As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Antilago[chat]ic

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    no but seriously dee, less posting, more honeydew melon and onion bagels

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Phone posting chu, I'm almost there

• Options
    man now i want some smoked salmon

fuck this world

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Bogart wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I think we're about five months behind the US on the release date, but Coud Atlas is pretty fucking good you guys. Well worth seeing.

I heard only very average responses, but maybe this is worth a look.

Good even without having read the book?

I found Cloud Atlas extremely predictable, and well, cramming 6 time periods into one movie doesn't really give you an opportunity to approach an old idea in a new and interesting way.

I think cramming six time periods into one film is approaching an old idea in a new and interesting way. Since the whole thing is an argument for the interconnectedness of us all, showing how that works across time as well as across culture is an entirely pleasing way of looking at things.

Yeah except the narrative undermines itself by that exact thing:
    Every time period repeats the same issues over and over and over. Far from being interconnected, every single victory was undone except on the tiniest of scales.

I don't see it like that at all.
    The victories were not undone, they just need to be won again and again, and each victory was another brick in the wall of the next victory. The victory is not that the enemy is vanquished forever, it is that the enemy is vanquished for now and we go on a bit further, living, free. The enemy does not win because it rises again: it wins when we are extinct through our own selfishness.

It's laid out in the book even more plainly, I think. The devil takes the hindmost lasts only as long until the foremost is the hindmost, and then we're all dead.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    morning folks

• Options
    I need these people when I move

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LakMmxg_sQg

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    morning folks

Come here and carry me on your back to the places I need to go, please!

Also good morning!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    morning folks

Also good morning!

when my son starts listening maybe

• Options
    hmmm looking for prepaid solutions that offer me data... have an unlocked gsm phone so can go att or tmobile

att i can do 25 bucks a month for unlimited texting, 250 minutes, and then 5 bux for 50mb, 15 bux for 200mb

tmobile i can do 30 bucks a month for unlimited texting and unlimited data, but 100 minutes

*glare*

• Options
    morning folks

Also good morning!

when my son starts listening maybe

Don't make him do it

I'm pretty heavy!

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    hmmm looking for prepaid solutions that offer me data... have an unlocked gsm phone so can go att or tmobile

att i can do 25 bucks a month for unlimited texting, 250 minutes, and then 5 bux for 50mb, 15 bux for 200mb

tmobile i can do 30 bucks a month for unlimited texting and unlimited data, but 100 minutes

*glare*

Be a proper 20-something

Never use your phone as a phone

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Holy shit Broar, I would pay so much money for that.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

*glare*

Be a proper 20-something

Never use your phone as a phone

Nah.

Go with T-Mobile unlimited data.

Google Voice.

VoIP + SIP = calls over data.

Plus, you can use wifi and even avoid that.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I think we're about five months behind the US on the release date, but Coud Atlas is pretty fucking good you guys. Well worth seeing.

I found Cloud Atlas extremely predictable, and well, cramming 6 time periods into one movie doesn't really give you an opportunity to approach an old idea in a new and interesting way.

I think cramming six time periods into one film is approaching an old idea in a new and interesting way. Since the whole thing is an argument for the interconnectedness of us all, showing how that works across time as well as across culture is an entirely pleasing way of looking at things.

Every time period repeats the same issues over and over and over. Far from being interconnected, every single victory was undone except on the tiniest of scales.

The victories were not undone, they just need to be won again and again, and each victory was another brick in the wall of the next victory. The victory is not that the enemy is vanquished forever, it is that the enemy is vanquished for now and we go on a bit further, living, free. The enemy does not win because it rises again: it wins when we are extinct through our own selfishness.

It's laid out in the book even more plainly, I think. The devil takes the hindmost lasts only as long until the foremost is the hindmost, and then we're all dead.

Except, every single oppressor:
    goes on that "there is a natural order to things and those who brook it do not do so for long" spiel. And they're right, because in every new time period it seems apparent that the oppressors have been doing their thing for a while now and are considered the norm again.

My general problem is it's such a boring narrative in that regard: it's easy to be on the side of right when you've made it night and day as to who's being wronged. The far more interesting question is how do we get there (or back there) in the first place.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    @hamurabi

are long-wave business cycles a thing in your course? kondratieff, kuznets, juglar, etc.

The closest approximation I can get to whatever the hell you're taking about is how Ricardian specialize-and-trade is good in an infinitely iterative Game Theory model. This is an undergrad IPE course that I'm required to take.

This shit is not rocket surgery, @ronya

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular

goes on that "there is a natural order to things and those who brook it do not do so for long" spiel. And they're right, because in every new time period it seems apparent that the oppressors have been doing their thing for a while now and are considered the norm again.

My general problem is it's such a boring narrative in that regard: it's easy to be on the side of right when you've made it night and day as to who's being wronged. The far more interesting question is how do we get there (or back there) in the first place.

In class right meow, so I can't go on at full length, but...

