As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] First time to PAX East? Read This!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey all I was doing some thinking about things I need to do before PAX and one major thing everyone should do is contact their bank, If you have never been to PAX or even if you have It is a great idea to contact your bank and let them know you will be heading to Boston MA.

Why? because almost all banks have security features on their account bank cards that will automatically freeze your credit card if it sees spending limits different then what it has seen, it is always a good idea to let them know so you won't be embarrassed or stuck waiting to get it figured out or getting upset because the clerk keeps telling you its declined when you know there is money in the account.

Hope this info helps.

Indeed, very good advice whenever travelling. Most banks are pretty good about hotels and meals since they are normal travel expenses, but when in Seattle for PAX Prime I went to a grocery store and that got me on the fraud alert lockdown.

• TechGamingNewsTechGamingNews CEO Cape May, NJ.Registered User regular
    I was going to post here, But I wanted to make sure that members that aren't first timers could see it as well.

DALTON DOOLY | CEO | T&G News
    http://techandgamingnews.com
    --
    [x]Media Pass [x] Hotel [x] Rental

I am not an exhibitor I am press I am not trying to step on toes, I am attending some Community functions to meet new people and have a good time.
  • EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    For those looking for cheap business/contact cards. Moo (http://us.moo.com/products/facebook-cards.html) is giving away 50 free* facebook cards. It's worth signing up for facebook just for this.

*plus shipping and handling

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Hey all I was doing some thinking about things I need to do before PAX and one major thing everyone should do is contact their bank, If you have never been to PAX or even if you have It is a great idea to contact your bank and let them know you will be heading to Boston MA.

Why? because almost all banks have security features on their account bank cards that will automatically freeze your credit card if it sees spending limits different then what it has seen, it is always a good idea to let them know so you won't be embarrassed or stuck waiting to get it figured out or getting upset because the clerk keeps telling you its declined when you know there is money in the account.

Hope this info helps.

Indeed, very good advice whenever travelling. Most banks are pretty good about hotels and meals since they are normal travel expenses, but when in Seattle for PAX Prime I went to a grocery store and that got me on the fraud alert lockdown.

Too true. In fact my credit card got blocked on the first two PAX East trips. I'm adding this to the main post.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • citizencraigcitizencraig Registered User new member

Hello all! This will be my first time at this event. I have recently moved to the Boston area and wasn't sure if I would be able to attend until recently. I was wondering if there is any way to purchase tickets without the potential of getting scammed. Are tickets even transferable?

Also, are there certain days that are better to attend than others? I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore gamer and am just interested in having a unique and fun experience. I've also been interested in the potential of developing boardgames and/or apps as well... so any tips related to that would be helpful and appreciated too!

Are there other places to get to know attendees before going?

THANKS!
    Craig

Tickets are transferable, as in if I hand you my ticket, it is now your ticket. However, there are no "approved" methods of resale short of you having either absolute trust in the seller, or asking the seller to meet you in person at the pax info desk to have the tickets verified.

There are a ton of events going on to meet people at pax, just take a look through these forums :)

• citizencraigcitizencraig Registered User new member
    Thanks for the guidance zerzhul!

• Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Regarding PAX East passes: have they been mailed out yet? Also, are they being sent USPS, UPS, or FedEx? (want to know what sort of box to be on the lookout for)
    I've been to PAX East before, but this is my first time where I've gotten my passes myself, instead of friends getting them along with theirs.

Fetch26291 on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    No. USPS if you're in the US, Fedex for international orders.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Fetch26291 wrote: »
    Regarding PAX East passes: have they been mailed out yet? Also, are they being sent USPS, UPS, or FedEx? (want to know what sort of box to be on the lookout for)
    I've been to PAX East before, but this is my first time where I've gotten my passes myself, instead of friends getting them along with theirs.

Just remember, do not take pictures of them once they are delivered. :-) Do not feed the scammers.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    That rule was lifted for Prime 2012. It only mattered when the security features were totally unknown. They are now known, so it's not really a thing that matters anymore.

