As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Antilago[chat]ic

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think we're about five months behind the US on the release date, but Coud Atlas is pretty fucking good you guys. Well worth seeing.

I heard only very average responses, but maybe this is worth a look.

Good even without having read the book?

I found Cloud Atlas extremely predictable, and well, cramming 6 time periods into one movie doesn't really give you an opportunity to approach an old idea in a new and interesting way.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I thought the book suffered from having some time periods be wildly more interesting than others. I also find this is almost always a problem with "multiple disconnected but parallel thread" storylines in general.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The irony of what is happening in the NCAA thread is delicious.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    That GoT trailer was pretty legit. Good to see Joffrey is still a little *censored*.

I am excited for March 31st. That's also when DW comes back, how will I cope?!

Come now, Raven. There's only one censored word on these forums. And you have so many wonderful ones to choose from.

It was that word.

well, I was mostly trying to be funny. If you don't like the c-word, I understand.

That isn't the banned word here, though. That one starts with n.

I am still pissed that it isn't the standard word in English.

how do you mean?

I am under the impression that all permutations of the n-word are banned, from slang spellings to standard. Is that not correct?

or is that not what you're talking about?

Tamin

I am talking about cunt here, which is a better word than vagina for a whole host of reasons. Etymologically it's better and less dumb, also vagina is infuriating because it refers to a specific channel rather than the reproductive stuff as a whole, and so on.

...yeah. I'm really pissed that it's a dirty word because I dislike the word vagina even if the plural vaginae is amusing.

@Shivahn

Oh, gotcha.

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Marx's prescriptions for social organization (and, hey, his labor theory of value) are separable from his theory of history. You don't have to think communism is the way forward or that capital is theft in order to benefit from examining social forces and explaining social change, past and present, in terms of the organization of society with respect to the means of production.

That's not entirely true. The predictions that a theory makes are part of the theory (the most important part!). He wasn't saying, 'here are the forces that shape history, and now here's what we should do', but 'here are the forces that shape history, and the result of that will be'.

Though small h, m historical materialism is pretty appealing, as far as theories of history go.

Marx was confused about a lot of things, including his predictions, which is why modern standard bearers have to amend the theory. And, contra Popper, being amended by modern standard-bearers in response to refuted predictions does not ipso facto render a theory bankrupt.

I make no claims about bankruptcy, and I'm no student of marxist theories, past or present. Just disputing the notion that the predictions that a theory makes are separable from the theory. Sure you can amend a theory to make new predictions using the same framework, but it's now a slightly (or very) different theory, and you can only fail to produce successful predictions so many times before you start to wonder what good the framework is doing you.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    That GoT trailer was pretty legit. Good to see Joffrey is still a little *censored*.

Come now, Raven. There's only one censored word on these forums. And you have so many wonderful ones to choose from.

It was that word.

well, I was mostly trying to be funny. If you don't like the c-word, I understand.

how do you mean?

I am under the impression that all permutations of the n-word are banned, from slang spellings to standard. Is that not correct?

Tamin

I am talking about cunt here, which is a better word than vagina for a whole host of reasons. Etymologically it's better and less dumb, also vagina is infuriating because it refers to a specific channel rather than the reproductive stuff as a whole, and so on.

...yeah. I'm really pissed that it's a dirty word because I dislike the word vagina even if the plural vaginae is amusing.

@Shivahn

Oh, gotcha.

vagina is clinical and gross sounding and cunt is too rude

i like my local slang word for it, "fud" just rolls off the tongue :P

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    @mrmister

I'm really recycling popper's objection to marx here, albeit in the specific sense of the neoclassical alternative

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Marx's prescriptions for social organization (and, hey, his labor theory of value) are separable from his theory of history. You don't have to think communism is the way forward or that capital is theft in order to benefit from examining social forces and explaining social change, past and present, in terms of the organization of society with respect to the means of production.

That's not entirely true. The predictions that a theory makes are part of the theory (the most important part!). He wasn't saying, 'here are the forces that shape history, and now here's what we should do', but 'here are the forces that shape history, and the result of that will be'.

Though small h, m historical materialism is pretty appealing, as far as theories of history go.

Marx was confused about a lot of things, including his predictions, which is why modern standard bearers have to amend the theory. And, contra Popper, being amended by modern standard-bearers in response to refuted predictions does not ipso facto render a theory bankrupt.

I make no claims about bankruptcy, and I'm no student of marxist theories, past or present. Just disputing the notion that the predictions that a theory makes are separable from the theory. Sure you can amend a theory to make new predictions using the same framework, but it's now a slightly (or very) different theory, and you can only fail to produce successful predictions so many times before you start to wonder what good the framework is doing you.

