As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Simcity] Where discussion of water pollution and power grids is normal.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Im game for a region

Im mojojoeo there as well.
    @mojojoeo, would you guys mind adding yourself to the sheet via the SimCity Questionnaire?

TPSou wrote: »
    I'm up for a region, I'm in the UK and origin name is TPSou
    @TPSou would you mind adding yourself to the sheet via the SimCity Questionnaire?

• TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Done and done, sorry I missed it before. I've ordered the download from Amazon US but Im guessing it won't activate for me until the 8th anyway

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So I'm playing SimCity 4 in rabid excitement "tide me over" time, and I can't figure out for the life of me how to get dirty industry to switch over to manufacturing. I've tried building parks, surrounding the industrial zones with commercial, etc...nope, they just want to be dirty.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Is there an advantage to having people from the same region in the same timezone? If so, wouldn't it make sense to break out into at least two separate polls, so you have a Euro region and American region?

Other parts of the world don't exist.

What is this I don't even.
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Right. We need to add 70 pages to this thread by Tuesday so we can make a new thread with Region Info and stuff. Get busy people.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• RobesRobes Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I'm playing SimCity 4 in rabid excitement "tide me over" time, and I can't figure out for the life of me how to get dirty industry to switch over to manufacturing. I've tried building parks, surrounding the industrial zones with commercial, etc...nope, they just want to be dirty.
    Tax the hell out of dirty industry and give manufacturing a tax break :)

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Is there an advantage to having people from the same region in the same timezone? If so, wouldn't it make sense to break out into at least two separate polls, so you have a Euro region and American region?

Other parts of the world don't exist.
    The Questionnaire collects Timezone, so if we get enough responses across the world/US we can break region preferences down that way.

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    We could always just PM a mod and ask if we can make a new thread and have this one closed. I'd vote for @jdarksun to do the honors. Or lets just get @Rorus Raz in here to see if that'd be ok.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
    The game is asynchronous multi-player for the most part. I think the only reason that people need to be online at the same time is social, and expedience of setting up resource links.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Can you visit other players cities in your region and look at them if they aren't online?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Just a note for people voting for the delta, that is probably going to result in slightly smaller city size available for building, so, if the city size is one of your issues, you probably shouldn't play that map. :P

Why do you say that? Has there been some info regarding different city sizes for different regions? I was under the assumption that your actual city square was pretty much the same. Or are you referring to the water intruding on some cities?

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Can you visit other players cities in your region and look at them if they aren't online?

Yes

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Just a note for people voting for the delta, that is probably going to result in slightly smaller city size available for building, so, if the city size is one of your issues, you probably shouldn't play that map. :P

Why do you say that? Has there been some info regarding different city sizes for different regions? I was under the assumption that your actual city square was pretty much the same. Or are you referring to the water intruding on some cities?

Yeah, talking about the heavy amount of water.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    The game is asynchronous multi-player for the most part. I think the only reason that people need to be online at the same time is social, and expedience of setting up resource links.

Social would still be pretty valuable, though. A lively region with chatter and discussion on what needs to be built/linked is a more vibrant game than the alternate, I'd think.

Ah yeah that might be an issue. From what I see of the city placement though most of them only have a small portion taken up by water so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Personally I actually prefer the aesthetics of water cities :D.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    We could always just PM a mod and ask if we can make a new thread and have this one closed. I'd vote for @jdarksun to do the honors. Or lets just get @Rorus Raz in here to see if that'd be ok.
    I'm around and available if needed to do so.

Darkewolfe wrote: »

Social would still be pretty valuable, though. A lively region with chatter and discussion on what needs to be built/linked is a more vibrant game than the alternate, I'd think.

I agree. I'm just saying if you get the guy from England in you region, and you really only see him online at odd times on the weekend, it's okay. It's not a death knell to the region.

• El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    Anyone else find it interesting that the last 4 pages have been about how excited people are to play online with each other? Early comments made it sound like the apocalypse.

Well, I mean, the always online is still certainly a DRM feature, but at least they took the time to tack interesting asynchronous multi-player on top. Provided the region saves when the servers go down (or at reasonable intervals so that the time warp isn't bad), the inevitable always online hiccups won't bother me.

El Guaco wrote: »
    Anyone else find it interesting that the last 4 pages have been about how excited people are to play online with each other? Early comments made it sound like the apocalypse.
    The live streams are pretty great marketing.

edited March 2013
    El Guaco wrote: »

In this case the game actually looks SO good (and plays that way as well from beta experiences and the livestreams) that even the standard naysayers that always pop up in a AAA title either were converted or drowned in the sea of awesome.

