As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Banner Saga] Turn-based Isometric Cartoon Viking Ruckus

Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
edited January 2014 in Games and Technology
uShlRi5.png

http://store.steampowered.com/app/237990/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbIH0vS9AG4

Oh glorious fruit of the Kickstarter tree, a turn-based tactical role-playing game for the pee cee. Praise Woden.

7XGpoKv.jpg

With very nice hand-drawn animations and cinematics. And helmets with horns. And sometimes horns with no helmets at all.

jgpwCuU.jpg

4oSIMsj.jpg

Out now on Steam. And elsewhere.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
Tiger Burning on

• Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    Oh, I am so getting this as soon as I get home. The kickstarter was pretty interesting but I wasn't expecting it to hit so soon.

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    FYI the steam version just released is the multiplayer/test version of the game. The kickstarter was for a fully fledged single player game, which isn't going to be released until late summer.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    This looks like a game I'll get for the single player. I'm terrible at strategy, but that art man.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Oh god I am so excited!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Looking forward to the single player version of this, the artwork is beautiful. The multiplayer part wasn't that engaging, though I only tried one match. Should give it another try but heard some negative things regarding how your group earns renown (experience).

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The multiplayer version of this created a bit of an uproar with project backers.

Their issue is that the company have spaffed away a lot of time and money and something that was not really the key deliverable (i.e. doing this free to play multiplayer thing rather than the actual game). The counter is that the core bits are most likely the same, so doing it this way lets the company set up an income stream while they do the single player game.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    The counter is that the core bits are most likely the same, so doing it this way lets the company set up an income stream while they do the single player game.

The kickstarter raised $700k+. At the time of the kickstarter, their team consisted of 3 people. They shouldn't need an additional income stream at this point unless they've drastically increased the size of their team.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    The company website suggests that it's still just 3 people. 3 very rich people now, I guess. Still, I didn't pledge for the game so it's pretty sweet that I get a free game out of the deal.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Eh, I backed them and I don't mind at all. It's not like they stopped making the singleplayer game, and now there's this free multiplayer thing that I can get my friends to try out.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Well, a multiplayer game is a pretty good way to test your game mechanics. Put two people against each other in a competitive environment and you can be sure that they'll try their damnedest to find any overpowered tactics or exploits they can.

I haven't had a chance to check out the game yet, but I already have it installed. I didn't actually back the kickstarter, but it definitely caught my attention, so I'm looking forward to seeing how things are coming along.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    This seems enjoyable.

Maybe it is.

I could maybe find out if it managed to start and connect. :P

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I've played the Factions thing a bit. Seems fairly enjoyable, but they've completely castrated the ability to play against friends. I understand that there's the aspect of possible exploiting, but getting no renown or kills from playing against friends kind of makes it pointless to play this, as I'd rather not have to grind pubs to get the currency for customization.

• Options
    TodesbartTodesbart Registered User regular
    Played two matches and I'm not sure if it's because I only have the standard units so far but archers seem fairly powerful. Out of the two games I've played I've lost one because my opponent rocked three archers in that game instead of the two from the starting setup.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MukkMukk Registered User regular
    Is there a point where the players are evenly matched as far as mechanics go? I found it a little annoying that I was facing opponents who had numerically better teams because they'd played more.

• Options
    Gabriel94Gabriel94 Costa RicaRegistered User regular
    well, Ive played it, at first the archers are plain great, but then you start to realize that, even if they are a key element, you cant do a team of 3 archers against a tanky team composition, so even if at first it actually works, when you have played several games you already have some tactics to play against them, so, backbitters appear, then you have trouble my friend, after a few other games you start to see how to counter them, its strategy, and a fun game to play, though, there is a point where you may see it like a more casual game, but its free, try it. About the question about the evenly matched, well, apparently they are trying to solve that by doing a second promotion, you can always avoid these and dont promote, playing against people fairly new, but the game tries to match you fairly depending on your time waiting, if you are on queue for too long, you may be the underdog, if you win though, there is a tasty bonus renown.

• Options
    conixconix Registered User new member
    edited March 2013
    I just downloaded this game today and found it pretty fun, albeit really really friggin slow. Probably the prettiest tactics game I've ever played - I feel like I'm playing some Viking cartoon.

On archers: I think they're fairly strong, but I prefer beefy melee humans over them any day. Archers work the best when there's a huge armor break battle going on and they're properly walled off. I don't know if it's the people I'm playing or what, but I find it pretty easy to run up to promoted archers and just one/two ko them with thrashers/etc.

Edit: Okay I take that back. Well positioned archers are really freaking strong. The pool of willpower they get to use is super useful.

conix on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Just on an informational level, the backgrounds in the game are heavily inspired by american artist Eyvind Earle, probably most well known by most people for backgrounds in Sleeping Beauty

13_06_2007_0862265001181709740_eyvind_earle.jpg

the_more_you_know.jpeg

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Everyone knows that Factions was announced and planned when they initially set up the Kickstarter, right? It was one of the things they've always said they're going to do, it shouldn't have come as a surprise to anybody. It's not like they went behind everyone's backs and secretly wasted time and money on this. They were upfront and said they were going to release a multiplayer-only version before the single player version.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    myzcxzzt wrote: »
    The kickstarter was for a fully fledged single player game, which isn't going to be released until late summer.

