As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Strange, Silly, or Outrageous....yet TRUE.

LarsLars Registered User regular
Life is stranger than fiction. Or so they say. A lot.

I've read some pretty strange fiction though. Let's see if we can top it.

Give us your best out-there, unbelievable, or downright bizarre tale that is absolutely true. Personal experiences preferable, but the occasional scientific article about sea life or whatever is also acceptable.

Wear your astonishing tale of the extraordinary as a badge of pride and allow us to share in it's ludicrousness. If you can actually prove it is true, go for it.

I'll try and start us off with a more mild and innocent one.

A long, long time ago when I was 3-4 years old, I won myself a giant teddy bear out of a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

It was some sort of mail-in contest, and long after I had forgotten I had entered, we received a notice in the mail that we had won and had to provide shipping information. Since my parents may not have been home during the delivery hours, they had it shipped to the store that my grandmother worked at, figuring it would be a small box she could put under the counter until it was time for her to come home.

Instead a truck arrived with a crate large enough to house a piece of furniture. Naturally this wasn't going to fit in my grandmother's car, so she called my mom and had her get my dad's pick-up truck and bring my sister and I too the store. That's when I learned that I had not won a regular-sized bear, but one that was even bigger than I was.

He looked like this (except he was three and a half feet tall):
santabear01.jpg

Despite having his name stitched across his hat (a fact I'm not sure we ever actually noticed, or if we did, we didn't realize it was his name), my sister and I took to calling him "Big Bear" because...well, he was a big damn bear.

For some reason I can't remember, it ended up staying at my grandparents' house instead of at my parents' house. Probably space concerns. That was fine though, as we visited my grandparents often. My grandfather enjoyed watching wrestling, and I would drag the bear (I still remember being proud when I was big enough to finally lift the thing instead of drag it) into the living room and then wrestle it by tackling it and so on. It was also big enough to serve as my bed during nap times back then.

Sometimes at Christmas my grandmother would take it to the store she worked at and display it in the front window. It also was on a variety of floats in the town's Christmas parades over the years.

Anyways, years and years later I remembered Big Bear and was curious about the contest and how many of these giant bears existed.

The problem? Google couldn't find any proof that this giant bear ever existed.

Finally I found this, which also finally taught me his official name (Dayton Hudson's Santa Bear...later Macy's Santa Bear until it was retired a few years ago):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGlS0aEAimo

Ok, so there was a Cinnamon Toast Cruch contest...but it's for a regular size bear and he's in the wrong outfit. However, some quick googling shows that the pilot version was the 1987 version, and revealed that the 1986 version is the one that looked like mine. So Cinnamon Toast Crunch must have had another contest the year before.

However, even now that I knew the official name, I couldn't find a single bit of proof that a giant version ever existed. Apparently there are a lot of people out there who collected Santa Bears, and even looking at some of the collections (such as THIS family who has 250 of them), I couldn't find anybody with a giant one.

I even found out Santa Bear had his own cartoon special with probably one of the most miscast Santa voices ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo1_9lEldIE

I even resorted to looking through old completed eBay auctions to see if anyone had ever sold one, but no giant bears.

Finally, I found the proof.
On eBay, one of the regular-sized 1986 Santa Bears was advertised as including his original packaging...among which was a "sweepstakes card."

santabear02.jpg

The giant version did exist! And I was one of only 100 kids to win one! I can only assume the box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch must have also had this card (or a similar one) and that's how I entered the contest. I also must have drawn a picture since I didn't own a real one to take a photo with. Which means three-year-old me was a kickass artist to win first prize against a panel of "experts in both art and photography." :)

As far as I know, Big Bear should currently reside in my parents' attic, though he lost a lot of stuffing over the years so he's a bit smaller (I also may have tried to give him a haircut at some point).

So there's my silly yet true story. Definitely mild and not too out there, but I didn't want to be the first to tell a truly outlandish one. I also wanted to encourage some simpler stories from people who may not feel they have a really wild and crazy one.

So, what've you got? I want to read with utter disbelief your completely true stories.

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    good shit OP

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    One time I saw two dogs doing it in the park.

[IMG][/img]
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    ...At least I think it was two dogs?

[IMG][/img]
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I too had a "Big Bear" once.

He was a giant 5 foot version of the Gund teddy bear I got when I was 1 year old.

When I was 4, my at the time 6 year old brother got sick and puked and pooped all over him...

Tallahasseeriel on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    One time I did it in RMED's park.

... hehe, 'one time'. Heh.

Also I just found a bear just like mine on ebay for.

169 fucking dollars.

tynic wrote: »
    One time I did it in RMED's park.

... hehe, 'one time'. Heh.

!!!

[IMG][/img]
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    We found a teddy bear somewhere that was bigger than any of us for my little sister, and kept it for something like ten years. Which in retrospect is impressive since our five-person family moved between three or four apartments in that time, several of which would have been small for 2 people.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have a huge teddy bear an ex boyfriend got me still stashed away somewhere. What's the etiquette on something like that, anyway.

... My sister wants a baby at some point, i guess I'll give it to my hypothetical niece or nephew one day.

• Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    One time I danced with the devil in the pale moonlight.

See! It's a great bear!

Why did my brother poop all over it?!

