As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - Intensity

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited February 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Intensity

Intensity
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/intensity

Back-Asswards Testing

Anonymous

Several years ago, I worked on a AAA title that was fast approaching it’s release date, but still had issues both minor and major. The company decided that rather than fix the problems before release, that they would go gold with a version of the game they knew didn’t work.

When I say it didn’t work, I mean it was actually impossible to complete the game because of a major glitch that would crash the game EVERY TIME you got to a certain point. They figured they would make the release date and just issue a patch quickly to resolve the issue.

Needless to say, the reviews and forums ripped the game a new one. The company was under intense pressure to release the fix, so once again they do the logical thing - released the patch without having QA test it first. We found out from Blues News that our own patch had been released, and were told by development to download and test the patch from the public link.

It had to be re-patched.

Geth on

• Options
    J-mentalJ-mental Registered User regular
    Sounds like Fallout New Vegas. A game that was released with so many glitches you couldn't use the QUICKSAVE function. Never forgave Bethesda for that. Figured I should have at least gotten a discount on their game for testing it for them.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The PA dig made me smile.

• Options
    JohnnyricoMCJohnnyricoMC Registered User regular
    I feel sorry for Cora's dad now. Social and mobile games really suu... (the u's go on for quite a while) ...uuuuck and end up doing popular franchises more harm than good. I'm holding my heart for the damage that "Teal's revenge" add-on for the Stargate Command app will do to the SG franchise.

As for the story: could be so many games other than the Fallouts. The Codemasters F1-games with their corrupt save bugs each darn release spring to mind. The story unfortunately clearly shows an imho dangerous mentality shift thanks to game consoles having network connections nowadays: rather than squash as many bugs as possible, devs now just plan to release day-one patches for the games. All the wile journalists are issued the final release version sometimes up to a month ahead of release for review, and they deduct points for serious bugs (and are right for doing so since gamers without a network connection will play this unpatched version).

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    That's kinda silly. Games aren't buggier because the internet made developers lazy and publishers greedier. Games got several times more complex, and they're multiplatform releases more often than not. Plus, the growing team sizes made the pressure for a quicker release even greater, because every extra month means a lot of salaries without revenue from the game.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean developers are never lazy and that publishers aren't greedy.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    It's more like, with the rise of social gaming, the lazy and the greedy found their true home.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    So the Trenches universe encompasses Penny Arcade and the characters in it. Or is the Trenches PA the PA done by Gabe and Tycho, not the one done by Mike and Jerry?

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    That's kinda silly. Games aren't buggier because the internet made developers lazy and publishers greedier. Games got several times more complex, and they're multiplatform releases more often than not. Plus, the growing team sizes made the pressure for a quicker release even greater, because every extra month means a lot of salaries without revenue from the game.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean developers are never lazy and that publishers aren't greedy.

Downloadable patches allow games to be way buggier. Back in the 80s, if you shipped a broken game, that was it. Sure you could fix it for future copies sold, but people would savage you for it and return the games to the store. But now the fact that you can patch allows you to risk having bugs. You can gamble that you'll have fixed them by launch and have a day 1 patch. The very fact that it is an option means publishers will sometimes pick it.

• Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil buggy software.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    J-mental wrote: »
    Sounds like Fallout New Vegas. A game that was released with so many glitches you couldn't use the QUICKSAVE function. Never forgave Bethesda for that. Figured I should have at least gotten a discount on their game for testing it for them.

I won't presume to guess what game it was, but the reference to Blues News tells me you probably need to go back at least 5-10 years before New Vegas came out :P Does that site even still exist? :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    IamToochIamTooch Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    So the Trenches universe encompasses Penny Arcade and the characters in it. Or is the Trenches PA the PA done by Gabe and Tycho, not the one done by Mike and Jerry?

/read scroll
    The scroll says, "You are reading a scroll."
    /say How meta.
    Right you are.

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    I think this is my favorite Trenches.

Go'n get 'viscerated by them graphics son!

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    A Game Of Thrones flavoured Final Fantasy mobile game. Excellent.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Wasn't Daikatana unbeatable, at least for many users, at release? I even remember one dev having a thread on the forum where you could post your save and he'd just skip you ahead to the end of the level to bypass the crash while they scrambled for a patch.

