As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Call of Cthulhu - IC] Whispers in the Darkness

• PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    [Cayrus]
    A rail thin young man is laying propped against the bottom of the stairway, gazing intently through the open doorway at his feet. He is dressed in a torn pair of red checked pants, with a studded black leather vest, massive combat boots, and the drooping remnants of a mohawk. A rivulet of blood is streaming down the boy's left arm. He's holding the nub of a cigarette in his hand, and between horrid moans he seems to be in a whispered conversation with whoever is on the other side of the door frame.
    [El Skid]
    Jenny gives you another lingering uncertain glance before gesturing meekly down a row of books. "It...maybe it's down on that third shelf, or...oh...perhaps over by the supply lift. It's so quiet down here isn't it? I'll just go look by the study cubicles I think...Yes, maybe it's over that way."
    [Captain Marcus and Peff]
    While von Todt feels a twinge of concern and confusion for the boy, Javier slumps to the ground almost immediately. Without taking any notice, Brian continues to talk in a dream-like voice, gazing calmly at the slide of powdered sample. "You know, it shouldn't be here. The powder, it's cocaine, or it should be. But it's not cocaine. Aufenbaum, he had some curious notions on the planet Pluto. The interloper planet. He insisted it would sustain life. Plants of the most incredible types, laying dense and blue on its surface. Funny. What's that noise?"

Brian, his eyes still darkly red, sits on the floor abruptly and begins to gaze intently at his palms.

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Todt looks from the muttering graduate student to his partner, slumped on the floor, and back to the boy.

"Verdammt!" (Damn it!)

Running over to Brian, he attempts to grab the boy's hands.

Grapple check untrained vs 25
    1d100->5 success

"Hey! Brian! Snap out of it! Quit thinking about Pluto!"

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Guy bravely sticks the possible location in memory before following Jenny back towards the cubicles. The doctors always took so long doing their science, he had time for a bit of a detour before he started to hit the books.

"I 'ave a good feeling about zis direction, mon chere..."

El Skid on
  • CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    Nathan slowly moves down the stairs.

"Son, you okay down there?"

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
    von Todt grabs the boy and shakes him vigorously. His nose has begun to bleed freely, and the blood mixes on his face with the tears he is silently shedding. He stirs from his daze for a moment and looks at you. "I've been there, you know. The dark reaches. They have a place for us there, so cold you don't even know it. Just like the book told me. Would you like to go with me? A place for us there..." The boy's eyes roll back into his head, and he slumps in your arms.
    [Cayrus]
    The boy nods thoughtfully for a moment, and makes a shushing gesture towards the doorway. He looks up at you, and in the shadows of the stairwell, you could swear his eyes were solid black. He is visibly shivering now, and his fallen spiked hair bounces against his scalp limply. With the ash of the cigarette smearing onto his shirt, he slowly rolls up the sleeve of his left arm. He turns his forearm toward you with a smile. Deep into the flesh, still raw and bleeding, the boy has carved a symbol.
    bjjZC.jpg
    "Khasmarot. It's almost time"
    [El Skid]
    Guy corners Jenny near one of the cubicles with a hungry look on his face. She places the book in her hands (Transcriptions from the Nophru Ka) and looks down at her feet. "I don't....I haven't really...My boyfriend, he, uh, he goes to school out of state...I'm not sure I should."

edited February 2013
    Guy gently touches Jenny's cheek, sending a shiver down her spine, and smiles. "It is all right. We do not have to do anysing you do not want to do, mon cherie. I can simply take ze book and go, though my heart would be heavy at ze thought of what could have been... or..." he leaned down so that his lips were nearly touching hers, "...or what could still be, if you will but lean forward and embrace ze fiery passion we both feel."

El Skid on
  • CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    "Jesus Christ kid!" Nathan shouts as he halts a few stairs up from the man. Ever since he'd been shot in the line of duty a few years before, the sight of blood had given him nightmarish flashbacks to the assassination attempt.

Hallucinations and self-harm; the punk is probably ODing on something right now, he though, overcoming his fear a bit.

"Son, we need to get you to a doctor," Nathan said as he stepped down the final few stairs to help the kid up.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Checking first to make sure the student is unconscious and not dead, Todt lowers him gently to the floor and stands up.
    Medicine check 1d100 vs 80- 63 pass

He looks at the two people lying on the ground.

