As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

smartphone apps for pax

N13N13 Registered User regular
edited January 2013 in PAX East
I mentioned this in the trading cards thread, but I thought it deserved its own.

What app(s) do you use at PAX to share new contact info? I've looked into it a little and found a couple of apps that are available for both iOS and Android. Both apps require use by both parties, so I wondered if there was an existing PAX user base, or if we could come to a consensus.

Bump
This is my favorite. Both parties need the Bump app, but it works cross-platform. Open the app and bump phones to exchange information. It uses the accelerometer and GPS in coordination with the Bump servers, and doesn't require NFC. I think it also lets you share photos.

Friendthem
This app shows Facebook and/or Twitter information for Friendthem users near you. You can then request a connection with them.

I also looked into Evernote Hello, which isn't for sharing contact info as much as it is for organizing your new contacts. Data input looks tedious, but otherwise the app looks useful for cases of "who was that guy I met waiting for the Make A Strip panel".

Does anyone know of alternatives, or of something combining the easy sharing of Bump or Friendthem with the management of Hello?

zerzhul on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2013
    Please actually consolidate smartphone apps for pax into this thread in general.

Regarding the OP: I have never used an app for contact sharing actually. I almost always just mentally bookmark forum names and get to them later. It's an interesting thought. Does bump let you customize what data you're sharing?

zerzhul on
  • sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    guide book, i think it used to be conventionest and usually the official pax guid is on it, i love that app

also so most people know usually boston get slammed with so many phones you can't make any calls or even use your data , i have had this happen both year with two diff phone companies and 3 phones (one year i had a sim card with 2 phones)

sillyzombie666 on
    I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
    Yeah, Guidebook is the official pax app, and is quite good.

YMMV on the cell phone issues. I've never once had cell issues at PAX East or Prime, using VZW.

• WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    At every PAX East, AT&T's 3G network trips over itself. If you absolutely need to use data or make a call and can't get through, turn off your 3G and use the Edge network. Works like a charm, albeit a slow, poky one :P

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • aj31907aj31907 You all can call me AJ. Registered User regular
    Last year. I have a jail broken iPhone it used edge and I was able to make phone calls.

• N13N13 Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Does bump let you customize what data you're sharing?
    I think so, but it's been a while since I've used it. I prefer Bump over Friendthem, because I won't have to have my Facebook info floating in the ether just to exchange contact info.

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Been to Pax last 2 years, verizon wireless, no issues.

• LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    Can anyone confirm whether or not Sprint has phone issues at East?

Lazorz wrote: »
    last year i had sprint and i'll have it this year, i had issues making calls

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    I had some lapses with my Virgin Mobile phone's service the past 2 years while I was there and last I checked, they're on Sprint's network

• N13N13 Registered User regular
    Can we get back to apps? Carrier coverage is off-topic, and could move to another thread.

They really go hand in hand, since many apps require some sort of data access. At this point it has basically been covered though.

In the future if you have an issue with posts in a thread, use the report function to notify a moderator.

• wildbohrwildbohr Fredericton, NBRegistered User regular
    I'm beginning work on the Pocket PAX (for Windows Phone) update for East 2013. Will be introducing new features.

• DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular

I personally didn't have any trouble using WiMAX for data last year, but I remember 3G being pretty slow. I'm not sure how the LTE coverage is around the convention center, but I'll try to scout it out once it's slightly warmer here.

• vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    wildbohr wrote: »
    I'm beginning work on the Pocket PAX (for Windows Phone) update for East 2013. Will be introducing new features.

This pleases me. If possible, don't forget about us WP7.5 folks if you plan on coding updates for WP8. :)

• miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Haven't heard of Pocket PAX...I'll 100% have to check it out, assuming I'm still using my Win7.5 HTC HD7 by the time PAX comes. May switch back to an Android device before hand if TMobile gives me a good deal....

As far as service wise, I remember having service generally in most places. Maybe missing in certain locations, but mostly wasn't too bad. Was running Edge and 3G though so kind of slow.

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
    Pocket PAX will definitely support 7.5. I may put in 7.8/8 wide tile support but that still allows compatibility with 7.5.

