As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Twilight Imperium] Game 5 - Round 8: Game Over!

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Those ancient Lazax sure sound like smart dudes. How did things turn out for them?

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    THEY GOT BETTER.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Muaat

I activate the primary ability of the (8) Bureaucracy Strategy Card, placing a Command Counter into Command Pool.

TG/AC/PC: 0/3/0
    SA/FS/CP: 2/5/2

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    I reveal the following Objective Card:

[2 VP] I successfully invaded two planets, each containing at least 1 opposing Ground Force, this turn.

I then claim the Objective Card: [1 VP] I successfully invaded one planet containing at least 1 opposing Ground Force this turn.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Well that ought to spice things up.

PASS on the secondary.

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    PASS on the secondary.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • FidohFidoh BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Exciting. Kind of a bummer that we didn't win that second invasion. (For the record, a Mechanized unit counts as a "Ground Force" for this objective, right?)

L1Z1X passes on the secondary.

Fidoh on
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Pass on secondary

SeGaTai on
    PSN SeGaTai
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Fidoh wrote: »
    (For the record, a Mechanized unit counts as a "Ground Force" for this objective, right?)

If I recall correctly, I haven't been counting Mechanized Units as Ground Forces for the purposes of satisfying objectives. I don't think that's going to change, at least for this game...

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited March 2013
    Took out that super mech unit? Not impressed, buddy! Go beat up some scrub ground force units then we'll talk VP.

MrBody on
    Your up for secondary mrbody

PSN SeGaTai
    PLAY on that sucker!

Sorry, this reminded me of this game so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pP1rmsCPbQU

edited March 2013
    Round 7: Action Phase Update 3

The L1z1x Mindnet: Activate Achtroth-Abaddon-Loki system. (CP 3 --> 2)
    move in 1 Dreadnought and 1 Ground Force from Vega system, 2 Cruisers, 1 Carrier, 2 Fighters, 1 Mechanized Unit, and 3 Ground Forces from Faunus, and 1 Dreadnought from Thibah.
    Naalu PDS Fire misses.
    L1z1x lands 3 Ground Forces on Ashtroth and 1 Mechanized Unit and 1 Ground Force on Loki.
    In the invasion combat on Ashtroth, L1z1x takes no losses to Naalu's 1 Ground Unit; combat resolves in favor of L1z1x.
    In the invasion combat on Loki, L1z1x loses 1 Mechanized Unit, 1 Ground Force, and expends Action Card "Recheck" (AC 7 --> 6) against Naalu's loss of 1 Mechanized Unit; combat resolves in favor of Naalu.
    The Yin Brotherhood: Activate Yin Home System. (CP 2 --> 1)
    Move in 3 Cruisers and 2 Destroyers from Qucen'n-Rarron and 2 Cruisers from Centauri-Gral.
    During the space battle, Yin loses 5 Cruisers and 2 Destroyers, while Muatt expends Action Cards "Morale Boost", "Shields Holding", and "Emergency Repairs" (AC 6 --> 3), losing 1 Cruiser and damaging 1 War Sun; combat resolves in favor of Muaat.
    Universities of Jol-Nar: Activate Jol-Nar Home System. (CP 3 --> 2)
    Exhaust Arinam (1R), Rigel II (1R), Rigel III (1R), 8 Trade Goods (TG 8 --> 0), +1R from Sarween Tools to build 1 War Sun at Nar.
    The Embers of Muaat: Play Primary Ability of (8) Bureaucracy Strategy Card, placing 1 Command Counter into Command Pool. (CP 1 --> 2)
    Muaat looks at the top two cards of the Objective Card deck, revealing the following new objective: [2 VP] I successfully invaded two planets, each containing at least 1 opposing Ground Force, this turn.
    The remaining card is placed face down on top of the deck (3 Stage II Objectives remain hidden)
    Muaat claims Objective Card: [1 VP] I successfully invaded one planet containing at least 1 opposing Ground Force this turn. (VP 4 --> 5)
    Yin plays on the secondary (SA 3 --> 2), drawing 1 Political Card and 1 Action Card to hand. (PC 1 --> 2 AC 3 --> 4)