All this in spite of "always-online" as well, which is truly a feat.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular

Ah yeah that might be an issue. From what I see of the city placement though most of them only have a small portion taken up by water so hopefully it won't be too bad.

the counterpoint is that waterfront property apparently makes it much easier to ship goods to regional markets

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • GrumpyJoeGrumpyJoe Registered User regular
    Well I'm happy to say Maxis has come through for us at the last minute. Check out this brand new screenshot of the post-beta release version:

LfFHslj.jpg

Its so simple I'm surprised someone who's job it is to think of this stuff didn't think of it before. In any case now we can all relax, knowing that everyone will be able to adjust play to their own preference and system. Looking forward to release!

• mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    I'm taking credit for resurrecting this thread. No one was talking about this game till I necro'd it!

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
    GrumpyJoe wrote: »
    Well I'm happy to say Maxis has come through for us at the last minute. Check out this brand new screenshot of the post-beta release version:

LfFHslj.jpg

Its so simple I'm surprised someone who's job it is to think of this stuff didn't think of it before. In any case now we can all relax, knowing that everyone will be able to adjust play to their own preference and system. Looking forward to release!

Wow....Bravo Maxis.

tumblr_m5qf8nssHo1qbaj4uo1_500.gif

delphinidaes.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    that..that is some pretty bad photoshopping

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    @jdarksun

You can go ahead and make a new thread since the old OP hasn't been updated in forever and release is very soon.

YL9WnCY.png
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Hmm wonder how much bigger a "Large" plot is then the size we've seen in the beta.

and about the online region stuff, If it was my choice I would prefer the game to be playable offline, and have the region multiplayer stuff as an option. But seeing as the game is what it is, I'll embrace it and play with some other folks.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    I didn't really follow the doom and gloom so much. I've popped into this thread a handful of times since the game was announced, without obsessing over every detail.

As we approach release, I am pleased and looking forward to playing Simcity the MMO.

The best part is the "Best Buy E-Machine Brand dated 2003"

I'm hoping it's a real thing they are doing though and not just a joke. It's doubtful though considering what they said in the developer video.

delphinidaes.png
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    Hmm wonder how much bigger a "Large" plot is then the size we've seen in the beta.

and about the online region stuff, If it was my choice I would prefer the game to be playable offline, and have the region multiplayer stuff as an option. But seeing as the game is what it is, I'll embrace it and play with some other folks.

You can play by yourself too though. Just always online of course.

Rorus Raz wrote: »
    @jdarksun

You can go ahead and make a new thread since the old OP hasn't been updated in forever and release is very soon.
    Acknowledged, working on it now.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

The best part is the "Best Buy E-Machine Brand dated 2003"

I'm hoping it's a real thing they are doing though and not just a joke. It's doubtful though considering what they said in the developer video.

It really should be an option, because I bet the reason they've gone for smaller plots is because they want to make sure it runs on things running integrated graphics and a slower cpu like most laptops or walmart special pc are these days.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    I just noticed that my CPU is the cutoff line for minimum requirements. D: This may give me an arguing point with the wife to finally upgrade my aging machine.

• mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Just a reminder that the image posted is completely fake.

Here are my notes why:

1.) The screenshot specifically says Best Buy E-Machine Brand Dated 2003.

- EA or Maxis would never call out a company by name, that gives them free advertising and makes them open to a lawsuit. Also, WHERE you bought the machine is irrelevant and would never be listed.

2.) Why is there an "I read and unders_" at the bottom? It's either ACCEPT or DECLINE, you don't type in the acknowledgement.

3.) The bottom UI doesn't match the theme with the rest.

4.) The Maxis logo is heavily rasterized and pixellated, a legitimate logo would be clean with vectors.

5.) The background used is from websites and not in-game.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif

I was reading through the plot descriptions, trying to match them with the maps and the current forest region that is winning has two areas that seem to be made up of islands in the middle of rivers. Depending on the size of the plots, one of them would probably only have a sliver of land on the river edge the rest is all on the islands.

• MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    http://forums.greenmangaming.com/topic/4428/?page=2#post-42846

No preloading - Copy & Paste below.
    Hi everyone,

There will be no preload available for SimCity. Unfortunately this is not something that is within our control.

There won't be a preload even if you were to purchase directly from Origin. This information is from EA itself.

-James

League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
    Two more votes and we are going to need all three regions.

This discussion has been closed.