As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strange, Silly, or Outrageous....yet TRUE.

13»

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Believe it or not, I'm sitting about ten miles from the derelict remains of Dowdy's (also the Outer Banks isn't that swampy, NC certainly has swampier).

It closed a few years ago and it did have a small roller coaster (basically a large loop that had ups and downs). I think it was called the Tornado. It's main attraction was the go-carting, if I remember right.

Lars on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Believe it or not, I'm sitting about ten miles from the derelict remains of Dowdy's (also the Outer Banks isn't that swampy, NC certainly has swampier).

It closed a few years ago and it did have a small roller coaster (basically a large loop that had ups and downs). I think it was called the Tornado. It's main attraction was the go-carting, if I remember right.

You're where the dragonfly was born.

Please make sure you're not a dragonfly.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I may have to consult a professional, but I'm pretty sure I'm neither dragon nor fly nor any unholy amalgamation of the two.

Also, were one of these the site of the incident?

df830f09-8d5f-4306-a8db-0befb646f8ed.jpg

The place basically looks like the set of a Scooby Doo episode now. Perhaps haunted by some sort of wingless dragonfly ghost monster.
    635cbe0c-e1e3-4a43-8ec9-50242d6aed79.JPG

Slots were in here, though I'm not sure if they were still there in it's final years.

Lars on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    MAN.

My dad never let me do the Go Karts. He was more than amused at my gambling, though. Who's laughing now, Dad?!

Also, not the tornado, but the spinny thing right in front of it. I think that might be The Octopus.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    my local zoo had a summer camp during, well, the summer

we got to do things like feed the gorillas (and get poop flung at us) and go inside the great eagle aviary during off hours and see how they're taken care off

and at the end of it all we all got to hold a young lion cub in our arms

so I actually held a small baby lion who yawned and was a adorable

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    Re: bird poop

I live in New York. One day my dad gets it in his head that we should all go see the Statue of Liberty. My brother and I shrug, we all get dressed and get on a train and head to our destination for what we predict will be family not-so-fun times at the foot of a giant statue that doesn't even move like it did in Ghostbusters.

Well, while we're there we decide to get lunch - I think there was a cafe in there somewhere, I dunno. In any case, there's some tables outside and it's a nice day so we sit underneath a big ol' tree and get to eatin.

Halfway through the meal, I go to reach for my fries, when something...grey and lumpy just sort of lands on them. I take a moment to process this new stimuli, and look up. Above us, there were something like 7 million pigeons. And they'd just declared war. I shouted something, probably "PIGEONS" and took off for the nearest building, followed by my brother, mother, and finally my dad when he realized just what was about to happen.

He didn't make it. I'm not exaggerating when I use the word covered in bird shit. We immediately went home.

I think he still has the shirt he wore that day.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    When I was in high school, the central office assumed I'd be a go-to guy to emcee an award thing for the local drum lines at all the high schools. Only, at the time, I had zero interest in drums, and I was utterly confused as to why they would pick me. They gave me the itenerary of the night a few weeks before, and told me I had to do an opening and in-between acts, I had to do pre-written banter with a co-host that I could pick. I selected a co-host who knew about drums, but I let him in on a secret: I wasn't going to do 'good' jokes. What I was going to do is go out on stage and do jokes that a terrible comedian would think are funny.

So, I started the evening, theater full to capacity, by walking out on stage wearing a baseball cap and a catchers mit. My opening line was,

"When the powers that be asked me to host Project Percussion, I thought they said, ump a baseball game!" and then I very clearly held for laughs, did a nervous cough, and moved on. "I guess that's strike one! We've got a fine night of drummery ahead of us." and the rest of my monologue was about baseball, only I screwed up the terminology, got noticably more nervous as it went on, and then quickly introduced the first act.

I followed that up with hockey jokes, basketball jokes, jokes about soccer, all of which I bombed.

The students in the audience were confused.

The adults thought it was hilarious, because they understood what I was going for.

Apparently the administration also thought it was funny, because they asked me to emcee the senior/faculty volleyball game (which I had to leave early because I was actively rooting for the teachers and some of the students were getting angry, but I was told, once again, I did a great job for being 'different and divisive') and announce soccer games over the PA system at our soccer field (which was simple enough, except I'm blind and know nothing about soccer, so calling the scoring shots was difficult).

After I left high school, I was contracted by Q'Doba to emcee several burrito eating contests, during which I saw unspeakable horrors but, as I was an actual paid dude, I did professionally.

It's really strange that for like, four consecutive years of my life, I was considered to be 'host' material for events.

What I'm getting at is that I should host more things, hire me to host your things.

MalReynolds on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    If only that dog had been sleeping.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    If only that dog had been sleeping.

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog is a touch-typing exercise that uses every letter on a keyboard. That is why that phrase is so commonly known in the English speaking world, because since the '50s, we've all had to type it a couple of thousand times in typing/IT class in high school at some point.