As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassins Ball at PAX East 2013! Feedback Requested!

• RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Signed me and the Girl up the other day! Last time I played my target turned out to be my +1 for the Omegathon but I got taken out before I could find them to kill them once PAX started.

It's been awhile since I've done this but is anyone still doing the loot drop thing? I always liked that idea.

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
    RichSoCash wrote: »
    Mission card is a huge improvement
    Glad you like it!
    Just got the 35$ pack cant wait.
    Randomfool wrote: »
    Signed me and the Girl up the other day! Last time I played my target turned out to be my +1 for the Omegathon but I got taken out before I could find them to kill them once PAX started.
    Thanks @TechGamingNews and @Randomfool!
    Randomfool wrote: »
    It's been awhile since I've done this but is anyone still doing the loot drop thing? I always liked that idea.
    I totally forgot to mention Loot and Signature Kills! I will add that into the OP shortly but for those unfamiliar with what we're talking about Loot and Signature Kills are optional community rules where you give a small prize to your assassin (Loot) or to your prey (Signature Kills).

• EchoZeroEchoZero Registered User regular
    Re: loot and signature kills

If you want to do this it doesnt have to be anything horribly expensive (unless you want it to be) as an example for my kills I left my calling card (which was my PAX trading card) and for the person that killed me (although I lived through the entire 3 days) they would have been a PAX challenge coin. All things said and done between the two of these we were talking like $6.

I will have these again this year for my victims and potential killer.

• wrccitroenwrccitroen New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Went cheap & got the $14 kit for me & my friend...who's ready to get it on?!

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    [removed]

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    Just signed up! Seems fun.

Knowing my luck I'll probably get assassinated within the first two hours of PAX, lol

I like the loot drop/signature kill ideas, very cool.

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
    edited February 2013
    wrccitroen wrote: »
    Went cheap & got the $14 kit for me & my friend...who's ready to get it on?!
    zeromyst wrote: »
    Just signed up! Seems fun.

Knowing my luck I'll probably get assassinated within the first two hours of PAX, lol

I like the loot drop/signature kill ideas, very cool.
    Thanks @wrccitroen and @zeromyst!

MarsChelios on
  • KapolKapol Registered User regular
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm a bit confused so I figured I'd ask. If we're playing and get killed, what exactly do we hand our killer? Every card, the mission and assassination card, or just the assassination card? If we get assassinated, are we simply done for the rest of PAX? I'm likely going to take part, but I'd like to know what to expect.

• zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    Kapol wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm a bit confused so I figured I'd ask. If we're playing and get killed, what exactly do we hand our killer? Every card, the mission and assassination card, or just the assassination card?
    Based from what I have read it seems when you are assassinated you hand over both your mission card and assassination card to that person. Your assassin will then carry on with your mission.
    If we get assassinated, are we simply done for the rest of PAX?
    Looks like there is a "Second Life" packet included for those who ordered premium kits. If you did not order a premium kit it is a $3 add-on. (per kit)
    Second Lives

Every now and then someone has asked about extra lives so they can keep playing if they are assassinated. Second lives are way to do that, a second chance should you be assassinated. Second Lives can be used only once and when used they create a second score for your new life that starts at zero (Your previous lifes' score is preserved on the sites leaderboard).

Each second life packet contains a new Mission and Assassination card. Each pack has a ReLife card with a code to register online to start your second life. Premium kits automatically receive a Second Life kit, other backers will be able to add a second life for $3 per kit in their pledge.
    This may all be misinformation as this will be my first time playing. So take all of this with a grain of salt.

I found a PDF rule sheet on the official site but please note that it was intended for PAX Prime 2012. You can get a "feel" for the game by reading this but the rules may not be 100% identical for PAX East '13.

http://www.phenixone.com/resources/games/AssassinsBall/AssassinsBall_Rules_PRIME_Draft3.pdf

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    [removed]

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    I still have my card and whatnot from last year, I can see about doing a video.

edited February 2013
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm a bit confused so I figured I'd ask. If we're playing and get killed, what exactly do we hand our killer? Every card, the mission and assassination card, or just the assassination card?
    Based from what I have read it seems when you are assassinated you hand over both your mission card and assassination card to that person. Your assassin will then carry on with your mission.
    Thanks @kapol for the questions and @zeromyst for answering them! The only thing I'll add to what zeromyst said about assassinations is that when you are assassinated you will hand over your current mission and your assassination card. You will keep any completed missions and the assassination card you received for completing them so you can register your kill.
    If we get assassinated, are we simply done for the rest of PAX?
    Gathering Intel
    If you've been assassinated there is still a way to get prestige points called Gathering Intel. In the past gathering intel worked by finding players, noting the 5-letter code on their badge and entering it online for points. Since this code is no longer visible on the front of badges this is changing into more of a trading mechanic. Each player receives an Intel Card with a 5-letter code on it. To Gather Intel you will now need to trade your card with theirs and register the code on it. Each code can only be registered once per player but you can trade with as many players as you can find. I've updated the OP to reflect this piece of the kit.

