As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NHL] Thread; Wearing Adam Pardy's Helmet

JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
edited November 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hockey slang:

leaf [leef] verb leaf-ed, leaf-ing
1. To lose in spectacular fashion after victory was nearly guaranteed: They almost made it to the second round, but they Leafed game seven.
2. A sudden and unexpected loss of momentum: I hope they don't Leaf this one!
3. To lose a game after leading 4-1: They are totally Leafing this game!

Cloutier [kloo-chee-ey] verb Cloutier-ing, Cloutier-ed
1. To allow an improbable, series changing goal in incompetent fashion: If I'm the Bruins, I'm worried that Tuuka Rask just Cloutiered it on that Hagelin goal.
See also:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLco0k3kYBY

Steve Smith [steev smith] verb Steve Smith-ed, Steve Smith-ing
1. To end your season by putting the puck in your own net: That was a terrible move that just Steve Smithed their season.
Synonyms: Chris Phillips verb [kris fil-ips]

Martin Gelinas [mahr-tn zhel-in-na] verb Martin Gelinas-ed, Martin Gelinas-ing
1.To consistently score the series winning goals for your own team: He's Martin Gelinasing his team's way to the finals!

MAF [maf] verb MAF-ed, MAF-ing
Acronym for: Marc-André Fleury [mahrk ahn-drey flur-ee]
1. To consistently allow a goal on one of the first three shots of every game: I can't believe how bad he's been MAF-ing it up lately.

Playoff Update!

Quarterfinals Results:

West:
Blackhawks def Wild 4-1
Wings def Ducks 4-3
Sharks def Canucks 4-0
Kings def Blues 4-2

East:
Penguins def Islanders 4-2
Senators def Canadiens 4-1
Rangers def Capitals 4-3
Bruins def Leafs 4-3

Semifinals Schedule/Result:
(All Times EST)

West:
Blackhawks def Red Wings 4-3
Kings def Sharks 4-3

East:
Penguins def Senators 4-1
Bruins def Rangers 4-1

Conference Finals Schedule

West:
Blackhawks def Kings 5-1

East:
Bruins def Penguins 4-0

Finals Schedule:
Boston vs Chicago
Game 1: 4-3 Chicago in Triple OT
Game 2: 2-1 Boston in OT
Game 3: 2-0 Boston
Game 4: 6-5 Chicago in OT
*Game 5: 3-1 Chicago
*Game 6: 3-2 Chicago

2013 Stanley Cup Champions - The Chicago Blackhawks

Jayricho on

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    If the AVs are bad enough, you'll get a decent chance at Seth Jones, which would be a pretty awesome thing.

:so_raven:
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    If the AVs are bad enough, you'll get a decent chance at Seth Jones, which would be a pretty awesome thing.

everyone knows Oilers are getting their 4th 1st overall pick this year.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Chuck Kobasew has scored as many goals tonight as David Jones has all season. I don't even... o_O

Edit: Or not! Credit given to Olver.

Jayricho on
  • OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

everyone knows Oilers are getting their 4th 1st overall pick this year.

Yes, but they'll also clearly select a 4th forward and go for MacKinnon.

camo_sig2.png
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Goodbye Erik Cole, welcome back Michael Ryder. Equal number of points last year while playing completely different styles. I think it's a good swap, $1M less on the contract and it ends this year = $4.5M free for the summer, got a 3rd rounder back as well which makes it 9 picks in the top 90. We have enough grinding style players on the 4th line and the Gally's like to drive the net as well so a perimeter sniper should open up some more options.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Really excited for the Leafs-Habs game tonight.

(Fuck the Habs)

• AgentBryantAgentBryant CTRegistered User regular
    I don't understand why the league is trying to jam a square peg into a round hole for realignment. It seems like they're more interested in appeasing two teams that want to move east than not screwing over the rest of the eastern conference. I think it's horrible that division winners get seeded top 3 in the current system, but the top 3 teams in each division in the new system is bananas.

Also, I'm saddened that I'll have to go back to hating Ryder now that he's back on the habs.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    So the Leafs' player brown just got 5 minutes and a game misconduct for 'boarding' which was a hit to the shoulder of the other player who wasn't injured or in any way hurt on the play.

I've seen worse hits get no call, let alone a 5 minute major and a game. But then again, it's the same ref that was responsible for this: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20022003/GS020923.HTM

Edit: In the NHL, this is now a 5 minute penalty and a game misconduct
    http://youtu.be/ak783bx543c

e2: I'm starting to feel like a crazy person complaining about the refs. But it's SO bad this year. I can't remember a year with worse refereeing. Apparently even some owners are complaining about it.

Dissociater on
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    That is boarding. Worth 5 minutes but not a misconduct.

E- it's actually been called as checking from behind which I also agree with.

Cobalt60 on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That's 5. Game if there's an injury, by the silly NHL rules. I'd give him a game anyway. Dirty, disrespectful play.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    I don't understand why the league is trying to jam a square peg into a round hole for realignment. It seems like they're more interested in appeasing two teams that want to move east than not screwing over the rest of the eastern conference. I think it's horrible that division winners get seeded top 3 in the current system, but the top 3 teams in each division in the new system is bananas.

Also, I'm saddened that I'll have to go back to hating Ryder now that he's back on the habs.

The simple fact that you think realignment screws over the entire east shows how large the east coast bias is in the NHL.

camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2013
    That's 5. Game if there's an injury, by the silly NHL rules. I'd give him a game anyway. Dirty, disrespectful play.

He hit him hip to hip, and shoulder to shoulder. 2 minutes sure. Like every other time I've seen a similar hit. 5 is crazy.

e: and Montreal scores off a faceoff win where the puck was dropped before the home team centre's stick was on the ice.

Dissociater on
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Gorges had his back to Brown the entire way down the ice and he hit him 2-3 ft from the boards, it's a boarding penalty where there was no chance to protect himself, obvious 5. I didn't see the faceoff play you are talking about but after the linesman blows his whistle both teams have 5 seconds to be ready, if the Toronto player wasn't ready he either gets tossed from the faceoff or the puck is dropped, linesman's choice.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Wow. I started the season with four players injured. Slowly decreased until I had only one.

And now I'm back up to three.

EDIT: I've had at least one player on injured reserve for every single game this season so far.

Nova_C on
  • LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    While I could argue Brown was the unfortunate victim of the officials trying to prevent the game from escalating in the early going, it's very clearly a Boarding call at the least. They called it Checking-From-Behind. I liked the five minutes, but the gate seemed too much.

As for the Face-off play / the resulting Canadiéns goal, Carlyle (and Leaf fans everywhere) are entirely right. The linesmen blows the drop and should have called it immediately. Since he didn't, the goal has to stand as the NHL doesn't allow for that kind of replay. Kinda like the Duchene Offside play.

The officiating has been all over the place this year that I feel pretty confident in saying it's been uniformly so bad that no team has really come away with any serious advantage on the whole.

Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
    edited February 2013
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Gorges had his back to Brown the entire way down the ice and he hit him 2-3 ft from the boards, it's a boarding penalty where there was no chance to protect himself, obvious 5. I didn't see the faceoff play you are talking about but after the linesman blows his whistle both teams have 5 seconds to be ready, if the Toronto player wasn't ready he either gets tossed from the faceoff or the puck is dropped, linesman's choice.

Except that didn't happen:
    Brownhit_zps04451952.jpg
    Contact occurs to the hip and shoulder.

He goes out of his way to try and make sure he DOESN'T hit him from behind. Even so I could understand a call in the heat of the moment for boarding. Refs sometimes don't pay perfect attention, etc. But the rules are pretty clear about how to constitutes a 5 minute major and a game for boarding:
    A game misconduct is imposed:

When a major penalty is imposed under
    this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an
    opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

No injury occurred. In fact, he got right back up and was ready to continue. However, the rules are pretty vague and simply say the ref can assess a major or a minor based on the 'degree of violence' and some things to consider are if it was intentional, if the player hit put himself into a vulnerable position, if he was in a defenseless position, etc. In my opinion, the hit only looked as bad as it did since it happened at where the boards curve. Regardless, the problem is that this season I've seen worse get less. For example:

This was 2 minutes -
    This was 2 minutes -
    It's the lack of consistency that's the killer.

And if the ref blows his whistle and the player doesn't put his stick on the ice, the referee is supposed to kick him from the circle. It says right there in the rule book:
    the Linesman conducting the face-off shall blow his
    whistle. This will signal to both teams that they have no more than five
    (5) seconds to line up for the ensuing face-off. At the end of the five
    (5) seconds (or sooner if both centers are ready), the Linesman will
    conduct a proper face-off. If, however:

(ii) One or both centers refrain from placing their stick on the ice
    the Linesman shall have the offending center(s) replaced immediately
    prior to dropping the puck.

What happened was the linesman blew the whistle, did that idiotic thing where he fakes dropping the puck, the Montreal player tied up the Leaf player's stick in anticipation of the drop that didn't happen. The leaf player then pulled his stick back and the linesman immediately dropped the puck before the leaf player had re-positioned.