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Pocket Pax, WOOOTT, I checked you off as awesome

• ToddEvfToddEvf Insanity Chamber Studio, SCRegistered User regular
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    Pocket Pax, WOOOTT, I checked you off as awesome

very awesome, indeed.

fss_overall.png
  • Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    OpenMBTA is an app to have to help you get around Boston. It can be a little confusing to use at first, but so is the T system itself.

For any apps you have, do make sure they are updated. For ones like Guidebook, check for an update to it AT LEAST each morning of the con, as that is how it sends changes to schedules you have in it.

• SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Pocket PAX looks quite handy. Any chance of an iOS or Android version?

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    I find the Dropbox app is quite handy. At home I save the pdf's of things I want to it, then i favorite them on the phone so they are stored offline. YMMV, but having pdf's of maps and things offline on your phone, however you do it can be quite useful.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Man, I didn't expect so much excitement over a Windows Phone app. I generally have always used PAX Digital Assistant for stuff but I'm checking out Pocket PAX now.

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • TwiminyTwiminy Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Uber might be worth looking into. I've never used it myself as the service isn't available in my area, but I've heard decent things. Uber is an app that you use to basically summon a driver to you using your GPS and you pay via the app using an associated credit card. Has variable fares depending on your car's speed and how long it's taking (Stuck in traffic? The rate lowers)
    Kind of like a taxi but the cars are supposed to be nicer? No tipping either, if you're into that.

Twiminy on
    Wow! I'm glad to see people are excited about the next release of Pocket PAX! I am actually just wrapping up a coding session on the app right now. Making bug fixes and working out details and trying tech out for one of the new highly requested features (maps).

Schmulki - unfortunately I won't be making an android/ios version of the app, BUT the good news is that those platforms typically have the very awesome Guidebook app.

REMEMBER only 44 Days til PAX EAST 2013!

• ToddEvfToddEvf Insanity Chamber Studio, SCRegistered User regular
    Who knew there would be excitement for a wp app? And inquiries for a ios/android version? Its almost like bizzaro world. It feels strange to be on the inside looking out.

@wildbohr you are awesome. Can't wait to use Pocket PAX

fss_overall.png
    There have been some community created android apps in the past, but Guidebook is so good that there just hasn't been the demand for customized ios/android versions of community apps.

Once you get guidebook, you'll understand :) There just isn't a "native" app for WP from Guidebook, hence the "need" for a nice app like Pocket PAX.

yeah i used the guidbook and the conventionest (same app) the year before and i had no problems with it , loved it. it made finding rooms and events easy as hel

• Chaotic KittenChaotic Kitten Cat Whisperer, Chaos incarnate Registered User regular
    Some kind of QR code reader might be a good idea if you don't already have one, I saw a bunch of places that had special deals etc. as QR's, and I plan using them :P

I make videogames and hug cats.
    any one know when apps will be out

The guidebook guide should go out at the same time as the official schedule. Should be any day now.

Just waiting for the schedule to submit PocketPAX to the marketplace.

• Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Cool App I have been using at work and with friends is GroupMe. It's essentially a "group messageing service" for group messaging. The best part is it's cross platform for Apple/Andoid and you can add non-smartphone users into the group and it sends and recieved through SMS. It's very handy and good for if you are coming with a group and plan on splitting up and rejoining. Keeps everyone in the loop. You can also put taken pictures into the chat for everyone to see if you saw something cool, or can't find where something is.

Bunta_Fujiwara on
    zmYaVYP.png
    yeah, it's not bad, other than the fact that it *requires* you to give it a phone # for it to work. This would make sense if it was SMS only, but it sucks that to use it on android via the mobile app you still have to give it a #.

I think it's only because it has sms and app cross communication and it can send via both. That and you add people via phone numbers. But yeah I know some people are wary of giving their number out like that. To each his/her own.

zmYaVYP.png
    any idea if pocket pax will have an update for this pax or if it will just internally update

weZXr66.png
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
    miker525 wrote: »
    any idea if pocket pax will have an update for this pax or if it will just internally update

zerzhul wrote: »
    miker525 wrote: »

Thank ya

weZXr66.png
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
    Pocket PAX is only windows phone?

zmYaVYP.png
    Pocket PAX is only windows phone?

Yes. Guidebook doesn't have a native WP app, so Pocket PAX was created to fill that void.