As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] Planning Thread: Girls Meetup

jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment!Brookline, MARegistered User regular
Hey all! juju here - this is a general interest thread for the Girls Meetup, which is traditionally a brunch Sunday morning

Last year's meetup was at Max & Dylan's, which was a bit out of the way. Fortunately, they were PHENOMENAL in their accommodations. We were also working with the fact that it was Easter Sunday, so many places I would have looked up were not open. The food, for what we paid for, was amazing and a huge variety. The downside of PAX East's location is that it's pretty barren and up-and-coming; most of the local Fort Point restaurants don't serve breakfast and the ones that do, we've quickly outgrown their surroundings.

I got a few messages trying to see if we can do it in a local hotel. Proximity would be closer, but it would probably be more expensive. Splitting cabs to and from is an option if you guys are open to it, as cabs are plentiful near PAX East. I have a few ideas in mind, but I want to see what you ladies are interested in.

If anyone has any thoughts or feedback as to what we should do, please let me know. Also, if anyone works in the FiDi or downtown and wants to help with logistics, I could definitely use a spare hand as I am an Enforcer, run a Pokecrawl team, and have various other engagements throughout the PAX week that I'll need to devote time to.

Thanks!
juju

PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
Twitter: @jujukoo
[E]

• Options
    AboutLastNightAboutLastNight Whitney Registered User regular
    juju wrote: »
    Hey all! juju here - this is a general interest thread for the Girls Meetup, which is traditionally a brunch Sunday morning

Last year's meetup was at Max & Dylan's, which was a bit out of the way. Fortunately, they were PHENOMENAL in their accommodations. We were also working with the fact that it was Easter Sunday, so many places I would have looked up were not open. The food, for what we paid for, was amazing and a huge variety. The downside of PAX East's location is that it's pretty barren and up-and-coming; most of the local Fort Point restaurants don't serve breakfast and the ones that do, we've quickly outgrown their surroundings.

I got a few messages trying to see if we can do it in a local hotel. Proximity would be closer, but it would probably be more expensive. Splitting cabs to and from is an option if you guys are open to it, as cabs are plentiful near PAX East. I have a few ideas in mind, but I want to see what you ladies are interested in.

If anyone has any thoughts or feedback as to what we should do, please let me know. Also, if anyone works in the FiDi or downtown and wants to help with logistics, I could definitely use a spare hand as I am an Enforcer, run a Pokecrawl team, and have various other engagements throughout the PAX week that I'll need to devote time to.

Thanks!
    juju

MJ oconnors may be an option, but they're always packed from the spillover from pax. I went to elephant and castle 2 years in a row and they're great, and not too far from the BCEC. If you want something quick, cheap and yummy and a little more relaxed, SAUS is a French fry/waffle place that has awesome food.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    was there a reason other than easter that lucky's wasn't used last year? i remember going there the year before and it seemed suitable, and VERY conveniently located. i think the proximity thing is pretty important, especially since sunday is a shorter day at pax. personally, i'd prefer compromising on other factors (price, food selection, etc) to have a place close by.

mimosas, however, are non-negotiable.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    As scared as I am of people introverted as I am I'd be interested in this! I seriously need female friends who don't look at me like I sprouted an extra head when I start talking nerdy stuff.

• Options
    This-CatalystThis-Catalyst Registered User regular
    I really liked Max & Dylan's last year. Food was fantastic, and I didn't find the distance to be that bad for cab-splitting. I wasn't wild about the food for the cost at Lucky's, and I felt like the meeting space there wasn't as good for talking (smaller tables farther apart, if I recall correctly). That said, it certainly wasn't bad by any measure, I just preferred Max & Dylan's. (I am also easily biased by tasty food.)

I'd be up for pretty much anything, personally. Closer seems like a good way to get a better turnout, and I don't mind paying a little more for it.

I'm also up for meeting earlier than Sunday for drinks, etc. whether that's a formal thing or an informal thing. I'm not a Bostonian, so I unfortunately can't help with much as far as planning goes, but let me know if there is anything that I can do.