I'm pretty fine with all of this.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I should see if, as a staff member, I have access to JSTOR and EBSCO articles. If so I should refine my essays from last year.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »
    @mrmister

I'm really recycling popper's objection to marx here, albeit in the specific sense of the neoclassical alternative

As a general matter of philosophy of science, Popper's objections to Marx are somewhat naive. If we rejected (rather than amended) any social science theory which made a false prediction, we would not have any social science. It's unclear whether we would even have any physical science under that standard. And, in any case, to the extent that they stick to the actual Marx (as he is quoted being deliberately obtuse), the actual Marx is dispensable to the theory in the same way that the actual Plato need not hang over Platonist mathematics.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    maybe today- to shake things up a little bit from all the times i try to get someone to suck my dick- i will try and suck a dick. gotta keep life fresh and exciting.

• Options
    tumblr_mio12nRjR01rboqfio1_500.jpg

I would give this student full fucking credit for this answer.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    maybe today- to shake things up a little bit from all the times i try to get someone to suck my dick- i will try and suck a dick. gotta keep life fresh and exciting.

Be careful, you wouldn't want to go from bi-curious to bi-furious.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    @mrmister

As a general matter of philosophy of science, Popper's objections to Marx are somewhat naive. If we rejected (rather than amended) any social science theory which made a false prediction, we would not have any social science. It's unclear whether we would even have any physical science under that standard. And, in any case, to the extent that they stick to the actual Marx (as he is quoted being deliberately obtuse), the actual Marx is dispensable to the theory in the same way that the actual Plato need not hang over Platonist mathematics.

well, yes. but if you are willing to tear into the classical economic framework that underpins marx, there is very little reason not to simply follow the people who already did exactly that and arrived, after half a century, at the neoclassical framework. the alternative research pathway that was marx should have died there and then

now neoclassical econ suffers from a vast array of falsifiability problems (to say the least), but it at least already sharply penalizes a certain kind of just-so story, where everything you like is Oppressed and everything you dislike is the Oppressor. and it obliges some rigour about concepts, so "exploitation" becomes "difference between marginal productivity and wages" and "globalization" becomes "equalization in factor prices" - rather than, say, a black box into which one shoves all of one's pet hatreds.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    EMMERDOODS!

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Here's a Metal Gear Solid/Rising question for which the answer might contain slight Metal Gear Solid 4 spoilers...
    Didn't Raiden have white blood in MGS4? I didn't really... play that game... Don't know where I got that he had white blood, but... didn't he?

Anyone know?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think we're about five months behind the US on the release date, but Coud Atlas is pretty fucking good you guys. Well worth seeing.

Not sure. I was able to fill in some blanks having read the book, but the wife liked it as well. She heard a gaggle of ladies in the loo who sounded as though they were on less solid ground.

"Hmmm, that was a lot to take in, and not really what i was expecting. Did you like it?"

"I think so."

I think it's taken some stick because it is, at heart, a fairly sincere appeal for people to be nicer to each other (as the book is), but it doesn't have the room to go into it in as much depth, so it ends up leaning a little more heavily on getting the message across via emotion. It's still hugely ambitious, and feels, to these tired old eyes, like an attempt at something different and new.

Its flawed, and Tom Hanks has trouble with some accents, but its worth it just to hear him call someone a cunt.

• Options
    Actually I want @Mazzyx to see that when he wakes up ^my last^

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

This same thought has gone through my head in the past few months.

I mean...

Hey [chat]. Good morning! What's going on?

• Options
    I am suitably impressed by a question sheet quizzing for answers on the colombian civil war, and leaving an inch and a half of space within which to answer

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    I am suitably impressed by a question sheet quizzing for answers on the colombian civil war, and leaving an inch and a half of space within which to answer

Don't you know? Soundbites are the soul of wit.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    @mrmister

As I understand it, Popper's criticism of marxism isn't that it produced false predictions, but that core assertions that it makes are unfalsifiable.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    I do really like the sentiment there, if Colombia can't figure it out neither can you.

However, it is hard to tell whether that is a glib response based in deep searching of souls and into the darker recesses of neoliberalism or if the student just couldn't be fucked to think for a bit.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I thought the book suffered from having some time periods be wildly more interesting than others. I also find this is almost always a problem with "multiple disconnected but parallel thread" storylines in general.

I dunno if this is a problem, or just a natural result of the style. Same deal with Hyperion. Each story is written in a different idiom, and some are going to love the noir detective story and some are going to feel more connected to the crisis of faith the priest undergoes. And when each thread is only 80 pages long it isn't a problem that cripples the book unless you really can't bear to read the Ursula Le Guin far future story, or find your teeth grind uncontrollably at the Kingsley Amis old bugger in an old people's home.

• Options
    edited February 2013

I found Cloud Atlas extremely predictable, and well, cramming 6 time periods into one movie doesn't really give you an opportunity to approach an old idea in a new and interesting way.

I think cramming six time periods into one film is approaching an old idea in a new and interesting way. Since the whole thing is an argument for the interconnectedness of us all, showing how that works across time as well as across culture is an entirely pleasing way of looking at things.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Casual wrote: »

It was that word.

how do you mean?

Tamin

@Shivahn

Oh, gotcha.

vagina is clinical and gross sounding and cunt is too rude

i like my local slang word for it, "fud" just rolls off the tongue :P

I like 'nunny', said in Sarah Millican's voice.