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    so is this another jelqing thread

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    so is this another jelqing thread

I wish they all could be jelqing threads.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    i gained a quarter inch with minimal scarring and disfigurement

broken image link
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i fell off a water slide once

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    I once had a grasshopper jump through my car window and into my mouth while driving. I have never felt more violated.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Ruby Rhod wrote: »
    I once had a grasshopper jump through my car window and into my mouth while driving. I have never felt more violated.

maybe you shouldn't have had your window so low?

you knew exactly what you were doing

PiptheFair on
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    this one time

at band camp

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    There was this one time that I didn't love beach volleyball.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    There was this one time that I didn't love beach volleyball.

Then along came Top Gun.

• AyeJayeAyeJaye Registered User regular
    Ok here's the greatest thing that I've ever experienced: I once had an amazing and unbelievable thing happen to me. It was an event that made me question the very fabric of reality, so completely incomprehensible and yet perfect it was. At the moment that it occurred I had to re-evaluate how I looked at the world, because a universe subject to such simple physical laws of causality as we observe in ours, well it could never produce such a momentous, meaningful event as this. I can honestly say it was the most important thing that has ever happened to me in my life, and by its happening I was shown my place in the cosmos and the cosmos' place in me. I think we've all had this kind of experience in one way or another, and I could never forget this glorious example of immaculate synchronicity, except I did. Seriously I have no idea what it was. I know it was so cool though, you guys wouldn't even believe. Stupid fallible human memory.

delicious.
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I was asking for it, what with my demure bug lust eyes.

168498.jpg?v=1

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I was asking for it, what with my demure bug lust eyes.

butt lust???

That too

• SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    i am 25 years old and im watching blue's clues.

SeveredHead on
    Also...I'm a big bear.

486195_10150749571679595_1227877401_n.jpg

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    168498.jpg?v=1

That is a mildly deceptive image at first glance.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    For non-personal stories, Cracked has an article about Old Timey Photos You Won't Believe are Real (potentially disturbing imagery for some?).

For personal stories, I can't prove it, but as a child I beat the original Battletoads on NES without the use of a cheating device. Of course, this was back in the day of when you got a video game, you played the hell out of it until you memorized every pixel because who knew when you'd get another new game.

I tried replaying Battletoads as an adult and couldn't get past the Speeder Bike stage (level 3).

I remember the hardest stage for kid-me was the one with the rocket-powered unicycle where you're racing the rat. Yes, I had more trouble with that than the infamous snake level (and it's evil jump).

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I dated the stunt driver of the yellow truck in Twister.

She looks like Jennifer Connelly's sister, except with a more heart-shaped face and less icy-demeanor.

She's also a personal friend of Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

• AyeJayeAyeJaye Registered User regular
    A girl I went to elementary and high school with was related to Jim Carrey. Beat that.

delicious.
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    I was nearly run over by the Duke of Edinburgh at the 2000 Royal Military Tattoo because I was trying to get back to my mom and didn't notice the guardrails set up for his passage

a kindly Gurkha retrieved me before I could be squashed by His Royal Highness

such is life in England

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    My mom went to high school with Johnny depp

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    I was nearly run over by the Duke of Edinburgh at the 2000 Royal Military Tattoo because I was trying to get back to my mom and didn't notice the guardrails set up for his passage

a kindly Gurkha retrieved me before I could be squashed by His Royal Highness

such is life in England

don't tire tread on me!

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    This just makes me want to tell the story of when I puked on the bus

It isn't really strange silly or outrageous though

Mostly just kinda eeeeeek with a dash of aw man

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    If it is a thing that some people might not of thought would have happened to a person, it fits.

Or just tell it anyways, your choice.

• InxInx Registered User regular
    When I was a kid, I received the Ghostbusters Power Pack for Christmas. I got so excited I vomited over every single one of my presents other than the Power Pack, which I was wearing.

My dad filmed it and submitted it to America's Funniest Home Videos.

It never aired.

Thanks, Obama Bob Saget

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    My grandparents actually won a trip to Indonesia with a Dutch TV show in the early 70s (back when this was a pretty expensive thing), since my grandmother was born there in colonial times, but never been back post WW2. My grandfather wrote the letter. That was a pretty Big Thing.

Much more recently my dad won a car in a lottery, only to find out that it was the most barebone Fiat with no ability to pay for any extras before delivery (meaning he'd have to pay quite a bit for it to become a nicer car than what he already owned), and that he owed about 30% tax on the showroom value. So he instead took 50% of the cars value as cash, still had to pay tax over that, but did have enough left to buy a nice couch, since the previous one had been absolutely demolished when their cat went mental with old age.

My mum won a bicycle, in a lottery that gives out prices by street / area code. In her case something like 1200 new bicycles were distributed in a town with 14000 inhabitants, which really pissed off the local bicycle salesmen, to the point that the lottery stopped doing that shortly after. It also revealed that the elderly neighbour in fact had 5 of these tickets, since this 80year old lady now owned 5 of these bicycles.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    I have this in my lab at work.

The insignia of the Soviet nuclear program. Bears so tough they can smash atoms.

New_Coat_of_Arms_of_Zheleznogorsk_(Krasnoyarsk_krai).png