• Options
    treezatreeza Registered User regular
    Ana Ng wrote: »
    As scared as I am of people introverted as I am I'd be interested in this! I seriously need female friends who don't look at me like I sprouted an extra head when I start talking nerdy stuff.
    Hahaha, me too!! Also, I love TMBG.

I got a 3-day pass for this year, and am staying at a hotel in Back Bay. I would prefer meeting somewhere close to BCEC, but I'm okay with cab-splitting too!

@juju Thanks for organizing!

• Options
    AboutLastNightAboutLastNight Whitney Registered User regular

Ana Ng wrote: »

Haha then PAX is the place to go! No one will think anyone is weird or different because we're all there for the same reason. And it would be awesome to hang out with more girls there. If we have a common hotel we can meet there, or we can meet somewhere close or in the BCEC, or maybe meet up in the mornings and wait in line to check out demos/booths.

• Options
    I'm also up for meeting earlier than Sunday for drinks, etc. whether that's a formal thing or an informal thing. I'm not a Bostonian, so I unfortunately can't help with much as far as planning goes, but let me know if there is anything that I can do.

the brunch is great, but i do like the idea of doing something a little more informal earlier in the weekend. it seems a shame to meet so many cool ladies just as pax is ending!

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    Hopefully I can make it this year! I had purchased my seat and everything, and then I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in years and we spent Sunday morning catching up.

Sauciety at the Westin has semi-private rooms available for groups. It's expensive, but it wouldn't hurt to look into.

• Options
    aneksianeksi Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    was there a reason other than easter that lucky's wasn't used last year? i remember going there the year before and it seemed suitable, and VERY conveniently located. i think the proximity thing is pretty important, especially since sunday is a shorter day at pax. personally, i'd prefer compromising on other factors (price, food selection, etc) to have a place close by.

mimosas, however, are non-negotiable.

I missed out last year but I agree, the brunch we did in 2011 was awesome and was just a short walk.

• Options
    just reviewed last year's thread, looks like lucky's had a bit of a space issue which contributed to the change of venue.

just throwing this out there, but if some of the nearby venues (or even in-hotel spaces) are cost-prohibitive, would anyone be into the idea of doing a chipin or something for donations to defray the costs? that way those of us who can afford to pay a little more can donate into a pot to reduce per-person cost, thereby allowing those who can't afford a higher price to attend. it may also help the planning process to have a general fund that can be used for any advance costs. did i explain that in a way that makes sense? is it a crazy idea?

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    aneksianeksi Registered User regular
    It makes sense to me. I'd personally need a monetary amount before I could agree to pay extra but I don't see why we couldn't pick up a donation here/there for the girls who are tight on money.

just reviewed last year's thread, looks like lucky's had a bit of a space issue which contributed to the change of venue.

just throwing this out there, but if some of the nearby venues (or even in-hotel spaces) are cost-prohibitive, would anyone be into the idea of doing a chipin or something for donations to defray the costs? that way those of us who can afford to pay a little more can donate into a pot to reduce per-person cost, thereby allowing those who can't afford a higher price to attend. it may also help the planning process to have a general fund that can be used for any advance costs. did i explain that in a way that makes sense? is it a crazy idea?

• Options

I think it's a great idea.

We could also do a basic raffle or something, where for each set amount of money chipped into the donation pot, you get a raffle ticket in addition to the warm fuzzies. That way, even if someone isn't able to defray costs financially, they can contribute things like tasty baked goods, crafty things, nerdy stuff, etc. to raffle at the brunch.

• Options
    oh, i do love the idea of the raffle! definitely makes it more fun.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    Lucky's was definitely a space issue. It is also one of a small handful of venues that is even open for breakfast during PAX. It was a tight squeeze, and we had more interest the year after that.

Great, I'll look into all your thoughts, make some calls, and get back to you guys in 2 days or so.

[E]
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    I was probably the quietest person at the meetup last year but I still had fun. :)

Location-wise I don't have a problem with the place we did last year, since I'll be taking the T in every day anyway and it wasn't far out of the way. Food-wise it was great also. I'm a little wary about paying to have breakfast in a hotel, since most breakfasts that I've had in hotels are nothing but coffee and pastries both of which make me kind of ill. But I dont have serious allergies or anything like that, so any full breakfast selection will certainly have stuff I can eat.