I had an interesting idea about Gathering Intel and would like your feedback. I thought it would be cool if the Intel Cards gained value the more they were traded and lose value if they were not traded fast enough. There would be a minimum value an Intel Card would start at (most likely 10 prestige) and a maximum value they could get to (say 50 prestige). I feel like this would really drive the Gathering Intel mechanic to be used more and also add a new layer of social interaction to the game.

Second Lives
    Like @zeromyst mentions I'm adding a way to come back into the game if you are assassinated called Second Lives. Second Lives are optional and not required to play the game but I think it will allow players to enjoy the game more. This is a bit of an experiment and if it works out will be incorporated into future games.
    I found a PDF rule sheet on the official site but please note that it was intended for PAX Prime 2012. You can get a "feel" for the game by reading this but the rules may not be 100% identical for PAX East '13.

http://www.phenixone.com/resources/games/AssassinsBall/AssassinsBall_Rules_PRIME_Draft3.pdf
    This will give new players a good sense of the overall game but there will be some differences for this game, most of those have been discussed on here though. I'm readying files for printing and ordering early this week and hope to have a new rules document with the new materials out by the end of the week.
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    Man, I've been playing for years and I still don't know the rules! Well, I used to when they were very simple. I just need to read them more thoroughly.

If anyone were energetic, though, a quick video lecture of the rules would likely be far more effective for those not fully grasping the rules (or too lazy to read!)
    Lol, the rules have been slowly growing bigger and bigger, I had to reference last years rules for some of the questions too! I'm hoping to cut down on some of the length by making things more concise. Also the Mission, Assassination, and Intel cards will have instructions on the back explaining their purpose and use.

I would love to put a video together explaining the new materials, identifying targets, etc. If someone has video editing experience and would be willing to help with that let me know!

MarsChelios on
  • N13N13 Registered User regular
    Each player receives an Intel Card with a 5-letter code on it. To Gather Intel you will now need to trade your card with theirs and register the code on it. Each code can only be registered once per player but you can trade with as many players as you can find. I've updated the OP to reflect this piece of the kit.
    So, in essence, one isn't necessarily gathering intel on the target, but swapping intel with him. That is, a player will only give away "his" intel once. Do you get the target's intel when you make the kill? If so, you'd have two (or more) intel cards from that point forward.
    I had an interesting idea about Gathering Intel and would like your feedback. I thought it would be cool if the Intel Cards gained value the more they were traded and lose value if they were not traded fast enough. There would be a minimum value an Intel Card would start at (most likely 10 prestige) and a maximum value they could get to (say 50 prestige). I feel like this would really drive the Gathering Intel mechanic to be used more and also add a new layer of social interaction to the game.
    If gathering intel is a time-sensitive job, this would seem to require mobile access.

edited February 2013
    N13 wrote: »
    Each player receives an Intel Card with a 5-letter code on it. To Gather Intel you will now need to trade your card with theirs and register the code on it. Each code can only be registered once per player but you can trade with as many players as you can find. I've updated the OP to reflect this piece of the kit.
    So, in essence, one isn't necessarily gathering intel on the target, but swapping intel with him. That is, a player will only give away "his" intel once. Do you get the target's intel when you make the kill? If so, you'd have two (or more) intel cards from that point forward.
    Yes, you are trading intel with other players. You do not give your intel card up when you are assassinated or take a targets intel card.
    N13 wrote: »
    If gathering intel is a time-sensitive job, this would seem to require mobile access.
    A mobile or responsive site would be a big benefit to the entire game and with enough support it's something I would like to make happen. I don't see lack of mobile support a deal-breaker for this mechanic considering the default will be to have intel worth the minimum value of points.

MarsChelios on
  • metdennmetdenn Registered User regular
    In!

metdenn wrote: »
    In!

Thanks @metdenn!

I'm preparing the badge and mission files to be sent to the printer and I made some videos of that process. Enjoy!

Badge Generation Video
    Mission Generation Video

Alright, I'm in. Now I just need to decide which faction I'm going to be a part of.

• powerpunchpowerpunch Registered User new member
    Bringing a bachelor party to PAX... you've got eight more assassins backing.

Cowboys for LIIIIIIIIIFE. (Just kidding. We're rolling ponies.)

• ViciousEin02ViciousEin02 NYRegistered User regular
    Second year going to PAX. I got the $14 kit for me and a friend... Cant wait to play this game going to be alot of fun. When do we pick out our factions?