A Marxist reading of Cloud Atlas did not occur to me after one viewing, but now that you've brought it up I absolutely love it!

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    @hamurabi

are long-wave business cycles a thing in your course? kondratieff, kuznets, juglar, etc.

The closest approximation I can get to whatever the hell you're taking about is how Ricardian specialize-and-trade is good in an infinitely iterative Game Theory model. This is an undergrad IPE course that I'm required to take.

This shit is not rocket surgery, @ronya

ah never mind then

the long-wave stuff is basically theories of regular surges and slowdowns in economic growth, unrelated to domestic policy; it is required to make some kinds of international trade theories consistent with growth evidence

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    (it's also very, very transparently epicyclic in nature - there are more proposed cycles than datapoints. its invocation is a sign that things are going badly wrong)

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Rooting, not as easy as I'd hoped.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Applicants who type only in lower-case letters, or entirely in upper case, are less likely to repay loans, other factors being equal, says Douglas Merrill, founder of ZestFinance, an American online lender whose default rate is roughly 40% lower than that of a typical payday lender. [The efforts of Neo, a start-up that assesses the creditworthiness of car-loan applicants] to improve accuracy include recording borrowers’ Facebook data: Mr Bathija reckons that within a year there will be enough evidence to determine if making racist comments on Facebook is correlated with a lack of creditworthiness.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »

it seems to have gotten harder with the post-gingerbread wave of phones

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

I have an old one, but I think there's something in the early instructions that I'm not catching.

HTC Hero, CDMA.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Applicants who type only in lower-case letters, or entirely in upper case, are less likely to repay loans, other factors being equal, says Douglas Merrill, founder of ZestFinance, an American online lender whose default rate is roughly 40% lower than that of a typical payday lender. [The efforts of Neo, a start-up that assesses the creditworthiness of car-loan applicants] to improve accuracy include recording borrowers’ Facebook data: Mr Bathija reckons that within a year there will be enough evidence to determine if making racist comments on Facebook is correlated with a lack of creditworthiness.

Ahahaha.

I love this.

There is no part of this which isn't amazing.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    It's amazing until people that have facebook accounts without racism get a better rate than people without facebook accounts. Right up until that point, it's amazing. After that it's pretty lame.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    man i don't wanna be productive today but i really should

sig.gif
  • Options
    puppies i wrote you a note

you'll be receiving it soon

you will find its contents objectionable

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I once had someone I was dating tell me that people who don't have facebook accounts are untrustworthy - if you don't have a facebook account you are more likely to be engaged in cheating or having multiple lives or something.

Basically, if you aren't airing all your shit for public consumption than you are probably a bad person.

I fucking hate where society is going.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    puppies i wrote you a note

you'll be receiving it soon

you will find its contents objectionable

jokes on u i never get my mail

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    syndalis wrote: »
    I once had someone I was dating tell me that people who don't have facebook accounts are untrustworthy - if you don't have a facebook account you are more likely to be engaged in cheating or having multiple lives or something.

Basically, if you aren't airing all your shit for public consumption than you are probably a bad person.

This is just the modern version of "someone who doesn't drink is hiding something."

Basically if you're not the same as everyone else it is for duplicitous reasons.

• Options
    edited February 2013

As to the first point, no, they're not right.
    That's just the justification for their placing themselves on top every chance they get. One might as well say the natural order was for those who try to set themselves up over others to be overthrown or beaten, because that happens as well. Not to mention that the natural order they're talking about is a different one every time run on different justifications (whites over blacks, pure over fabricant), and the only real constant is that those who are willing to treat people as things may prosper, for a time. And that Hugo Weaving is a bastard, of course. All their natural orders are proven to be false.

I'd disagree with the second point as well. I don't really see the story of how assholes came to power to be intrinsically more interesting, to be honest. Good men did nothing. The interesting thing is what good men may do to throw them down again.

I think one of the things I liked most about the movie is that, like the book, it is essentially optimistic. It is neither utopian nor dystopian, in that the perfect society never comes about, but neither does the endless night of a boot stamping on a human face, forever.

Bogart on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Though the Facebook one is dumber because I basically have to deal with privacy hell to choose whether I want to come out to everyone or have two separate accounts or basically keep my current one until it becomes fake and so on.

Fucking people.

• Options
    Anyway, I am off out to to reaffirm the natural order of Scotland losing at rugby.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

I have an old one, but I think there's something in the early instructions that I'm not catching.

HTC Hero, CDMA.

Where are you getting stuck?

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    edit: nevermind, wrong link

TL DR on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

what phone is it? Oneclickroot not working?

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »

I tend to forget the names of people I'm not friends with on Facebook.

They're basically unpeople to me.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    It's a payday lender, so all other things being equal I'd just as soon they all died in a freak bus accident.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    revengeance is the deepest and most subtle game of all time, with pitch-perfect dialogue and a sumo battle with an american senator

wait what

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.