• Options
    for those of us who are interested in meeting up earlier than sunday, what do you think about a friday or saturday afternoon tea? i just discovered this lovely chocolate cafe only a few blocks from the bcec, so it wouldn't take too much time out of your paxing, but would be a nice little break. they serve chocolates, pastries, coffees, and teas. i was thinking about 4pm? it would be completely informal, no signing up or making reservations, just show up at the designated time if you feel like it. what do you think?

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    That sounds like a really good idea, I'd be nervous of committing to something before the panel schedule is out so planning something that doesn't require reservations appeals to me.

• Options
    PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I would love to go to this, I wanted to go last year but didn't make it.

The afternoon tea sounds fun too, as I will be saving up all of my pennies to buy some dollars just before we go.

pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    I really hope to make it this year! I got sick the morning of last year and I was really sad I couldn't make it.

bftgk95jb551.png

• Options
    any updates on this situation?

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    @juju is currently out of the country. Maybe PM her so she'll have something in her inbox when she gets back? :)

• Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    Hey, Zer is right - I'm currently out of the country.

I had a few personal issues in the following weeks after I posted - literally days after I posted I had big job and family crises hit simultaneously, so I apologize that I haven't been on point. I just learned recently that I will be starting a new job the moment I get back 20 miles outside of the city. If you guys still want to do this I can try to put together something or if someone else wants to field an attempt at taking over this year, let me know. For the next four days, though, I will be 13 time zones away.

If I can get 10-15 girls to commit to it for sure by the weekend, I can get something together in the 3 days I have before I start my new job, most probably. The price point will be the same - $20-25 (unlimited food), access to alcohol, breakfast food with many options. The likelihood of it being in proximity to where it was before is strong, because realistically, Fort Point (the neighborhood PAX is in) is full of expensive, upscale food options that aren't breakfast friendly.

...or we can turn it into a lunch at around 11-11:30am and it opens up a host of options.

What do you guy think?

[E]
  • Options
    zezspecszezspecs ScotlandRegistered User regular
    I'm up for whatever is going on. I loved going to this before, and I will definitely go again.

• Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    I am interested! I had a good time last year and it was lovely to get away from crappy food and the hustle and bustle of the BCEC for a little while.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    I'm interested, too! Which location are you thinking of (Max & Dylan's)?

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    I am definitely committed for either brunch or lunch, whichever is preferred.

• Options
    donnanoblehasbeensaveddonnanoblehasbeensaved Falls Church, VARegistered User regular
    I would kinda lean towards doing something on not-Sunday, both because I would love to meet people early enough to hang out, and because I hear the Gamers With Jobs panel will be on Sunday around noon, but I suspect I am outnumbered! I went to the last two brunches and they were certainly fabulous. I know Sunday morning is appealing because brunch + generally lighter programming. However, if anyone would be interested in, say, Thursday or Friday drinks or dinner, I would be all over that like white on rice. Two years ago my dudefriend and I went to the Prudential Center Wagamama for dinner and it was made of affordable ramen-y awesome, so maybe something like that could be an option? I don't think they have an event space/reservable room though...

• Options
    I would kinda lean towards doing something on not-Sunday, both because I would love to meet people early enough to hang out, and because I hear the Gamers With Jobs panel will be on Sunday around noon, but I suspect I am outnumbered! I went to the last two brunches and they were certainly fabulous. I know Sunday morning is appealing because brunch + generally lighter programming. However, if anyone would be interested in, say, Thursday or Friday drinks or dinner, I would be all over that like white on rice. Two years ago my dudefriend and I went to the Prudential Center Wagamama for dinner and it was made of affordable ramen-y awesome, so maybe something like that could be an option? I don't think they have an event space/reservable room though...

i had previously suggested an informal (ie no reservations/signups) meetup for ladies afternoon tea on friday or saturday for this same purpose. waiting to see the schedule to decide which day looks better, then it would just kind of be an arrive-at-your-leisure kind of deal. this would, however, be in addition to the formal brunch, not in place of it.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    donnanoblehasbeensaveddonnanoblehasbeensaved Falls Church, VARegistered User regular
    @tvethiopa Sweeeeet. I hope something works out! I would love to actually be useful and help plan, but grad school is eating my soul/time and I just can't.

• Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I am definitely committed to Sunday brunch or Sunday lunch - this meetup is one of the events I look forward to all damn year. :) I may drop in on an informal tea, but I'll have to see what my schedule's like.

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's possible to ask this without upsetting anyone, so keep in mind that I'm not trying to upset anyone.

I am female and don't understand why there's a girls-only meetup. Sure there are more guys at pax, but it's not like women are hard to find. I met plenty without trying, and it seems a bit... short-sighted to cut a meetup's target group down to one gender. What's the reasoning behind it?

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    So we can get together and drink mimosas and talk about doing the dishes.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    There are lots of meetups at PAX! Many of them are for men and women! There are meetups for card players, meetups for fans of particular games, meetups for Pokemon players, meetups for all kinds of people. I personally run a meetup for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, asexual...I'll be at this all day...and 'straight but friendly' gamers.

Thing is, though, some of us want to hang with just women sometimes. It's not that we don't love the men in our lives. It's not that we think boys are stupid. It's just that, well, sometimes it's easier to be yourself around other women. Sometimes you want to talk about things that other women will understand best. Sometimes you just want to relax and unwind without the pressure that sometimes comes from dealing with men. In my experience, PAX is USUALLY a really cool place for everyone...but there have been incidents of misogyny and general unpleasantness. There have been male attendees who have rubbed me and others the wrong way. And sometimes some of us just feel a little tension around guys, for whatever reason. So this is a chance to get away from that. To just hang. Just...be.

If that's not something you're interested in, that's cool. But it's something some of us want, or even need, during the weekend. That's all.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    BTW, juju, my friend Katie just asked me to RSVP too. So that's two definite yes votes from Camp Themiscyra. She also said she'd prefer brunch over lunch (as would I).

Themiscyra on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    i am currently in love with both @TabooPhantasy and @Themiscyra for those excellent responses. well done.

EDIT: also, lock me in for this thing. i am committed. i should also be at least +1, maybe +2.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    I am committed if it's brunch. If it becomes lunch, I become unsure. I have other things that need doing on Sunday.

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    @alkoe I would second what everyone else said, and somewhat selfishly, I really enjoy ditching my (male) significant other now and then to hang out with my (female) friends. I love the dude, and we will probably spend 90% of PAX doing the same stuff, but man is it fun to go to the girls' meetup and the stitch 'n bitch without him.

I don't know how many PAX events you've been to before, but if you have a special interest of any kind, I really encourage you to seek out the meetup for it - one probably already exists or can be assembled. PAX is overwhelming in size, and yeah, I've made friends in line or while snagging a seat for lunch, but it's great to find a preassembled smaller group of people like yourself. I think the wonderful thing about PAX is how very many unofficial groups do things on their own, whether it's the forumers, girls, LGBTQ gamers, people who REALLY dig Pokemon, musicians, bloggers, or whatever. I hope you find something you can join!

• Options
    Amoeba Amoeba Registered User regular
    This sounds so cool! This is going to be my first PAX, so a meetup will be good for me. And I happen to adore brunch :D I'm totally up for Sunday Lunch too though. But I'm afraid I can't make it for any of the other days.

• Options
    BreeFaithBreeFaith Voice Actress NYRegistered User regular
    Hiiii, My name is Bree/Brittany and I'm a cosplayer/voiceactress/magicplayer/videogamers~ And I am totally interested in this! However I leave sunday morning to go back to school :C But if there is any femme meet up before Sunday AM I would love to go! :D

Voice Actress from Strife, Heroes of Newerth, Lovely Little Thieves, Huniepop & More
    Casting & Directing for YIIK, Mind: Path to Thalamus, MB Voiceworks
    brittanylauda.com
    www.facebook.com/brittanylaudavo
    @brittanylaudavo
  • Options
    g00dkingg00dking Registered User new member
    +1! I've never been to PAX before and am looking to meet other women. Glad to join Sunday brunch or lunch :D

This discussion has been closed.