Weird QA cycles also seem to plague MMOs, especially the ones that aren't backed by a million subscribers and huge studios. I could rattle off seven or eight off hand that had major patches in testing for months, finally getting somewhere good, then a last minute update goes from the devs to the test server to live servers between about 10 PM the day before launch and the 10 AM launch and everyone wonders "WTF!? It wasn't it like this on the PTS?"

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    J-mental wrote: »

I won't presume to guess what game it was, but the reference to Blues News tells me you probably need to go back at least 5-10 years before New Vegas came out :P Does that site even still exist? :P

Apparently, yes, and it was even updated today.

http://www.bluesnews.com/

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Laughed at the Penny-Arcade bit, the rest of it is depressingly true for social/online games.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I like the preposterous harp-sword. Reminds me of most magical weapons in trashy pulp novels.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    So...is the development team for this game Q and four testers? Q's got an awfully big floor to himself...

• Options
    JohnnyricoMCJohnnyricoMC Registered User regular

Just compare the previous generation with the current generation. Team sizes have grown a bit, but not *that* much and budgets have grown too. However, a clear mentality shift has occurred, with console games now indeed shipping with breaking bugs on the disc, which was deemed near-unthinkable just one generation ago. Developers can now somewhat afford shipping games with bugs and it shows.
    In the previous generation cutting content into DLC to meet deadlines was also rare if not nonexistent. If the cut content did get released eventually, it usually was in a special re-release of the game. An example is Fable: The Lost Chapters, which eventually made it to the Xbox too under the Classics label.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Probably Gabe and Tycho: remember last week, Cora's Dad references Franzibald, so he and Tycho have a common literary enemy.

• Options
    tripleR6tripleR6 Registered User regular
    Just so we're clear, that's kvothe, right?

kvothe-imagen.jpg

• Options
    NyeNye Registered User new member
    Two words: Neverwinter. Nights.

Released unexpectedly after apparently just a few weeks of beta testing. Unplayable at release. Day one patch which caused as many problems as it fixed. Subsequent patches introducing major issues which even cursory testing would have revealed (like creatures being unable to cast any of their spells). Only fully functional after about a year and a dozen or so patches.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I thought we weren't supposed to play "guess the game they're talking about in the tales?"
    So...is the development team for this game Q and four testers? Q's got an awfully big floor to himself...

I'm starting to wonder about that myself... maybe he's outsourced all of the development to someone?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Well I loved the blatant reference to George RR Martins obsession with feasts in Game of Thrones. I often tell people who've only seen the TV show "Take all the sex scenes in the show, and replace them with feasts in the books. George RR Martin is a great big fat guy and it shows."

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yeah, fuck those PA guys.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I thought we weren't supposed to play "guess the game they're talking about in the tales?"

I'm starting to wonder about that myself... maybe he's outsourced all of the development to someone?
    As the movie Grandma's Boy has shown, video games are created entirely by lone developers.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    s

Just compare the previous generation with the current generation. Team sizes have grown a bit, but not *that* much and budgets have grown too. However, a clear mentality shift has occurred, with console games now indeed shipping with breaking bugs on the disc, which was deemed near-unthinkable just one generation ago. Developers can now somewhat afford shipping games with bugs and it shows.
    In the previous generation cutting content into DLC to meet deadlines was also rare if not nonexistent. If the cut content did get released eventually, it usually was in a special re-release of the game. An example is Fable: The Lost Chapters, which eventually made it to the Xbox too under the Classics label.

There always were gamebreaking bugs. And cut content.
    Ultima VIII had a fuckton of cut content. Ultima VII part two was a buggy, weird mess of rushed content in the final third. Even Ultima VII part 1 had several bugs that could kill your game if you broke certain sequences. Both games were buggy as fuck. That third Elite game was the buggiest mess humankind ever saw. Fallout 1 and 2 had all kind of weird glitches. Metroid Prime had a whole speed run community build upon glitch exploiting and sequence breaking. Need I mention Elder Scrolls Daggerfall?

There's plenty of examples of fucked up games on any generation. The PS1 had its fair share of them.

Games get more complex every year, in terms of coding, features, graphics, content. Maybe some aspects of design got simpler, such as the levels in an average FPS. But other than those amazingly complex levels, Doom was simple as fuck, compared to CoD. Guns were a lot simpler in how they interacted with the world, multiplayer was simpler and there weren't any classes or anything to balance, no jumping, no actual Z axis, so on, so forth.

