As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Antilago[chat]ic

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I'm sure all spiders dying would have some negative effect on ecology but.

Think how much we would learn by studying the aftereffects of a spider-free Earth. It will totally be worth the downside.

In a decade, as the last humans choke to death from the thick swarms of flies filling their every orifice, feasting, they will remember this post and wordlessly curse your name.

ftOqU21.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Russia's doing some good old chestbeating. Everybody likes to do a bit of banging on their chest every once in a while, but Putin seems to like doing it a bit too much.

Because of said chestbeating affinity, my international security professor recommended to us students that Finland ought to seek NATO membership, or barring such, a separate defensive pact with the USA.

So, uh, guys.

I've got Berserk, Trigun and Gungrave on DVD, I'd be delighted to share if you'd lend us a nuke or two.

Russia's chest beating is on the level with North Korea's chest beating though. Their military is so hilariously under-funded and outdated at this point.

That's not what Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 told me.

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Oh, I wouldn't say that, The Glorious People's Republic makes great Space Fireworks...

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Lmsz4hkI4BlTEhxhr33H0AiS7NKkoU3bgbbEGWQu2myg.jpg

russian military flights in 2007

fantastic

and thanks to money grubbing contractors and a couple of incredibly lousy governments our military is at the weakest it's been in...

i can't think of a time in recent history when we've been this weak relatively speaking

The tabloids were keen to make a fuss at the time about the fact that Leuchars (the base from which we are presently scrambling interceptors) is scheduled to be closed. There won't be any fewer aircraft though, because the squadrons operating from Leuchars will move to Lossiemouth, which is further north, and in principle, a better place to base interceptors. The only reason we launch interceptors from Leuchars at the moment is that it has Typhoons and Lossiemouth has due-for-retirement Tornadoes.

i'm not worried per se

at the end of the day, the difference in conventional strength is rendered meaningless by the fact the UK and Russia both have nukes

but the state of our conventional forces is still shambolic, the army is poorly equipped and cut in size, we're going to start relying more and more on the TA to make up the bulk of our forces and give them a shiny new name so people don't notice we're resorting to using part time reservists to save cash

the RAF is having problems because all these shiny new American aircraft we've bought are nonsensically expensive and, with all the best will in the world, don't fucking work

the navy is the worst of all though, for the first time since carriers were invented the nation that invented them won't have any and the rest of our surface fleet is tiny too

something has gone very wrong

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    When I was in high school there were rumors the the principal was totally deep in student pussy. Well, it turned up in the news that he had sex with a student at another school he was principaling.

What else was true?! I need to go back through my high school rumors book and check. I should've trusted those never shutting the fuck up kids.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    skippydumptruck where are you staying anyway

desc san diego for work

I fly in on Thurs night, and then stay over the weekend through the next week

there's a train or something that takes me up to you right?

yeah although i've never looked into it in detail

alternately I can drive down to SD as well

hmm but you always drive down

we could go up to la, don't a few chatters still live there

vh did I can't remember if he still does

I dunno if anyone is here right now. I thought VH moved away long ago, before my time. Inqui is in Japan.

WELL I SEE

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Think how much we would learn by studying the aftereffects of a spider-free Earth. It will totally be worth the downside.

In a decade, as the last humans choke to death from the thick swarms of flies filling their every orifice, feasting, they will remember this post and wordlessly curse your name.

If they couldn't carry out their garbage and scoop up after their dogs they deserved it.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I mean seriously their main bomber is from 1952 and prop powered.

2sI3mp4.jpg
    aYRkv4d.jpg

Their only hope is that a war would be like that scene in the Simpsons, when Sideshow Bob steals the Wright Flyer and it's so slow the F-16's can't engage it.

nibXTE7.png

fantastic

and thanks to money grubbing contractors and a couple of incredibly lousy governments our military is at the weakest it's been in...

i can't think of a time in recent history when we've been this weak relatively speaking

The tabloids were keen to make a fuss at the time about the fact that Leuchars (the base from which we are presently scrambling interceptors) is scheduled to be closed. There won't be any fewer aircraft though, because the squadrons operating from Leuchars will move to Lossiemouth, which is further north, and in principle, a better place to base interceptors. The only reason we launch interceptors from Leuchars at the moment is that it has Typhoons and Lossiemouth has due-for-retirement Tornadoes.

i'm not worried per se

at the end of the day, the difference in conventional strength is rendered meaningless by the fact the UK and Russia both have nukes

but the state of our conventional forces is still shambolic, the army is poorly equipped and cut in size, we're going to start relying more and more on the TA to make up the bulk of our forces and give them a shiny new name so people don't notice we're resorting to using part time reservists to save cash

the RAF is having problems because all these shiny new American aircraft we've bought are nonsensically expensive and, with all the best will in the world, don't fucking work

the navy is the worst of all though, for the first time since carriers were invented the nation that invented them won't have any and the rest of our surface fleet is tiny too

russia is in far worse shambles. So no worries.

ftOqU21.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    tumblr_m08jowlWwx1qeqx7ko1_r1_500.jpg

Lh96QHG.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2013

fantastic

i'm not worried per se

I'm not sure you want too big of a navy.

They're great for driving around and pushing smaller nations around.