Pax East 2015
    Assassins Ball 2015
    Pax East 2012 & 2013 Attendee

edited February 2013
    Alright, I'm in. Now I just need to decide which faction I'm going to be a part of.
    powerpunch wrote: »

Second year going to PAX. I got the $14 kit for me and a friend... Cant wait to play this game going to be alot of fun.
    Thanks @Kapol, @powerpunch, and @ViciousEin02!
    When do we pick out our factions?
    You'll choose the faction(s) for your kit(s) in the backer survey sent out once the Kickstarter closes.

MarsChelios on
  • vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    Bought the last Premium one. Sorry! Looking forward to this, though!

vicechan wrote: »
    Bought the last Premium one. Sorry! Looking forward to this, though!
    Thanks @vicechan!

I received sample buttons today based on the design in the project description. Both types look great and the symbols really standout but I was struck by how dark the backgrounds were so I'll be lightening those a bit to make them standout better. Check the samples out below:

Premium Blue
    ShinyBlue.png

Premium Pink
    ShinyPink.png

Regular Blue
    RegularBlue.png

Regular Pink
    RegularPink.png

Let me know what you think!

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Just got reminded about this and for some reason am really excited. I plan on buying a kit once I find out if my friends want in.

Does anyone get dressed up as an assassin for this? I know it probably defeats the purpose of being sneaky, but I can't help that I still want to. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    @MarsChelios, how dark are they supposed to be? Personally I think they look fine (amazing!) the way they are.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Just got reminded about this and for some reason am really excited. I plan on buying a kit once I find out if my friends want in.

Does anyone get dressed up as an assassin for this? I know it probably defeats the purpose of being sneaky, but I can't help that I still want to. Haha.
    Awesome @redfield85! I know last year at East some people dressed up, haven't heard anything for this year but have at it!
    kemikal wrote: »
    @MarsChelios, how dark are they supposed to be? Personally I think they look fine (amazing!) the way they are.
    @kemikal I imagined them being a little lighter, but I'm not surprised that there's a difference. Now that I've looked at them for awhile I'm not so against them being that dark but I'm still going to lighten the background a little just in case. The acetate (shiny) buttons in particular came out really nice. There's a visual layered effect going on with them that the camera doesn't do justice.

Just backed the $35 level for 5 kits. I'm pretty excited about this.

So, if going with a group, is it suggested that everyone be the same faction? Or does that not matter too much? What about if someone in your own group is your target?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Just backed the $35 level for 5 kits. I'm pretty excited about this.

So, if going with a group, is it suggested that everyone be the same faction? Or does that not matter too much? What about if someone in your own group is your target?
    Thanks @redfield85! It's not necessary for your group to be the same faction unless you all want to be. There's no guarantee that you will not get a mission that targets your own faction (lots of in-fighting among assassins!).

There's nothing to prevent your from forming a truce with friends, just be careful if you know they have you as a target, especially on the last day!

Congrats on the success of the Kickstarter. Impressive. I am also terrified knowing this is the largest group of participants yet. :-X

bYf6vNQ.png
  • JDCAceJDCAce Registered User regular
    I've signed up! Just don't kill me in the first 15 minutes!

Congrats on the success of the Kickstarter. Impressive. I am also terrified knowing this is the largest group of participants yet. :-X
    Thanks @redfield85, I'm a little terrified too!
    JDCAce wrote: »
    Welcome @JDCAce!

JDCAce wrote: »

Four of us going together are playing. I already know at least one might not show mercy. Haha.

I am going to try and choose a faction that will allow for an easy outfit to come up with. Either way, I plan on getting one of those quarterback play book arm thingies to put my target slip in so I can quickly check if I have to.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    I am going to try and choose a faction that will allow for an easy outfit to come up with. Either way, I plan on getting one of those quarterback play book arm thingies to put my target slip in so I can quickly check if I have to.

If you're getting a forum badge, the back of that lanyard works well to house this stuff as well.

vttym wrote: »

If you're getting a forum badge, the back of that lanyard works well to house this stuff as well.

But I wanna look super cool and check my wrist like Buzz Lightyear!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Just did the math on players and we are clocking in at over 165! It's a bit difficult to get an exact count at the moment because of extra kits added to pledges so keep in mind that number does not include those.

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    powerpunch wrote: »

PONIES

7B14287.png
  • KhaytorKhaytor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Are we going to start a Twitter # for intel purposes? Maybe #PaxEastAssassinSpotted. You could post where you find targets that aren't your own, or possibly set up an ambush by putting out false info. Just an idea...

Are the various groups based on specific things? Cowboy Verse' seems like it could be Firefly and Ponies... well, yea.

• mikedgmikedg Registered User regular
    Khaytor, setting up an ambush is a great idea. It would be even better if intel cards had some other people's targets on them, to help plan ambushes better?

• KiloGexKiloGex GM South ShoreRegistered User regular
    Me and 3 friends signed up. Cannot wait to do some ganking!