As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Arthropod Appreciation Amnesty (NSFCHORDATES)

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    fuck those ants. crabs are awesome

especially ghost crabs. those little guys are fast

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    BugBoy wrote: »
    hello there

I saw I was notified about this lovely place

I'm a bit busy today but I wanted to note something about those christmas island crabs in the OP

in an interesting arthropod war, they're currently in major trouble because of an invasive ant species

ant swarms versus crab swarms

just in case you thought you had to retreat to the realm of fiction to have really cool things happen
    although cool as it is, those ants really need to be eliminated

the crabs are not winning

Hymenoptera, including ants, are basically invincible. It can get pretty bad. The only things that can defeat them are horrifying in their own right.

• WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    Bugboy please tell me any and all other bugs I can kill without feeling bad.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    the spiders in the basement in my old house and i had a very strict verbal arrangement

Um.

steam_sig.png
  • DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Oh hey can we talk about giant isopods?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2y2sbRTgj1rt5zapo4_500.jpg

DrDinosaur on
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

That kitty is good at being a cat because I cannot tell what's going through her head.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Here's a little video about peacock spiders, about the only thing in Australia that isn't horrifying and/or actively trying to kill you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgAbyYDFeg

The dancing bits start at about a minute in, and the part that gives the spider its name starts at about 3 minutes in.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Whyther wrote: »
    Bugboy please tell me any and all other bugs I can kill without feeling bad.

Really you should feel bad about killing anything that you are not gonna eat or which is not posing a significant threat to you.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i'm with Smof.

I just don't get it when people go out of the way to kill bugs. it ain't doing no harm.

(unless it is. then death should be swift.)

steam_sig.png
    I don't get it when people kill spiders, mostly because they are what keep the bugs out. And I prefer them for that reason.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    At the house I used to live in, there was a massive amount of (edit, I forget what it was) growing on a trellis near our garage. They had tons of tiny flowers and bees would greet me every morning as I headed to work.

I loved those bees.

Syphyre on
  • Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    Our house is currently under siege by stinkbugs. Usually I'm fine with letting bugs be, but one stinkbug got into bed with me during the night. The smell in my bed was awful, and wasn't even my fault!
    Bugboy, what are you going to do about his menace?!

• IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    Rorus, you're good people for this thread.

The different and interesting arthopods was one of things in Japan that I really liked, with a couple of exceptions.

In Nagasaki there were these little freshwater (maybe) crabs that would scuttle super fast on the sidewalks and one time I have to catch one to get it out of the shoe area when I was visiting a school. And the cicadas in summer were nuts, but I liked them. After a while their sound just becomes the background to summer time.

As a bonus, here's a picture of one of my hermit crabs I had as a pet in Japan.
    8501921690_50b411db7e_o.jpg

I know cicadas are a big deal in Japan because any Japanese game, ever, that has a summer season, will have them be the loudest thing the whole time.

I fully get that now. That overwhelming sound is summer in Japan.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    One of my new favourite bugs is Madagascan hissing cockroaches, we have a lot of them at the zoo. The first time I handled one it hissed at me loud enough to make me jump. You would have thought I'd be expecting it, I mean the clue's in the name.

edited February 2013
    Smof, your story reminded me of this incident.

Mainly because I think it was the same type of cockroach.

Iloveslimes on
    Well that certainly is a thing.

Sorry, hope it wasn't too disgusting for you.

Not disgusting. Just, those poor bugs, being eaten for entertainment.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    smof wrote: »
    One of my new favourite bugs is Madagascan hissing cockroaches, we have a lot of them at the zoo. The first time I handled one it hissed at me loud enough to make me jump. You would have thought I'd be expecting it, I mean the clue's in the name.

Reminds of these guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunt_sculpin

They're quite small, and if they feel threatened they make a soft grunting sound so if you hold one in your hand out of the water, you can hear it squeaking away softly in your hand.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    You know what arthropod doesn't get enough love for being awesome?

Scorpions.

They glow in UV!
    article-0-0F4D475600000578-353_634x795.jpg

Also give live birth for some weird reason. Seriously bizarre.

The babies can get carried around by mom, who may eat them if she can't find food.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Live birth is a pretty big advantage to have adapted, when you think about it. Certain species of snake, especially larger species, give live birth as well.

Also, I've always found nurturing parental behavior to be particularly interesting in creepy-crawlers. Not sure why.

Live birth is a pretty big advantage to have adapted, when you think about it. Certain species of snake, especially larger species, give live birth as well.

Also, I've always found nurturing parental behavior to be particularly interesting in creepy-crawlers. Not sure why.

Rattlesnakes do, I can tell you that much.

The thing about live births is that they're expensive. Generally it's easier to throw a billion eggs around than carry twenty for a while while they develop. But of course with predation and all that, the scales tip to the point where either is a viable strategy if you do it right.

I love that some snakes and scorpions do it, because it just goes against everything we think. Like, those are nasty little asocial creatures in the common consciousness, so it's really neat to see that they have (sometimes infanticidic) families and care for their young for longer than it takes them to hatch.

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    n/m

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Rattlesnakes do, I can tell you that much.

The thing about live births is that they're expensive. Generally it's easier to throw a billion eggs around than carry twenty for a while while they develop. But of course with predation and all that, the scales tip to the point where either is a viable strategy if you do it right.

I love that some snakes and scorpions do it, because it just goes against everything we think. Like, those are nasty little asocial creatures in the common consciousness, so it's really neat to see that they have (sometimes infanticidic) families and care for their young for longer than it takes them to hatch.

My favorite is the Giant Octopus (and maybe some other species) because she will stay with her clutch of eggs until she dies of starvation, just to protect them.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    kill all scorpions

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    PUKHxfo.jpg

• Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    Kill it! Kill it with fire!

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    heeey more drawing ideas

seriously that fucker look badass

Tam on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    is it.. a spider?

WELL IT'S GOT EIGHT LEGS DDDDDUUUHHHHHH

(certainly looks like one)

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    who is that charming fellow

EDIT: oh wait it's a harvestman I hate harvestmen

but I like spiders

what a world

Seriously on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    scorpions have 8 legs!

edited February 2013
    scorpions have a stinger on a tail!
    and pincers!

thhhbhbhbththbththbth

apparently it's a tropical harvestman anyway

Tam on
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Oh yeah arthropods!
    One time a tick tried to get all up in my junk.
    I had spent a weekend out at my parents old farm(they have a bigger one now) and had wandered around all day in tall grass. Drove 3 hours back to my house, started getting ready for bed, and found a tick crawling around on the inside of my boxers. Burned it, stabbed it, flushed it down the toilet because goddamnit.

• Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    premium wrote: »
    Oh yeah arthropods!
    I had spent a weekend out at my parents old farm(they have a bigger one now) and had wandered around all day in tall grass. Drove 3 hours back to my house, started getting ready for bed, and found a tick crawling around on the inside of my boxers. Burned it, stabbed it, flushed it down the toilet because goddamnit.

Aren't you supposed to keep ticks you pull off so they can be tested? Or was it not actually attached to anything.

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Firematic. wrote: »
    premium wrote: »
    Oh yeah arthropods!

Aren't you supposed to keep ticks you pull off so they can be tested? Or was it not actually attached to anything.

Luckily I managed to catch it before it started attaching itself to my dick.
    I cringe when I think about what would have happened if that drive was another hour longer.

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    you'd a got your dick sucked is what

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I kill invasive non-native species of spiders, because they threaten endangered native species.

Also, they're Australian and terrifying.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.