"Scheisse. Well, I'd better get the nurse."

Opening the door he looks around for a secretary or someone to help.

"Hello? Hey! Anyone! Could someone get the nurse?"

Captain Marcus on
    [Peff and Captain Marcus]
    At von Todt's shouting, Javier rouses from his stupor and sits up, looking right at the slumped body of Brian, which has begun to gently convulse. Out in the hallway, von Todt finds nothing but an empty corridor. The area is deathly quiet.

[El Skid]
    Jenny's resistance crumbles, and you both quickly do what comes naturally on the small desk of the study cubicle. As you grunt and moan among the dusty tomes and occult paintings, Guy begins to hear whispers in the back of his skull. The voices form a varied multitude of accents and voices, are just faint enough to be indecipherable. At first the noise seems to provide a welcome distraction and delaying tactic, but soon the jumbled whispers give way to a roaring maw of darkness opening in the back of your skull. A brief flash of that horrid vision from the night before nearly blinds you, and as you give into the blackness, you're certain you see the face of a grinning old man watching you from between the shelves of books.

[Cayrus]
    "Khasmarot" Of course. The secrets of all flesh, and the tales of the Red Edge. You remember now, the memories of all species. The chilling reverie is broken, and you look down to see the youth beginning to carve the same symbol into your arm, using a switchblade that he had pulled from his pocket. The young punk is humming some horrible a-tonal beat to himself as he works the knife into your flesh.

Todt runs to the end of the corridor and tries to find people.
    "Hello?! Anyone?! Help!"

• PeffPeff Registered User regular
    "Ugghhhhh" Javier pulls his hand down from his head and shuffles backward as he realizes what is in front of him.

Slightly panicked "This cannot possibly be happening!" Looking around he notices he's alone with the student, pulling himself to his feet, he yells "Todt! Guy! Where the HELL is everyone!"

steam_sig.png
    "Khasmarot," Nathan whispered to himself as he momentarily consumed within his own mid. Pain from his arm brought him back to the present.

"What the fuck!?" he shouted as he pulled his arm back. "Get away from me you freak!"

Reacting on his instincts, Nathan pulls out his revolver, points it at the kid, and checks his surroundings.

[El Skid]
    You wake up slumped against the foot of the desk, with your pants still around your ankles and a dull headache. Jenny, possibly slightly displeased with your rather dramatic performance, is nowhere to be seen. Transcriptions from the Nophru Ka remains on the desk where you had shoved it aside in passion earlier. Lying in the aisle leading back towards the entrance another book sits open on the floor, probably knocked out of place by your fleeing would-be lover.
    [Peff and Captain Marcus]
    Guy looks up from his work station, shaking himself out of a bit of a daze. "Oh, uh, you guys been sampling the wares over there? Sorry, I've been doing...something, with the EON servers. I think I'll have it soon though." He turns back to the computer, and doesn't show much concern for the general disarray. On the floor, Brian begins to stir, stands to his feet, and shuffles back towards the work station.

Out in the hall, von Todt is greeted with another silent corridor of closed doors, with no light visible behind them. The only sound is the faint humming of the central A/C system.
    [Cayrus]
    You manage to snatch your arm away before the kid can do any real damage to your forearm, and he starts for a second. Back up at the top of the stairs, you can hear the faint sounds of students and faculty going to and fro from classes and lounging on the quad some 100 yards away. There's no sound or any sort of stirring from the door below that the youth had been speaking into. The punk holds his knife up towards you, his eyes have a blank sheen, and his face is slack. It reminds you of nothing more than the look of a dope fiend mid-trip.

"It's all inevitable anyway. Let me show you the unknowable secret." He takes a step towards you, the knife held aloft.

edited February 2013
    Todt curses and runs back into the lab.

"Javier! Danke Gott you're okay! What happened?"

He notices Brian.

"Brian! Don't go over there!"

Todt sits down at the work station instead of Brian and turns to face him.

"Brian, you've had a shock and you should probably sit down for a bit."

