As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Antilago[chat]ic

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    my wife has opened negotiations about this day's activity with: go to the jeweler, see about getting her ring reset

I need to come up with a counterproposal stat

I wish I could contact your wife and tell her to hold moving to Chicago over your head so that she could get whatever she wanted.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ludious wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    my wife has opened negotiations about this day's activity with: go to the jeweler, see about getting her ring reset

Counterpropose giving her four hundred bucks to take some classes and reset it herself!

if a woman knows how to manipulate her own jewelry why the fuck does she need a man

worst $400 ever.

I know how to do basic jewelry stuff.

I am not really attracted to men.

Your hypothesis is bulletproof.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i managed to not drink too much cuz i have to work today but

i was also zombie tired yesterday yet didnt get home till 4am because even when i have self control about drinking i am terrible about leaving parties early

i'm so bad at it!

poo
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Holy shit a thesis is a main idea.

And a hypothesis is like an idea that isn't proved yet.

Wow

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

Counterpropose giving her four hundred bucks to take some classes and reset it herself!

if a woman knows how to manipulate her own jewelry why the fuck does she need a man

worst $400 ever.

my hypotheses are always bulletproof

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    cats in the cradle

I know, I know, I'm a dick.

But I also can't stand to hear my dad ramble on about deer hunting or building a new fence. At least if I'm at home I'll humor him.

Atomika on
    Like there are individual mechanics from each that are cool and that, were I to design a game, I might incorporate (and track down Elder Scroll mods to implement them sometimes) but you can get that from about ten minutes of gameplay.

I totally get this. I'm constantly yelling at the screen, "(Game X), why can't you be more like (Game Y)? We'd be having a lot more fun right now!"

It's annoying when the stuff I like is disliked by most other people I meet with.

Everyone I know hates the idea of stats leveling up based on using them as in FF II. I love it! I mean it leads to exploits where you punch yourself for hours to raise defense and HP, but other than that (which is fixable) I think it's a great system! People seem to disagree though.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Pools of blood.
    Paralysis.
    Neurotic ticks.

There's something wrong with everyone in [chat] today.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

I wish I could contact your wife and tell her to hold moving to Chicago over your head so that she could get whatever she wanted.

whose team are you even on

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    You know, I never have had a problem listening to people ramble.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg

worst $400 ever.

I wonder if wrapping a PhD thesis in a kevlar book cover will help me in the future.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Holy shit a thesis is a main idea.

And a hypothesis is like an idea that isn't proved yet.

Wow

Does that mean a HYPERTHESIS is so unproven that it manipulates matter to prove itself correct?

b302JFG.jpg

Ludious on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Like there are individual mechanics from each that are cool and that, were I to design a game, I might incorporate (and track down Elder Scroll mods to implement them sometimes) but you can get that from about ten minutes of gameplay.

I totally get this. I'm constantly yelling at the screen, "(Game X), why can't you be more like (Game Y)? We'd be having a lot more fun right now!"

It's annoying when the stuff I like is disliked by most other people I meet with.

Everyone I know hates the idea of stats leveling up based on using them as in FF II. I love it! I mean it leads to exploits where you punch yourself for hours to raise defense and HP, but other than that (which is fixable) I think it's a great system! People seem to disagree though.

I love that because it encourages my inner grinder.

whose team are you even on

Team Not Freezing In The Winter

also this bagel is pretty much heaven right now

scallion cream cheese all over mah face

sex appeal

poo
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    cats in the cradle

But I also can't stand to hear my dad ramble on about deer hunting or building a new fence. At least if I'm at home I'll humor him.

my dad cannot pick up on cues that things he finds interesting may not be interesting to others

every time I visit or talk to him, he tells me about his latest golf clubs or playing with so and so or whatever

he and I have played golf together like once, when I was 14

he knows I don't care about it in the slightest

It always depends on execution.

I think Besthesda overdid it on Skyrim, where basically you spend all your time building iron daggers and . . . BAM! You're a master smith.

I do like the notion of you getting better at things the more you do them, but there's probably a better way to get that done.

emnmnme wrote: »
    Pools of blood.
    Paralysis.
    Neurotic ticks.

There's something wrong with everyone in [chat] today.

My ticks are emotionally stable.

I just can't get them out of my beard.

Couscous wrote: »

I love that because it encourages my inner grinder.

See it's weird because I hate grinding.

But part of that is hating the idea that if I go stab a million snakes I'll be able to avoid being one-shotted by a boss. It feels a lot less grindy when it's both really hard to level up everything and you're training specific skills.

worst $400 ever.

I wonder if wrapping a PhD thesis in a kevlar book cover will help me in the future.

no bro, defense chairs carry alternating rounds of FMJ and HP.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    just had a haircut

my neck feels cold

aRkpc.gif
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I think Besthesda overdid it on Skyrim, where basically you spend all your time building iron daggers and . . . BAM! You're a master smith.

I do like the notion of you getting better at things the more you do them, but there's probably a better way to get that done.

They did kind of fix that by making the skill improvement when making something dependent on the cost of the item so making iron daggers was a shitty way of leveling up the skill after a certain point. It probably wouldn't be hard to make a mod that makes certain items stop improving the skill after a certain skill level.