Look at their initial video on their Kickstarter page. They clearly state they would release a free, multiplayer version of the game prior to releasing the singleplayer version. Now, they initially planned to release the singleplayer version shortly thereafter but they've expanded on the game and so it's taken longer than anticipated, true, but it doesn't change the fact that they stated this upfront.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    This might be of interest: http://www.onlysp.com/the-banner-saga-single-player-campaign-gets-big-preorder-incentive/
    At 1PM Eastern on January 14th, the Viking-themed RPG The Banner Saga will finally make its single player debut on PC. Since February 2013, the Indie series has been a multiplayer-only free to play game known as The Banner Saga: Factions. Tomorrow’s single player release has a starting price of $24.99, which is about what you’d expect for a well hyped Indie title, but if you happen to check Steam or any other PC digital retailer you’ll notice if you preorder before the 1PM deadline there’s a $5 drop to $19.99. Better still, if you preorder from GameFly, you can use a 20% off coupon code dropping the price even further.

GameFly has The Banner Saga for only $15.99 after applying coupon code GFDJAN20 at checkout. That’s a solid 36% discount off the $24.99 MSRP. Not bad for a preorder incentive.

In addition to the discount, preorders get the “Insane Viking Pack” DLC, which includes 3 in-game bonuses. The first is an exclusive character, Tryggvi, who is adept at using his spear in combat. You also get the Tryggvi’s pearl necklace, with its 10% chance to do 2x damage. Lastly you get 3 extra soundtrack scores, not included in the base game.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm looking forward to this tomorrow. Turn based/grid based strategy RPGs are my favorite games and from what I've gathered from following this it's going to have a lot of things I like: decisions with actual consequence, perma-death, a story with multiple paths, etc. I'm really interested in the idea that the game still goes on if you lose a battle, but the outcome of that will usually be quite bad. That's going to lead to a lot of different scenarios playing out. I guess this is just the first part in a 3 part series, too, so more to look forward to.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    And it's only 14 months late! ;)

It'll be interesting to see how the "bad path" stuff works. I remember that Wing Commander stopped including that stuff because they decided that it was too much work for something that few players would experience (since people would rather just reload and continue on the "good path").

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Kinda want to jump on the gamefly deal but I missed the kickstarter, when it was only $10... which makes me want to wait for a deal when it's $10 again.

uuugh stupid being cheap. No reviews out yet either so I just don't know.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    I'll post impressions later on.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I had completely forgotten this was coming out and had almost forgotten I'd backed it.

I'm almost glad I caught a cold and stayed home sick today! (Almost)

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    There's a Eurogamer review up. They seem to like the game but I only read the intro and looked at the score, didn't want to spoil anything.

• Options
    Lots of reviews have come out this morning, a ton of 8/10 scores, caved and bought it for the gamefly discount before it goes away in an hour. Pre-loading now!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    launch trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbIH0vS9AG4

I really like the game's animation and music... makes me feel nostalgic.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    WHY IS THIS NOT UNLOCKED FOR ME?

I HAVE A LUNCHBREAK! :D

• Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Wow, really nice game from the half hour I stuck my nose in it.

Hard as Nails though..from what i can tell so far. 4th fight in they don't pull any punches.

But I really like the setting, art style and narrative so far.
    Combat seems complex enough, I already lost a Viking due to my noobness :)

Drunken Bastard on
  • Options
    Yeah I'm on normal and combat is hard as hell. I'm lucky to make it out with less than two injuries even early on (not counting the tutorial battles). I have a feeling it's going to open up a bit tactically though when I get some more warriors and also get to level up/customize my people some.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I only fired it up for 20 minutes or so, but I really like what I'm seeing. I'm glad I backed it.

From the sounds of it though, I might play on easy the first time just to get a feel for it.

Do we know how long the campaign is suppose to be?

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    supposed to be 10-15 for a single play through, but there are multiple paths throughout so you could probably play it a couple times and have it be reasonably different.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    So i'm wondering if I should turn this baby down to Easy when I play tonight as I want the story and don't really have time to just keep replaying levels over and over again. RockPaperShotgun also said the game is brutally hard, probably too hard.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    gah why am i at work

pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    So i'm wondering if I should turn this baby down to Easy when I play tonight as I want the story and don't really have time to just keep replaying levels over and over again. RockPaperShotgun also said the game is brutally hard, probably too hard.

I agree, I'm going to be turning it down to easy. I can't seem to make it through the first Dredge battle without losing a guy, it's frustrating.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    one lesson I learned retrying the dredge battles in the early game--don't go overboard attacking armor. I was wasting a lot of turns trying to get them to 0 before attacking their strength.

If you have a guy that can take out half their strength even at full armor, go for it.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    I'm having more trouble with the rolelplaying aspect than the battles themselves.

I always seem to make the wrong call...

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    I played a bit of the multiplayer, but it was long enough ago that I've already forgotten anything useful I might've learned.

RPS recommended not turning the difficulty down to easy, saying that without the challenge the fights get really, really boring.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    cckerberos wrote: »
    RPS recommended not turning the difficulty down to easy, saying that without the challenge the fights get really, really boring.
    hm good to know

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png