As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Train Alliance 2013: Sonic Line (DC, PA, NY, Boston)

2»

• Options
    WismerWismer Registered User new member
    Wismer wrote: »
    Any idea why the 176 train costs more than the other trains with similar arrival times?

When I originally bought my ticket it was $74? So not bad -- is it more now? It's always best to buy early.

Well, I was looking at the ticket prices about a month ago. Maybe I was looking at the wrong train number, but I remember two tickets costing $99. For two, we spent ~130.

• Options
    APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    FYI: The "Westies" have commemorative t-shirts! http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/159651/prime-the-6th-annual-west-coast-train-trip/p1

If only I had the time, talent, and creativity...

APacMan on
    We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    FYI: The "Westies" have commemorative t-shirts! http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/159651/prime-the-6th-annual-west-coast-train-trip/p1

If only I had the time, talent, and creativity...

To be fair, it's not like you'd ever wear it. I mean you can't wear it on the train, or you're "that guy," and after? No one wants to wear it after.

• Options
    Schmulki wrote: »
    ...To be fair, it's not like you'd ever wear it. I mean you can't wear it on the train, or you're "that guy," and after? No one wants to wear it after.

Hah, agreed! Maybe if I were traveling with a dozen people that I'd been going to PAX with for years and years... For someone who's group just gets together in Boston, I imagine it has less value.

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I dunno, I think you underestimate who would wear the shirt. There's no reason not to. As long as it's a good design, I wear my commemorative shirts all over the place, esp if I'm with other gamers.

• Options
    BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    Is anyone taking the 174 train? It was only $59 so ill be on it

• Options
    GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    I'm going to follow the Keep It Simple Stupid principle and just aim for the last car. I'm fine being in conversation range of other people and am also fine with gaming on the 3DS.

I'll do plenty of board gaming at the Westin or over the weekend.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Options
    ProeliatorProeliator Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I dunno, I think you underestimate who would wear the shirt. There's no reason not to. As long as it's a good design, I wear my commemorative shirts all over the place, esp if I'm with other gamers.

Agreed, I wear my PAX, SOELive, Creepers Ruin Everything and a ton of other game and convention related shirts. They're actually decent conversations starters.

I'll actually be on the train LINE, but not this train. I'm on Train 172, which leaves Philly at 9:18 AM, so I'll be much earlier than you folks. If anyone else will be on the 172 PAX-bound, PM me!

• Options
    yayitsdanyayitsdan Registered User regular
    Doesn't look like I'll be able to make this train. I'll be on the 94 Northeast Regional which leaves Philly at 3:57pm. Anyone else going to be on that one?

• Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    W00t I am taking a train to PAX East this year (usually I drive), so excited for the PAX Train Alliance

Name:FireWater aka John
    Twitter:@FireWaterFX
    Boarding Stop:Metro Park, Iselin, NJ Train # 176
    Ticket Round trip all set
    Games I'm Bringing: I have a pretty beast gaming laptop, I plan on Bringing that, I play FireFall and Planetside2, I'm happy to join in other card/dice games and learn if that is acceptable.

Quick Question:

I am getting on around 2:47 PM, what are the odds of me getting into the Cafe Car with a table for my Laptop?

• Options
    ElSantosElSantos Registered User regular
    Name: Sam
    Twitter: ElSantos
    Boarding Stop: New Haven, CT
    Ticket Purchased: Yep
    Games You're Bringing: Sadly, I think I'm going to be DS-less. But I will have a netbook and an android phone (those have games I think?), and I might be able to grab Munchkin Bites.

Haven't been to PAX in a few years, looking forward to this. Last time (2010) I remember someone had a fruit fucker flag to show people where to board. Any chance of that going down, or just head to the back car?

• Options
    BigSassyBigSassy Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Name: Eric Palakovich Carr + 7 (maybe more)
    Twitter: @bigsassy
    Boarding Stop: Union Station
    Ticket Purchased: Yep
    Games You're Bringing: Pandemic + expansion, Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart DS

BigSassy on
  • Options
    Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    We have a TON of people going - this is great! Maybe we do need a flag... anyone (preferably coming on at DC or Balt) have one handy? Or maybe I should just wear my buttoneering scarf and try to sit near the front? Wave it out the door when reach a station? It will have about 100 buttons of my avatar on it. Thoughts?

Also, HUGE list update coming soon. :) Also, @bigsassy, I am super looking forward to playing the Pandemic expansion!