Captain Marcus on
    "Seriously kid, back the fuck off!"
    If he continues to approach I will shoot him.

edited February 2013
    Guy pulls his pants up and shakes his head groggily. What the hell had THAT been? In all his years of philandering, this had been nearly the first time he'd been unable to complete something he started to the satisfaction of all involved. Well, there was that one time in South Dakota with the jealous husband, but that hadn't really been HIS fault.

Frowning, he peeked out into the library to see if there was any sign of Jenny or the old man.
    If he doesn't see anything out of the ordinary, Guy will come back in and will flip through the Nophru Ka and maybe the other nearby book to see if any of the diagrams inside seem relevant.

El Skid on
    Looking at Todt in disbelief, "What do you mean, 'What happened?' This kid came in here and gassed us! Or knocked me out! You were standing right there! Why the hell didn't you do anything?!"

Javier sat back down in a lab chair, "Christ, Todt, did you even see what happened? His eyes...HIS EYES!" Still panicked, he put his fingers to his temples, "And find where the HELL that humming is coming from! My head feels like its going to explode!"

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2013
    "What? No he didn't, you took one look at the subconjunctival hemorrhage in his eyes and dropped to the floor. Are you alright?" Todt said as he glanced worriedly over at his partner.
    "I'm not sure where the humming is coming from, but if you could go out and get us some help that'd be great. Matt's in the corner over there working on some computer stuff so if the kid tries anything we should be fine.

There wasn't anyone out there when I checked but maybe you have better luck. It's the middle of the day though, I can't imagine why no one is out there."

Todt thought for a bit.

"If you still can't find anyone and things start to get, you know, weird, go out an emergency exit."

Captain Marcus on
    [El Skid]
    This wing of the library seems to be barely in use. In fact, half of the shelves are bare, and may of the books here are thickly greyed with dust. You slip back into the occult section and flip through Transcriptions from the Nophru Ka. The book itself seems to be a mixed batch of onion skin paper with small precise printing and thicker, browned pages written in long flowing freehand. Amidst the pages are antiquated diagrams of disembodied limbs and organs, a pair of symbols are unmistakeably familiar:
    bjjZC.jpgaeOoWgo.jpg
    The second text, "Auf den geheimen Symbole der Buchstaben" is written in German, and you can't make much of it. It is a more contemporary work however, and s you idly flip through it though, you find an insert of black and white photographs. There on one page was a younger version of that same grinning old man standing in crowd of young men in khakis on a European street. On the next page, his face is there again, standing with a much smaller group of stone faced men at the top of some East Asian ruin with a pair of dwarf-like natives.
    9TCUCHC.jpg
    Javier steps out into the vacant hall.

In the lab, Mathew continues to tap at his computer, and pulls a portable printer from his bag. Brian continues to stand a few feet from the lab station, swaying slightly in a daze and muttering to himself. "Place for us...the blue fields...Aufenbaum's thesis..." His eyes remain bright red, and occasionally a tear streams unnoticed down his pallid face.
    [Cayrus]
    As dazed as he is, the kid still clearly recognizes the importance of your hand on the gun in your holster. "You don't see, but you saw it, I know!" He takes a step back, and gestures through the open door with the knife. "It doesn't have to be that way, there are other ways. I can, we can show you. It will have to happen, you can't wait on this forever!" He folds the knife closed and slips it back into his boot, and holds his carved and bloody arm out towards you.

Clearly distracted by the humming "Yeah, whatever. Just WATCH him! Don't let him do anything else, I know he's behind this."

Javier starts down the hall, looking randomly between rooms and shaking his head occasionally trying to get rid of the damn humming. Realizing the lack of any people, he becomes more unnerved and begins shouting "Hello? Anyone? ¿Dónde están todos?"

steam_sig.png
    "Alright kid, what's down here? Some of your doped-up buddies?"

Nathan keeps his gun pointed at the kid and steps closer to the door, trying to peer inside.

Guy shrugged and took both books under an arm. Not bothering to hide the books, he strode purposely up the stairs and made his way to the library exit (carefully avoiding going anywhere near Jenny's desk). He was just as good with his facial expressions as he was with his words, and his face very firmly indicated that he had every right to be walking out with these books, and that any interruption would be met with unpleasantness.

Todt stays exactly where he is and keeps a sharp eye on Brian as the grad student mutters to himself.

"So Matthew, what are you working on?"

[El Skid]
    Following the exit signs, you leave the archive section and head towards a back section of the building with your texts. With a wink and a few quick words to a janitor, you're out the basement door and back onto the lawn of the UNM campus. While the heat hasn't abated much, the shadows suggest it is pushing into early evening.
    [Cayrus]
    Nothing moves in the dim hallway, as far as you can see down it without stepping too close to the punk. The kid continues to stare at you and has begun humming some sort of atonal tune softly to himself. As your eyes adjust to the light at the bottom of the stairway, you can see the outline of symbols sketched along the floor, and you recognize the symbol carved into the boy's arm among them. Above them are a series of sketches of faces done in chalk. One of them bears a striking resemblance to the kid, but his sketched face appears to be horribly scarred and burned along one side of it. The boy's humming has gradually grown louder and more strident, and you notice suddenly that one of the faces along the wall is your own. "Khasmarot" the boy intones between musical phrases, as you see the chalk lines of your face begin to bubble and seep down the wall.
    [Captain Marcus]
    Mathew's printer begins to screech and process behind you. Not breaking his broken, rambling, and muttering, Brian pulls a sheaf of papers off of the desk and gestures them at you halfheartedly. With his other hand, he reaches for the bagged sample of "cocaine".
    [Peff]
    Your voice echoes down the halls, past the darkened doors of unused labs and storage closets. You try to remember the path you took to get to the lab, and retrace your steps as best you can. Was the complex this big? Looking out the window, you can see a curve ahead, and the parking lot down below you. You don't remember going up any stairs. Taking a moment to collect your thoughts and keep that familiar panic at bay, you set off further down the hall, then descend the first stairway you can find. Where is everyone? Walking more briskly now, you feel terribly parched. Throwing open the door to the bathroom on your left and stepping through it, you stride into the unbearably hot parking lot. The entrance to the building is a few yards away, and you can see the doddering old caretaker dozing through the sliding glass doors.

edited March 2013
    All sound for Javier became muted. As he pushed through the bathroom door, hoping to find water, he finds only a modern hellscape; black pavement and an endless thirst.

Feeling relieved at finally finding someone else, he yells: "Hey! Where is everyone!? We need some medical attention in the labs! And some water!"

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
    Without missing a step, Guy heads back toward the rented lab space, fairly confident that his companions are still there poking at test tubes.

Todt quickly snatches the bag of "cocaine" away before Brian can lay his hands on it.

"Nein! No, Brian!"

[Cayrus]
    You sit heavily onto the steps as your vision blurs and your head spins. After a moment, all that is left is a slight throbbing ache, and a glance down the hallway shows nothing but bare cement. The boy looks at you curiously. "Perhaps it is not time for you yet. He will know you though." The punk taps a bloody finger to his temple, leaving a deep red smudge. He grins as his face goes slack once more, and shuffles through the doorway, closing it behind him.
    [Peff and El Skid]
    As Guy steps through the door behind Javier, the old man looks up from his battered and yellowed Reader's Digest and squints at you through thick glasses. "Eh? Is something the matter? Should I call the medics?" A water cooler sits in the corner with a stack of paper cone cups.
    [Captain Marcus]
    Brian does not put up much fight, but continues to stare at the small bag of blue powder. "You wouldn't stop me if you knew. You wouldn't stop me if you had been there, in the flowers. In the cold."

Behind you, Mathew tears a strip of paper from his printer, fiddles with his computer for a moment, and then begins to disassemble his equipment. "If you're all set over there, we can ditch the nutcase. I've got it."

edited March 2013
    "'Ditch the nutcase'? I'm a doctor! I can't do that. Besides, Dr. Cubillo's gone to get help and we should at least wait for him to get back. We haven't much to go on this... un-cocaine besides a man named Werner Aufenbaum and something called prismatic theory. However, what seemed to affect Appleton and the female reporter earlier both appear to be caused by the un-cocaine."

He turns to Brian.

"What, Brian. What flowers? What cold? You're not making any sense. Also who is Werner Aufenbauma again?"

Captain Marcus on
    Nathan slowly shakes his head as he slumps on the staircase. He briefly considers trying to follow the punk through the door, but decides that would be a waste of time. His arm didn't look to bad, nothing some disinfectant and bandage wouldn't fix. And maybe a tetanus shot, just to be safe.