Not so great the second a nation with anything modern decides they don't want them there anymore.

Or a smart nation without anything modern.

Shivahn on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    skippydumptruck where are you staying anyway

desc san diego for work

I fly in on Thurs night, and then stay over the weekend through the next week

there's a train or something that takes me up to you right?

yeah although i've never looked into it in detail

alternately I can drive down to SD as well

hmm but you always drive down

we could go up to la, don't a few chatters still live there

vh did I can't remember if he still does

I dunno if anyone is here right now. I thought VH moved away long ago, before my time. Inqui is in Japan.

WELL I SEE

yep, they all successfully avoided you

if you come up here we will go eat Guisado's tacos and whatever other lulz

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Augh, i got a B grade on the first chapter of MGR:R.

i am so bad at this game, augh!

Prologue: B, First chapter: B

Why do i suck at game so much?

21stCentury on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I have no idea who that is AMFE

It's Jeremy Renner's ass.

Also, Jeremy Renner.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

It's Jeremy Renner, who plays Hawkeye in the Marvel films.

Doing his best to contribute to the Hawkeye Initiative.

Lh96QHG.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

Looks like Jeremy Renner posing like a female superhero.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Man I'm straight and I knew that was Jeremy Renner.

nibXTE7.png

2sI3mp4.jpg
    aYRkv4d.jpg

Their only hope is that a war would be like that scene in the Simpsons, when Sideshow Bob steals the Wright Flyer and it's so slow the F-16's can't engage it.

the american main strategic bomber is also from 1952.

ftOqU21.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

It's Jeremy Renner's ass.

Also, Jeremy Renner.

Oh, Hawkeye/Crazy EOD guy

He does have a decent ass.

$45 roundtrip amtrak san to lax

I thought there was a train station in carlsbad, though

and you aren't actually in la, right? in OC somewhere?

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

2sI3mp4.jpg
    aYRkv4d.jpg

America's 1952 is more like a 1968. Much higher quality!

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I wonder whether not having a conventional navy makes it easier to hold the line on territorial claims like the falklands

if your only option is to glass buenos aires...

aRkpc.gif
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Wow, ok. Warning: graphic.

I wake up and can't open my left eye because it's crusted shut. I blindly reach for my box of tissues to blow my nose (I am officially sick now, can't even speak my voice is gone), and then BLOOD EVERYWHERE. Bloody nose, still going strong. So now I have a tissue shoved up my nose and clearly a conjuncitivtis-infected left eye which is seriously freaking me out. I guess I should go to the health center and find out if it's bacterial or viral, so I can hopefully get some drops or meds or something...

i converted you! when did it happen? tell me the details.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    I saw Jeremy Renner in an episode of Angel and i was like, hey, it's young Jeremy Renner.

True story.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Wait there isn't?

There's Solana or Solano beach which is close. I think.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    484898_10100655131508002_846473337_n.jpg

my friend posted this saying

"When I die, I expect to wake up to something exactly like this."

yeah

poo

2sI3mp4.jpg
    aYRkv4d.jpg

They're still equipped with nuclear cruise missiles

Shivahn wrote: »

Wait there isn't?

There's Solana or Solano beach which is close. I think.

there is I guess it's just not an amtrak

google tells me you can coaster to oceanside and pick up a train from there maybe

also that prop plane is actually pretty damn fast. It's a bit slower than the B-52, but not by much.

also it is possibly the noisiest military aircraft ever, the propellers spin faster than the speed of sound.

ftOqU21.png

2sI3mp4.jpg
    aYRkv4d.jpg

They've continuously upgraded the B-52 though, and switched it to jet power. The only 50's left about it is the frame. We have more B-1B's than B-52s at this point, too.

nibXTE7.png
    2nh2nx0.png

god damn it california

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    It is said by wise thinkers of old, that the weak mans violence is an absolute bitch to fight.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
    bombers have kinda... peaked, tech-wise.

all you need them to do is be relatively cheap to fly, and be able to carry a lot and carry it far.

ftOqU21.png
    Augh, i got a B grade on the first chapter of MGR:R.

i am so bad at this game, augh!

Prologue: B, First chapter: B

Why do i suck at game so much?

poLpHlE.jpg

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

After the eradication of all spiders the niche of bug consumption is filled in by modified humming birds making the world objectively better.

2sI3mp4.jpg
    aYRkv4d.jpg

They're still equipped with nuclear cruise missiles

Nuclear cruise missiles don't do much when the planes get intercepted pretty much as soon as they're out of Russian airspace.

nibXTE7.png

2sI3mp4.jpg
    aYRkv4d.jpg

They've continuously upgraded the B-52 though, and switched it to jet power. The only 50's left about it is the frame. We have more B-1B's than B-52s at this point, too.

strategic bombers are an anachronism anyway

they rate behind land based ICBM silos in terms of effectivness and those are waaaaaay behind sub launched ICBMs

sub launched ICBMs were a complete game changer, anything else is useless

bombers have kinda... peaked, tech-wise.

all you need them to do is be relatively cheap to fly, and be able to carry a lot and carry it far.

Orbital bombers would be the peak of bomber tech. Launch from Andrews, strike anywhere in the world. 30 minutes or it's free.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Idk what you gain there that we don't already have with ICBMs.

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.