The leafs absolutely deserved to lose this game. They were terrible. But the refereeing was just so horrible, and it's to the point that, according to TSN gamecentre, GMs around the league are complaining to the NHL about how bad it has gotten.

Edit: here's Fraser's take on both plays for what it's worth - http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=417034

And here's a video of the botched faceoff so you can decide for yourself - http://youtu.be/uMM26mbDD3M

Also, I love that there's hockey to be mad about again.

Dissociater on
    Anybody see Ryan O'Byrne's picture of his knee after taking a blocked shot off it a few nights ago?
    BEJTkE2CAAAgvAM.jpg

D:

Took me a minute to figure out which part was the knee and which part was the lump D:

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Ive seen refs drop the puck while one center skated around in circles talking to his teammates.

Im pretty sure there is another rule somewhere that allows the ref to drop the puck if one center is taking too long to get ready.

edited February 2013
    Well here we go. Calgary offered O'Reilly an offer sheet....(oh and the Avs play Calgary tonight too).....
    @DarrenDreger

Flames offer sheet on O'Reilly: Contract AA:$ 5,000.0 2012-2013: $1,000.0 (NHL) - SB: $2,500.0 2013-2014: $6,500.0 (NHL).

O'Reilly details more clearly: 2 yrs .. 5M AAV ... 1m salary this year and 2.5 SB ... 6.5M salary next year.

I believe compensation is a 1st and 3rd. Av's won't like the $6.5 2nd year as that becomes O'Reilly's Q.O.

A very aggressive move by the Flames. However, other GM's suggest Colorado could have fetched more than a 1st and 3rd via trade.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

If COL matches, it could end up paying ROR about $3M for balance of season and $6.5M in each of next three seasons before he becomes UFA.

That's too much. Way too much. Avs have a week to match. At least this will be over soon.

Jayricho on
    Well if you're going to offer sheet someone, you want to make sure it's high enough that the other team doesn't really want to pay up.

If the flames have the room then it's a good move I think.

• BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I feel like it's a bad move for ROR though. Go from one floundering and rebuilding team to another. I honestly think he should've played this year, tried to get his name out there and get with a Cup contender.

Blendtec wrote: »
    I feel like it's a bad move for ROR though. Go from one floundering and rebuilding team to another. I honestly think he should've played this year, tried to get his name out there and get with a Cup contender.

Are the Flames actually admittedly rebuilding now, or still just patching holes? Not that O'Reilly isn't a decent patch, but he's not going to turn them completely around.

So Dreger was just on TSN radio a little while ago and he was saying the NHLPA approval for the new realignment is about 50/50. The sticking point to the players is apparently the inequality in the playoff seeding with 14 on one side and 16 on the other.

The players are suggesting either Columbus or Detroit should be moved to the west to fix it. The problem is that promises have been made to the Ilitch family that Detroit would be in the east, and as a result Detroit has been supportive of Bettman throughout all the lockouts and such so the league wants to keep them happy. So the obvious thing then would be to move Columbus. But Columbus is a dying franchise and in the NHL's opinion the only way to save it is to move it to the east so it plays bigger market teams.

According to Dreger things could get messy if the PA wants it to.

• BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Jayricho wrote: »
    Blendtec wrote: »

Are the Flames actually admittedly rebuilding now, or still just patching holes? Not that O'Reilly isn't a decent patch, but he's not going to turn them completely around.

Even if they won't admit to rebuilding, I'd say they should be. Their best players are aging and don't exactly have super talented support. With the exception of Kiprusoff and Iginla, most of the team is recent acquisitions, and few of them are <28 years old. Aside from their '04 run, they've either missed the playoffs or just barely made it and been knocked out first round every time since they won in '89. Yeah, there's something to be said for skilled older players, but there's also something to be said for having a solid core of young guys you can build up (see the Islanders). Maybe ROR will be that core, but unless they do some serious moving this off season, it'll be a very small one.

Blendtec on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    So Dreger was just on TSN radio a little while ago and he was saying the NHLPA approval for the new realignment is about 50/50. The sticking point to the players is apparently the inequality in the playoff seeding with 14 on one side and 16 on the other.

The players are suggesting either Columbus or Detroit should be moved to the west to fix it. The problem is that promises have been made to the Ilitch family that Detroit would be in the east, and as a result Detroit has been supportive of Bettman throughout all the lockouts and such so the league wants to keep them happy. So the obvious thing then would be to move Columbus. But Columbus is a dying franchise and in the NHL's opinion the only way to save it is to move it to the east so it plays bigger market teams.