Who is going to PAX South?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well, I've typically stood out on the train platform, since I get on at Union Station. I'll try and make a flag or something for this year too. And @Lady Amalthea, you should be! The expansion is awesome :)

BigSassy on
  • Options
    Hey anyone here going to the Seaport Hotel and would like to share a cab?

• Options
    FireWater wrote: »
    Hey anyone here going to the Seaport Hotel and would like to share a cab?

If I understand the train station where everyone gets off (which is actually different than the one I've been using it seems), it should be within walking distance.

I believe there are two stations in Boston, and the first one is further away from the Convention Center. I could be wrong, though.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
  • Options
    @BigSassy, happy to let you keep the tradition! Can't wait to see everyone again!

And @FireWater, the seaport is two stops on the T - which is a $2.00 above ground ride. It's much easier just to do that and walk a few blocks from there. :)

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah if the train terminates at South Station, a trip on the silver line from there puts you directly underneath the Seaport hotel.

• Options
    Thanks for all the helpful information, I was wondering if we had that hashtag our train trip?

• Options
    #sonicline abd #paxtrain have been used in the past - I'll put it to the group - what do you want to use to communicate with each other?

• Options
    Probably #sonicline, #paxtrain may be confusing for the others in the alliance.

• Options
    #sonicline is good, is that hash tag clear for communication? I don't want it to conflict with other outside communication.

• Options
    #sonicline sounds good to me :)

• Options
    #sonicline it is! OP is updated!

• Options
    DKTheArcadeRatDKTheArcadeRat Registered User regular

Name: Dave Kushina +1
    Twitter:@GodDamnitDave
    Boarding Stop: Philadelphia
    Ticket Purchased: Yes
    Games You're Bringing: Probably just my iPad so whatever is on it

I will be on train 170, departing Philly at 6:46am on Friday. Just wanting to see if my friend and I are the only ones.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    @DKTheArcadeRat - This is for train 176, though there were a few people who posted about earlier trains - I don't think anyone who is going as early as the 170...

Lady Amalthea on
  • Options
    BloodSurgeBloodSurge Registered User new member
    My Friend and I will be on the 172 out of Philly.

• Options
    Squill2k4Squill2k4 Registered User regular
    Womp womp. I missed out and I'm taking a different train out of Richmond, VA on Thursday morning (6am, ughhh). Anyone taking the 86 Train up to Boston on Thursday?

• Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    Squill2k4 wrote: »
    Womp womp. I missed out and I'm taking a different train out of Richmond, VA on Thursday morning (6am, ughhh). Anyone taking the 86 Train up to Boston on Thursday?

I had to change my train so now I'm taking the 86.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    Squill2k4Squill2k4 Registered User regular
    xenard wrote: »
    I had to change my train so now I'm taking the 86.

Where/when will you be getting on? We've got 5 people in our group. Only 2 of us are going to PAX but we will be playing lots of games on the ride there.

• Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    Where/when will you be getting on? We've got 5 people in our group. Only 2 of us are going to PAX but we will be playing lots of games on the ride there.

I'm getting on in DC

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    walnuttthewisewalnuttthewise Registered User regular
    Fine train peoples, is there anyone leaving early Thursday on the 174 NorthEast Regional? Let me know and maybe we can play some games.

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular

I'll be on the 86 as well with two other people, getting on in DC.

• Options
    randy_wreckedrandy_wrecked Gunslinger Harrisburg, PARegistered User regular
    Any fellow Sonic Line folks staying at the Hilton Downtown and want to make the trek from South Station together?

Video Game Hangover is a podcast for gamers who overindulge.
    Put it in your ear holes.
  • Options
    2 Days! Union Station 176ers - when are you planning on arriving?

• Options
    Philadelphia 30th Street Paxengers, unite! I'll be at Bridgewater's pub for lunch if anyone wants to meet up.

• Options
    2 Days! Union Station 176ers - when are you planning on arriving?

Probably around noon:30. I'd like to get there early enough to have lunch at one of the crappy locations in the station. However, I'd be up for an earlier lunch at the pub across the street if people want to meet there.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
  • Options
    atrevelanatrevelan Registered User new member
    I'll be on the 176 getting on in Philly. I'll have my 3ds, vita, and plenty of games in tow.

• Options
    BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    Fine train peoples, is there anyone leaving early Thursday on the 174 NorthEast Regional? Let me know and maybe we can play some games.
    I'll be there with 3ds vita and maybe some board games

• Options
    walnuttthewisewalnuttthewise Registered User regular
    I'll be there with 3ds vita and maybe some board games
    Awesomeness, glad we won't be the only ones on the early train. My wife and I will have our 3DSs. Mario Kart 7 tournament!