As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 2/20/13 - #### you, Brian K Vaughn

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    New 52 Martian Manhunter just seems so played out already

MY GOALS ARE SO MYSTERIOUS! *mindwipe*

rinse, repeat

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    tehjester wrote: »
    So... Saga #10... You guys recommend and recommend and recommend to read this comic. So, I start to read it. I enjoy it. I start to care about the characters. About the story. The narrative. Then #10... that ending... ... ... ... ...

Aw, don't worry. It'll be alright.
    tLGOJ2l.jpg

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    So... Saga #10... You guys recommend and recommend and recommend to read this comic. So, I start to read it. I enjoy it. I start to care about the characters. About the story. The narrative. Then #10... that ending... ... ... ... ...

Well, technically ... Mission accomplished.

Crimsondude on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Wonder Woman's issue reminded me off my least favorite USM issues. Nothing wrong with them but out of necessity its mostly transitional. The issue before it was great and thanks to this ones set up the next one will be too.

I did like WW asking permission to help Zola. That was a nice moment.

Quire.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

have you never read a Brian K Vaughn comic before?

This is just the warm up to when he breaks your heart for real

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »

have you never read a Brian K Vaughn comic before?

This is just the warm up to when he breaks your heart for real

i never have before. i JUST started reading comics seriously about 6 or 7 months ago

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Yeah so I caught Nova #1
    Gamora and Rocket already knew each other before GotG?

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Yeah so I caught Nova #1

The answer is probably no... We're just, I don't even know, accepting that continuity be damned in this book I guess. Or sam's dad's stories are bullshit but he somehow got a nova helmet and a drunk imagination

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So they are doing Nova with GoTG?
    to understand one you have to own the other?

edited February 2013
    not really sure yet. they're connected in that they're both cosmic at least (hopefully).

initiatefailure on
    I'm going to only be reading GotG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Nova and GotG are not sister titles

Rocket and Gamora are just guest starring for a few issues

CYpGAPn.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Yeah so I caught Nova #1

The answer is probably no... We're just, I don't even know, accepting that continuity be damned in this book I guess. Or sam's dad's stories are bullshit but he somehow got a nova helmet and a drunk imagination

Is this even before GotG? I got the impression it was after, with a rebuilt Nova corps post-Thanos Imperative.

H9f4bVe.png
    It says "Seventeen Years Ago"

CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm going to only be reading GotG

I am actually the other way around on this, weirdly enough

Bendis' GotG looks terrible to me but Nova #1 was actually pretty damn entertaining

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    It says "Seventeen Years Ago"

Yea, before the era when the main story takes place. Whenever that is.

H9f4bVe.png
    What

We know it is a few months before present day, Sam Alexander was in AvX and there is zero reason to think it is in the future

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Yeah, we at least know that the story is before AvX, but probably after Thanos Imperative.

maybe space years are different... except they tied the timeline into how long ago sam was born, because that's in earth years.

I don't know. I'm under the assumption that the timeline is just proper fucked at this moment.

but i like the idea of Alpha Lante... er, black novas

The only thing that is fucked is Rocket and Gamora's being called the Guardians. Other than that everything is totally fine.

CYpGAPn.png
    yeah that's true.

Blankzilla wrote: »
    Sam Alexander was in AvX and there is zero reason to think it is in the future

Was he? Never read it. Okay then.

Maybe the flashback is pre-GotG but the dad is calling them that after the fact. Flashback Rocket isn't wearing his GotG outfit, I notice.

H9f4bVe.png
    The problem with that is the question of how his dad would learn they are called that.

I mean it can be answered but it is still confusing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    yeah i think the idea is just that sam's dad had adventures with rocket and gamora, and in his telling of the story he calls them the guardians because that's how they're best known nowadays, both in universe and in terms of readership

you could argue that hey how could sam's dad know that name since the guardians formed up after he came back to earth but

i'm willing to let that oversight slide because it really isn't very important

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    You don't read Loeb books for things like continuity and/or attention to detail. You read Loeb books because he works with some rad artists. The end. :P

tOkYVT2.jpg
    I'm trying to remember if the guardians have interacted with earth in the past and maybe he's just retroactively calling them that.

the only time the current guardians have been to earth were in Avengers Assemble

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Guardians met with Reed Richards et al. after Prison 42 was captured by Blastaar.

The reaction there was pretty much "who?"

Plus Gamora was running around with Adam Warlock at the time, so if anything the Earth people would know only Rocket on the Guardians team.

edit: this was back in the Initiative, Camp Hammond days.

00Jit9K.jpg

Elderlycrawfish on
    that reminds me of Nova stopping by earth for a minute after saving the entire universe a time or two and Tony wants him to register.

I'm pretty sure Gamora went to Earth while hanging out with Adam Warlock. During the Infinity Watch stuff twenty years ago.

what series and issue # was that in?

edited February 2013
    I think it was like issue 2 or 3 of Adam Warlock and the Infinity Watch. I remember Pip the Troll stole an Avengers Quinjet in #1, and then I believe they went to Earth for Moondragon and/or Drax. My memory is just a bit hazy on the details. This is also where they go into Gamora's background being raised by Thanos.

Crimsondude on
    to be clear I meant the guardians as currently constructed

not that none of the characters on the team had ever been to earth, that'd be silly

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Although maybe the Guardians have visited earth from time to time, but not specifically referenced in the comic, just implied? They can teleport around the galaxy, I'm sure they can stop in and get some shwarma whenever they feel like.

Also, Rocket would have to have picked up his Collector's Edition of Beaches that he bought on eBay. I'm pretty sure you don't get free shipping to a disembodied Celestial head floating at the edge of space.

Yeah, there are several easy ways to explain it

They just aren't actually in the comic

CYpGAPn.png
    Seems like it's something that shouldn't have to use a No-Prize to be explained.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I still wouldn't mind of Sam was from the future and got stuck back in time for some reason.. You could KIND of finagle it by saying Sam's dad was part of the mass recruitment by the Ego Worldmind, which would be during the time period where Gamora and Rocket were part of the Guardians (Also, remember that all Nova personelle have access to the worldmind who is just loaded with information of who's who in the galaxy; especially so since Nova pushed for the Guardians to be made in the first place.) Though IIRC, there really isn't a good time period during that where Gamora and Rocket could have been locked up. They were busy doing shit in the War of Kings at that point, I think.

please stop fanwanking loeb

down this path lies madness

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I propose changing the term from "fanwanking" to "No-Prizing"

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    please stop fanwanking loeb

down this path lies madness

Bale, you're a cool guy and all, but go suck a lemon. :P

It's fun to try to take a shitty piece of continuity and worm it back into place where it makes sense. I mean, the alternative is to just leave it an ugly continuity blight until the end of time, and what's the fun in that? :D