The tons of cut content from those days ended up in some landfill, or forgotten in some basement. Now we actually get the chance to see things that get cut.

People who complain about those things are usually people who know very little about game development. There is a limited amount of time and money to make a game. Most companies simply cannot afford to work on a game until it's 100% perfect. Sure, sometimes publishers indeed butcher games that could reasonably be developed for a longer while, but they also did that back in the beginning. Like Pacman on the 2600, or ET. Or Superman 64. The list is long.

Rushed jobs are not something new. Broken games are not new. It's just that, before, games were a lot easier, a lot cheaper, a lot quicker to make and test.

I see this issue the other way around. Nowadays, a good game with bugs can get a fair chance after patches, but back then, a good game with bugs was dead on arrival.

And I didn't even mentioned how patches made online multiplayer balancing a reality. Starcraft and LOL wouldn't be so popular in a patchless world.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    tripleR6 wrote: »

kvothe-imagen.jpg

A lone hero standing on a hill, the wind whipping his robes, is not exactly a meme invented by Patrick Rothfuss (nor I guess whoever did that illustration). I'd buy it more as a reference to that specific illustration if the angles and wind direction were the same.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Flip it left to right, add three more heroes/companions/Warriors of Light, and you get:
    gfs_3122_2_1.jpg

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Wasn't Daikatana unbeatable, at least for many users, at release? I even remember one dev having a thread on the forum where you could post your save and he'd just skip you ahead to the end of the level to bypass the crash while they scrambled for a patch

You are correct but not due to a bug - well okay there were fuckloads of game breaking bugs - but just a terrible design decision. To beat the game you needed to have a levelled up sword (the titular Daikatana), which if you didn't use because shooting things was easier for the majority of the game wouldn't level up. So you could get to the final area of the game, needing a levelled up Daikatana to win the game and not actually be able to proceed because you hadn't killed enough shit with it earlier in the game. They patched this later, but before that it forced a reload and then farming some enemies to actually go forward.

The other bug was the last level not spawning something that let you proceed in co-op. If you didn't play it coop it worked fine, but failed when playing it coop. A similar bug involved another door earlier on, where it wouldn't open if you played the game in coop.

Actually, there were so many individual game breaking bugs in that game I don't know where to begin.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    CubeWatermelonCubeWatermelon Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    tripleR6 wrote: »

kvothe-imagen.jpg

A lone hero standing on a hill, the wind whipping his robes, is not exactly a meme invented by Patrick Rothfuss (nor I guess whoever did that illustration). I'd buy it more as a reference to that specific illustration if the angles and wind direction were the same.

Haha yeah, it's more meant as a reference to All Fantasy Shots Ever. The guys said to draw something fantasy and that was the first kind of shot that came to mind.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    wait so
    are they gonna hire developers?
    how did they get the trailer made
    are we gonna meet devs?

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »

As the movie Grandma's Boy has shown, video games are created entirely by lone developers.

You have no idea how often that movie comes up when discussing my job with friends/family/loved ones.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Kochikens wrote: »
    wait so
    are they gonna hire developers?
    how did they get the trailer made
    are we gonna meet devs?

It is more about the Trenches. We're probably not seeing them because it's sort of like infantry in the trenches (back when we used trenches) seeing the armored division. Doesn't happen often and most of the time they just gallantly ride along while the footsloggers look on in envy*.

*looseinterpretationofhistorymetaphor,notmeanttobeentirelyaccuratetohistoricalbattlecircumstances

Viktor Walters on
  • Options
    FloydHereNowFloydHereNow Registered User regular
    How long until someone starts a wiki on the RhymeBlade of Ballad-Ur (social)? I, too, want to sieze and control local eateries so I can write long-winded descriptions of elaborate feasts like George R. R. Martin. Will Trenches fans ever be able to rival the Elemenstor Saga?

• Options
    fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    Nye wrote: »
    Two words: Neverwinter. Nights.

Released unexpectedly after apparently just a few weeks of beta testing. Unplayable at release. Day one patch which caused as many problems as it fixed. Subsequent patches introducing major issues which even cursory testing would have revealed (like creatures being unable to cast any of their spells). Only fully functional after about a year and a dozen or so patches.
    True story: Neverwinter Nights is the reason I bought a Gamecube and haven't purchased a PC game in ten years.

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate