As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NHL] Thread; Wearing Adam Pardy's Helmet

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So now after next season O'Reilly's qualifying offer will have to be at least $6.5 million. Also up for new contracts that year are Stastny, Landeskog, Duchene, Downie, McGinn and Varlamov. There are others, but those are the notables. Out-GMed by Jay Feaster.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    So Dreger was just on TSN radio a little while ago and he was saying the NHLPA approval for the new realignment is about 50/50. The sticking point to the players is apparently the inequality in the playoff seeding with 14 on one side and 16 on the other.

The players are suggesting either Columbus or Detroit should be moved to the west to fix it. The problem is that promises have been made to the Ilitch family that Detroit would be in the east, and as a result Detroit has been supportive of Bettman throughout all the lockouts and such so the league wants to keep them happy. So the obvious thing then would be to move Columbus. But Columbus is a dying franchise and in the NHL's opinion the only way to save it is to move it to the east so it plays bigger market teams.

According to Dreger things could get messy if the PA wants it to.

Eh, the obvious solution is expansion to balance things out. Wouldn't be too tough to get a second Toronto team and a Seattle team to fill out the west and bingo, problem solved.

Well that would leave a 17 team east and 15 team west, so same problem

To me it seems the easy thing is to just have one conference be the central one and one of the eastern ones, then have the other conference be the remaining east and west one. Scheduling wouldn't change since I think the proposed schedule would be the majority of the games in your own division and 2 games against the rest of the teams in the league. So travel time wouldn't increase during the regular season. Then Just seed them 1 to 8 among the two 15 team conferences for the playoffs. So for 82 games travelling and scheduling would be the same, with only the occasional cross-country playoff match up.

No, see, the plan that I heard was for the second Toronto team to be western conference. That way every team gets to spend a bunch of time in the self-appointed hockey capitol of the planet.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    I cannot believe this team came back from being down 3-0. Feels like one of those 'save Sacco's job' kind of games.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    No one noticed the Avalanche matched O'Reilly's offer. No one saw me add him to my fantasy team, either.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »
    I cannot believe this team came back from being down 3-0. Feels like one of those 'save Sacco's job' kind of games.

What? Have you never seen the Flames play?

Losing big leads is what they do!

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    So Dreger was just on TSN radio a little while ago and he was saying the NHLPA approval for the new realignment is about 50/50. The sticking point to the players is apparently the inequality in the playoff seeding with 14 on one side and 16 on the other.

The players are suggesting either Columbus or Detroit should be moved to the west to fix it. The problem is that promises have been made to the Ilitch family that Detroit would be in the east, and as a result Detroit has been supportive of Bettman throughout all the lockouts and such so the league wants to keep them happy. So the obvious thing then would be to move Columbus. But Columbus is a dying franchise and in the NHL's opinion the only way to save it is to move it to the east so it plays bigger market teams.

According to Dreger things could get messy if the PA wants it to.

Eh, the obvious solution is expansion to balance things out. Wouldn't be too tough to get a second Toronto team and a Seattle team to fill out the west and bingo, problem solved.

Well that would leave a 17 team east and 15 team west, so same problem

To me it seems the easy thing is to just have one conference be the central one and one of the eastern ones, then have the other conference be the remaining east and west one. Scheduling wouldn't change since I think the proposed schedule would be the majority of the games in your own division and 2 games against the rest of the teams in the league. So travel time wouldn't increase during the regular season. Then Just seed them 1 to 8 among the two 15 team conferences for the playoffs. So for 82 games travelling and scheduling would be the same, with only the occasional cross-country playoff match up.

No, see, the plan that I heard was for the second Toronto team to be western conference. That way every team gets to spend a bunch of time in the self-appointed hockey capitol of the planet.

Well, the Leafs used to be in the West themselves.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Jayricho wrote: »

What? Have you never seen the Flames play?

Losing big leads is what they do!
    I think its a conditioning thing. Against any other team, I'll usually turn the game off when the Canucks go down by 2 or 3 early. Not when it's the Flames.

• Options
    Matrias wrote: »
    No one noticed the Avalanche matched O'Reilly's offer. No one saw me add him to my fantasy team, either.

Probably not great for your cousin though.

• Options
    I miss the days when the Flames were a good rivalry for Vancouver. Now its just "meh"

• Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    I love how wacky this schedule is. The Ducks' next 4 games are Friday home vs Wild, Saturday at Phoenix, Monday at Phoenix, Wednesday home vs Phoenix.

Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    I miss the days when the Flames were a good rivalry for Vancouver. Now its just "meh"

I just miss when every team in the northwest was at least decent. I like being able to watch hockey til 1AM, but it's rough when the last games are teams battling for the bottom of the barrel.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So what was the deal with O'Reilly exactly? Was it just money or did he not want to play in Colorado?

• Options
    So what was the deal with O'Reilly exactly? Was it just money or did he not want to play in Colorado?

