As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TRENCHES] Thursday, February 28, 2013 - Illusory

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited February 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Illusory

Illusory
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/illusory

Now with more Sarah.

Anonymous

This is from the days of me being a game development student.

I was working diligently on our final term project as a team leader, responsible for four other people who were working on art asset creation.

While testing our latest build, fairly close to deadline, I noticed that none of the models from one of the artists had been committed. I asked him about this, and he sort of avoided giving me a direct answer, citing a technical issue with his portable drive.

I asked if I could take a look at his drive, and he reluctantly allowed it. Not only did I find almost no assets usable in our game, but I found something else altogether unsettling. The most recently modified files on the drive (by a long shot) was an iterative series of a 3D model of Sarah Palin.

...I only wish I had kept the models.

Geth on

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    That Courier is palling around with the Legion, dontcha know.

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    i just want to know the structure of this work place

so did Q hire developers as well?? how is he as QA lead qualified at all to run a studio? did he hire developers from the old studio? has he not hired devs yet? why is he bothering with hiring so much QA when he doesnt even have anything to QA yet. How did he get a building together so fast??

What I love about this comic is that they work at a studio and the troubles they face with that and right now there's kinda no visibility on.. well.. their work place or what they're doing. Before it was okay because you could ignore the rest of the studio structure because they were just QA on a bigger title shoved off to the side. But now I'm confused because it's some new indie company lead by a QA lead?

Like I really dig the characters and the plot and stuff and I recommend it to people, I'm just really confused as to what the heck is going on right now. Everything moved so fast. Why are they even showing a announcement, have they got a green light from a publisher yet? Are they self publishing? Who made that demo? Like, I'm sure the writers have loads of devs and stuff to ask about this sort of stuff so I'm sure they know how everything works, I just really... I wanna know where this is going. I hope their world opens up more. I'm excited but very confused.

• JohnnyricoMCJohnnyricoMC Registered User regular
    They shoulda used that Palin model as an unlockable or a special event NPC. Call it "Lara Hayling" or something.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I would say "This is where Isaac steps up and leads based on his past", but they kind of just do whatever they want with the comic and zig when we think they will zag.

steam_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I would say "This is where Isaac steps up and leads based on his past", but they kind of just do whatever they want with the comic and zig when we think they will zag.

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised by the lack of any sort of development of Isaac as a character.

What is this I don't even.
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    how is he as QA lead qualified at all to run a studio?

You assume one must be qualified to start a company.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    To be fair, Q got promoted from QA lead to the developer team at Lawstar.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    DVG wrote: »

this

qualifications are for chumps who have to work for other people

if you start your own company the only thing that matters is making it profitable, not how many pieces of paper you have on your walls

• theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    DVG wrote: »

this

qualifications are for chumps who have to work for other people

if you start your own company the only thing that matters is making it profitable, not how many pieces of paper you have on your walls

I can't speak for CVG, but I think the point was that people in lofty positions are sometimes wildly incompetent.

Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • azmod2000azmod2000 Registered User regular
    The story reminds me of a group development project from my days at the university. We divided the work and a the deadline approached we needed to integrate the different parts. One guy was late with his work so we were forced to work around it and hope he would come through in the end. In retrospect we should have managed the project better and had tighter milestones but we were all uber stressed from our other courses and we defaulted to an honour system. A week before the project was due we found out that the other guy did none of the work and had in fact dropped out of the program and neglected to tell us.

• IamToochIamTooch Registered User regular
    azmod2000 wrote: »
    A week before the project was due we found out that the other guy did none of the work and had in fact dropped out of the program and neglected to tell us.

In university one learns things in a situation where the consequences don't usually include losing your house, car, partner, and dog. Count yourself bruised and lucky.

• Sgt.Big_BubbaloolaSgt.Big_Bubbaloola That's Mr to you! Everywhere man....Registered User regular
    the point was that people in lofty positions are sometimes wildly incompetent.

You'd be terrified how often that rule applies to local government. Actually that is pretty much a pre-requisite for employment at that level.

Well gosh, I suppose I might as well settle in for a nice cuppa ...... this is gonna be good!
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Damn, that guy already has an epic mount.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I think I'd pay $10 to have that actual mount in WoW.

What is this I don't even.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The only thing more awesome would be for Captain Placeholder to carry you around on his shoulders.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I think I'd pay $10 to have that actual mount in WoW.
    I'd pay $20 to replace some other player's epic mount with it.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    They must be working on Aliens: Colonial Marines.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    IamTooch wrote: »
    azmod2000 wrote: »
    A week before the project was due we found out that the other guy did none of the work and had in fact dropped out of the program and neglected to tell us.

In university one learns things in a situation where the consequences don't usually include losing your house, car, partner, and dog. Count yourself bruised and lucky.

At least in the working world though, you have bosses who can demand to see progress, and if that fails you can at least take the ten steps to their cubical and see what they're doing. In group school projects no one has that authority, and if someone tries to act like they do anyways they're usually assholes.

Maybe I'm just lucky but even my worst work projects have been easier to make progress on than my best school ones.