Eh, the obvious solution is expansion to balance things out. Wouldn't be too tough to get a second Toronto team and a Seattle team to fill out the west and bingo, problem solved.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Well if you're going to offer sheet someone, you want to make sure it's high enough that the other team doesn't really want to pay up.

If the flames have the room then it's a good move I think.

It's a fantastically structured deal in that if Calgary offered just shy of 50K more they'd owe a Second on top of the First and Third going to Colorado's way, the 6.5M next season locks O'Reilly's next Qualifying Offer to a minimum of that with to whichever team has his rights and the end of this deal and if the Avs match they can't move him for a full calendar year.

Two questions ultimately arise: Is O'Reilly worth 6.5M next year and beyond and can Colorado even begin to ask that question with their notorious budget?

My gut says Calgary has a new center and Colorado's looking at a 7+ pick in a thin draft (beyond the top end guys).

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
    Pierre LeBrun tweeted that another Western Conference exec says that there's "no way Colorado doesn't match". On the other hand, I'm watching That's Hockey on TSN right now and Dreger says he can't see the Avs matching. I'm pretty sure the Avs just take the picks. Not only have they been notorious penny pinchers lately (especially after handing out what they have to Stastny), but they're pretty well known for holding grudges when it comes to messy contract negotiations as well.

But as much shit as I've talked about the Avs management lately, I honestly kind of want them to just take the picks and be done with it. O'Reilly is not worth $6.5. He'll be making more than each of the Sedins. He'll be making exactly as much as Toews.

shalmelo wrote: »

Eh, the obvious solution is expansion to balance things out. Wouldn't be too tough to get a second Toronto team and a Seattle team to fill out the west and bingo, problem solved.

Well that would leave a 17 team east and 15 team west, so same problem

To me it seems the easy thing is to just have one conference be the central one and one of the eastern ones, then have the other conference be the remaining east and west one. Scheduling wouldn't change since I think the proposed schedule would be the majority of the games in your own division and 2 games against the rest of the teams in the league. So travel time wouldn't increase during the regular season. Then Just seed them 1 to 8 among the two 15 team conferences for the playoffs. So for 82 games travelling and scheduling would be the same, with only the occasional cross-country playoff match up.

Canucks made a play too apparently...
    @dantencer

Sportsnet 960 Calgary reports that the Vancouver Canucks also issued an offer sheet to Ryan O'Reilly.

I wonder what the details of that one was.

There's also the fact that Columbus is further east than Detroit. Of course it was also further east than Atlanta and that didn't change anything.

I think the problem is that if Detroit only goes east it looks like favoritism. For better or for worse, the NHL has tied together and labeled (or allowed the media to label) Detroit (have) and Columbus (have-not). If they move Detroit and not Columbus, all the have-nots in the league are likely to view it as an indictment against them. If they move Columbus and not Detroit, all the haves in the league are likely to view it as an indictment against them. A major problem that the league has (and most professional sports leagues do, but the NHL's seems more exaggerated), is that the gap between the Detroits, Chicagos, Torontos, Bostons, etc. and the Floridas, Nashvilles, Islanders, Columbuses is pretty fucking huge. If Bettman actually had any balls, he'd stop letting the Original 6 dictate how the entire league is run.

camo_sig2.png
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Offer sheets!! Let the GM media wars begin!

Kadri with a hat trick! Woo!

Sharp101 wrote: »
    Kadri with a hat trick! Woo!

BLRAARARHGH.

I had the game paused for 20 minutes and was doing SUCH a good job not looking at the score ticker at the top of the screen but my inability to sit still made me click on the thread to see the 2 new posts. Kadri's hattrick happened on my screen like 1 minute later hahahaha.

edited March 2013
    I just did that with the Flames/Avs game. Watching the game, Flames score their first goal. Look at Twitter; "Flames score twice. Timeout Colorado".

Nothing like needing to use a timeout only 5 min into the game. :?

At least our own pick should be a good one!

Jayricho on
    edited March 2013
    Well that didn't take long....
    Mike Chambers ‏@MChambersDP

#Avs GM to address media after first period. Ryan O'Reilly headed back to Denver.

Had they been more willing to negotiate earlier, the Avs probably could have gotten him for cheaper. Also kind of funny that the announcement came just after two quick Flames goals.

Jayricho on
    edited March 2013
    Avs matched that offer sheet I'm hearing.

Haha, that's what I get for failing to refresh the thread.

Dissociater on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    You know, your management is pretty awful when you only get one of your best players signed when the Flames get his name on a contract.

:so_raven: