hot" way, I mean it in a "holy shit that exists?" way

Apparently not only is Miranda's ass physically possible, it can be exceeded

You realise posting about this without providing a link for those of us too lazy to search makes you a bad person, right?

@Casual

Fine but you've been warned

Prooobably NSFW

Miranda butt

@HappylilElf

shopped.

• Options

@BobCesca

here is all the first time windows install stuff you will ever need in one place

Mostly i would just get MS security essentials, MBAM, Gtalk, Libre office, win rar ect

but just trawl through the list and check whatever you think you'll need then it put it all in one simple installer for you

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I am so looking forward to taking a poop later.

I think I'm almost done being sick!

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Hoo-ray for finishing assignments two hours before they're due.
    Economic structuralism and the English school are two of the alternative explanations for international relations. Economic structuralism holds that it is the uneven and unfair nature of the international economic system that keeps some states very wealthy, and stifles development by others; key theorists of economic structuralism include Karl Marx, John Hobson, Vladimir Lenin, Rosa Luxemberg, and Antonio Gramsci. The English school proposes a middle way between the potentially simplistic power-based concerns of classical realism and the purported idealism of liberalism; its key theorists were Hugo Grotius, Immanuel Kant, and E.H. Carr.
    The first core assumption of economic structuralism is that understanding the international system (the “structure”) is critical to explaining the relative position of states in terms of political and economic power. Economic structuralists would argue that it is the global context in which states find themselves that narrows and shapes their options, and that this context is shaped for them by the forces of global capitalism.
    The second core assumption of economic structuralism is the preeminence of historical analysis in the explanation of why things are the way they are. These theorists look to both recent and earlier history to map the trajectory of the current system, with an emphasis on the role of power dynamics through history, and especially on the effects of global capitalism and imperialism.
    The third assumption of economic structuralism is that certain relationships and modes of interaction have developed between states that maintain relationships of imbalance and disproportionate power dynamics. One such explanation would be “world systems theory,” which posits that states can be divided into three categories – core, semi-periphery, and periphery – based on their level of economic development. This categorization and system of relations keeps developed and semi-developed states in a privileged position relative to the periphery states.
    Finally, economic structuralists maintain that economic and material circumstances are the primary factors in considering the relative positions of states in the international system. Karl Marx in particular paints a picture of history predicated on relationships of dominance based on the technological context of the time; it begins with the master-slave relationship during the agrarian period, the nobility-serf relationship in the feudal period, and the capital-labor relationship following the Industrial Revolution.
    Several key thinkers have had an impact on the development of economic structuralism. Karl Marx was perhaps the first thinker to have formally consolidated and postulated a formalized system in which one group gained dominance over another based on material power or status. John A. Hobson’s contribution, though he would not be called a Marxist per se, centered on formalizing the notion that imperialism is a natural consequence of capitalism. Lenin’s contribution was an understanding that competition for overseas markets naturally led to war among the imperial powers. Gramsci’s primary contribution may have been his formal identification of an “historical bloc” which favored maintenance of the status-quo, thus serving the interests of powerful elites.
    The English school is not quite as radical or pessimistic in its outlook as economic structuralism. Its first core assumption is that though it is anarchical, the international system can be understood as a society that accepts certain common norms and rules as a matter of enlightened self-interest. By this the English school refers to mutually beneficial norms and customs that serve the interests of all involved, and which states have come to expect from one another. These norms may not have formal powers of compulsion over states, but they do serve to pattern their behavior.
    The second core assumption of the English school is that these unwritten norms and customs form a kind of order among states with no formal sovereign above them. The acceptance of these unwritten norms stems to some degree from the traditional balance of power among them, but mainly from the realization that if states are to have long-term relations among themselves, that it is in their self-interest to observe certain ground rules.
    The final assumption of the English school is that within international society is the potential for gradual idealistic change. English school theorists believe that given the development of certain common norms and customs among states thus far in international history, that there exists the potential for further progression of these customs which may eventually lead to the full realization of true Kantian cosmopolitanism.
    The key theorists linked to the English school that are discussed in the text are Hugo Grotius, Immanuel Kant, and E.H. Carr. Grotius’s main contribution to the development of the English school was the earliest formalization of the notion that it is in states’ individual interest to work together to achieve some semblance of international order, and that this order was in the states’ own interest. Immanuel Kant is widely credited with the exultation of pure idealism in place of pragmatic political concerns; a somewhat moderated version of this view is noticeable in the English school. E.H. Carr’s contribution came in the form of criticism of both purely realist and purely liberal explanations of international relations, which created a need for a more robust, less dogmatic explanation of global politics.

• Options
    yaaaaaaaay pooping!

• Options
    Someone posted a picture of two women playing what appears to be a soccer game in their underwear

And I don't mean that in a "omg so hot" way, I mean it in a "holy shit that exists?" way

You realise posting about this without providing a link for those of us too lazy to search makes you a bad person, right?

@Casual

Prooobably NSFW

Miranda butt

@HappylilElf

shopped.

I'm as big a fan of ass as anyone, but those waists + those asses is just... like that seems structurally unsound, even.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Good morning!

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Somebody help me think of a way to say "cuddling here in bed is nice and all but could we get up soon so i can go home and play xcom" that isn't saying that

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    grr world-systems

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Hamurabi wrote: »

@Casual

Prooobably NSFW

Miranda butt

@HappylilElf

shopped.

I'm as big a fan of ass as anyone, but those waists + those asses is just... like that seems structurally unsound, even.

the one on the right just looks fake

those don't look like proportions you would see on an actual human

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Somebody help me think of a way to say "cuddling here in bed is nice and all but could we get up soon so i can go home and play xcom" that isn't saying that

Offer to make breakfast

During which you ask what her plans are for the day

You are supposed to meet a friend later when she asks you

• Options
    "The mind is a complex entity that has been discussed in detail to be described, quantified and materialized for centuries. To create a definition for this unknown matter of what is the mind, models and tests of the mind have proposed to define it. A.M Turing focused himself to the topic of mind through the ability to think."

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    grr world-systems

The devout contrarian in me likes the idea, but I can think of too many exceptions to really get behind it.

Do you know @ronya, I've been meaning to ask you: do you actually see very many Marxist/structuralist econ grad students? I feel like, for obvious reasons, those dudes only exist in The Academy. We have a guy here at FIU named Ronald Cox, whom I confused with Robert Cox -- on the PowerPoint slides for my IPE class, he was credited as "R. Cox" -- and for a couple of minutes I was like "Oh man oh man a real live Marxist is here at my school. Does the President know about this??"

@Casual

Prooobably NSFW

Miranda butt

@HappylilElf

shopped.

Living in Miami, I have seen My Share of Nice Butts, but that just looks... like assuming that's not a Photoshop, she must have back problems like whoa.

• Options

make a fake ringing noise with your mouth then make a show of picking up your phone and say,

"hi, yes mum it's me, WHAT?!? YOU FELL DOWN SOME STAIRS YOU SAY?!?! IN HOSPITAL YOU SAY?!?!? I'LL BE RIGHT THERE!!"

then leap out of bed and start flinging on clothes an be all "sry babe i gotta go!"

then dash out the door without another word

make sure you don't stop running until you're out of sight of the building

• Options
    grr world-systems

The devout contrarian in me likes the idea, but I can think of too many exceptions to really get behind it.

Do you know @ronya, I've been meaning to ask you: do you actually see very many Marxist/structuralist econ grad students? I feel like, for obvious reasons, those dudes only exist in The Academy. We have a guy here at FIU named Ronald Cox, whom I confused with Robert Cox -- on the PowerPoint slides for my IPE class, he was credited as "R. Cox" -- and for a couple of minutes I was like "Oh man oh man a real live Marxist is here at my school. Does the President know about this??"

@Casual

Prooobably NSFW

Miranda butt

@HappylilElf

shopped.

Living in Miami, I have seen My Share of Nice Butts, but that just looks... like assuming that's not a Photoshop, she must have back problems like whoa.

the greatest extent of her arse goes out like 10 inches further than the small of her back

• Options
    "If a machine did in fact pass the Turing test the conclusion that Turing would say is the evidence is sufficient to enough that the machine can in fact, think."

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

Offer to make breakfast

During which you ask what her plans are for the day

You are supposed to meet a friend later when she asks you

This is a very good idea. But i already know her plans for the day.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    "If a machine did in fact pass the Turing test the conclusion that Turing would say is the evidence is sufficient to enough that the machine can in fact, think."

This sentence wouldn't pass the Turing test.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

@BobCesca

here is all the first time windows install stuff you will ever need in one place

Mostly i would just get MS security essentials, MBAM, Gtalk, Libre office, win rar ect

but just trawl through the list and check whatever you think you'll need then it put it all in one simple installer for you

Maybe the Combined Commuity Codex Pack if you want to watch videos, and GIMP if you want a good image editing tool. You'll still, basically, need iTunes if you have an iOS device.

If it is windows 8, there are some free Start Menu programs you might want to look at.

That's covers you for security, IM, Word processing, playing basically any media, and doing stuff to photos. Anything else you are need? You can do pretty much anything you can imagine for free on a PC.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Last day in the wilds of Scotland.

Today will be spent taking stuff to the tip and then recovering from said taking of stuff.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Oh my god this paper

"The fact that a machine is being considered to be a thinking thing is a false statement."

wrap your brain around that zen koan

MrMister on
  • Options
    Sparvy wrote: »

"to enough" was where I totally lost it and laughed out loud

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Of my more minor superpowers is the one that when i take my socks off with my feet i can pair them together so that theyre easier to locate later

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Sparvy wrote: »

"to enough" was where I totally lost it and laughed out loud

I thought the comma at the end was pretty fantastic. Innovative even.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    grr world-systems

There are allegedly some at my college, but I've never met them. I mean, there's the usual coterie of people who self-proclaimed Marxists, but actual students of it are the stuff of legend.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Aw jeez, just finished grading it and saw who wrote it. Totally nice guy, seems to be trying. Probably gonna take it pretty hard (this is definitely a D paper).

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I imagine the student going:

"Hmm this sentence doesn't look good at all. Maybe if I put a comma in somewhere it won't look so incoherent.

Yeah, thats better."

Sparvy on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    @hamurabi

are long-wave business cycles a thing in your course? kondratieff, kuznets, juglar, etc.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    I think the intellectual descendants of Marxism are still alive as theories of history in, well, history, archaeology and etc. departments.

This discussion has been closed.