Whatever that kid was smoking must have still been in the air. These damn punks and their Mary Jane. Just Say No is what I always say.

Nathan holsters his gun and slowly ascends the stairs. He makes his way back to the laboratory.

Not able to believe his ears "YES! You should call the paramedics!" He looks back to Guy desperately and then rushes to the water cooler and starts gulping down water.

steam_sig.png
    Guy looked surprised and placed the books gently in the corner, throwing his jacket over top of them.

"What is ze matter? Are you poisoned? What can we tell zem?" he said, obviously concerned.

edited April 2013
    [El Skid, Cayrus, and Peff]
    As Nathan walks into the building (good God, it's hot outside!) the lab's caretaker hobbles back to the phone. "Hello? Yes, emergency? There's some sort of emergency. No, I know you're the emergency line, but we have an emergency! It's the Spercen laboratory. This doctor says he needs paramedics. Oh I don't know, he didn't say." He turns to Javier. "Why did you need the ambulance?"
    [Capt. Marcus]
    Mathew shrugs and folds the sheets of paper into his pocket. "And I'm sure the police will love to hear all about our extra-curricular activities. Like how we got that nasty bit of blue stuff." He walks out of the door towards the lobby.

Brian shrugs slowly, trying to process what you've said. He rubs his blood red eyes for a long time. "I didn't know Dr. Werner. He died. They put him in the hospital, you see. He saw. It's all in his book, very old, but he saw. All about this, about that cold, and the flowers."

PsychoLarry1 on
    Exasperated and crushing a paper cup in irritation "We have a...lab tech...in need of medical attention." Trying to calm down, still irritated but calming "He may have inhaled or possibly ingested a chemical and had a..." Javier saw the eyes once more in his head and shuddered "...an adverse reaction."

steam_sig.png
    "What's wrong?"

Hearing Javier's explanation, Nathan rushes toward him. "Where are the others? Why are you calling for an ambulance? Surely there's no need to involve the authorities when there's likely someone here on campus with medical experience."

He glances at Javier, trying to communicate with his eyes that calling the authorities would be bad idea.

"Ridiculous! These are samples of a cadaver, a patient's vomitus, and a sample of a substance a patient inhaled, and we're using this lab to test them because our organization lacks the necessary facilities. There is nothing suspicious about these samples at all, except that looking at the powder causes bleeding from the eyes and nonsensical statements about Pluto."

Todt glances at Brian.

"Besides, Brian walked in here a normal man and we're just going to leave him with eye bleeding? There are laws about that sort of thing, and they all say don't leave. Speaking of which, do you know where I could find this book you're talking about, Brian?"

"We've had some..." eyes "...issues with our investigation." Noticing Ford's arm "It looks like you could use some First Aid yourself."

Javier notices the strange look on his colleague's face, "...I...err..." He tries to shake the cloudiness from his mind and turns to the caretaker "Is that the campus emergency line...? Is there a student clinic we can be directed to instead?" He looks back to Ford and shrugs...still confused and slightly at his reaction. He wouldn't be acting like this if he had seen those eyes

steam_sig.png
    Despite the heat, Ford quickly dons his jacket when Javier mentions his arm. "It's nothing, just some punk kid high on drugs. It'll be fine."

Glancing at the lab tech, "Please hang up the phone, I think we can handle this ourselves."

Turning back to Javier, he asks "Where are the others? What is the problem?"

"Matt and Kris are back in the lab with that tech...Guy was chasing down a lead." Looking over his shoulder back to the building, down to Ford's arm, and then back up "Are you sure you don't want to get a little more help in here?"

Looking past Ford to the caretaker and lowering his voice "Things are...not good."

steam_sig.png
    Guy looked around and smiled. This type of situation was probably why he was here.

"Yes, I theenk ze ambulance is not necessary. Javier, you are a capable doctor- Can you make sure zat Monsieur Marcus is not too dehydrated, and check zis arm? If we truly need medical backup, we can call for it zen. And can someone tell me if we are finished examining ze compounds you were 'ere to examine? We have much to talk about, and it ees getting late. We should be going back to ze house if zere are no further emergencies..."