Leveling is a dumb abstraction

Death to leveling

cats in the cradle

my dad cannot pick up on cues that things he finds interesting may not be interesting to others

every time I visit or talk to him, he tells me about his latest golf clubs or playing with so and so or whatever

he and I have played golf together like once, when I was 14

he knows I don't care about it in the slightest

This is my dad completely.

I've only ever politely feigned interest his his hobbies, but he's always saying the most impossible shit to me.

"You know, we should really go to Wal-Mart and get you a new shotgun! You haven't bought a new shotgun in a long time!"

Or, you know, ever.

• SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Sparvy wrote: »
    John Walker from RPS used to bring up Dreamfall at like every possible moment he loved it so much. I haven't seen him do it in a while now though. Hopefully it is just because it's an old game and not that the MRA idiots that have been raiding the comment sections lately have gotten to him.

Holy Jesus those chucklefucks have been getting on my nerves. And they disguise it as if they are concerned as readers about the site's direction. RPS has been socially aware and not a cesspit for a long time!

It makes me silently furious, they all go "wha wha, why must you push your leftist politics on us, this site used to be about games and you have gone all preachy in the last few months"

When in reality land RPS has been like this for at least the 3 or 4 years that I have been reading it. And the maximum extent of their moral outrage is usually "Uh, isn't this a bit sexist/racist/whatever? Lets talk to some people involved."

If anything they have done less of it since Gillen left which is a bit unfortunate. I thought their Far Cry 3 story was fantastic.

Sparvy on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    4 hours total. I have CynanogenMod.

smCQ5WE.jpg

Well in Skyrim there were levels that maxed out and stuff which kind of messes with it. A more organic system that's less constrained artificially would do better, I think.

Final Fantasy II is basically the most concrete example I can think of, where casting spells a lot raised your MP and magic attack and even leveled up that specific spell for you. So fire III wasn't like the third fire spell, it was fire cast by someone who had been practicing enough to be adept. And every few levels the animation changed which was neat.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    my mastiff is lying right next to my desk

so many cuddles

worst $400 ever.

no bro, defense chairs carry alternating rounds of FMJ and HP.

I'll figure out a way.

Death to leveling

I agree completely, that's another reason I'm fond of the FF II way of doing things.

edited February 2013

Death to leveling

Leveling is the mechanism that makes the player feel like they've earned something and are rewarded for their efforts by awesome gear.

Maybe we should all get awesome gear from the start.

Atomika on
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Oh my god having an image macro of Awesomes is the best idea I've had so far today.

This was my signature for a while:

agreements.png

It's like when you have a tip jar and you put a few bucks in there first just to get it started.

And that is definitely how these stupid things work.

I wonder if I still have my "render unto Caesar" one around here ...

It's like the way that a laugh track can pull a few involuntary chuckles out of you or the way you might accidentally give a little noise of assent to a question asked in a voicemail from your parents.

ty3HR6Z.png

i'mma sue

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with

Death to leveling

Leveling is the mechanism that makes the player feel like they've earned something and are rewarded for their efforts by awesome gear.

Maybe we should all get awesome gear from the start.

I usually play games more for characters and stories and stuff, so I like the idea that whats her face is becoming a kick ass mage not because I've assigned her to it but because she's been burning goblins to death for the last month.

also i got these free samples of these fizzy water tablets that are like a combo of alka seltzer, caffeine, and asprin

so i'm trying it since i'm tired and a weeeee bit hungover

poo
    John Walker from RPS used to bring up Dreamfall at like every possible moment he loved it so much. I haven't seen him do it in a while now though. Hopefully it is just because it's an old game and not that the MRA idiots that have been raiding the comment sections lately that have gotten to him.

Holy Jesus those chucklefucks have been getting on my nerves. And they disguise it as if they are concerned as readers about the site's direction. RPS has been socially aware and not a cesspit for a long time!

It makes me silently furious, they all go "wha wha, why must you push your leftist politics on us, this site used to be about game and you have gone all preachy in the last few months"

When in reality land RPS has been like this for at least the 3 or 4 years that I have been reading it. And the maximum extent of their moral outrage is usually "Uh, isn't this a bit sexist/racist/whatever? Lets talk to some people involved."

If anything they have done less of it since Gillen left which is a bit unfortunate. I thought their Far Cry 3 story was fantastic.

Yes. I don't feel like they go crazy. They just want to talk about it! So annoying. Maybe the site is just more popular than it's ever been so it's collected readers who aren't interested in its mission statement.

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    [Chat] save me. I'm at a hair salon waiting for my wife to get her hair cut.

Also, Choco might want check himself to make sure he's not missing something if Cass is pooping dicks and balls. :P

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Holy fuck, this ancient phone is blazing.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    also i got these free samples of these fizzy water tablets that are like a combo of alka seltzer, caffeine, and asprin

so i'm trying it since i'm tired and a weeeee bit hungover

I've had something like that in Europe, good shit

John Walker from RPS used to bring up Dreamfall at like every possible moment he loved it so much. I haven't seen him do it in a while now though. Hopefully it is just because it's an old game and not that the MRA idiots that have been raiding the comment sections lately have gotten to him.

It makes me silently furious, they all go "wha wha, why must you push your leftist politics on us, this site used to be about games and you have gone all preachy in the last few months"

If there's one thing people love to complain about, it's when others treat another group as worth making happy.

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

In the literal sense?

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    Elki wrote: »

i wish i was blazing

poo
This discussion has been closed.