When it comes right down to it, yeah it's pretty much money. The Avs offered him two different contracts. 2 years at $7 million or 5 years at $10 million and said take one or the other. The 2 year deal is the same one Duchene is on right now and word is that O'Reilly's camp wasn't too happy with Duchene taking that deal because it hurt O'Reilly's negotiation. They said it wasn't about the money, but supposedly the Canucks sent him a sheet too and who in their right mind would sign a sheet for the Flames and not the Canucks if it wasn't about money?

• Options
    The Canucks didn't send him an offer sheet. Fan960 was misinformed.

GM Mike Gillis was on the radio today saying O'Reilly's camp contacted them about getting an offer sheet, but ultimately concluded the Avs would match.

According to Bob McKenzie, O'Reilly isn't waiver exempt and they would have lost him on waivers anyways because he played in Europe. LOL FLAMES.

• Options
    Compensation from the Canucks would have been terrible anyway. Hooray a bottom 10, probably even 5, pick! :?

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    What a mess. Just....I don't even.

Fuck O'Reilly and Sherman and Lacroix

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    You forgot Kroenke and Sacco.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Feaster deserves to lose his job over this. Could have traded his 1st and lost ROR on waivers for nothing.

Sherman does too. If he bothered to find out ROR wasn't waiver exempt, he loses his negotiation positioning.

LOL

Matrias on
  • Options
    Watch Sherman's mini-conference from last night. Dude is clearly pretty shaken or nervous or something. I'd say he definitely doesn't look happy at least.

http://video.avalanche.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=699&id=209925&lang=en&navid=DL

• Options
    AgentBryantAgentBryant CTRegistered User regular
    OSUJumpMan wrote: »
    I don't understand why the league is trying to jam a square peg into a round hole for realignment. It seems like they're more interested in appeasing two teams that want to move east than not screwing over the rest of the eastern conference. I think it's horrible that division winners get seeded top 3 in the current system, but the top 3 teams in each division in the new system is bananas.

Also, I'm saddened that I'll have to go back to hating Ryder now that he's back on the habs.

The simple fact that you think realignment screws over the entire east shows how large the east coast bias is in the NHL.

And how is that? Now every team in the East would have to compete for the same amount of playoff seeds with more teams in the pool than the West. How is that fair? It would make more logical sense to simply move one team and possibly juggle the divisions a little, rather than to unbalance the conferences and come up with a ridiculous system to make it all work.

• Options
    How about we suffer horrendous travel in the west and you suffer some tighter competition for playoff spots in the east.

because for forever and ever, only one conference is suffering anything.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    The Northwest sucks as much as the Southeast division, there is a reason for Washington winning president cups, just like there is a reason why Vancouver wins them.

And the Atlantic/Northeast are equal to the Central/Pacific.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    How in the Christ has Chicago not lost in regulation yet?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure everyone always says whatever division has the President's Trophy winner is the worst. It's a miracle!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Glenn Healy is such an asshole. The guys on HNIC were talking about the O'Reilly stuff and he thinks O'Reilly needs to walk into the locker room and shove his contract into Duchene's face because when asked about the situation over the past few weeks Duchene said they can't worry about it and need to focus on the guys who were there playing at the moment.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Sounds like a healthy team environment to me!

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Healey's thing is being a grade a d-bag. Eliotte Friedman is about the only guy on HNIC I can stand any more.

• Options
    The Sedin Line kicked the Kopitar line's teeth in tonight. Two goals and loads of possession time. It was glorious and all was right in the world.

Quick looked ordinary.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Yeah, Chicago is never going to lose in regulation......

• Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    Oh Jonathan Ericsson....

• Options
    Glad I don't work on the same shift as the Hawks fan at work anymore. Listening to him would be unbearable.

• Options
    Rei wrote: »
    Oh Jonathan Ericsson....

enlightenedbum has a stroke in 3....2....1.....

• Options
    I wasn't watching. Was it stupid or was it the rule being stupid? I see it was a puck over the glass penalty.

• Options
    I wasn't watching. Was it stupid or was it the rule being stupid? I see it was a puck over the glass penalty.

Puck over glass delay of game penalty. So basically stupid rule is stupid except when it happens to defenceman whipping boy

• Options
    Regular season winning streaks are so useful when you get to the playoffs, right Red Wings home winning streak from last year??

• Options
    We can only hope. Two months of Chelsea Dagger again might kill me. It's the silver lining to losing Chicago in that realignment.

• Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    What made the penalty worse was no one was even pressuring Ericsson he just decided he had to get rid of the puck, NOW. Then Kronwall decided to do the same thing for no reason. And then teams traded awful, lazy hockey in overtime to get to a shootout.

• Options
    We can only hope. Two months of Chelsea Dagger again might kill me. It's the silver lining to losing Chicago in that realignment.

But then you get the Leafs and the Harlem Shake.

• Options
    Yeah, but you won't hear it in the playoffs, which is when I watch all of the games.