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any advice for someone who is bringing there spouse, but the spouse is not attending Pax? I'm attending Pax but he is going to do the touristy thing in Boston. Any tips to maximize my Pax experience, yet still have a little time with him?

• cookiekrushcookiekrush Registered User regular
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advice for someone who is bringing there spouse, but the spouse is not attending Pax? I'm attending Pax but he is going to do the touristy thing in Boston. Any tips to maximize my Pax experience, yet still have a little time with him?

Do you mean things to do together, or things the spouse can do on their own? Do you also mean, just PAX related things or just Boston things in general?

If you're coming early, I'd recommend the Magical Mystery Tour. Gives you a great chance to check out tourist spots in Boston.

Pinny Pals - open to trading!
    Looking for Edith Finch Pin!
  • gamerman1227gamerman1227 Registered User regular

Honestly, Boston isn't really "touristy" the way NYC is. There's lots of hostorical sites to see, and museum tupe stuff if that's what you're into, but personally I find Boston on the whole to be quite boring.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular

Honestly, Boston isn't really "touristy" the way NYC is. There's lots of hostorical sites to see, and museum tupe stuff if that's what you're into, but personally I find Boston on the whole to be quite boring.

this seems to be an incredibly subjective statement.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • cookiekrushcookiekrush Registered User regular

I think it depends what you're looking for. Comparing Boston and NYC is difficult because of the venues and sights are very different. It's comparing apples to oranges IMHO. There are more historical sites in Boston, but there are more art venues in NYC. However, each place has their perks and downs.

@jdixon1972 - Honestly, just think about what you'd and your spouse would like to do. :)

Pinny Pals - open to trading!
    Looking for Edith Finch Pin!
  • ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    Boston Tourist Tips:

Buy a week long MBTA card so you can use the subway and buses for free over and over. It's not going to take you that long to figure the system out and you don't want to rely on cabs.

Go on a Duck Tour and get your tickets ahead of time, don't bother with the trolley tours unless your doing something specific like the Haunted one.

Check out the Museum of Science, the Museum of Fine Arts, and the Institute of Contemporary Art.

Eat well. Boston has a great food scene, and PAXEast coincides with Restaurant week this year: http://www.restaurantweekboston.com/

For Theatre go to BosTix, and get cheap seats the day of the show. Lots of plays go to Boston before New York.

The Bruins play the Maple Leafs at home the Monday after PAX. I'm just saying.

Go to MIT and get lost, after checking out their Computer Museum. Steve Wozniak has been know to hang out in there on occasion and he doesn't even live in Boston.

If you're going to be arriving in Boston on Wednesday or Thursday, the MMT provides some great touristy things that you could do together that are also with some PAX folks. If that doesn't sound up your alley, or you simply would rather do things just the two of you, the MMT list of ideas is still a solid set of touristy things to do in the city.

• DoctehDocteh Registered User regular
    Where do I get an MBTA card? Like can I get one at a/the station at the airport? (BOS)

Another thing im interested in is picking up some sort of SIM. I have an unlocked Nexus 4 and I'd like to get a prepaid phone for the week.

edited March 2013
    Docteh wrote: »
    Where do I get an MBTA card? Like can I get one at a/the station at the airport? (BOS)

Another thing im interested in is picking up some sort of SIM. I have an unlocked Nexus 4 and I'd like to get a prepaid phone for the week.

I *think* you can get a charlie card at any T station (that's the card that you can load with money and re-use over and over and over), but I know for a fact you can get a 7-day ride card (flat fee for a week of rides) at any T station (I do this for every East, grab it at the WTC station right under the Seaport hotel). As far as where to get a SIM, I have no clue.

zerzhul on
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013

I *think* you can get a charlie card at any T station (that's the card that you can load with money and re-use over and over and over), but I know for a fact you can get a 7-day ride card (flat fee for a week of rides) at any T station (I do this for every East, grab it at the WTC station right under the Seaport hotel). As far as where to get a SIM, I have no clue.

That's pretty spot on, charlie cards used to be abundant when they came first came out, but these days they're a little more scarce. It's kind of a gamble whether you would find one or not.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »

That's pretty spot on, charlie cards used to be abundant when they came first came out, but these days they're a little more scarce. It's kind of a gamble whether you would find one or not.

For more info, you might want to check this link
    http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/charlie/default.asp?id=5602#HowdoIgetaCharlieCard?

• Certain.shade.of.greenCertain.shade.of.green Registered User regular

Any city that you might go to will be boring in a "touristy" way if you don't plan activities ahead of time. Boston and NY offer different things, but without a doubt both offer plenty to do.

• SchmoeSchmoe CanadaRegistered User regular

T-Mobile has some sort of pay per day deal where I believe you can just buy a SIM (for under 10$) and then pay 3$ a day for unlimited talk (local, no doubt), text and internet. I have yet to actually use this but I have a friend who apparently did this successfully last year and I hope to do it myself this year - *if* it's as simple as it sounds. The pricing and details are on their website.

HTH.

• DagnomeDagnome New HampshireRegistered User new member
    edited March 2013
    So this will be my first time going to an event like this. I have been an avid gamer for well over 15 years now and since this one is located close enough to me so I decided to jump on the bandwagon and go check it out (Not to mention the Warframe crew will be there). So I guess what I am getting at with this thread is who wants to be my tour guide?

But seriously, I am looking for tips, advice, anything really to help me get through Friday and Saturday. ;p Like I said I have never been to an event like this so I really dont know what to expect.

Dagnome on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Hi Dagnome, Whypick's right, there's a first timers thread that answers a LOT of the questions you may have about PAX. If you have questions about what to expect out of being a first timer at PAX, that's the thread to be in. If you have questions in general about the convention, don't forget to look at the FAQ that's stickied to the top of the PAX East forum.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • DagnomeDagnome New HampshireRegistered User new member
    I did a quick search over the great interwebs and I think that article came up, but if that's the "Go to guide" i will give it another read. Thanks.

Magic!

• VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Magic!

I believe in it!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Agent00Agent00 Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
  • mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    I believe this probably used to be a seperate thread but then got merged into this one.

What he said.

• AlpineAnticAlpineAntic Registered User regular
    Has anyone brought a flask into PAX? More curious than anything.

Has anyone brought a flask into PAX? More curious than anything.

I am not certain, but I believe you are not allowed to consume alcohol at the event that is not purchased at the BCEC bar.

That would be correct. Feel free to bring a flask though, so long as "flask" means "water bottle to be used for water because staying hydrated at PAX is very important".

• AlpineAnticAlpineAntic Registered User regular
    That is what I figured. Thanks guys

• Rabid DogRabid Dog Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    That would be correct. Feel free to bring a flask though, so long as "flask" means "water bottle to be used for water because staying hydrated at PAX is very important".

You mean there's another meaning for "flask"? =0

• zgamer200zgamer200 Registered User regular
    First time to Pax, I read the posts, so basically a backpack, some snacks and water, my DS and phone, and comfortable shoes will work? I'm only going Saturday(oh the hardships of being a highschooler), so I'd think that's plenty for just 1 day, but can never hurt to ask wiser and more experienced people on the forums.

• zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    zgamer200 wrote: »
    First time to Pax, I read the posts, so basically a backpack, some snacks and water, my DS and phone, and comfortable shoes will work? I'm only going Saturday(oh the hardships of being a highschooler), so I'd think that's plenty for just 1 day, but can never hurt to ask wiser and more experienced people on the forums.
    Sounds good.
    If you gonna hit the expo hall try to to bring a small bottle (less than 3 fl. oz.) of hand sanitizer. Sanitize your hands before and after demoing games and whatnot. You don't want to catch PAX Pox™.

Edit: Taking a vitamin C tablet or having a glass of orange juice in the morning could help fight off any potential PAX Pox™ as well.

zeromyst on
    CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.