Current Map: Round 7, Action Phase Update 3

Current Technologies

Victory Points and Objectives
    The Ghosts of Creuss: 5 VP
    The Embers of Muaat: 5 VP
    Universities of Jol-Nar: 4 VP
    The L1z1x Mindnet: 4 VP
    The Naalu Collective: 1 VP
    The Yin Brotherhood: 1 VP

Public Objectives
    [1 VP] I now spend 3 Command Counters from my Command and/or Strategy Allocation areas.: L1z1x, Creuss, Naalu, Muaat, Jol-Nar
    [1 VP] I am blockading an opponent's Space Dock.: Jol-Nar, Muaat
    [1 VP] I control planets with a total influence greater than the player to my immediate right and greater than the player to my immediate left.: Creuss, Yin, Jol-Nar
    [1 VP] I control Mecatol Rex.: Creuss
    [1 VP] I successfully invaded one planet containing at least 1 opposing Ground Force this turn.: Jol-Nar, L1z1x, Muaat
    [1 VP] I now spend 4 Trade Goods, 3 resources, and 3 influence.
    [2 VP] I have 5 Technology Advances of the same color.
    [2 VP] I successfully invaded two planets, each containing at least 1 opposing Ground Force, this turn.
    3 Stage II Objectives remain hidden.

Secret Objectives
    Universities of Jol-Nar: 1 Secret Objective
    The Naalu Collective: 1 Secret Objective
    The L1z1x Mindnet: [2 VP] Threatening: I control systems adjacent to 2 different player's Home Systems.
    The Ghosts of Creuss: [2 VP] Master of Ships: I control Mecatol Rex, I have a Space Dock here, and at least 8 (non-Fighter) ships in the Mecatol Rex system.
    The Embers of Muaat: [2 VP] Conqueror: I control all the planets in another player’s Home System.
    The Yin Brotherhood: 2 Secret Objectives

Universities of Jol-Nar - caliber and GrimmyTOA:
    Trade Goods: 0
    Action Cards: 5
    Political Cards: 2

Strategy Allocation: 2
    Fleet Supply: 4
    Command Pool: 2

Trade Contracts: L1z1x [1], Yin [1]
    Technology: Hylar V Assault Laser, Deep Space Cannon, Magen Defense Grid, War Sun, Duranium Armor, Antimass Deflectors, XRD Transporters, Enviro Compensator, Sarween Tools, Micro Technology, Nano Technology, Graviton Laser System

Worlds:
    X - Jol (1R, 2I)
    X - Nar (2R, 3I)
    X - Arinam (1R, 2I, B)
    R - Meer (0R, 4I)
    R - Rigel I (0R, 1I, G)
    X - Rigel II (1R, 2I)
    X - Rigel III (1R, 1I, B)
    The Naalu Collective - stever777:
    Action Cards: 5
    Political Cards: 0

Strategy Allocation: 0
    Fleet Supply: 4
    Command Pool: 1

Trade Contracts: Muaat [2], Yin [1]
    Technology: Antimass Deflectors, Enviro Compensator, Hylar V Assault Laser, Deep Space Cannon, Hybrid Crystal Drives

Worlds:
    R - Maaluuk (0R, 2I)
    X - Druaa (3R, 1I)
    R - Abaddon (1R, 0I, R)
    X - Bereg (3R, 1I, R)
    X - Lirta IV (2R, 3I, G)
    R - Loki (1R, 2I)
    The L1z1x Mindnet - Iron Weasel and Fidoh:
    Trade Goods: 1
    Action Cards: 6
    Political Cards: 1

Strategy Allocation: 1
    Fleet Supply: 5

Trade Contracts: Jol-Nar [3] (L1z1x [1])
    Technology: Enviro Compensator, Stasis Capsules, Cybernetics, Gen Synthesis, Neural Motivator, Hylar V Assault Laser, Automated Defense Turrets, Assault Cannon

