As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I'll never know the taste of another [chat] op again....

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Repoast:
    ronya wrote: »
    @feral @spacekungfuman

I think you might find this amusing

so the singapore anti-corruption bureau tried to nail down a senior civil servant for receiving oral sex in exchange for business favours

in singapore law, it's not necessary to prove, in corruption cases, that any favours were actually given. if it is proven that there was some unexplained 'gift', the onus is on the defendant to prove that it was a legit gift and not a bribe: there is a presumption of guilt, not innocence. this is a longstanding legal standard created to fight guanxi networks in the old days

but

their main witness changed her story on the stand to that the senior civil servant forced her to give him oral sex

whoops, now it's assault instead of corruption, and a much higher standard of evidence is required! And, you know, what with changing her story and all, the witness is unreliable. Out the case goes!

they couldn't get him for assault either, even though it has to be one or the other, either he forced himself on her or he didn't :rotate:

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Our bearings are on Cair Paravel

simonwolf on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Those were my covers for Narnia.

Good times.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Repoast:

so the singapore anti-corruption bureau tried to nail down a senior civil servant for receiving oral sex in exchange for business favours

in singapore law, it's not necessary to prove, in corruption cases, that any favours were actually given. if it is proven that there was some unexplained 'gift', the onus is on the defendant to prove that it was a legit gift and not a bribe: there is a presumption of guilt, not innocence. this is a longstanding legal standard created to fight guangxi networks in the old days

but

their main witness changed her story on the stand to that the senior civil servant forced her to give him oral sex

whoops, now it's assault instead of corruption, and a much higher standard of evidence is required! And, you know, what with changing her story and all, the witness is unreliable. Out the case goes!

they couldn't get him for assault either, even though it has to be one or the other, either he forced himself or her or he didn't :rotate:

Isnt that the thing though? The witness has proven to be unreliable, so what proof is there that she isn't lying again?

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    my teacher read us "voyage of the dawn treader" in the 4th grade

i shouted "gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay" and went to go hit on 5th grade girls

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    DrcwsUy.jpg?1

That ship looks unseaworthy. Luckily the Maritime Authority inspectors seem to have grown some real teeth

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Aldo wrote: »
    Repoast:

in singapore law, it's not necessary to prove, in corruption cases, that any favours were actually given. if it is proven that there was some unexplained 'gift', the onus is on the defendant to prove that it was a legit gift and not a bribe: there is a presumption of guilt, not innocence. this is a longstanding legal standard created to fight guangxi networks in the old days

but

they couldn't get him for assault either, even though it has to be one or the other, either he forced himself or her or he didn't :rotate:

Isnt that the thing though? The witness has proven to be unreliable, so what proof is there that she isn't lying again?

she worked for a company that could potentially have received favours that the civil servant was in a position to grant

so if the sex was voluntary, then it was corruption under singapore law; if it wasn't voluntary, then it was assault. well, it has to be one of them. but the prosecution can't prove which one it is, and the usual elevated standard in corruption doesn't even help

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    DrcwsUy.jpg?1

That ship looks unseaworthy. Luckily the Maritime Authority inspectors seem to have grown some real teeth

Obama

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    DrcwsUy.jpg?1

Obama

I'm picturing the Evil Wizard from the Kate Beaton Pony comics.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    morning [chat] peeps

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Hey Casual

Looks like my kids' comics are going to be put up on Nedroid's website/tumblr, which is kind of neat!

last month i had 4 badgers

this month i have 10

i wonder what the future holds for my badger collection?

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

this month i have 10

Mushroom. Mushroom.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

this month i have 10

Mushroom. Mushroom.

snaaaaake!!! snaaaaaake!!!

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    [img][/img]
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

this month i have 10

Mushroom. Mushroom.

snaaaaake!!! snaaaaaake!!!

<3

That EU adulteration thread sure became a thing it didn't have to

there's an EU thread?

?

Thinking of going to short hair, y\n?

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »

I'm getting a haircut this morning. Am terrified.

Tav wrote: »

I'm getting a haircut this morning. Am terrified.

You must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller.

Short hair is the best

simonwolf wrote: »
    Short hair is the best

am i a douchebag if i ask for a Ryan gosling do?

Y. Save valuable combing time!

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

Y. Save valuable combing time!

But it's cold outside.

?

Should have included the word "food"

Short hair is the best

Only if you rock up in a white jacket with a scorpion on the back and a toothpick in your mouth

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Short hair is the best

Celebrity hair styles are super tricky, because they normally complement the do with a buff body and a pleasant face.

?

Should have included the word "food"

Oh, Horse-not-gate.

Short hair is the best

Only if you rock up in a white jacket with a scorpion on the back and a toothpick in your mouth

What? i don't know what you're talking about.

/hides fingerless gloves and sunglasses.

I've never asked for a celebrity hairstyle, since my hair is essentially very tight curls that are extremely difficult to do anything with once they get beyond a certain length

hence why my hairstyle ever since my experimental early uni days has been "just cut it short, slightly shorter on the sides, and I'll manage"

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Marking student work is perhaps the most bring thing ever.

Short hair is the best

Celebrity hair styles are super tricky, because they normally complement the do with a buff body and a pleasant face.

this

not to mention the fact that most celebrities won't go within ten feet of a camera without spending an hour or two in the hands of a team of professionals who are dedicated to making them look not shit

hence it's dumb that their appearences are treated as an attainable standard for regular people

Short hair is the best

this

not to mention the fact that most celebrities won't go within ten feet of a camera without spending an hour or two in the hands of a team of professionals who are dedicated to making them look not shit

hence it's dumb that their appearences are treated as an attainable standard for regular people

Which is why I like this haircut. It's nice. Simple. not too crazy.

The only good use of the -gate suffix I've seen outside Watergate itself was a scandal about the process of women being impregnanted with other couple's embryos: Surro-gate.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Goodnight people of [chat]

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I've never asked for a celebrity hairstyle, since my hair is essentially very tight curls that are extremely difficult to do anything with once they get beyond a certain length

hence why my hairstyle ever since my experimental early uni days has been "just cut it short, slightly shorter on the sides, and I'll manage"
    "give me the Jesse Eisenberg"

"give me the Jesse Eisenberg"

Man, I wish I looked as good as that guy

This discussion has been closed.