• Options
    @mrmister

well, yes. but if you are willing to tear into the classical economic framework that underpins marx, there is very little reason not to simply follow the people who already did exactly that and arrived, after half a century, at the neoclassical framework. the alternative research pathway that was marx should have died there and then

now neoclassical econ suffers from a vast array of falsifiability problems (to say the least), but it at least already sharply penalizes a certain kind of just-so story, where everything you like is Oppressed and everything you dislike is the Oppressor. and it obliges some rigour about concepts, so "exploitation" becomes "difference between marginal productivity and wages" and "globalization" becomes "equalization in factor prices" - rather than, say, a black box into which one shoves all of one's pet hatreds.

I'm sure there are many annoying Marxists, but I don't know that they have to be. Hearing this person explain to me e.g. changes in the Roman system of agricultural production and the way those both imposed on political ideology and forced social changes, it didn't seem important to the explanatory value of what was being said that any particular person was or was not being oppressed. I mean, you might add to the story that the slaves organized in the plantation system were oppressed, but that would be window dressing.

But, as I said, I am not myself "wrist-deep" in any of these debates and so not situated as to produce expert commentary.

• Options
    @mrmister

As I understand it, Popper's criticism of marxism isn't that it produced false predictions, but that core assertions that it makes are unfalsifiable.

He makes both accusations, iirc.

• Options
    @mrmister

I'm sure there are many annoying Marxists, but I don't know that they have to be. Hearing this person explain to me e.g. changes in the Roman system of agricultural production and the way those both imposed on political ideology and forced social changes, it didn't seem important to the explanatory value of what was being said that any particular person was or was not being oppressed. I mean, you might add to the story that the slaves organized in the plantation system were oppressed, but that would be window dressing.

But, as I said, I am not myself "wrist-deep" in any of these debates and so not situated as to produce expert commentary.

now I am curious as to whether anyone has gone and tried to apply NIE to those contexts. the two literatures seem to emerge from schools of thought that don't talk to each other

but yes, in my own fields of interest, I am more likely to encounter Marxists of the annoying "shoo, get out of my 20th century development econ" variety

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    @mrmister

now I am curious as to whether anyone has gone and tried to apply NIE to those contexts. the two literatures seem to emerge from schools of thought that don't talk to each other

but yes, in my own fields of interest, I am more likely to encounter Marxists of the annoying "shoo, get out of my 20th century development econ" variety

While I find Marxist thought to be eminently useful in both history and literature, I have found that they have a higher likelihood of being annoying as hell, and exactly as one might expect a caricature of such a person to be.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The second episode of Black Mirror was deeply disturbing.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    @mrmister

While I find Marxist thought to be eminently useful in both history and literature, I have found that they have a higher likelihood of being annoying as hell, and exactly as one might expect a caricature of such a person to be.

they are probably less annoying when the underlying topic is only very distantly related to modern political hot-buttons

at that point, I suppose it is more useful to talk about the relative merits of "start with a production function, and derive the implied social classes and dynamics" and "start with the social classes, and derive the dynamics"

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Flag protests still going on. :|

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

I think cramming six time periods into one film is approaching an old idea in a new and interesting way. Since the whole thing is an argument for the interconnectedness of us all, showing how that works across time as well as across culture is an entirely pleasing way of looking at things.

Yeah except the narrative undermines itself by that exact thing:
    Every time period repeats the same issues over and over and over. Far from being interconnected, every single victory was undone except on the tiniest of scales.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    So mrs Deebaser turns to me in bed and says "your parents are coming over. We should wake up, take showers, and pick up fruit/bagels.

So I get up.
    Take a shower.
    Get dressed.
    Go back the bedroom.
    SHE'S STILL IN BED
    So I ask, "babe... You coming?"
    To which replies with a closed eye smile "Gooby pls"

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Deebaser wrote: »
    So mrs Deebaser turns to me in bed and says "your parents are coming over. We should wake up, take showers, and pick up fruit/bagels.

So I get up.
    Take a shower.
    Get dressed.
    Go back the bedroom.
    SHE'S STILL IN BED

ah, the ol' sly saturday slapjob

i've been victim to it many a time

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

So I get up.
    Take a shower.
    Get dressed.
    Go back the bedroom.
    SHE'S STILL IN BED

Marry that woman.

Wait ...

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I've got plenty of criticisms of Cloud Atlas, but I think it's a movie worth seeing.
    problems include but are not limited to:

Tom Hanks attempting both a Scots and an Irish accent while under prosthetics.
    The lawyer on the boat being insensible for most of the film means his later about face on slavery lacks weight, because we don't know him very well.
    No one in the SF future smiles or laughs.
    Having the same actors in each story works on some levels but it is also a conceit that draws attention to itself.

Bogart on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

So I get up.
    Take a shower.
    Get dressed.
    Go back the bedroom.
    SHE'S STILL IN BED

Marry that woman.

Wait ...

Hw i knw is nt Dolan?

This discussion has been closed.