Worlds:
    R - [0.0.0] (5R, 0I)
    X - Ashtroth (2R, 0I)
    X - Faunus (1R, 3I, G (x2))
    X - Saudor (2R, 2I)
    R - Vega Major (2R, 1I)
    X - Vega Minor (1R, 2I, B)
    The Ghosts of Creuss - SeGaTai:
    Trade Goods: 3
    Action Cards: 6
    Political Cards: 1

Strategy Allocation: 0
    Fleet Supply: 8

Trade Contracts: (Creuss [2], Creuss [2])
    Technology: Antimass Deflectors, XRD Transporters, Maneuvering Jets, Hylar V Assault Laser

Worlds:
    X - Creuss (4R, 2I)
    X - Lodor (3R, 1I, G)
    R - Mallice (0R, 3I)
    X - Mecatol Rex (1R, 6I)
    X - Mirage (1R, 2I, F (x2))
    X - Tequ'ran (2R, 0I, R)
    R - Torkan (0R, 3I, B)
    X - Wellon (1R, 2I)
    The Embers of Muaat - Void Slayer:
    Action Cards: 3
    Political Cards: 0

Fleet Supply: 5

Trade Contracts: Naalu [2] (Muaat [2])
    Technology: Enviro Compensator, Sarween Tools, Micro Technology, Hylar V Assault Laser, Deep Space Cannon, War Sun, Neural Motivator, Magmus Reactor

Worlds:
    X - Muaat (4R, 1I)
    X - Darien (2R, 4I)
    X - Capha (3R, 0I)
    R - Centauri (1R, 3I)
    R - Gral (1R, 1I, B)
    R - Quann (2R, 1I, G)
    X - Tar'mann (1R, 1I)
    The Yin Brotherhood - MrBody:
    Trade Goods: 5
    Action Cards: 4
    Political Cards: 2

Fleet Supply: 7
    Command Pool: 1

Trade Contracts: Jol-Nar [1], Naalu [1]
    Technology: Hylar V Assault Laser, Automated Defense Turrets, Enviro Compensator, Stasis Capsules

Worlds:
    X - Hercalor (1R, 0I, Y)
    X - Qucen'n (1R, 2I)
    X - Rarron (0I, 3R, G) *values swapped*
    X - Thibah (1R, 1I)
    X - Tiamat (1R, 2I, Y)
    X - Vefut II (2R, 0I, R)

Special Effects
    Minister of Peace - Creuss may cancel a fleet's movement into a system containing an enemy fleet, so long as he does not control either fleet. The target system remains activated by the attacker. This ability is discarded after it is used.

Multiculturalism - Creuss has copied Naalu's racial ability regarding their initiative number for the duration of round 7.

Order of Play
    The Ghosts of Creuss: (0.6) Warfare II Current Turn
    The Naalu Collective: (0.7) Technology II
    The L1z1x Mindnet: (3) Assembly
    The Yin Brotherhood: (4) Production
    Universities of Jol-Nar: (5) Trade II
    The Embers of Muaat: (8) Bureaucracy

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    Geez. Not only is it impossible for me to play the action card I got, but the effect is weaker than another card I had that had no prerequisite condition!

That's rough, buddy [/Zuko]

Currently Playing:
    Yeah the action cards can really be divided into three types : Good in specific circumstances, great at all times, and marginal in specific circumstances. You basically have to draw two action cards to get one good one.

edited March 2013
    What the heck I'll just share what I drew for a chuckle. This one doesn't fit into those 3 categories!

"If you control Mecatol Rex, double its influence value for a single vote"

So that's:

-IF you control the most contested system on the map
    -IF an important vote comes up (most of them aren't)
    +6 extra votes

I guess that would be "negligible in double specific circumstances"

It's especially funny when you remember that there's another action card that just straight up gives you an extra 10 votes with no prerequisites.

MrBody on
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Ouch.

• calibercaliber Registered User regular
    I've never looked through the deck of ACs/PCs to see what's possible but ... wow. That has to be in the running for the "least likely to be useful to it's holder" position. I guess it's at least worth a TG, right?

No! Only political cards can be used as a TG!!!

It was almost as painful for me to send you your draw as it was for you to receive it. Almost.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited March 2013
    Any idea if it's a base game or expansion card? I can't imagine it and the +10 unconditional votes card being in the same set.

It's actually the best card I could have got. No way do I have the slightest chance of winning so laughter is the best draw right now.

MrBody on
    It's from the base game, same as the other card. And to answer the next question I'd expect, I think you're reading the new card you got wrong - it's not a strictly inferior effect but it certainly is less desirable taken as a whole.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Ah, it lasts as long as you control Rex.

Still...

@SeGatai, just a reminder that it's your turn.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    [Creuss]

Activate Saudor-Move in carrier from Lodor carrying 2 fighters and 2GFs, Move in carrier from Mecatol Rex carrying 2GFs and 1 Mech Unit, 4 cruisers and 2 destroyers. Move the High alert Token with the fleet. Mecatol Rex fleet moves through Wellon and Khan.

TG/AC/PC:3/6/1
    SA/FS/CP:0/8/1

PSN SeGaTai
    That's not going to get you 5 juicy trade goods!

Found this, the BGG house rules for TI3. Some interesting reading in there if you're curious.

Yea if a different objective had come up going for that prize might have been worth it. The muaat have been clever about not keeping enough GFs around.

PSN SeGaTai
    I agree that the spirit of those cards should count mechanized units as ground forces, since the point is it just does not want unopposed invasions to count. In future games I will certainly push for that, makes a lot more sense.

ERROR: The units moving from Mecatol Rex may not move through the Khan! Ion Storm without stopping. (Nebula and Ion Storm systems do not allow ships to pass through in a single activation.) Please revise orders.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    I thought that was the whole point of maneuvering jets?

PSN SeGaTai
    Oh hey, I forgot that technology did that. What do you know. OK, your action is legal then, and I just need to hear back from L1z1x on any preliminary battle conditionals.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    I agree that the spirit of those cards should count mechanized units as ground forces, since the point is it just does not want unopposed invasions to count. In future games I will certainly push for that, makes a lot more sense.

That's one of the big things I noticed in the BGG house rules: mech units are changed to be affected by every rule that mentions ground forces, which makes a lot more sense than the official rules. Conditions, bombardment, bacterial weapon: all affect mech units. Really creates a tradeoff in risk/reward.

No conditionals, thanks.

Currently Playing:
    Round 7 - Battle at Saudor

Creuss has 4 Cruisers, 2 Destroyers, 2 Carriers, 2 Fighters (plus High Alert Token and 1 Mechanized Unit and 4 Ground Forces).
    L1z1x has 2 Cruisers (and 2 Ground Forces on Saudor).

Round 1: Creuss Cruisers 4#1d10+2 = {11, 12, 8, 11 > 7}, Destroyers 2#1d10+2 = {6, 5 < 9}, Carriers 2#1d10+1 = {8, 3 < 9}, Fighters 2#1d10+1 = {11, 11 > 9}, 6 hits. L1z1x destroys 2 Cruisers.
    L1z1x Cruisers 2#1d10+1 = {11, 8 > 7}, 2 hits. Creuss destroys 2 Fighters.

Combat resolves in favor of Creuss, who lands 1 Mechanized Unit and 4 Ground Forces on Saudor.

Round 7 - Invasion of Saudor

Round 1: Creuss Mechanized Unit 2d10 = {2 < 6, 10 > 6}, Ground Forces 4d10 = {3 < 8; 8, 9, 9 > 8}, 4 hits. L1z1x destroys 2 Ground Forces.
    L1z1x Ground Forces 2#1d10+1 = {4 < 8; 11 > 8}, 1 hit. Creuss, which unit will take the hit?

L1z1x Gen Synthesis 2d10 = {2 < 5; 5 = 5}, 1 Ground Force regenerated on [0.0.0].

Combat resolves in favor of Creuss; once they have decided how their hit will be allocated, it will be Naalu's turn to act.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Mech unit takes the hit

PSN SeGaTai
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Naalu

PASS

TG/AC/PC: 0/5/0
    SA/FS/CP: 0/4/1

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • FidohFidoh BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Wow. I didn't realize maneuvering jets did that. That sucks.

Fidoh on